• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalius

NCIX does have a warehouse in Ontario now so it'll depend which one has stock. I'd probably use either Memoryexpress or NCIX as both allow for price matching. You can also pick up instore at NCIX if you want to avoid shipping times/fees. You look around PCPartPicker for a general idea of stores and pricing.

I never heard of MemoryExpress until now, thanks! I may end up ordering from NCIX since they have a store close to me! Hopefully I can leverage MemoryExpress prices on NCIX for a price match.

Hey, if you'd like help choosing parts to build your PC with, let me know. I do a lot of work within a PC compatibility lab, so I am really familiar with all the latest cards, CPU's and components. And as Eternia mentioned below, PCPartPicker is your bets friend for this. Make your PC build on PC part picker, then literally send the part list to NCIX or Memory express, and they will price match everything they can.

If you want help, just let me know the basics.
- What your budget is
- What Resolution you are targeting
- What you would use the PC for (gaming video editing, game development, casual web browsing?)

Cheers.

Sure, I would love some help! Max. budget is $1300 (I'm bringing my GTX970 from current build over, it's still a good card). Main purpose is gaming PC, targeting 1080p (playing on a TV), would ideally like to play games at highest res & FPS possible (although I'm not sure anything higher than 60 when playing on a TV is worth it).
Here is a PCPartPicker build I've come up with: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bjZvf8 Not sure how else to optimize this build at this moment.

univbee

Can anyone tell me if the North American release of Fire Emblem Fates for 3DS offers a French localization? Thank you.

It annoyingly does not, just like Awakening you would have to get the EU version (and a EU 3DS), or softmod to accomplish the same thing. That said, as far as I know those are the only titles where this is the case. Every other game I know of, if French isn't on the NA version it doesn't exist in the EU either (although a few Nintendo-made games like Zelda: Link Between Worlds have different translations in both regions).

It annoyingly does not, just like Awakening you would have to get the EU version (and a EU 3DS), or softmod to accomplish the same thing. That said, as far as I know those are the only titles where this is the case. Every other game I know of, if French isn't on the NA version it doesn't exist in the EU either (although a few Nintendo-made games like Zelda: Link Between Worlds have different translations in both regions).

That's fucking bullshit, and also violates the contract the ESA has with the government of Québec of offering a French localization in Canada should such a localization exist in Europe.

It's a good thing I'm bilingual, but it's still a goddamn shame, considering how much text there is in these games.

jzbluz

That's fucking bullshit, and also violates the contract the ESA has with the government of Québec of offering a French localization in Canada should such a localization exist in Europe.

It's a good thing I'm bilingual, but it's still a goddamn shame, considering how much text there is in these games.

It's probably because the European version came out later.

The french version came out at a later date I guess...

univbee

Venturing a guess, since in both cases the European release was later, is that the FIGS translations didn't exist when they released it in North America and were done (or at least finalized) between the NA and European release dates. Why they didn't implement a patch, free DLC, or hell even just made the European release coded to run on NA systems as well I have no idea.

Most of the other expansive RPG's like Rune Factory and Shin Megami Tensei are English-only even in Europe.

Dot-N-Run

Even better. Will I have to confirm my email address is active each year, or will I be able to use Office without a hitch for as long as I have this computer?

Even over a year after graduation I've been able to install and use Office on multiple computers no problem. But honestly I have no idea as to how long this will last, I might wake up one day and find my licence expired. But hey, it works fine and dandy now and that's good enough for me.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably because the European version came out later.

The french version came out at a later date I guess...

I distinctly remember something similar happening with the Layton games during the DS days. The english-only version would get released the same date as the american launch, and a while later we'd get a multilingual European version including french. That was possible because the DS was region-free. But thanks to Nintendo's love of region-locking, this is not possible anymore on 3DS. Yay...

I never heard of MemoryExpress until now, thanks! I may end up ordering from NCIX since they have a store close to me! Hopefully I can leverage MemoryExpress prices on NCIX for a price match.

Sure, I would love some help! Max. budget is $1300 (I'm bringing my GTX970 from current build over, it's still a good card). Main purpose is gaming PC, targeting 1080p (playing on a TV), would ideally like to play games at highest res & FPS possible (although I'm not sure anything higher than 60 when playing on a TV is worth it).
Here is a PCPartPicker build I've come up with: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bjZvf8 Not sure how else to optimize this build at this moment.

Ok, cool, I'll make you a build, and check out your build shortly.

- Cheers

Edit:
A couple notes about your current build:

- You don't need extra thermal paste, the Cooler Master Hyper comes with it, but free is free
- Your motherboard is great, but fairly expensive. Perhaps there is a cheaper option that does the same. Do you ever plan to upgrade to 64gb or ram?
- There are Cheaper SSD options I believe
- Any specific reasons for choosing that case? (looks?), this could be cheaper
- You want a MicroATX mini tower? these are nice, you prefer a smaller form factor? I'm not familiar with how dual video cards would fit in this.

Question:
-- What CPU do you currently have? if you have an i5-4690k, the 6600k is almost identical performance-wise
- Would you consider selling your GTX 970 and upgrading to a GTX 1060?

univbee

I distinctly remember something similar happening with the Layton games during the DS days. The english-only version would get released the same date as the american launch, and a while later we'd get a multilingual European version including french. That was possible because the DS was region-free. But thanks to Nintendo's love of region-locking, this is not possible anymore on 3DS. Yay...

Yeah, Future Shop would straight-up carry European versions, complete with PEGI on the box, although I think a few games/educational products had formal North American prints done with ESRB ratings for North America; I think that Japanese cookbook and Hotel Dusk 214 had it, and maybe some of those brain-training games. I'm fairly sure the cart data was identical to the European version, since it didn't matter on DS for anything.

The NX had better get rid of region locks now that it's pretty much otherwise dead for physical media of all kinds.

Ventara

Ugh, just had my phone stolen. This is the first time it's happened to me. Anyone know how to proceed? I've gone online to my Rogers account to suspend my services. I guess I should change my Gmail password. Not sure what to do about Steam. Man, this really blows.

lilty

Ugh, just had my phone stolen. This is the first time it's happened to me. Anyone know how to proceed? I've gone online to my Rogers account to suspend my services. I guess I should change my Gmail password. Not sure what to do about Steam. Man, this really blows.

Did you have any sort of service installed where you can remotely wipe the data?

diaspora

Police report. Get the IMEI blacklisted to make it unusable.

Ventara

Did you have any sort of service installed where you can remotely wipe the data?

No. Will definitely be one of the things I immediately install for my new phone.

Police report. Get the IMEI blacklisted to make it unusable.

Should I call Rogers for this, or should I actually head down to the police station?

Call Rogers and ask them to lockdown your phone too. I'm sure they can do this if Wind could for a friend of mine.

Alright, will do. Man, I wish I could just get my phone back. I would seriously offer the thief $200 just to return it to me.

Kyolux

Call Rogers and ask them to lockdown your phone too. I'm sure they can do this if Wind could for a friend of mine.

diaspora

No. Will definitely be one of the things I immediately install for my new phone.

Should I call Rogers for this, or should I actually head down to the police station?

Alright, will do. Man, I wish I could just get my phone back. I would seriously offer the thief $200 just to return it to me.

Tell your provider that your phone was stolen and to add it to the IMEI blacklist.

Hey Dalius,
check out this build:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/B6LHzM

- Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
- ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
- G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
- A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
- Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
- EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card
- Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
- Thermaltake SMART 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

So this build has everything your last build had, except two major differences:

- It has an i7 6700k processor,
which is significantly more powerful than the i5 you chose, and will last longer before needing an upgrade (just upgrade the video card and Ram), and is highly recommend with your budget:
- I added a GTX 1060 video card.

With Video Card - $1252.39 before taxes
Without video card - $912.40 before Taxes

Ventara

Alright, so I gave Rogers a call, but since I didn't have the IMEI number, I couldn't put it on the blacklist. Best they could do was suspend my account, which I did online. I'll have to stop by a Rogers store to get a new phone and SIM card. Hope this doesn't cost me too much.

Lexxism

Alright, so I gave Rogers a call, but since I didn't have the IMEI number, I couldn't put it on the blacklist. Best they could do was suspend my account, which I did online. I'll have to stop by a Rogers store to get a new phone and SIM card. Hope this doesn't cost me too much.
What phone are you using? If it is a premium one, expect it to be costly.

krae_man

Anyone know how low Lego Dimensions for PS4 has gone?

I just picked up the Simpsons sets on clearance. Hoping to grab the base dirt cheap.

Also the RCSS near me still has tons of Wonderbooks they won't discount.

Sealtest

Looks like Shantae half genie hero went up to $39 on amazon.

Was OOS for a week or so and must've went back up today.

Still $34.99 at best buy.

Lexxism

It was a Samsung Galaxy A5. Got it not even 5 months ago. If I can, I'd like to just use my old phone, an Iphone 4. Hopefully I can.
Did you pay your phone's balance? I would assume yes? I'm pretty sure you can use your old phone if you want and don't want to be locked with a contract.

Ventara

Did you pay your phone's balance? I would assume yes? I'm pretty sure you can use your old phone if you want and don't want to be locked with a contract.

Yeah, I did. Would you happen to know if I can keep my old phone number when I get a new SIM? Don't want to through my entire phone book telling everyone I lost my phone and had to get a new number.

Kyolux

Yeah, I did. Would you happen to know if I can keep my old phone number when I get a new SIM? Don't want to through my entire phone book telling everyone I lost my phone and had to get a new number.

Shouldn't be a problem I assume. You can bring your phone number from one company to another. so surely you can in this case.

Though not having the imei might complicate things maybe? Weird that they don't have that in records though.

Ventara

Shouldn't be a problem I assume. You can bring your phone number from one company to another. so surely you can in this case.

Though not having the imei might complicate things maybe? Weird that they don't have that in records though.

Alright, thanks. Hopefully it'll be as simple as walking into the store, buying a replacement SIM and popping it into my old phone. I'd do it today, but I just feel so defeated right now. Seriously, once I have this sorted, I am going to take every precaution there is to prevent this from happening again. Can't believe I was so careless.

Maddog

Anyone know how low Lego Dimensions for PS4 has gone?

I just picked up the Simpsons sets on clearance. Hoping to grab the base dirt cheap.

Also the RCSS near me still has tons of Wonderbooks they won't discount.

$70 on Prime Day I believe. The 360 / PS3 versions were ~$40 last week at Amazon so I wouldn't be surprised to see the current versions at that price in the near future.

The entire MacBook line is supposed to get a major overhaul pretty soon. I would wait a couple months if possible

I think the MacBook Pro is the only one getting a really major (and much needed) rehaul. The current MacBook is probably what Apple's gonna run with for a while and its adoption of USB C is gonna set the present for Apple's laptops. Plus the MacBook Air is looking to be retired for a while.

Personally, I'm still deciding between the Asus UX306 (a recently released upgraded version of the UX305 that comes with a better battery and USB C) or a refurbished 2015 Macbook.

Anyone else have tips for good, cheap phone plans? Looking for two free phones with 2 year contracts, for my Dad and I. Preferably $40 plans. 1gb of data or more preferred.

$70 on Prime Day I believe. The 360 / PS3 versions were ~$40 last week at Amazon so I wouldn't be surprised to see the current versions at that price in the near future.

Possible but since they announced a new season I think they want to keep selling it as close to retail as possible..

Cynar

If it was just a few months ago on contract you still would owe the previous balance for the stolen phone.

I don't think that's possible.

For $40 a month you can get 1-2GB plans (Zoomer, Public Mobile) but those are Bring Your Own Phone offers (no subsidized phones).

The smaller carriers (Koodo/Virgin/Fido) have tab plans which just split up the cost of the phone into monthly payments. So you'd be paying $40/month for 500MB plus a monthly Tab.

I think the MacBook Pro is the only one getting a really major (and much needed) rehaul. The current MacBook is probably what Apple's gonna run with for a while and its adoption of USB C is gonna set the present for Apple's laptops. Plus the MacBook Air is looking to be retired for a while.

Personally, I'm still deciding between the Asus UX306 (a recently released upgraded version of the UX305 that comes with a better battery and USB C) or a refurbished 2015 Macbook.
Is that the one on sale at Best But atm?

Lexxism

Anyone else have tips for good, cheap phone plans? Looking for two free phones with 2 year contracts, for my Dad and I. Preferably $40 plans. 1gb of data or more preferred.
Try cityfone.net. They are Rogers resellers. You can get 1GB for $40 and it comes with a free cheap phone.

Anyone know if EBGames/Best Buy are getting Witcher 3 Complete Edition? Comes out in a couple weeks and its still not on their websites. Only see it on Amazon.

khaaan

Asus UX306 looks like a pretty cool machine, but what the heck is an Intel Core M3 processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom