• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
CqGFMzaW8AEk1Kr.jpg

Uh well this is weird,

On xbox one i just went to go buy the rise of iron expansion and it seems that buying the destiny collection the former dlc and rise of iron is coming up deeply discounted at 29.99 so... if you're still playing destiny on xbox one do that?

Dang. I'd jump on that price if it was on PS4!

etta

my hard graphic balls
CqGFMzaW8AEk1Kr.jpg

Uh well this is weird,

On xbox one i just went to go buy the rise of iron expansion and it seems that buying the destiny collection the former dlc and rise of iron is coming up deeply discounted at 29.99 so... if you're still playing destiny on xbox one do that?
Wait what? It's not showing a price for me.

That's the upgrade for 360 Destiny owners. You should be able to see the price on that view screen but unless you own the Taken King on 360 you can't buy it.

For reference I did not purchase nor play destiny AT ALL on 360, neither did a friend and he was able to make the same purchase. We did however own ttk on xbone

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh, you have to own TTK. Though if you have to own TTK, which means you own Destiny and the first two expansions, then this upgrade price isn't that big of a deal?

etta

my hard graphic balls
It saves you $10 which is enough for most folks who may have been on the fence
Fair enough, just that when I saw your post, in my mind I read it as a pricing error type of deal. Something that gets alarms ringing and people rushing to their consoles to insta-buy.

sikkinixx

So the new 3ds Mario bundle just shipped for me from Bestbuy. I was completely taken by surprise. I thought it wasn't until September like the new (old) game stuff so I read the presser again.
Shit. I really can't afford the $200 right now. I'll have to see if I can sell off my old XL for a decent chunk or I might return it.

Is it a limited time bundle? Or just the new thing?

Any tips for Ontario phone plans with free phones? It seems that prices have gone up instead of down, from my looking around online.

Still haven't done anything.

lupinko

So the new 3ds Mario bundle just shipped for me from Bestbuy. I was completely taken by surprise. I thought it wasn't until September like the new (old) game stuff so I read the presser again.
Shit. I really can't afford the $200 right now. I'll have to see if I can sell off my old XL for a decent chunk or I might return it.

Is it a limited time bundle? Or just the new thing?

If you end up keeping it, transfer first and then sell off your XL.

krae_man

Any tips for Ontario phone plans with free phones? It seems that prices have gone up instead of down, from my looking around online.

Pretty much everybody has moved away from phone subsidies. There's a little bit of that still if you want a $1000 Note 7 or whatever and are on a $100+ plan with Rogers but if you're on the budget end, you are not getting any subsidy.

Buy a couple of K4's or J3's or something and then get a cheap plan with whoever works best for you.

Also $40 becoming $52 after fees makes no sense. Sounds like you had a $10/month hardware fee added on to your plan and some kind of multi line discount.

UberTag

Buy a quality Chinese handset for cheap and it'll pay for itself compared to a subsidized monthly phone package plan in no time at all.
I bought a OnePlus, switched to Wind and haven't regretted it for a second.

Lexxism

I mean what kind of phone are you looking? If you are looking for a $40 plan with 1GB and free phone. Cityfone.net is your best option. If you are thinking of getting a premium plan for that price, please stop. You are wasting your time. You won't find any.

Buy a phone outright or go with cityfone.

I mean what kind of phone are you looking? If you are looking for a $40 plan with 1GB and free phone. Cityfone.net is your best option. If you are thinking of getting a premium plan for that price, please stop. You are wasting your time. You won't find any.

Buy a phone outright or go with cityfone.

Not too picky. Preferably an iPhone or Galaxy, though.

I see Best Buy has a friends and family sale on now, with $0 iPhones. It doesn't say how expensive the 2 year contracts are, though, so I'm hesitant.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/categor...?fullsite=true&cmp=EML-BBY-160818-SAL-FF-M-pb

I'm not interested in paying hundreds for a phone, so I'll just go with whatever is available for the best deal when I do go out.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
That amazon 15% off books keeps tempting me.

Need time travel books or graphic novels, any suggestions?

killroy87

I'm not interested in paying hundreds for a phone, so I'll just go with whatever is available for the best deal when I do go out.
If you want an iPhone or galaxy, then you're either paying hundreds for a phone and getting a decent plan, or paying hundreds more in the long run for a plan and paying zero for a phone. Phone companies are pretty good about not giving opportunities to get great phones for cheap on an awesome plan.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

I see Best Buy has a friends and family sale on now, with $0 iPhones. It doesn't say how expensive the 2 year contracts are, though, so I'm hesitant.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/categor...?fullsite=true&cmp=EML-BBY-160818-SAL-FF-M-pb

"Free" phones, especially premium ones like iPhone, aren't really free at all. You're paying more in the long run. If you want to save money, I really suggest buying your phone separately instead of getting a "free" or "tab" one from a carrier.

Luigi87

You know Canada Post tracking jumped the gun on their updates when it says "Deilvered" at 9:30 AM, and you know you definitely don't receive any deliveries that early in the day.

Kyolux

You know Canada Post tracking jumped the gun on their updates when it says "Deilvered" at 9:30 AM, and you know you definitely don't receive any deliveries that early in the day.

Well.. I usually receive stuff between noon and 2 p.m. most of the time..

But this week, they delivered my TMNT book at around 8 in the morning. I was home, so it wasn't a jumped gun.

edit: well then.. yeah.. sometimes they scan ahead of time for their own convenience because who cares about tracking... right?

Luigi87

Oh I'm definitely home right now, and there's nothing at either of my home's entrances, lol

10:40AM delivery. Not too bad a wait between, but still.

My father is a CP retiree, so myself making observations about the company is par the course, lol

NEW DEAL

Skylanders SuperChargers Starter Kit - Wii U - $14.99
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00YRDXUFS/

This along with the XB1 and PS4 version are on sale for $19.99 on Bestbuy this week, but Amazon is offering the Wii U version for an extra $5 off. It's arguably the best version since the Donkey Kong figure it comes with is both an Amiibo and a Skylander.

If you were looking for a Donkey Kong Amiibo this is basically the same price as one AND it comes with a whole game to boot.

Lexxism

Not too picky yet you want an iphone or galaxy lol You wont be able to get a cheap subsidized plan dude.

$0 iphone would mean at least $80 on bell or rogers.

Dazzler

If you can afford the cash up front I'd buy the iPhone outright

You save in the long run (assuming you don't switch your phone every single year)

If you can afford the cash up front I'd buy the iPhone outright

You save in the long run (assuming you don't switch your phone every single year)

With Apple switching to a 3 year cycle this is something to consider.

iPhone prices do suck with the exchange right now though.

Ondore

NEW DEAL

Skylanders SuperChargers Starter Kit - Wii U - $14.99
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00YRDXUFS/

This along with the XB1 and PS4 version are on sale for $19.99 on Bestbuy this week, but Amazon is offering the Wii U version for an extra $5 off. It's arguably the best version since the Donkey Kong figure it comes with is both an Amiibo and a Skylander.

If you were looking for a Donkey Kong Amiibo this is basically the same price as one AND it comes with a whole game to boot.

Thanks. Grabbed this.

(Now, why it's grouping with Tumblestone when I specifically said "separate shipments" is beyond me...)

I switched from iPhone to LG 2 years ago. Best decision. paid like 1/6 of iPhone price for a phone and 128gb micro sd.

I gave Android a try. It just didn't click with me. I really wish it had because the cost difference is substantial and the right hardware can be great.

Why does it anger me so much that people still think they are getting free phones? Sometimes you are getting a small discount on an old phone when they are clearing out stock.

All you're doing by getting a "$0 dollar phone" is paying them $480 over 2 years and locking yourself into a 2 year contract voiding yourself of any bargaining power. Not to mention you could easily find the phone for cheaper elsewhere.

STOP IT

I gave Android a try. It just didn't click with me. I really wish it had because the cost difference is substantial and the right hardware can be great.

My first phone was $500+ and a warranty nightmare.

Sold it for an iphone and never looked back. Also love that one can sell a 3 year old iphone for like 40% of original value.

Ventara

Also got a shipping notice for the Mario n3DS. A week before the US, huh.

Guys, so I'm looking to replace my stolen phone and am planning to get the same model, a Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500W. Is looking to buy one on Ebay a bad idea? Like this one, for example

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-A5-SM-A500-Midnight-Black-Factory-Unlocked-Internal-Ship-/121999454723?hash=item1c67bbf203:g:YxAAAOSwepZXSWnc

Also, I see some models that look exactly the same, but the last letter is different, like A500F or A500Y. What's the difference?

Might be an international version. Double-check the bands as they may not be compatible with Canadian carriers.

I would always be leery of buying from eBay (stolen goods, scams, returning is a hassle). What about directly from Samsung?

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/galaxy-a/SM-A500WZKAXAC

I am very curious to see the new iPhone when it is officially announced with all the talk of no more headphone jack and how it will work if you want to charge and use wired headphones at same time. It will be funny if you have to buy another adapter for that.

SickBoy

Why does it anger me so much that people still think they are getting free phones? Sometimes you are getting a small discount on an old phone when they are clearing out stock.

All you're doing by getting a "$0 dollar phone" is paying them $480 over 2 years and locking yourself into a 2 year contract voiding yourself of any bargaining power. Not to mention you could easily find the phone for cheaper elsewhere.

STOP IT

I like to think my Moto X Play was really just the $50 because I was able to get that just by renewing my old $45 retention plan for two years. My original idea had been to keep the plan and buy a Nexus 5x outright.

I think I was pretty lucky because now I'm pretty sure Bell's changed the basis of subsidized phones to monthly spend rather than what "tier" of plan you're on.

Maximus.

STOP IT

Not everyone who NEEDS a phone can spend $800+ upfront for a phone unlocked. Yes, for some users, it makes sense to get unlocked. For others it makes no difference and they choose to get a contract.

Kyolux

Not everyone who NEEDS a phone can spend $800+ upfront for a phone unlocked. Yes, for some users, it makes sense to get unlocked. For others it makes no difference and they choose to get a contract.

No one that can't afford it should get a $800+ phone. Especially now that you can get some really good phones in the 200-250 range.

Kieli

If someone can't afford $800 upfront, they should definitely not be locking themselves into $100/mo contracts that these sort of phones are tied to.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
No one that can't afford it should get a $800+ phone. Especially now that you can get some really good phones in the 200-250 range.

If someone can't afford $800 upfront, they should definitely not be locking themselves into $100/mo contracts that these sort of phones are tied to.

This exactly. If you're short on money, getting an expensive subsidized phone is NOT the solution. You can get a decent phone for under $200, and a pretty great one under 300-400 if you look elsewhere than what the carriers sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom