• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Man, this thread is incredibly slow, all things considered. Only like two pages since the deals began? This really must be a bunk year for Boxing Day sales

Man, this thread is incredibly slow, all things considered. Only like two pages since the deals began? This really must be a bunk year for Boxing Day sales

for the ps4, the psn december deals have matched or beaten anything available at the b&ms. if you don't have to have physical copies, it was easily the best way to go...

ohlawd

This saves me from going anywhere.

But, Metro Redux says it usually ships in 1-4 months...

don't worry about it lol

I ordered a hard drive from them on Dec 21, est delivery was Jan 5, shipped on the 22nd and I got it at night time on the 23rd. All with the molasses free shipping. No Prime, no nothing.

don't worry about it lol

I ordered a hard drive from them on Dec 21, est delivery was Jan 5, shipped on the 22nd and I got it at night time on the 23rd. All with the molasses free shipping. No Prime, no nothing.

I hope you're right.

Delivery Estimate:
February 26, 2015 - April 6, 2015

The Last of Us is in stock, but I went with free shipping so it will be shipped together. I mean, with what I got for Christmas and my backlog, I don't really need them right away. But, February-April would be ridiculous if it actually took that long.

kitzkozan

Dunno if it happened to someone else here, but something screwed up my Ebgames online order last night which confuse me.

I wanted to order online instead of waiting in a line on the 26th, so I was in the process of buying Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD. I had a gift card with a balance on it and scratched the pin number to use it online. It correctly showed the remaining balance on it and I was now on the payment page, but had to leave momentarily for my Christmas party. I came back home to complete my order and all of a sudden, there was no money left on my gift card? I mean WTF, talk about a bad Christmas present. XD I never completed the order in the first place, so the money should still be on the gift card to begin with. I'm guessing some sort of bug erased it away since the site eventually booted me out after 15 minutes of inactivity (session expired / timed out) or I got hacked somehow.

ryanmac

Banned
Does anyone have experience with refurbished consoles? I'm tempted by the Best Buy refurbished Xbox One with Kinect for 349 deal.

Dr.brain64

Looking at the PS flashsale - I see the walking dead season 2 PS4 - does that mean the whole season or just a chapter? And is it worth it at that price ($6.25)?? Thanks.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Looking at the PS flashsale - I see the walking dead season 2 PS4 - does that mean the whole season or just a chapter? And is it worth it at that price ($6.25)?? Thanks.

If it says Season 2, what do you think it means?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Should I order Alpha Sapphire and Smash for 3DS from Future Shop now, or is there a possibility it might get cheaper at BB/FS? (I have some gift cards)

i-Jest

Should I order Alpha Sapphire and Smash for 3DS from Future Shop now, or is there a possibility it might get cheaper at BB/FS? (I have some gift cards)

Nintendo first party games tend to hold their value well except for the occasional sale. Even then, they maybe exempt or might not be notably discounted. I'd get them now and save your gift cards for next Junes E3 sales.

Canon

Banned
Should I buy the Dell U2715H for $549 or wait until 4K goes on sale. They have a 27" 4K display at $759. Would need to buy a new graphics card (actually probably need to anyway).

I want to run games on it at native resolution but I don't want to spend a fortune on upgrading my computer.

Yeah. The past few Boxing Days weren't great either, but I was always able to find 1 or 2 things I wanted.

This year it was just Tales of Xillia 2 from Amazon and nothing else. I was really counting on an Xbox One deal this year. Might just fight my way to the Microsoft Store here and just take them up on that $399 AC Unity bundle with a free game aka Halo MCC and I'll get Sunset Overdrive from Amazon

for the ps4, the psn december deals have matched or beaten anything available at the b&ms. if you don't have to have physical copies, it was easily the best way to go...
Unless you are out of HDD. I can see that I'm going to hit my 2TB cap on my PS4 sometime this year at this rate.

No_Style

This is the saddest boxing day in memory.

I think its worse than last years.

**Not singling you out; I'm just using your post as a jump off point.**

I'm very curious what people were expecting. This was in-line with my expectations. I pre-populated a bunch of deals and large number of them were just a toggle switch away because they lined up. With the arrival of a "proper" Black Friday in Canada, you're not going to get a drastic reduction for Boxing Day.

I've pointed it out to friend of mine who was wondering why the PC parts that he wanted weren't on sale. Boxing Day should really be known as "Inventory Clear Out" Day. You're not going to get what you want unless:

1. What you want is in line with what retailers want to move
  2. What you want is in line with what manufacturers/publishers wish to move

A $30 copy of Treasure Tracker isn't going to appear unless Nintendo stuffed the channels or are willing to discount it to move. Occasionally, you'll see a retailer undercut its competitors but then miraculously don't have enough stock to last a day.

With that said, Here are some of my personal highlights and observations:

• I was surprised by the price of Metro: Redux. I expected it to hit $30 at retail first.
  • Smash Bros for Wii U for $20 off is quite the deal. Newly released Nintendo title for that price is quite attractive for those who weren't in on day one.
  • Sunset Overdrive for $25 was nice as well.
  • I was surprised by the Boxing Day NHL15 & LBP3 PS4 bundle from Sony; I thought they were going to repeat the Black Friday bundle. It's a good match for families who wanted a E for Everyone bundle.
  • Microsoft pushing refurbished Xbox Ones is weird.

For your own sanity, view this day and Black Friday like any other flyer day. You'll be happier that way.

Unless you are out of HDD. I can see that I'm going to hit my 2TB cap on my PS4 sometime this year at this rate.

i suppose if you have to have immediate access to absolutely everything you've downloaded, & can't bring yourself to delete anything you've ever purchased, this could present a problem :) (seriously - has 2tb worth of stuff even been released for the ps4 at this point?)...

Krixeus

I didn't expect much from last years Boxing Day sales, since the next gen consoles had only been out for about a month and a half at that point so it would be unrealistic to expect much in terms of sales for those games. This year, I don't really see much of an excuse. None of the current gen game deals are all that great, and games that usually get a heavy discount (like Call of Duty and Assassins Creed) aren't really discounted that much this year as far as I know.

TheKurgan

Pretty tempted to pick up the PS4 500GB LastofUs/GTA5/Farcry4 bundle at Bestbuy tomorrow. Any better PS4 deals available right now?

ohlawd

I'm happy this year like I am every year every holiday

Strange Journey and Chrono Trigger for 52 bucks including shipping tax. Finally freaking got a hard drive for my Xbox One. Now I can enjoy shorter loading times even if it's only a couple of seconds at best. Set me back 112 with tax. 3TB is hella plenty. Should last me until this gen ends. Metro Redux for 20 tomorrow probably.

I'm not hard to please though.

i suppose if you have to have immediate access to absolutely everything you've downloaded, & can't bring yourself to delete anything you've ever purchased, this could present a problem :) (seriously - has 2tb worth of stuff even been released for the ps4 at this point?)...
all games install, some at full 50GB, so it's possible right now. I'm at the 1TB mark right now with around 16 retail games and the span of ps plus games.

all games install, some at full 50GB, so it's possible right now. I'm at the 1TB mark right now with around 16 retail games and the span of ps plus games.

well, as i said, how many of those 16 games (never mind the other ones) are you actually interested in playing occasionally at this point?...

as a 'one game at a time' kinda guy, i guess i just can't imagine wanting/needing to have immediate access to that many different games...

No_Style

None of the current gen game deals are all that great, and games that usually get a heavy discount (like Call of Duty and Assassins Creed) aren't really discounted that much this year as far as I know.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare received a $20 discount across a lot of retailers which doesn't usually happen. In the past, it was always a $10 discount down from $59.99 to $49.99.

Assassin's Creed: Unity received are $30 discount. I used to wait until this time to pick up an AC game because 3 years ago a $30 discount meant it was going from $59.99 to $29.99.

And last year's Call of Duty: Ghost can be picked up for $10. It's worth noting that this never happened before. You couldn't find a Call of Duty title for less than $30 before Ghosts. I believe that speaks to the quality of the game though.

The new $69.99 MSRP is skewing things. We're receiving sizeable discounts but the $10 increase from earlier this softened the discounts.

at Visions Electronics you can get a Xbox One referb for $328 (includes 2 unlisted games) on Boxig Day only. It claims to be below cost, and FS/BB is selling the same thing for $350.

That's pretty darn cheap considering the regular price... that's almost down to the price of a Wii U.

Top Bottom