• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone can't afford $800 upfront, they should definitely not be locking themselves into $100/mo contracts that these sort of phones are tied to.
I'll miss my sub $60 plan with subsidized phone and unlimited data once Bell gets the deal completed to buy MTS in Manitoba and prices skyrocket and data allotment plummets

If someone can't afford $800 upfront, they should definitely not be locking themselves into $100/mo contracts that these sort of phones are tied to.

This exactly. If you're short on money, getting an expensive subsidized phone is NOT the solution. You can get a decent phone for under $200, and a pretty great one under 300-400 if you look elsewhere than what the carriers sell.

Agreed. I work in a lot of Toronto housing and low income buildings and I can't help but be bothered by all the people on welfare walking around with their brand new $1k phones.

If you can afford the cash up front I'd buy the iPhone outright

You save in the long run (assuming you don't switch your phone every single year)
How much are we expecting the iPhone 7 to cost outright? I'm tempted to get a 6 or 6s right now, but if the 7 has some impressive specs and/or design, I might be willing to splurge.

While we're on the subject of phones, and I know this gets discussed a lot, but what's the best no contract BYOD route to go in [southern] Ontario? Should I go prepaid or use the top up cards? Another thing that I'm trying to consider is that I'll be going to the US for six months next year, and I'd like to be able to still be able to use my phone for at least unlimited texting to the US and Canada. Are there any providers that will be able to give me a good rate while here in Canada, but also be able to follow me into the US for a low rate?

Xenoflare

How much are we expecting the iPhone 7 to cost outright? I'm tempted to get a 6 or 6s right now, but if the 7 has some impressive specs and/or design, I might be willing to splurge.

While we're on the subject of phones, and I know this gets discussed a lot, but what's the best no contract BYOD route to go in [southern] Ontario? Should I go prepaid or use the top up cards? Another thing that I'm trying to consider is that I'll be going to the US for six months next year, and I'd like to be able to still be able to use my phone for at least unlimited texting to the US and Canada. Are there any providers that will be able to give me a good rate while here in Canada, but also be able to follow me into the US for a low rate?

The current prices for the 6s/6splus should be a good metric to measure the price of iPhone 7.

It won't have a headphone jack.

I'd get a 6s or SE after the 7 though if you really want an iPhone

sikkinixx

Attempted delivery. Notice card left indicating where item can be picked up.

LOL okay Canada Post. Sitting by my window the whole time soooooo.... nah. And notice card? Yeah there ain't one of those either.

The current prices for the 6s/6splus should be a good metric to measure the price of iPhone 7.

It won't have a headphone jack.

I'd get a 6s or SE after the 7 though if you really want an iPhone
Are there any major differences between the 6(s) and SE that make it worth going for the 6s over the SE? I'm not a big phone person, and I just figured that the SE was a watered down version of the iPhone 6; but after doing a comparison on Apple's website, it seems mostly cosmetic and camera related. For someone that mostly uses their phone for for music, texting, and some social media (Snapchat), would it really matter if I just went for the SE? I can afford to get an iPhone 6s, but I'll save some money if possible. One of my main concerns is that my phone will be able to handle all future iOS updates for like, 3+ years. (I'd get the 64GB model)

lupinko

Are there any major differences between the 6(s) and SE that make it worth going for the 6s over the SE? I'm not a big phone person, and I just figured that the SE was a watered down version of the iPhone 6; but after doing a comparison on Apple's website, it seems mostly cosmetic and camera related. For someone that mostly uses their phone for for music, texting, and some social media (Snapchat), would it really matter if I just went for the SE? I can afford to get an iPhone 6s, but I'll save some money if possible. One of my main concerns is that my phone will be able to handle all future iOS updates for like, 3+ years. (I'd get the 64GB model)

SE has the 6S' chipset with maybe I think less camera options or something (could be wrong), but the big selling point is that it's a 6S in a 5S body.

Xenoflare

If the size actually doesn't matter to you, then what the SE truly lacks is a good front facing camera since it still uses the same one of the 5s, and if you do not mind the small size there are no reason to choose 6s over SE since the former easily shoots over $1000 even before taxes.

Interestingly enough, since the SE still uses the 5S resolution, it has better graphics benchmarks than the 6s.

3 years should be fine with SE

SE has the 6S' chipset with maybe I think less camera options or something (could be wrong), but the big selling point is that it's a 6S in a 5S body.

If the size actually doesn't matter to you, then what the SE truly lacks is a good front facing camera since it still uses the same one of the 5s, and if you do not mind the small size there are no reason to choose 6s over SE since the former easily shoots over $1000 even before taxes.

Interestingly enough, since the SE still uses the 5S resolution, it has better graphics benchmarks than the 6s.

3 years should be fine with SE

Yup. I'd recommend the 6s if you game alot on your iphone, and read alot (like, e-magazines), and/or type lots of long emails. I never gamed on my 5s, now i game more on my 6s than my former 3ds because the screen is so good. However, I have a couple of pairs of jeans where the 6s is a little too big for the front pockets.

If you value price, portability, the SE is excellent value since it is just as fast. Lots of $$$ saved with incredible performance.

Maximus.

No one that can't afford it should get a $800+ phone. Especially now that you can get some really good phones in the 200-250 range.

That is sensible advice, but clearly a lot of people do not think that way.

Thanks for all the information lupinko, Xeno, and Cat! You guys just saved me a few hundred dollars. I don't play any games on my phone, and only do some light reading, so the screen size isn't all that important. I think I'll be just fine with an SE.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my question regarding the best no contract route?

I'm with Telus right now, and their prepaid plans only seem worth if it you don't intend on using any data. $45 for 500 MB and unlimited texting seems like the best rate available. Bell and Rogers pretty much offer the exact same plans.

Wind has some pretty good deals, and according to their map I live in an area (Kingston) that has Wind/Partner network coverage. $35 for 5 GB, unlimited Canada-wide calling and texting is a great deal. Chatr has $35 for unlimited calling and text, and an additional $15 for just 1 GB. I don't use a lot of data, but enough for it to impact my decision.

Wind looks like my best bet. However, I was wondering if anyone knew what I would have to do when I move to the US for six months. Will I be able to work out any kind of rate with Wind that will allow me to text in the US to the US and Canada, or will I be better off switching my provider for those six months?

Wind looks like my best bet. However, I was wondering if anyone knew what I would have to do when I move to the US for six months. Will I be able to work out any kind of rate with Wind that will allow me to text in the US to the US and Canada, or will I be better off switching my provider for those six months?

http://www.windmobile.ca/network-and-coverage/international-roaming

Second one on the list, can just be activated from your phone I think. It's what my brother uses when he goes down to the US.

Second one on the list, can just be activated from your phone I think. It's what my brother uses when he goes down to the US.
You can't ask for much better than that. Thanks for the help! Looks like I'll definitely be going with Wind.

I swear, the last 30+ pages has been all phone/contract talk lol. Not complaining, just an observation :p.
There has been a lot of phone talk lately. That's why I figured it was the perfect time to bring up my own questions, lmao.

ohlawd

fuck, forgot Amazon dropped my discount on Style Savvy and now it shipped. why pay $40 there when I can pay $40 at BB instead and still get 10x RZ? gonna stand by my window and refuse delivery when the mailperson comes. and if I don't catch them well fuck I'll keep it then

frequency

fuck, forgot Amazon dropped my discount on Style Savvy and now it shipped. why pay $40 there when I can pay $40 at BB instead and still get 10x RZ? gonna stand by my window and refuse delivery when the mailperson comes. and if I don't catch them well fuck I'll keep it then

What? Style Savvy doesn't get the 20% off at Amazon?
(Waiting for mine to ship)

ElNino

I don't know if the math works out like that exactly.

I'm looking at getting my son a phone right now (either iPhone SE or 6S).

If I decide to buy the phone outright it would be $700 for the SE or $1000 for the 6S plus tax, and then use my BYOD off-contract plan for $45/month. Or, I can get the SE for free or 6S for $200 and then my monthly on-contract plan is $60/month.

The difference in plan prices over two years is $360, so other than being locked to Rogers it is a better deal financially. However, if you can get a better deal on the phone up front when buying outright (ie. buying used) then it might be in your favour to go off-contract.

superbad

3DS system transfer is a painful process. Very impressed with the new 3DS Mario 3D Land Bundle, though. The build quality is so much nicer than the new 3DS XL I had previously.

So, any good deals on video cards? My current 7700 can't run Deus Ex MD.

How much are you looking to spend?

A lot of the current video cards just came out, so there isn't going to be much on sale, but 970s/980s/980tis should be easy to find cheap on sale or used if you're into that.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

Doom physical version for $40! Ding ding ding, the price is right! Finally!

Thanks as always for this, it's super-appreciated. I looked on BB, EB, Amazon and Walmart this morning for a sale on Doom, but never would've thought to check SDM (even though a surprisingly big part of my gaming and electronics purchases come from there).

EDIT: Oh, it only starts tomorrow? Hmm, guess I'll have to be a tiny bit more patient.

frequency

It was originally at $50 meaning I'd get a $10 discount, but it dropped to $40. paying the same price in the end but you know, it'd be nice to have 20% off the lower price

$40 is MSRP.
So, basically, Amazon isn't honoring their E3 20% off sale? Can't we complain about that?

krae_man

Not everyone who NEEDS a phone can spend $800+ upfront for a phone unlocked. Yes, for some users, it makes sense to get unlocked. For others it makes no difference and they choose to get a contract.

Getting a loan to pay for your phone in installments instead of upfront is fine especially if you're getting that loan interest free, but you need to expect $10-$25/month getting added to your bill depending on the amount of the subsidy you are getting.

So do I get the witcher 3 and the expansion pass from GOG for like $58 or wait until the 30th and see how much the complete edition is going for?

ohlawd

$40 is MSRP.
So, basically, Amazon isn't honoring their E3 20% off sale? Can't we complain about that?
nah man I remember it being 50 when it was first put up. CSR isn't gonna do shit. their go-to response is to forward your concerns to the marketing department, whatever it is. been happening a lot in the thread and CanadaGAF's success rate is close to 0%

fake edit: yeah, it was $50 at first because it was the only game I had in my order that had -$10 (20% off 50)

Kyolux

Still searching for one in good condition :-(

I'll sell you mine for
how-about-1.jpg

DrEvil

not a medical professional

Just know that international (US) data roaming is capped at about 1.2GB.. not truly "unlimited" as stated.

They'll shut your data off once you hit that cap.. learned that the hard way back in Feb during my pacific coast road trip...

edit: looks like they changed the verbiage to be 1GB of data now.. good.

Cynar

Agreed. I work in a lot of Toronto housing and low income buildings and I can't help but be bothered by all the people on welfare walking around with their brand new $1k phones.
They are getting them with the more expensive rate plans and not paying the 1000 dollars or someone may have gifted to them. They also may have purchased the phone before they ended up in their shitty situation. As someone who used to work in that field don't judge people with out knowing them, especially if you're basing your assumptions off a stupid phone. That could be their only computer with internet which is a necessity to do job searches in this day and age.

As for on topic stuff, flash sale on PSN is kinda disappointing. :(

Kyolux

I may actually get back to you on this in a month or two. Might actually be willing to sell it for a reasonable price for a fellow gaffer.

I actually bought both MML and MML2 on sale during boxing day (on their respective released years I believe) back in the days. I remember hesitating for the first one between that and X-men children of the atom I think.

Tapejara

As for on topic stuff, flash sale on PSN is kinda disappointing. :(

Yeah, the flash sales have been a bit underwhelming for me recently. Sometimes I'll stock up on those random indie games you see going for a few dollars, but this time I just got Dark Cloud 2 and Wild Arms 3, plus Max Payne from the Rockstar sale.

Cynar

Yeah, the flash sales have been a bit underwhelming for me recently. Sometimes I'll stock up on those random indie games you see going for a few dollars, but this time I just got Dark Cloud 2 and Wild Arms 3, plus Max Payne from the Rockstar sale.
You can't go wrong with either of your picks. Usually I see a lot more that jump out at me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom