• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

DJ_Lae

Part of me wants to try going to a Toys R Us. Part of me knows it's pointless.

I also question why I have any interest in amiibos in the first place. I got a free Link - he's pretty pointless, and he unlocks more stuff than most. I don't know why I want to spent $10 for paperweights.

I don't get the fascination with Amiibos, either. I've used one and it's left me pretty underwhelmed.

They don't really do that much.

I just like collecting my favourite characters.

I think I will focus on the ones that will definitely be used in a lot of core Nintendo games that I know I am going to buy.

zroid

Banned
crap, TRU lady told me the same thing with the 14th date.

is TRU the only place that screwed up? How about BB and FS?

well at least if they're being consistent with it, i might have a better shot of getting mine on the 14th...

DaBoss

People want affordable figurines of their favorite characters. I think that's the biggest appeal to them.

Not saying I'm interested in them. I'm not interested in then whatsoever.

I don't get the fascination with Amiibos, either. I've used one and it's left me pretty underwhelmed.

I keep having to tell myself I'm not interested, since a) I'm not going to use them very much, b) I don't care about 95% of the available characters, and c) it just feels like an excuse for Nintendo to abuse my goodwill with faux-limited-edition bullshit, stock shortages and collector speculation.

But there's a lizard-brain part of me that's like "BUT IMAGINE IF YOU GOT A MARTH AND THEN IT WENT WAY UP IN PRICE." I hate the lizard-brain part of me.

Yeah, it seems like people just want to display them which is cool, but it's a lot of money to buy them all just for that.

I've never purchased a Skylander, Disney Infinity character or Amiibo and don't think I will.

To each their own, though.

Using Link in Smash just left me thinking, "Is that it? Really, this is what people are excited about and lining up for?"

Yeah, it seems like people just want to display them which is cool, but it's a lot of money to buy them all just for that.

I've never purchased a Skylander, Disney Infinity character or Amiibo and don't think I will.

Using Link in Smash just left me thinking, "Is that it? Really, this is what people are excited about and lining up for?"

I'm going to say any lines you see now are a result of the Marth/Villager/WFT fiasco.

antibolo

Banned
I bought one amiibo because BB had a 50% off deal with purchase of Smash Wii U, and I find it pretty underwhelming. Not planning on getting any more of them.

I totally understand the appeal of owning affordable figurines of beloved Nintendo characters, but as a collector of Figmas and Nendoroids they are kinda boring to me.

Zing

Banned
I have many Amiibo and use the frequently. However, I do see that they are extremely limited in functionality.

They are simply more difficult CPU opponents that store a custom moveset and can be further customized in stats using equipment. That's it. If you are content with plain level 9 CPU opponents, then there is no need for these. If you want to be able to fight against or with a slightly specialized CPU while having a nifty looking statue on your shelf, then Amiibo is there.

I could do with or without them. If someone were to offer to buy my collection for the cost I paid, I'd do it. I'm happy to keep them though.

CRA5H

Stay strong. I had the same mentality then launch date came and thought sure i'll grab a Marth... then I grabbed the last villager.. then.. you know how this story ends.
It's just like Lays.. betcha can't eat just one.

DaBoss

I doubt people who were buying it for content bought it just for its functionality in Smash. It is like a season pass and lets them get content for any future games that supports amiibos. And it will be content featuring their favorite character in some way.

A long time ago I said "if they ever made a Smash collector's edition with a statue I would totally buy that". Someone at Nintendo must've heard me.

Still waiting for my royalty cheque.

Socreges

Banned
I'll ask here. Anyone in Toronto interested in a brand-new unopened Xbox 360 E model for $150? :)

I bought it for $92 before tax during Black Friday but went and got the 500GB model instead for $200 and got a free retail game (Forza Horizon 2) with it, so I have no need for it.

I can just refund the 4GB model, but maybe someone would want it and it'd be a bit of profit since with tax it'd be around $105.

Is that okay?

Edit: I'm open to different offers like trades. :)
Just to clarify, you're offering the Xbox E model (4 GB)? For $150? That you bought for $105? That is occasionally on sale for around $130?

teeg

I had no problem getting the Wave 2 Amiibo at my Toys R Us this morning.
Got there for open at 8am. 8 people in total waiting for open. 6 went for the Amiibos, 2 went for the 3DS + Gift Card Deal.
They had 4 Little Mac, 2 Diddy Kong and a bunch of Zelda.

I ended up giving my Diddy Kong to the guy behind me since I already got one at EB on Wednesday.

So they can technically sell them. I'm in Ontario. Maybe it's a provincial thing.

JazzmanZ

Went to the Toys r us for the buy 3 for 30 dollar deal, Didn't have any Diddys or Little macs boo.

Did nab Samus, Yoshi and Link through.

zroid

Banned
I'm keeping an eye on Zelda ISPU status on bestbuy.ca and it's gradually becoming available at more and more GTA stores. Warden and Downsview are a go right now. Still waiting for Markham (or perhaps Scarborough or Richmond Hill, but they are a bit far).

They're not going to override the price and give it to you for chump change. Kick up enough of a fuss and they'll give you a $20 GC to satisfy you.

If it was $300 or something they might give it to you.

They're not going to override the price and give it to you for chump change. Kick up enough of a fuss and they'll give you a $20 GC to satisfy you.

If it was $300 or something they might give it to you.

That's what I'm thinking. It'd just be a small profit considering the gas, so I'll wait I guess.

I'll stop posting about it, though, before I turn this into a blog due to my anxiety.

Both my Futureshop and Bestbuy PS4 web orders haven't been cancelled.

Oh fuck, it's Christmas.

with my order on FS, when I look at the charged section under credit card, it shows that I've only been charged for the filler item (I ordered an eraser), and not the PS4 price. Is it different for you?

with my order on FS, when I look at the charged section under credit card, it shows that I've only been charged for the filler item (I ordered an eraser), and not the PS4 price. Is it different for you?

For Futureshop, I haven't been charged for anything yet through Paypal.

But with BestBuy, I've already been charged.

For Futureshop, I haven't been charged for anything yet through Paypal.

But with BestBuy, I've already been charged.

My best buy order says that I've also been charged as well.

In my past experience ordering from them though, they'd have already sent notification that my order has shipped. I'm starting to think that all orders have been put on hold until they get around to cancelling them all.

I just checked my junk mail and the reservation email was there. Im gonna test my luck.

Best of luck!

isny

napkin dispenser
Alright, got back to a few of you about games. Still have most of them left for sale though:

Mario Kart 8
Hyrule Warriors (Pending sale, but PM if you want it)

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Pokemon Heart Gold
Planet Puzzle League
Theatrhythm Curtain Call
Smash 3DS
Layton VS Ace Attorney
Mario Gold 3DS

All are either new and sealed or in brand new condition and include everything.

Shoot me a PM if interested!

B-Dex

Does anyone know if EB actually still has white PS4s? They even have a deal on their website giving a discount on the expansion pass if you buy it with the bundle in-store only but then they won't tell you if its in stock anywhere.

Guess I can call around.

espher

Call Future Shop.
Get told they have all six amiibo I need in stock (Diddy, Mac, Zelda, Mario, DK, Samus).
Get told they can't hold them.
Immediately go online, attempt to make reserve in-store order. All are available except Diddy.
Place order.
Get called and told they can't do Mac.
Website still shows all five available.

This limited stock is ridiculous.

Sora_N

Call Future Shop.
Get told they have all six amiibo I need in stock (Diddy, Mac, Zelda, Mario, DK, Samus).
Get told they can't hold them.
Immediately go online, attempt to make reserve in-store order. All are available except Diddy.
Place order.
Get called and told they can't do Mac.
Website still shows all five available.

This limited stock is ridiculous.

I think everyone's trying to ispu them lol

Masmajora

Yeah...It didnt work out. The guy said that they had receieved an email from corporate telling them to alert people of the proper price. He also said they tried to call me, but i didnt get a call.

espher

I think everyone's trying to ispu them lol

We're talking a ~15m window from a phone call where I was told "we have all six, shouldn't be a problem, but we can't reserve" to "we only have four now, sorry".

I mean that is limited freaking stock. Not like I'm in a huge city. :p

orochi91

Yeah...It didnt work out. The guy said that they had receieved an email from corporate telling them to alert people of the proper price. He also said they tried to call me, but i didnt get a call.

So they're probably holding all deliveries as well then.

Expecting cancellation emails by evening now.

i-Jest

Although the adapter I ordered from Walmart was cancelled, my two GC Smash controllers came in the mail. Thought they wouldn't be here until next week (the 15th). Will patiently wait for adapters to pop back up. In the mean while, I'll take my time getting two more Smash GC controllers. Stocks already drying up slowly and when the adapters are available again I know the controllers will straight up disappear.

Top Bottom