• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondore

So now that I'm one year closer to death, I received an Amazon gift certificate today. If I leave that on my account, will it take money off the cost of my next preorder that ships? (IE: did I just luck into a $10 copy of Federation Force?)

So now that I'm one year closer to death, I received an Amazon gift certificate today. If I leave that on my account, will it take money off the cost of my next preorder that ships? (IE: did I just luck into a $10 copy of Federation Force?)
no, but you can apply the gift card to a previous order

Does anyone happen to know if EBGames can ship games that are in stock in another province to a store in a different province? There's a game that was recommended to me that's seems to be only in stock in Calgary, but I'm in Manitoba.

killroy87

Does anyone happen to know if EBGames can ship games that are in stock in another province to a store in a different province? There's a game that was recommended to me that's seems to be only in stock in Calgary, but I'm in Manitoba.

As far as I know they don't have a policy to do it, but you can ask and a super cool manager might. They lose a lot of money doing it, since they just eat the cost of shipping.

As far as I know they don't have a policy to do it, but you can ask and a super cool manager might. They lose a lot of money doing it, since they just eat the cost of shipping.

That's what I had initially thought, since there was no references to anything like that on their site. I'll try going to my local EB Games one night this week and see if they're able to do anything. Thanks!

zroid

Banned

Happy one year closer to death day!

josh924

Banned
"The carrier was not able to access the front door to deliver your package. This sometimes occurs when carriers do not have an access code for a gated community or secure building. Please contact Amazon for next steps."

That's what I see when I log in on Amazon to see if my friend received the gifts I ordered for her. It's stupid, since she doesn't live in a gated community or a secure building. I'm sure if the courier was anyone except Intelcom, she would have received the package no problem. =\

Cake Boss

Banned
Quebec Residents, Fido is offering cell plan deals until August 17th.

6GB for $58 and 8GB plan for $65. No contract and only for BYOD.

I just switched from Wind to it.

There is also a 2GB for $40.

The plans also include 6 months of Spotify Premium.

Kyolux

I'm on the $40 one. Not sure I knew about the 6GB for 58 or not. But I think I'm fine with 2. I hate having to pay more than I need to for monthly bills.

"The carrier was not able to access the front door to deliver your package. This sometimes occurs when carriers do not have an access code for a gated community or secure building. Please contact Amazon for next steps."

That's what I see when I log in on Amazon to see if my friend received the gifts I ordered for her. It's stupid, since she doesn't live in a gated community or a secure building. I'm sure if the courier was anyone except Intelcom, she would have received the package no problem. =

You can't trust the comments with these guys. I had six consecutive delivery attempts say "business closed" when they never even approached my apartment's front door. You have to contact Amazon and if they offer you the option of sending a free replacement, do it and hope for the best. Otherwise expect them to keep rescheduling delivery of that item through Intelcom.

I gave up on Amazon chat and just have them call me now. You still have to explain everything but at least they will call you within 5-10 seconds...I'm not actually sure if Intelcom can be contacted at any time of day. Their offices close for sure by 6 but never had any luck connecting.

A shame, for the free extra copy of NMS I would consider dropping by their Montreal office but it just isn't worth the bullshit to deal with them. All I can do is keep hammering Amazon with calls until they either stop using Intelcom entirely or somehow screen it from my account.

What?? I've never received $10 for my birthday. Is that normal?

josh924

Banned
You can't trust the comments with these guys. I had six consecutive delivery attempts say "business closed" when they never even approached my apartment's front door. You have to contact Amazon and if they offer you the option of sending a free replacement, do it and hope for the best. Otherwise expect them to keep rescheduling delivery of that item through Intelcom.

I was chatting with an Amazon rep and they said not to worry, that it'll be shipped with another courier. They also issued a refund, which was the rep's way of trying to fix the problem. I ordered the items again and right now, I'm trying to pick an Amazon Pickup point, but every pickup point I've tried so far doesn't receive Eneloop batteries+charger for some reason.

FFS, they should either stop doing business with Intelcom or at least give us a choice in courier (though that's probably unrealistic).

Edit: I'm trying to ship a Blu-Ray movie with the Eneloops so that they arrive in the same package. Maybe I should try shipping them separately?

RS4-

Shit, those are pretty good. The $58 is like the old 6GB plan when it was $40-55...but with a phone!

Dalius

Ok, cool, I'll make you a build, and check out your build shortly.

- Cheers

Edit:
A couple notes about your current build:

- You don't need extra thermal paste, the Cooler Master Hyper comes with it, but free is free
- Your motherboard is great, but fairly expensive. Perhaps there is a cheaper option that does the same. Do you ever plan to upgrade to 64gb or ram?
- There are Cheaper SSD options I believe
- Any specific reasons for choosing that case? (looks?), this could be cheaper
- You want a MicroATX mini tower? these are nice, you prefer a smaller form factor? I'm not familiar with how dual video cards would fit in this.

Question:
-- What CPU do you currently have? if you have an i5-4690k, the 6600k is almost identical performance-wise
- Would you consider selling your GTX 970 and upgrading to a GTX 1060?

Thanks for the tips & the build you posted later! I'll definitely read up on those components.
The thermal paste is something I bought when I thought I had to replace the paste on my old GTX 580 (something I still have to do) so it wasn't a factor in the final cost.
I'm probably never going to upgrade my RAM to 64GB. I've heard the BIOS on the motherboard I've chosen hasn't been the most reliable so it's not something I'm stuck to.
I chose that case because I have the Fractal R5 on my current box and I think it's a pretty great case: very quiet, compact but lots of room to work with, looks nice, feels sturdy. The Mini is - well, the Mini version of that. Also, microATX would be nice since this PC will be hooked into a TV - another reason why I like Fractal's cases. It's a bit expensive but I don't mind spending a bit more on something I have to look at every day

farisr

I gave into temptation and ordered another $100(5x$20) worth of PSN cards from best buy . Took a while to do but it worked.

ohlawd

still got a day to change it but I'm getting a figma from amiami and these are all the options I have.

ca43543ureu5s2x.png

last few orders I made I used unregistered because I'm too much of a cheapass to pay customs. well, that shit's gone. Is other my next best option?

Luigi87

still got a day to change it but I'm getting a figma from amiami and these are all the options I have.

ca43543ureu5s2x.png

last few orders I made I used unregistered because I'm too much of a cheapass to pay customs. well, that shit's gone. Is other my next best option?

That's... weird.
I just did a test pre-order and I can still see both Registered and Unregistered SAL.
Other (SAL) should be fine. It says to select that when the other methods are unavailable, but... I've never seen that before.

ohlawd

That's... weird.
I just did a test pre-order and I can still see both Registered and Unregistered SAL.
Other (SAL) should be fine. It says to select that when the other methods are unavailable, but... I've never seen that before.

here's the link. try it out and see if you get the same options x.x

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-012602&page=rt_01

September is so harsh on my budget lol. maybe the last couple times I've imported stuff I wouldn't have minded paying customs but not this time.

Luigi87

You lied! You said figma, but Cordelia is a scale figure!

Also yeah it is just those four.

IIRC, Other (SAL/Air Parcel) is likely SAL (registered), don't ask me why it's an extra option.
AmiAmi just does not allow shipping via SAL (unregistered) on any order over 8000 yen (this started early this year, due to the number of people who filed claims for lost packages).

I will say I was fortunate and I did have something ship SAL (Registered) a few months ago and I didn't get any customs charge. I suppose it's kind of a dice roll.

ohlawd

You lied! You said figma, but Cordelia is a scale figure!

Also yeah it is just those four.

IIRC, Other (SAL/Air Parcel) is likely SAL (registered), don't ask me why it's an extra option.
AmiAmi just does not allow shipping via SAL (unregistered) on any order over 8000 yen (this started early this year, due to the number of people who filed claims for lost packages).

I will say I was fortunate and I did have something ship SAL (Registered) a few months ago and I didn't get any customs charge. I suppose it's kind of a dice roll.

my bad. it autocorrected to figma (how? lol) you're right tho. I'm just gonna do it and hope for the best. still, it's already $127 CAD before shipping. oh boy.

Not too much into figures but I have been wanting that one since the first day it was shown... I am envious, student life needs to end!
I'm a student too except I'm being awful with my money lol. hell, school starts again in September ;_;

CazTGG

ca43543ureu5s2x.png

Anything but DHL. EMS has been fine in my limited experience but "Other" is probably your best bet.

Again: Avoid DHL like the plague.

ohlawd

Anything but DHL. EMS has been fine in my limited experience but "Other" is probably your best bet.

Again: Avoid DHL like the plague.

yeh I know allllllllll about DHL.

it's looking like other > EMS >>> DHL but I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts.

DHL is actually... ok if you buy stuff from amazon jp (not like you have choice though lol). If from other site then just avoid it.

EMS in my experience most of the time I have to pay customs. The only time i didnt have to was when i ordered from gsc online store.

SAL registered is the best. 20+ nendos so far and i havent paid any import fee.

ca43543ureu5s2x.png

Confirmed my shipping on an Amiami order this morning, both registered and unregistered SAL available. Strange though, it should show you the price for each shipping option (and allow you to change it before payment). I haven't been hit with customs on a registered SAL package yet (KNOCK ON WOOD).

I ordered that figure from Hobby Search a few weeks ago, should be coming in soon :D

so i have a parcel coming today from UPS. it just left ontario, but is getting delivered today 100%.

what's the likelihood it comes by 2pm PST, if you had to guess? gotta work nights tonight so that's the latest i can wait. was hoping it'd be delivered today but no luck

chrono01

ca43543ureu5s2x.png

The Cordelia figure box is MASSIVE! Like, really huge. That probably explains why they can't send it Unregistered/Registered SAL, especially since AmiAmi like to pack the boxes with a lot of paper to ensure the item(s) aren't damaged (I actually like this, despite it adding a bit to the shipping cost).

It looks like EMS is your only option. I wouldn't use DHL, since it's a guaranteed brokerage fee, where with Canada Post you might get off without paying anything (I rarely pay customs/duties when I go with Canada Post, but I might just be lucky).

Amazing figure, BTW. Shining Wizard (the sculptor) is extremely talented. I know from personal experience (I own this figure).

jzbluz

I've used SAL/Air/EMS and I've never paid any custom fees. I've even used DHL through Amazon and my custom fees were eventually refunded. I guess I'm probably gotten lucky in regards to packages from Japan, so YMMV.

Kyolux

Weird. Had a delivery at around 8 this morning from Canada Post.

Not one of the usual mailman too I assume, since my dog barked at them.

It was my TMNT volume 2 I ended up ordering after all on Saturday.

Sora_N

The Cordelia figure box is MASSIVE! Like, really huge. That probably explains why they can't send it Unregistered/Registered SAL, especially since AmiAmi like to pack the boxes with a lot of paper to ensure the item(s) aren't damaged (I actually like this, despite it adding a bit to the shipping cost).

It looks like EMS is your only option. I wouldn't use DHL, since it's a guaranteed brokerage fee, where with Canada Post you might get off without paying anything (I rarely pay customs/duties when I go with Canada Post, but I might just be lucky).

Amazing figure, BTW. Shining Wizard (the sculptor) is extremely talented. I know from personal experience (I own this figure).

Yeah the box was huge...

BadWolf

I've used SAL/Air/EMS and I've never paid any custom fees. I've even used DHL through Amazon and my custom fees were eventually refunded. I guess I'm probably gotten lucky in regards to packages from Japan, so YMMV.

In all my time ordering from Japan I've only been hit with customs fees once and it was due to using DHL via Mandarake.

Luigi87

I will comment on EMS

I usually don't pay customs through it, but it has happened to me and it does suck when it does... a lot.

Also EMS costs increased rather signficantly as of June 1st in Japan (800 yen for up to 0.3kg, 650 yen for up to 0.4kg, then standardizing at a 500 yen increase at 0.5kg and up)

IE: North America
Code:
Up to 0.3kg - 1,200 yen (old) - 2,000 yen (new)
Up to 0.5kg - 1,500 yen (old) - 2,000 yen (new)
Up to 0.6kg - 1,680 yen (old) - 2,180 yen (new)
[...]
Up to 1.1kg - 2,560 yen (old) - 3,060 yen (new)

So it's like $6.50~ CAD increase for EMS

*loves having the Tharja figure* =D ... I miss FigureGAF...

Edit Again: To be specific, Cordelia is 1227g.
Largest weight figure I've had ship before was 1107g apparently. Though I had to pay 4,000 yen (up to 2.0kg) on EMS shipping (which is now 4,500 yen of course), so I don't fully know how they calculate these things.

ohlawd

lol messed around with the shipping since it's calculated now. other costs $177 and EMS at $185

worth it

so yeah chrono and Sora said the box is huge and fuck me I believe it. saw this blog post with some Madoka figure and the box used for delivery is freaking huge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom