• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

zroid

Banned
I don't know, I really enjoy the airbrushed look.

i8x9jqpnbmlg8iajxa4s.jpg

If this didn't have the "Monster Hunter 4G" text it would be perfect >__>

Kiro

Preordered MM3DS. Though I may change it to a black 3ds in the coming weeks. I am not sure if I'm a limited edition kind of person, I like sleek black ones. Though the Zelda WiiU I have is sweet.

Decisions, decisions...

Roto13

It bombed at $249.99 US.

That would be around $289.99 now, I believe.

$199 US is the price the original XL launched at with success.

Exchange rate to the US:

March 2011 - 1.02396980
December 2014 - 0.86711289

3DS launch price 249US/249CND
n3DS launch price 199US/229CND

Can I stop beating this dead horse?

The average person does not think about this or care. It's still a $230 handheld.

Ryde3

Now I'm starting to regret the Zelda one.

Hmm, Amiibos aren't up right? No retailer exclusive this time?

I don't think so but I now know to pre-order EVERY amiibo I think I want, and return if I don't.

I need that Toad! I also like the second Luigi amiibo much more.

The average person does not think about this or care. It's still a $230 handheld.
I agree, it's pretty bad. Their argument for the price conscience (kids) is still at the 2DS, which is better.

Nintendo's naming, and these multi level strategy is definitely a page out of Apple, although much less successful with it's confusing name. It's very much like how a new iPad right now can be the iPad mini ($349 with old as shit hardware) to the iPad Air 2 (maxed out at $769). They all still browse the web and play most of the same games.
People who bought a 3DS or Vita at launch are :p
Yup, $249 launch with SF4. And I got it as I was getting let go to from making games.

HA.

zroid

Banned
Sure Nintendo would lose a bit of money on each sale if they kept going with $200 CAD but making it $230 CAD means fewer Canadians can afford their product. We don't have more money to spend all of a sudden just because our dollar is tanking.

There's a compromise somewhere between charging the same as the US price and taking the hit, and charging up to the exchange rate (which today would be about $240). So they chose $230, which is on the high side of acceptable to me...

What I find pretty unconscionable is when they charge MORE THAN the exchange rate which is what $70 games were for a while.

Sure Nintendo would lose a bit of money on each sale if they kept going with $200 CAD but making it $230 CAD means fewer Canadians can afford their product. We don't have more money to spend all of a sudden just because our dollar is tanking.

There's a compromise somewhere between charging the same as the US price and taking the hit, and charging up to the exchange rate (which today would be about $240). So they chose $230, which is on the high side of acceptable to me...

What I find pretty unconscionable is when they charge MORE THAN the exchange rate which is what $70 games were for a while.
This is more of the general Canadian deals issue: I think moving forward this year, a lot of companies will reevaluate their Canadian prices and move upwards. Apple and now Nintendo have done so, and it's going to happen soon for many things.

yeah, this $230 thing doesn't bother me at all. It's well on the fair end of what they could be charging, as it's well below what the actual exchange rate is. as it stands, we are actually getting the system for about $190 US.

I mean, it's the economy. It isn't Nintendo screwing us for profit's sake, it's what the dollar is worth.

Luigi87

yeah, this $230 thing doesn't bother me at all. It's well on the fair end of what they could be charging, as it's well below what the actual exchange rate is. as it stands, we are actually getting the system for about $190 US.

I mean, it's the economy. It isn't Nintendo screwing us for profit's sake, it's what the dollar is worth.
Agreed. Seeing how bad our dollar is, we are actually kind of lucky to only pay $69 for $59 US games. I hate admitting that, but it really is that bad.

Pretty much. People gave Sony a lot of flak for jacking up the PS4 price, but $449 CAD is actually only $375 USD, I wouldn't be shocked if it goes to $499 later this year if the dollar keeps falling.

$230 for the new 3DS is a pretty good deal, I paid $199 for my XL a while back when the dollar was much stronger.

The Marth amiibo reprint has me scared that it will show up on EBGames or Amazon unexpectedly and I'll miss it again. I need more info on this reprint now! I don't want to wait any longer!

Zeeman

I didn't realize how bad the exchange rate was right now. Paying $260 (including HST) is still a lot for a handheld, it's not like I'm making more money to counteract the weak dollar.

when it comes to Codename: S.T.E.A.M. does a pre-order from any retailer get you the MM pin, or only from a select retailer, like ebgames?

edit: nevermind looks like its gs/eb exclusive

Top Bottom