• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Krixeus

Checkout at Target

B9GcAADCYAIsTub.jpg:large

lol the only time I've ever seen a line that big at Target.

krae_man

Glad I saw the deals were crap. That was the Target I was planning on going to.

There was a local news report with quotes from shoppers "the deals are crap but everything will be gone if I don't buy it now".

So dumb.

Krixeus

Glad I saw the deals were crap. That was the Target I was planning on going to.

There was a local news report with quotes from shoppers "the deals are crap but everything will be gone if I don't buy it now".

I read it as "Deals are crap but I'll come up with some weak logic to buy stuff that I probably don't even need".

Are there any slick deals on PS Vitas right now?

I want to get one for a friend who is not doing so hot, and I have this idea that I could load it up with months' worth of PS Plus games so he'd have something to do.

I'm not sure if that means I can't be online with a PS4 at that time... but I could always take a hiatus.

Luigi87

Toys r us is doing first come first serve so there's that option?

Oh, thanks for reminding me! I actually forgot a Toys 'R' Us opened right next to the Walmart I would have gone to (which is also down the street from FS), going there may indeed be my best bet.

Jesus, I don't buy things at 10% off. 10% off might as well be 0% off.

Same here, but I'll probably check anyway. It would be nice if Target showed inventory and prices on their Canadian website so I could see before I go, but no such luck (and it was probably one of the reasons Target failed here too.) I'd like to see if I can snag Persona Q with the Atlus tax discounted at least. You think that would be too much to ask of Target? I wonder.

Anyone go to Stockyards Target in Toronto?

That's the one I normally go to. Haven't gone yet. Will probably go tomorrow.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Oh, thanks for reminding me! I actually forgot a Toys 'R' Us opened right next to the Walmart I would have gone to (which is also down the street from FS), going there may indeed be my best bet.

Good luck next week! My buddy and I are doing the same so we're hoping there's some left over Majora Mask LE

Chilikar

I went to the Target at Pickering Town Centre in Toronto. It was alright, the sales were pretty disappointing [up to 30%, 5% off video games, and 20% off LEGO pieces (which was awesome)]. The line up was alright but I got there around 8am.

antibolo

Banned
Are there any slick deals on PS Vitas right now?

I want to get one for a friend who is not doing so hot, and I have this idea that I could load it up with months' worth of PS Plus games so he'd have something to do.

I'm not sure if that means I can't be online with a PS4 at that time... but I could always take a hiatus.

You can activate up to three PSPs/Vitas/PSTVs at a time on a single account simultaneously. It will not impact your PS4 usage at all, an account can be simultaneously online on more than one platform (but only one per platform at a time).

jholmes

As someone losing his job and having to constantly hear people bitch about the prices and actually have had people come in and make comments like "Told you so. Knew you would go out of business," and shit like that, one can understand that I am not fond of seeing similar on GAF as well.

Man I don't get this at all. I'm pretty mad at Target's idiots in Minneapolis but every single person I ever dealt with in a Canadian Target was excellent and I'll say this again: I've shopped in U.S. Targets quite a bit, and having realistic expectations, I would say I preferred the experience at Canadian Target quite a bit.

I'm sorry to see the chain go, I have no interest in supporting them in the U.S. but good people are losing their jobs due to the incompetence of upper management. Some people expected the world of Canadian Target, I guess because they know a guy who knows a guy who told them Target coming to Canada would be like Christ returning to earth. I just don't get it.

Man I don't get this at all. I'm pretty mad at Target's idiots in Minneapolis but every single person I ever dealt with in a Canadian Target was excellent and I'll say this again: I've shopped in U.S. Targets quite a bit, and having realistic expectations, I would say I preferred the experience at Canadian Target quite a bit.

Did you compare the experiences online?

RE_Player

Not really a huge deal but I went to Walmart to pick up some Xbox cards and they had some gift multipacks. 3 $15 cards + a $5 card for $45.

I'm sorry to see the chain go, I have no interest in supporting them in the U.S. but good people are losing their jobs due to the incompetence of upper management. Some people expected the world of Canadian Target, I guess because they know a guy who knows a guy who told them Target coming to Canada would be like Christ returning to earth. I just don't get it.

I don't mean to play devil's advocate but the customer's only job is to expect competitive prices and lots of product. Target didn't always have those. Like you said, this is almost all the fault of poor upper management. But I went into Target a couple times, and always left with little reason to come back.

Retail is a fickle bitch, if you don't some out of that gate swinging, you're gonna lose.

Mikey Jr.

Redbox is leaving Canada. I'm unimpressed. I was quite a fan of that service.

Are you fucking kidding me?

The fuck is going on with Canadians?

I mean, Target I kinda get.

But Redbox? The fuck. Blockbuster is gone, Rogers video is gone, and now Redbox is gone. Honestly, where the fuck am I supposed to rent movies now? Genuine question here. I love Redbox. $1.50 to rent a movie? What a great price.

No wonder people turn to illegal means.....

Are you fucking kidding me?

The fuck is going on with Canadians?

I mean, Target I kinda get.

But Redbox? The fuck. Blockbuster is gone, Rogers video is gone, and now Redbox is gone. Honestly, where the fuck am I supposed to rent movies now? Genuine question here. I love Redbox. $1.50 to rent a movie? What a great price.

No wonder people turn to illegal means.....

Redbox is leaving because people turn to illegal means or use one of the 3 streaming services we now have,

Palehorse

Redbox is leaving Canada. I'm unimpressed. I was quite a fan of that service.

Yep that sucks. I use it a bunch too and wondered why I saw machines disappearing. I guess the Can dollar is just too weak to keep these businesses here.

Will we see a Canadian alternative? Someone should buy the Redbox machines and operate it..

Yep that sucks. I use it a bunch too and wondered why I saw machines disappearing. I guess the Can dollar is just too weak to keep these businesses here.

Will we see a Canadian alternative? Someone should buy the Redbox machines and operate it..

i dont think it was the dollar, i bet they just werent being used enough. Best Buy had a few of these machines too, but that didn't last long

i dont think it was the dollar, i bet they just werent being used enough. Best Buy had a few of these machines too, but that didn't last long

I don't recall seeing any at my local Future Shop and that would have been a nice logical place to put it. It's got electronics, it's got entertainment, you're thinking movies. But the only place I ever saw a Redbox was outside a supermarket. You've got a full shopping cart, you're just about to take it to the car and you see this box. You're not in the mindset of "Hey maybe I should rent a movie to go with this food," you're already thinking "I need to get this milk home."

Redbox is leaving because people turn to illegal means or use one of the 3 streaming services we now have,

To be honest, I'm surprised services like Redbox have even lasted this long. The only reasons I can think of not to rent through someone like iTunes or Google Play are a) bandwidth caps and b) you don't have a compatible device that plugs into your TV. The latter reason is easy to get around--Chromecasts are $25. I can understand wanting to own a physical movie, but renting one?

I don't recall seeing any at my local Future Shop and that would have been a nice logical place to put it. It's got electronics, it's got entertainment, you're thinking movies. But the only place I ever saw a Redbox was outside a supermarket. You've got a full shopping cart, you're just about to take it to the car and you see this box. You're not in the mindset of "Hey maybe I should rent a movie to go with this food," you're already thinking "I need to get this milk home."

im sure Future Shop has zero interest in giving people a reason to rent movies from another company than buy the ones they sell.

jholmes

Did you compare the experiences online?

This however is totally fair. However as I understand it's also totally on Minneapolis.

I don't mean to play devil's advocate but the customer's only job is to expect competitive prices and lots of product. Target didn't always have those. Like you said, this is almost all the fault of poor upper management. But I went into Target a couple times, and always left with little reason to come back.

Retail is a fickle bitch, if you don't some out of that gate swinging, you're gonna lose.

I definitely agree, but I also found the prices competitive, the stores attractive and the product ample. That last part may just be what I found, I'll freely admit that.

I definitely agree, but I also found the prices competitive, the stores attractive and the product ample. That last part may just be what I found, I'll freely admit that.

yeah, totally. i have no don't there were many super satisfied Target customers. evidently, there just weren't enough of them

Are you from Calgary as well? Do you know when they'll be officially closing down? I'm probably heading down there next weekend.

Actually, I'm most likely gonna go there, then head to Vancouver a few days later.

Can anyone recommend me some good retro gaming shops in those 2 cities? I'm looking to pick up a few things that I haven't been able to find here.

Sorry for missing your post!

I'm in Toronto, but the sales associate at my store said their last day was on the 10 of this month.

Just wanted to thank whoever decided to move the Amiibo discussion to its own thread. We've already saved 1,200 posts that would have cluttered this thread. It's cool that people are into Amiibo, but I personally find that stuff pretty stupid.

All cash registers were open at Target this morning, and they were directing people in like traffic. Still, the line was from one end of the store to just less than 3/4 of the way to the other.

DJ_Lae

To be honest, I'm surprised services like Redbox have even lasted this long. The only reasons I can think of not to rent through someone like iTunes or Google Play are a) bandwidth caps and b) you don't have a compatible device that plugs into your TV. The latter reason is easy to get around--Chromecasts are $25. I can understand wanting to own a physical movie, but renting one?

Cost and quality, for me. $6 for an HD rental, and not up to the quality of an actual Blu-ray. It's $2 at Redbox, and I do enough small shopping trips that picking up movies and dropping them off isn't much of a problem. They also had a ton of promos on, so I was paying 50 cents for a movie half the time.

Streaming does have the advantage of convenience I guess, but I'll be renting a lot fewer movies as a result.

Harusame

I didn't work during the first day of liquidation at Target, but I did feel many of co-workers and TLs' pain as they have posted some photos of how the day went, from putting up signage at 4AM in the morning, the massive lines. I also do feel quite sorry for those that had to work hardlines and brand as well.

Saturday

My Target was.. well, jeez. I've been with Target since a little before it opened, so I've been through Black Friday/Boxing Day. Today outclassed both days quite easily. We're still expecting shipments, but they're being delayed or.. I'm not sure, the consensus is the driver drove off to mexico with his ill-gained loot.

Apparently my Target is slated to be open for a good.. 2 more months. I hope that was hyperbole.

Also, the customers are.. volatile. Much swearing, parking lot is a battleground (Some seriously angry drivers,) apparently two people just straight up had a fist-fight in the elevators. I've my doubts about the last one, but I'd like to believe.

Honestly, it's all a bit amusing. With plenty of overtime, I'm on this ride 'till the very end. If I don't get canned, anyway, and god knows if (when?) that'll happen.

Anyway, an actual tidbit. Apparently whichever targets get their shipments from Alberta (BC/AB targets then?) are expected to get mostly clothing. Distribution Centre's full of em.

Harusame

My Target was.. well, jeez. I've been with Target since a little before it opened, so I've been through Black Friday/Boxing Day. Today outclassed both days quite easily. We're still expecting shipments, but they're being delayed or.. I'm not sure, the consensus is the driver drove off to mexico with his ill-gained loot.

Apparently my Target is slated to be open for a good.. 2 more months. I hope that was hyperbole.

Also, the customers are.. volatile. Much swearing, parking lot is a battleground (Some seriously angry drivers,) apparently two people just straight up had a fist-fight in the elevators. I've my doubts about the last one, but I'd like to believe.

Honestly, it's all a bit amusing. With plenty of overtime, I'm on this ride 'till the very end. If I don't get canned, anyway, and god knows if (when?) that'll happen.

Anyway, an actual tidbit. Apparently whichever targets get their shipments from Alberta (BC/AB targets then?) are expected to get mostly clothing. Distribution Centre's full of em.
That's interesting to note. The trucks that we have been receiving from the DC in Alberta have more or less been domestics, furniture and housewares. Since there are no more break-packs, we haven't actually received to much clothing though. But that might change if what you said is true. The people that deal with fashion during truck days will have will have a great time then...

Saturday

That's interesting to note. The trucks that we have been receiving from the DC in Alberta have more or less been domestics, furniture and housewares. Since there are no more break-packs, we haven't actually received to much clothing though. But that might change if what you said is true. The people that deal with fashion during truck days will have will have a great time then...

Yeah, that's a familiar tune; lots of bulky items, no break-packs. We were told of that before, and it's been accurate so far, so I take this with 2 grains of salt as opposed to the one.

Top Bottom