• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Really hope either Amazon or BestBuy has some sort of preorder deal before E3. I don't want to pay $80 for Atelier Sophie.

Really hope either Amazon or BestBuy has some sort of preorder deal before E3. I don't want to pay $80 for Atelier Sophie.

There's a 99% chance you'll miss that one by a week. AS releases june 7th E3 starts the 14th(?) Which is when those deals generally kick in give or take a day or two.

Clov

There's a 99% chance you'll miss that one by a week. AS releases june 7th E3 starts the 14th(?) Which is when those deals generally kick in give or take a day or two.

Yeah, it's really annoying me. I'd even be willing to deal with $70, but $80 is just ridiculous.

Yeah, it's really annoying me. I'd even be willing to deal with $70, but $80 is just ridiculous.
I feel you man, the last time I paid retail for a game was scholar of the first sin for the xbone. and even then that was still when we were in the 69.99 price gap.

jred2k

Can I walk into a Best Buy and find that Splatoon/Smash Wii U bundle or are those all gone?

That seemed to just be a holiday thing that's sold out now. It's still listed on BB.ca, but that probably just means some remote store has stock or something.

Also, I think the copies of Until Dawn coming in to stock yesterday was from various stores being seen as part of inventory. My copy is coming from the Sudbury BB location.

My friend randomly went to Playdium with his nephew tonight, so I tagged along. I'd never been there before.

I saw that there was a Walmart across the road, so I walked the ten minutes there in the cold in a t-shirt.

They had at least one copy of Until Dawn. So I went up to the CSR and asked her if she would price match Best Buy.

She said, "Yes, we normally would. If you come back tomorrow, we will. I can't do it tonight because we put the keys away.

THERE WAS STILL 25 MINUTES TO CLOSE.

Take this with a massive grain of salt, as Sophie is already a break with Atelier tradition because of the next-gen upgrade and the simultaneous Vita release, but it's worth noting that every PS3 Atelier game retailed for $10 less than the usual MSRP. Nights of Azure is also selling on Amazon for $69.99. So there is a chance it won't debut at $80.

I really really hope it doesn't debut at $80.

Clov

Take this with a massive grain of salt, as Sophie is already a break with Atelier tradition because of the next-gen upgrade and the simultaneous Vita release, but it's worth noting that every PS3 Atelier game retailed for $10 less than the usual MSRP. Nights of Azure is also selling on Amazon for $69.99. So there is a chance it won't debut at $80.

I really really hope it doesn't debut at $80.

So you think that if I wait a few days, Amazon could drop its price by a little bit? $70 is still a tough price to ask for, but I'd be willing to bite. I ended up getting Splatoon at around that price last year after all.

So you think that if I wait a few days, Amazon could drop its price by a little bit? $70 is still a tough price to ask for, but I'd be willing to bite. I ended up getting Splatoon at around that price last year after all.

Oh crap, I didn't notice that the North American version is finally on Amazon. I checked yesterday and only saw the Japanese version without bothering to scroll down.

Well shit.

DayEnder

Did you just show them the ad on your phone?, I have never price matched before but I'am curious what they will accept.

I showed them on my phone. Went to the page on BestBuy.ca, pulled up Until Dawn, guy saw $19.99 and said they would match it since it was on the official site. He mentioned problems in the past of fake Amazon pages so they wanted to see me go to the site. Overall pretty good experience. Walmart is getting better at customer service.

Clov

Oh crap, I didn't notice that the North American version is finally on Amazon. I checked yesterday and only saw the Japanese version without bothering to scroll down.

Well shit.

I take that to mean that we're fucked?

Then again, Nights of Azure started out as $85 CAD on Amazon. Right now it's $70. Maybe a bit of waiting will pay off?

It will only notify you of your desired price but you can just put a $0.01 difference so that you will get notify of any price change.

Where do you add the difference?

EDIT: Oh ok...I think I got it. I place a desired price of $0.01 difference then the highest price, and any time it dips below that, I'll automatically be notified. So essentially it'll notify me of the price I set, or lower. Is that right?

Sora_N

Then again, Nights of Azure started out as $85 CAD on Amazon. Right now it's $70. Maybe a bit of waiting will pay off?

Well waiting always pays off, Tales of Zestiria is $50 now. I think it slowly dropped.

I hope I can get Nights of Azure around $50 soon though.

Lexxism

EDIT: Oh ok...I think I got it. I place a desired price of $0.01 difference then the highest price, and any time it dips below that, I'll automatically be notified. So essentially it'll notify me of the price I set, or lower. Is that right?
Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry.

khaaan

I sent Walmart an angry email last night because they wasted my time for no reason. Waiting to hear back now.

About the Until Dawn?

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I doubt they'll do much other than give you an apology though. At least you got to check out Playdium. I haven't been in ages (at least ~7 years) but the last time I remember going there and seeing that the arcade games had shrunk and they had more of those gambling/luck type of games.

About the Until Dawn?

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I doubt they'll do much other than give you an apology though. At least you got to check out Playdium. I haven't been in ages (at least ~7 years) but the last time I remember going there and seeing that the arcade games had shrunk and they had more of those gambling/luck type of games.

I'm hoping they'll send a gift card for my wasted time, but it's not likely. It's bullshit, though, because that was a bit of a walk and it was cold out (I forgot a jacket).

Playdium was okay. I wouldn't go back, though. There are a few cool arcade games, but that's about it. So many betting/gimmick games.

I'd never been before.

Sora_N

Playdium still exists? Wow. They had one in BC when I was a kid, but that's been converted longer than I can even remember in the mall.

Playdium still exists? Wow. They had one in BC when I was a kid, but that's been converted longer than I can even remember in the mall.

It was really busy, too. Not insanely busy, but surprisingly.

My friend took two kids and I just tagged along. I wanted to conserve money, so I didn't buy any cards. The kids asked me to play a couple of games with them, but that's all I did. I mostly just helped him look after them and let them have fun.

A nice couple gave me their card when they decided to abruptly leave, though, which was really nice. It had 50 credits on it. So, I played some Time Crisis and one or two other games, then shared the rest with the kids.

It didn't hook me to go back, but it's good for kids. I find it hard to have fun, though, due to my depression.

The game was 59.99 CAD on PSN at launch (and still is). Considering how many games launch at that price, I figure I'm better off buying digital in Canada, since I'm finally getting the "savings" digital always should have given. I'd bet Atelier Sophie will launch at that price too, so digital all the way.

Walmart replied to my email today and said I need to call them.

As for Until Dawn:

I went to my local Walmart today, and asked electronics to get it out of the cage for me. There were two guys working there, and when I asked about it being pricematched and showed them, they said they couldn't do it.

Apparently they stopped PMing websites 6 months ago. I'd checked the flyer before I left, but it wasn't in the thing.

I bought some markers and talked to the CSR while cashing out. She recommended asking customer service, and the ladies there were nice enough to do it. They had electronics walk a copy up, and I believe the one guy who did stood there and gave her a weird look. She said to him, "We normally don't. You guys did the right thing." Then she told me that they'll do it in certain circumstances.

I thanked her twice.

As for Until Dawn:

I went to my local Walmart today, and asked electronics to get it out of the cage for me. There were two guys working there, and when I asked about it being pricematched and showed them, they said they couldn't do it.

Apparently they stopped PMing websites 6 months ago. I'd checked the flyer before I left, but it wasn't in the thing.

I bought some markers and talked to the CSR while cashing out. She recommended asking customer service, and the ladies there were nice enough to do it. They had electronics walk a copy up, and I believe the one guy who did stood there and gave her a weird look. She said to him, "We normally don't. You guys did the right thing." Then she told me that they'll do it in certain circumstances.

I thanked her twice.

Pretty sure that had to do with the Amazon ps4 debacle.

superbad

As for Until Dawn:

I thanked her twice.

Not once have I ever successfully price-matched anything at Wal-Mart. Around here, they always ask for a physical copy of the flier (since Wal-Mart 'Ad Matches'), they will not accept anything on your phone. Even if you have the flier, they always call to check stock and act like you're trying to personally take money out of their pockets.

I've seen them match grocery items, but that's it.

Not once have I ever successfully price-matched anything at Wal-Mart. Around here, they always ask for a physical copy of the flier (since Wal-Mart 'Ad Matches'), they will not accept anything on your phone. Even if you have the flier, they always call to check stock and act like you're trying to personally take money out of their pockets.

I've dealt with that before. I got lucky, I know. The other store -- in Mississauga -- said they'd do it too though. There was no stock.

I used to have to ask at customer service for the week's paper/flyers and they'd usually have the other stores'.

Gxgear

Walmart.ca explicitly states printed or digital ad. Where they get you is competitor's local stock availability.

kennah

Anyone want to get in on a rocket league 4 pack with me?

Edit. Nevermind. I posted on my Facebook and one of my friends just gave me their steam controller promo code. Heh.

iLLmAtlc

Weird, I didn't know Walmart was stingy with price matching. I only tried it once and got it. I showed the game on bestbuy.ca on my phone and was out in like 5 minutes.

BTails

I'm based in Calgary, and ordered Until Dawn and Bloodborne online Friday morning. Bloodborne shipped Friday afternoon from Red Deer (???) and arrived today. Until Dawn shipped from Calgary a few moments ago and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Anyone else had odd shipping starting points recently? I'm so used to seeing Richmond or Mississauga, haha.

I know ya'll hate Shipping-GAF, but I thought it was really interesting.

jred2k

I'm based in Calgary, and ordered Until Dawn and Bloodborne online Friday morning. Bloodborne shipped Friday afternoon from Red Deer (???) and arrived today. Until Dawn shipped from Calgary a few moments ago and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Anyone else had odd shipping starting points recently? I'm so used to seeing Richmond or Mississauga, haha.

Yeah Best Buy has started shipping from stores. It seems to be when the warehouses run out of stock they turn it over to retail locations to fulfill it. It can be convenient in terms of timing, but the store staff is obviously not quite as well trained with packaging.

mdubs

Banned

My Until Dawn from Best Buy is showing Kingston on tracking, that's a new one

BB and TRU both ship from the nearest store with confirmed stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom