• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

DJ_Lae

Sure Nintendo would lose a bit of money on each sale if they kept going with $200 CAD but making it $230 CAD means fewer Canadians can afford their product. We don't have more money to spend all of a sudden just because our dollar is tanking.

Yup. I'm not magically making more money every hour when the dollar dips, so jacking the price of this thing up $30 is more irritating than anything (especially when the MM edition doesn't even come with the game).

Makes me appreciate Microsoft leaving the One the same.

Yup. I'm not magically making more money every hour when the dollar dips, so jacking the price of this thing up $30 is more irritating than anything (especially when the MM edition doesn't even come with the game).

Makes me appreciate Microsoft leaving the One the same.

It sucks but it's not Nintendo's fault our dollar is tanking. They have a bottom line to manage and price adjustments are part of that sometimes. It's good of Microsoft to leave the One at 399 but part of me thinks that's just because they know it's already being outsold by a $50 more PS4 and that hiking the price up more would pretty much kill it in Canada.

Sure Nintendo would lose a bit of money on each sale if they kept going with $200 CAD but making it $230 CAD means fewer Canadians can afford their product. We don't have more money to spend all of a sudden just because our dollar is tanking.

Lol congrats, you just stumbled upon why the low price for gas is actually a bad thing, and it sucks that our economy is doing shitty. Still doesn't mean fucking Nintendo is to blame haha

I posted in the "not including a charger is stupid" thread, but the n3DS isn't for the families, soccer moms, little kids, etc. They don't care about a C-stick or more processing power or better face tracking. They'll buy a 2DS for half the price and Pokemon/Mario and call it a day.

The MH4 model looks so much better than the MM one but I will probably end up with the MM one because it's Zelda.

On Redflagdeals someone posted a WiiU deluxe at EB going for $150. It's pandemonium now with people trying to score one as the usual community is hoarding them as we speak. Goodluck finding one for those of you that want one...

I bought that yellow Pikachu 3DS XL, and almost instantly regretted it. I realized I don't want a tacky design on my system, no matter what game it's on. The only saving grace is that the Pikachu XL is actually limited as fuck, and worth something now.

Lol congrats, you just stumbled upon why the low price for gas is actually a bad thing, and it sucks that our economy is doing shitty. Still doesn't mean fucking Nintendo is to blame haha

Yeah, filling my gas tank went from $50-55 to $30-35 each time. So, that money "saved" there I guess is going to this n3DS, heh.

I bought that yellow Pikachu 3DS XL, and almost instantly regretted it. I realized I don't want a tacky design on my system, no matter what game it's on. The only saving grace is that the Pikachu XL is actually limited as fuck, and worth something now.

Sold mine for 375 last night. It's paying for my New 3DS :)

iphys

There's a compromise somewhere between charging the same as the US price and taking the hit, and charging up to the exchange rate (which today would be about $240). So they chose $230, which is on the high side of acceptable to me...

What I find pretty unconscionable is when they charge MORE THAN the exchange rate which is what $70 games were for a while.

Too bad there's no standard-sized model like everywhere else in the world. Then they could have priced it at C$199.99 to have something at a price that doesn't scare away the average consumer.

But also, we shouldn't just be comparing to the US$. The 18,800 yen the new XL is priced at in Japan translates to US$161 or C$192, so it seems like Nintendo is just taking advantage of the high US dollar to bleed more money out of NA in general.

You weren't hot on those pikachu nips?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
On Redflagdeals someone posted a WiiU deluxe at EB going for $150. It's pandemonium now with people trying to score one as the usual community is hoarding them as we speak. Goodluck finding one for those of you that want one...

I can confirm. I called the EBgames near me, they have one remaining for $150. I'll swing by and see if I can pick it up for a friend. RFD definitely out there sweeping them all up though. Get out there after work and buy tonight if you're interested.

$150 Wii U would be sweet if I didn't already have one. How much could you scalp it for anyway? $200? After taxes you're not making much. At $250 you might as well get a bundle.

Missed the Amiibo announcement with all the n3DS talk. Lucina and Toad yesssss

Zing

Banned
Hmm can't combine the two EB games offers. Too bad. I was having flashbacks to when we got Nintendo DS Lites for free with five games traded in.

I own an XL but it is in the box. I use an OG model instead. Maybe I'll break out the XL and see what I think.

The problem is that I got my daughter hyped for the new 3DS faceplates last year and now I doubt we will ever get them. I can't believe that until yesterday, I thought the stupidest thing Nintendo could do was only offer us one colour of system. I never guessed they would be this stupid to offer neither colour of system. Absurd.

Harusame

So I came back from EBgames and pre-ordered the Majora's Mask n3DS XL. I did ask about how their trade-in would work if you were to trade in your 3DS as well as transfer all your data and what not, but the person was not entirely sure how the procedure would work. She did say that their internet in-store would be up by then (their router had to get fixed) but she also did say she would try figure out how that would work when I came by the next time. In the mean time, would anyone know exactly the procedure would go?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
230? God damn.

It's too bad FS is out of the trade-in game... I remember trading in 5 crap games for a 3DS XL back in the day.

So I came back from EBgames and pre-ordered the Majora's Mask n3DS XL. I did ask about how their trade-in would work if you were to trade in your 3DS as well as transfer all your data and what not, but the person was not entirely sure how the procedure would work. She did say that their internet in-store would be up by then (their router had to get fixed) but she also did say she would try figure out how that would work when I came by the next time. In the mean time, would anyone know exactly the procedure would go?

At that point, you just need to get a really cool employee that will let you do it in store (which might not even be feasible, it can take hours), or you're fucked.

It's incredibly dumb how Nintendo handles that.

soultron

Banned
I can confirm. I called the EBgames near me, they have one remaining for $150. I'll swing by and see if I can pick it up for a friend. RFD definitely out there sweeping them all up though. Get out there after work and buy tonight if you're interested.

This is crazy. I wish I knew about this earlier and didn't have to work today. I'd be all over that.

I may still pick it up instead of my black.

I am hardly a reseller. I am too lazy for that.

The fact that it's rare makes me want it more.

Ah ok, then go for it :)

I also don't have a problem with people getting fair market value for their products. Just don't like the idea of scooping up items with the sole intent of making profit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FS is not doing trade ins anymore?
Yeah, they do but not like before.
I literally found 5 shitty 19.99 games at Staples and traded those in for a new 3ds XL at Futureshop back when it first launched.

I'm tempted to trade in my XL for the nXL, but I need to do a system transfer. Does that mean trading in isn't an option?
EB usually lets you do a transfer before handing in your system. At least that's how I heard 3ds to 3ds XL swaps worked.

I recall my EB letting me take the 3DS XL home, do the transfer, and then giving me store credit for the amount of the trade deal for the OG 3DS.

I thought that was fair.

Palehorse

I had the same thought. I'd be asking for some private time with both systems to do the transfer before they took the old one off my hands.

I did call in to an EB and the dude said they had no stock limits, that they could take preorders all day, but most likely wouldn't be taking them tomorrow. (for MM 3DSXL)

yo quebec gaf, If anyone there is looking for a copy of Xenoblade chronicles, there's an ebgames at:

600 Boulevard Laurier

J3G 4J2 - Beloeil

that apparently has one used in stock for 39.99 according to the website. here is the number:

450-446-5335

zroid

Banned
230? God damn.

It's too bad FS is out of the trade-in game... I remember trading in 5 crap games for a 3DS XL back in the day.

good times... I paid $70 for the 5 games combined :lol

Funny to think I could trade in that same XL for $100 toward a New XL at EB, 3 years later

firehawk12

Subete no aware
good times... I paid $70 for the 5 games combined :lol

Funny to think I could trade in that same XL for $100 toward a New XL at EB, 3 years later
I probably should do that, even though for some reason, I'm sentimentally attached to it. I still have my original "blue" 3ds come to think of it.

Which adapters are compatible with nxl?
Every adapter previously released up to the Nintendo DSi.

I really hope they consider patching in controller support but this is Nintendo.

I would finally play Skyward Sword if they did this.
Yeah, so many games I'd go back and rebuy if they did that.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope they consider patching in controller support but this is Nintendo.

I would finally play Skyward Sword if they did this.

How would Skyward Sword even work without motion controls? It's not something they could easily patch-in, it would need a major re-imagining of the game mechanics.

230 for a handheld is horrible........and no AC adapter is laughable

Is it the same AC adapter as the regular 3ds? How much does a new 3ds AC adapter cost? Will 3rd party ones blow up?

Returners

This is more of the general Canadian deals issue: I think moving forward this year, a lot of companies will reevaluate their Canadian prices and move upwards. Apple and now Nintendo have done so, and it's going to happen soon for many things.

Sigh, it's going to happen soon for PSN, I just know it.

Top Bottom