• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I don't think that's right.

The "up to a $160 gift card" they mention I believe is referring to the value of the console, not on top of it. So you're looking at a max of $210 (160+50). I the case you mentioned, you'd get $100 plus $50.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. Using their online estimator it has an Xbox One 500GB @ $120 though? So that would mean $170. And it's unclear if they would expect the Kinect with that.

The "up to a $160 gift card" they mention I believe is referring to the value of the console, not on top of it. So you're looking at a max of $210 (160+50). I the case you mentioned, you'd get $100 plus $50.

Okay yeah that makes more sense. Thinking about it getting $320 from BB is too generous of them.

Also for those who care I think No Man's Sky goes live on Steam at 1PM EST. Get cautiously proceduraly hyped.

Maddog

Does anyone have any experience returning to EB Games something they got from a Trade Promo?

I did Trade 3, Get $70 off No Man's Sky but haven't opened it yet. I don't think it's for me so I'm curious what they would do if I tried to return it.

killroy87

Does anyone have any experience returning to EB Games something they got from a Trade Promo?

I did Trade 3, Get $70 off No Man's Sky but haven't opened it yet. I don't think it's for me so I'm curious what they would do if I tried to return it.

If you just expect to get credit back, you should be fine.l

Perfect. That's what I hoped. Thanks Killroy.

Actually, depending on how stringent they are (and/or how the system works) you may just get back the trade credit of the games you traded in (without the boost).

If you have an Edge card and it hasn't been 3 days since you picked up the game, you can return it with their game guarantee for full credit. I would go this route since the other method is ripe for abuse (trade 3 for $70, never pick up game/return game, ends up being $70 towards any game).

6.4 Edge Cardholders also receive the benefit of an enhanced product returns program (“Satisfaction Returns Guarantee”). Red & Gold Cardholders are entitled to return any closed or open-packaged product within 3 days of purchase, in exchange for a store credit of original purchase value. Platinum Cardholders are entitled to return any closed or open-packaged product within 7 days of purchase, in exchange for a store credit of original purchase value. Onyx Cardholders are entitled to return any closed or open-packaged product within 10 days of purchase, in exchange for a store credit of original purchase value. Items purchased using this store credit will be labelled as non-refundable and may only be exchanged towards the identical item.

killroy87

Actually, depending on how stringent they are (and/or how the system works) you may just get back the trade credit of the games you traded in (without the boost).

If you have an Edge card and it hasn't been 3 days since you picked up the game, you can return it with their game guarantee for full credit. I would go this route since the other method is ripe for abuse (trade 3 for $70, never pick up game/return game, ends up being $70 towards any game).

That's possible, but it's never happened to me. Maybe the employees I deal with are just cool (or just don't give a fuck, lol).

You could exchange it towards another game in the Trade 3 deal, if you're interested in any of them. I dunno what else is available at the moment.

Xenoflare

What do you mean, won't be able to get it back? The would-be buyer won't be able to play the games?

Sorry! I misread your question.

Ok, if that is the case if the would be buyer want your digital games, you'll have to give your NNID along with it, because the only way to retain it with your 3ds sold is to do a system transfer or to reformat your 3ds, both of which will delete the digital games.

Kyolux

Sorry! I misread your question.

Ok, if that is the case if the would be buyer want your digital games, you'll have to give your NNID along with it, because the only way to retain it with your 3ds sold is to do a system transfer or to reformat your 3ds, both of which will delete the digital games.
Oh. Well that blows. But expected. May rethink this over.

My amazon prime is about to expire. Has anyone received offers from Amazon for prime after expiry? I enjoy prime but I just don't want to pay full price for our Canadian one.

Luckily I locked in practically every game I want in 2 day shipping (except Berseria).

patochaos

Neo Member
So I tied for 3 weeks to get ahold of an RX 480 or RX 470.

Only place they have them is at newegg, and they don't accept international credit cards.

Tried amazon and ncix daily, nothing.
Tried local computer stores, all reserved.

Guess I'm going back empty handed...

CRA5H

Have there been any deals for Overwatch on PC? Expired deals included just so I can gauge how much I should wait to spend for the next deal.

Have there been any deals for Overwatch on PC? Expired deals included just so I can gauge how much I should wait to spend for the next deal.

Nope. And it's a Blizz game so it'll never go on sale
until an expo or sequel comes out
. You at least get the choice between the $50 or $70 ones on PC. Console gamers don't have a choice. Oh, and speaking of Blizz games SC2 LoTV is $40 CAD on BNet, and I think WoL and HoTS are 50% off or something

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Blizzard/Battle.net has the regular version for 40 USD, probably you're cheapest bet.

With the exchange rate that works out to around $54. Might as well pay $5 more and get the Origin Edition.

People also sell it for cheap in BST sometimes as already mentioned.

-SG

The Amazon books promo was well timed for me. Finally got a couple maintenance books I've been waiting to pick up and a few things for my girlfriend.

That's what I did for my FFXV strat book pre-order. Made a new order to make sure it works, than canceled the first one.

I'll likely have to cancel then re-order, given that I used a gift card. I don't have a CC.

EDIT: I can't, because it was "part of a multi-product promotion." I don't see how, outside of it being off of the same gift card. It's a pre-order of one book, which wasn't related to the rest of my order. It just has pre-order insurance on the price.

Kyolux

I'll likely have to cancel then re-order, given that I used a gift card. I don't have a CC.

EDIT: I can't, because it was "part of a multi-product promotion." I don't see how, outside of it being off of the same gift card. It's a pre-order of one book, which wasn't related to the rest of my order. It just has pre-order insurance on the price.

Have you tried asking customer service to add the promo to your order?

Ryde3

With the exchange rate that works out to around $54. Might as well pay $5 more and get the Origin Edition.

People also sell it for cheap in BST sometimes as already mentioned.

Origins Edition is just some skins, so I guess if those are something you're interested in, sure.

iLLmAtlc

amazon's got good book prices but 25 minimum is kinda annoying for books.

bookdepository.com has free worldwide shipping and the prices are usually the same as amazon.

kevin1025

Banned

Only place they have them is at newegg, and they don't accept international credit cards.

It's crazy how hard they are to find. I wonder if there was just the initial batch and then nothing for a while. I'm likely going to wait until early next year until they're readily available.

Past

bookdepository.com has free worldwide shipping and the prices are usually the same as amazon.

The Book Depository IS Amazon that's why the prices are the same. They actually used to be cheaper before Amazon bought them.

mdubs

Banned

just watch out if you're someone who wants your books in pristine condition (I am one of these people) because book depository doesn't package in the most sturdy way and the books are coming from the UK usually

iLLmAtlc

Weird, another reason I like bookdepository is because they send the books to me in great condition.

I've had worse luck with amazon, getting books with crumbled dust jackets and shit, usually if they're a little older. The new ones come in great shape tho.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I just realized something about Best Buy

1) They're giving $20 off $100 on Visa Checkouts
2) If you preordered during the E3 promo you get 10x Reward points on game purchases. 10 X $100 = 1000 points or $12.50
3) Mirrors Edge is on sale for $40 and Assassins Creed Syndicate is $30. If I could add another game to bring the total over $100 thats a savings of over $30.

Assuming everything stacks and works as intended. Just need to find a third game in the $30-$40 range.

What are the best deals for phones right now? Where's best to look for deals? Family packs with free phones are an option. Would like some data (a gig at least).

I need a new phone, and my Dad too. We just need 2.

Yeah, I saw that today. It's not as good.

Kyolux

What are the best deals for phones right now? Where's best to look for deals? Family packs with free phones are an option. Would like some data (a gig at least).

I need a new phone, and my Dad too. We just need 2.

Yeah, I saw that today. It's not as good.

The best is probably to wait for Trump to become president and see the CAD go up as the USD will go down. Then, prices will be magical.

I have no idea what's a good buy right now.

Kitsune86

Neo Member
It's crazy how hard they are to find. I wonder if there was just the initial batch and then nothing for a while. I'm likely going to wait until early next year until they're readily available.

I bit the bullet and ordered from a third party market off Amazon.ca and spent a $60 premium for my 480 (on top of the **** you canada 'tax')

Are the 480s still so rare you can't find them on store shelves?

Eternia

I see one RX 470 available online at Memoryexpress for $280 + shipping. Not the greatest price and I don't know how they handle international credit cards either.

I bit the bullet and ordered from a third party market off Amazon.ca and spent a $60 premium for my 480 (on top of the **** you canada 'tax')

Are the 480s still so rare you can't find them on store shelves?
Haven't really seen aftermarket cards available although I haven't looked too deeply since grabbing a GTX 1060 out of frustration because it was actually cheaper. RX 470 seem to have better availability but I talked myself out of it after looking at Freesync more closely. Costs really skyrocket if you try to get similar features to Gsync so I'd mind as well get the better implementation from the start.

The best is probably to wait for Trump to become president and see the CAD go up as the USD will go down. Then, prices will be magical.

I have no idea what's a good buy right now.

Thanks for trying

Apparently we're going to get them Monday, so I'm supposed to do research. Phone plans aren't my specialty, though.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
If you're adventurous and cheap, you can look on Aliexpress or Geekbuying for Xiaomi phones like the Redmi Note 3 Pro. They're chinese phones with great specs (3gb ram, 32gb storage...) for 200-250$. Then you can get a Koodo prepaid plan if you're a light user.

Beware however with the Xiaomi route you're pretty much left on your own as the phones are not officially sold here, and you might have to mess with ROMs flashing, etc. Do it a your own risk (but I'm glad I did!).

EDIT: Didn't really think when I suggested that... For you, I'd suggest going with something more straightforward if you want peace of mind...

Firestorm

khaaan

I got an email from PSN about a "Super Duper Uber Voucher", got kinda excitied but then I found out it's just items for a bunch of f2p games (Warframe, Smite, Neverwinter, World of Tanks)

Edit: Southern Ontario GAF, what are you guys doing to beat the heat? ;_;

What do you have now? What provider and on what plan?

I use my Mom's old phone. She had a flip phone for years, and before she had surgery a couple of years ago we upgraded. She didn't really use it at all, and didn't really know how due to memory and physical impairments, so my Dad and I shared it and still do. I don't go out much, so it's not an issue, but he wants to have his own now.

Virgin Mobile, $40/month (comes to $52, I think) and that's for 500 minutes, 500megabits and unlimited text in NA. It's one of the Samsung Galaxy Minis.

Now I'm afraid to open and set up my Xbox, lol. Afraid of dust, fingerprints, clammy hands when I do it, etc.

It never ends with my crazy mind.

Kyolux

So I'm back home from doing the Diefenbunker escape.

It was alright. Like they have a lot of good ideas. But being 12 was too much.

You're split up in 3 teams of 4 for about 2/3 of the way through until you have to bring everything together. But 4 in the different areas was already too much.

6 would have been enough and would have avoided a lot of time some of us didn't have anything to do.

It would have prevented the huge confusion at the end when we had to work all of us together.

In the end, we escaped, but with a bad ending.
A lot of people died.

I'd give it a 7/10 I guess. It was pretty cool being in an actual bunker though. And unless anything changed, it's neat to do the biggest (in terms of area) escape room in the world.

---
Edit: Well, ordered those TMNT volumes after all.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yassss, can't wait to feel it with my fingers.

vRMROh7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom