• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be a new MBP being announced next Wednesday actually so if you can wait you might wanna wait it out for that new one.

Hmm, interesting. Will that cause the old models to be cheaper? I don't need a super great laptop, so I'd rather not drop a ton of money on one if I don't have to. I wonder if it's worth buying this and leaving it unopened until the new ones are announced, then deciding if I want to return it or not for the new one.

Hmm, interesting. Will that cause the old models to be cheaper? I don't need a super great laptop, so I'd rather not drop a ton of money on one if I don't have to. I wonder if it's worth buying this and leaving it unopened until the new ones are announced, then deciding if I want to return it or not for the new one.

Oh it'll definitely make the other MB and MBP models cheaper. I'm actually pretty certain thats why BB is having a sale on just the Macbook Air's and the MBP's from last year. It looks like they're just clearing stock since the MB Air is gonna be axed (since the rMB is already stupidly thin as is anyway) and the current MBP's out right now are on 1-2 year old specs. It's literally less than a week away so it wouldn't hurt to wait just a while longer

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dark Souls 3 is tempting but I want that 60fps on PC.

I should probably beat Dark Souls first (damn those Anor Londo archers)

Of course the VISA Checkout promo ends before a big sale.

What's the preferred way of playing Fates? Buy one physical and then get the rest digitally? What happens if you buy both physical versions? I assume you can transfer your save file or something.

Zeeman

Of course the VISA Checkout promo ends before a big sale.

What's the preferred way of playing Fates? Buy one physical and then get the rest digitally? What happens if you buy both physical versions? I assume you can transfer your save file or something.

You actually can't transfer your save file with the physical versions. After buying one, you need to buy the rest digitally.

ohlawd

:p
When it hits $15 or lower.
The nostalgio factor is non-existent for me :p.

Also, my response quotes aren't in green anymore what the hell?

what nostalgia factor? RE4 is revered because it's been a decade since release and you can count on one hand the number of games that play better than it. shit is a true classic. great gameplay is great gameplay, what other reason do you need?

etta

my hard graphic balls
what nostalgia factor? RE4 is revered because it's been a decade since release and you can count on one hand the number of games that play better than it. shit is a true classic. great gameplay is great gameplay, what other reason do you need?
I have no attachement to the Resident Evil franchise. I played 5 on Xbox 360 and I thought it was an average game, it did nothing for me, really.

khaaan

How do you guys feel about this Asus laptop? I like form factor, the price, and that it has an i5 but the screen is only 1366x768 which is a bit of a bummer. Conversely thisAcer has a 1600x900 screen but costs $699 or about $180 more after taking tax into account and the price feels like it's as high as I'll want to go.

I'm not really planning on gaming much but I do want to do dev stuff and real estate is always nice.

ohlawd

I have no attachement to the Resident Evil franchise. I played 5 on Xbox 360 and I thought it was an average game, it did nothing for me, really.

I didn't either when I first played 4 in 2005. what's your point, assuming you do have one

Renewed

Already have and played physical Birthright. How much would digital Conquest be? Under 29.99?

Pretty sure the discounted price of a path is $24.99 CDN. For anyone that only has the time for one path, I'd say Conquest because it was far more interesting in gameplay and what it throws at you. If you can't deal, Birthright's alright. Revelation (you have to own one of the other two paths) is kind of boring right now so I have no other opinion on it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I didn't either when I first played 4 in 2005. what's your point, assuming you do have one

I'll make the point for him. RE4 and RE5 are worlds apart. Even though RE5 follows the same template, it never reaches the stratosphere that RE4 resides on.

RE4 is a timeless classic, a masterpiece. RE5 is merely just a decent coop shooter.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'll make the point for him. RE4 and RE5 are worlds apart. Even though RE5 follows the same template, it never reaches the stratosphere that RE4 resides on.

RE4 is a timeless classic, a masterpiece. RE5 is merely just a decent coop shooter.
The hell, no, man.
Look there are hundreds probably thousands of good games out there that I don't play. Does that mean I gotta go buy every one of them? No, I buy the ones I have some sort of connection with, ones that I can relate to in some way. That's my point.

The hell, no, man.
Look there are hundreds probably thousands of good games out there that I don't play. Does that mean I gotta go buy every one of them? No, I buy the ones I have some sort of connection with, ones that I can relate to in some way. That's my point.

No one is forcing you to play it right now but just make sure to keep it on your radar :)

etta

my hard graphic balls
No one is forcing you to play it right now but just make sure to keep it on your radar :)
Yes that's what I'm saying. If the 94 metacritic was due to story plus gameplay then I would've bought it now, but apparently it's mostly due to the gameplay so that's not enough for me to buy it right away.
I don't get why people are surprised I'm not insta-buying it lol.

terrible

Banned
Yes that's what I'm saying. If the 94 metacritic was due to story plus gameplay then I would've bought it now, but apparently it's mostly due to the gameplay so that's not enough for me to buy it right away.

You better buy the game I personally really like right this second or else!

Pretty sure the discounted price of a path is $24.99 CDN. For anyone that only has the time for one path, I'd say Conquest because it was far more interesting in gameplay and what it throws at you. If you can't deal, Birthright's alright. Revelation (you have to own one of the other two paths) is kind of boring right now so I have no other opinion on it.

Okay I've been reading up on this and I think this is how it works?

Option 1: Buy 2 physical copies.

-Play Birthright. At a certain point, you choose a path. Choose the Conquest path, you're prompted to buy it digitally. You're basically "forced" to choose the Birthright path. Play through that.
-Play Conquest. Same thing as before; pick the Conquest path unless you buy Birthright digitally. Play through that.
-Buy Revelation on the eShop and download it to your SD card. Both cartridges can access this path?

Option 2: Buy 1 physical copy.

-Play that campaign. At a point, you choose a path. You buy the path you don't have if you end up on that one. Play through it.
-Go back and play through the other path?
-Buy Revelation, play through that.
-Unlock in-game bonuses that give you classes that are only otherwise available through paid DLC.

Does the only way to play the whole game involve going back and choosing the other path? There's no continuity there? And is Revelation played last no matter what, or does the order not matter?

Ryukori

-Play Birthright. At a certain point, you choose a path. Choose the Conquest path, you're prompted to buy it digitally. You're basically "forced" to choose the Birthright path. Play through that.
-Play Conquest. Same thing as before; pick the Conquest path unless you buy Birthright digitally. Play through that.
-Buy Revelation on the eShop and download it to your SD card. Both cartridges can access this path?

-Play that campaign. At a point, you choose a path. You buy the path you don't have if you end up on that one. Play through it.
-Unlock in-game bonuses that give you classes that are only otherwise available through paid DLC.

Does the only way to play the whole game involve going back and choosing the other path? There's no continuity there? And is Revelation played last no matter what, or does the order not matter?

I'm interested in buying both, so I did some research as well. From what I understand, if you buy both copies physically and you buy the DLC, the DLC will only be tied to one of the games. So it's cheaper to buy one game physical, and buy the other path and DLC digitally.

jzbluz

No continuity, and I think if you already have Revelations then you can play it first if you want. You get the most bonuses if you either buy everything digitally or option 2. There's also two free dlc.

Bronetta

No one cares if you're not buying it. I was just setting the record straight that RE4 and RE5 are very different games quality wise.

etta

my hard graphic balls
No one cares if you're not buying it. I was just setting the record straight that RE4 and RE5 are very different games quality wise.
Then why did you use the "let me make the point for him"? It implied you were taking part in the original argument concerning me buying RE4 instead of Batman AK.

Firestorm

There should be a new MBP being announced next Wednesday actually so if you can wait you might wanna wait it out for that new one.
Current rumours say that it'll be an iPhone event and we won't get new MBPs until October which would be crappy but still worth waiting for as it's supposed to be the next big revision rather than just a refresh of stats. I wouldn't buy an MBP now if you can afford to wait a month.

Bronetta

Then why did you use the "let me make the point for him"? It implied you were taking part in the original argument concerning me buying RE4 instead of Batman AK.

Once again because I thought you were comparing RE5 and RE4. I didn't follow the Arkham Knight conversation but anyways let's put this behind us. There's tons of good games out there but that doesn't mean you or I will like each one.

On another note, I stopped by Best Buy to check out the VIP sale and they had Dark Souls 3 steel books so I ended up getting a PS4 copy. Might be worth checking to see if your location has any bonuses.

Xenoflare

Order does not matter, you can play your unlocked bath however you want

I highly recommend against option 1, the game has a savedata that carries over for all paths that will not work if birthright and conquest are bought physically since the two games will not recognize each other.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Once again because I thought you were comparing RE5 and RE4. I didn't follow the Arkham Knight conversation but anyways let's put this behind us. There's tons of good games out there but that doesn't mean you or I will like each one.
No worries, no hard feelings. I just assumed you were referring to the earlier part of the discussion.

Kyolux

Purolator question guys...

I ordered Ash VS Evil dead season 1 blu ray on Tuesday through amazon.ca.

I got this notice on tracking half an hour ago.

Delivered today
Your package was delivered.
The delivery receipt was signed by OSNR Front Door

What does it mean? No one's home.

edit: Found an explanation.

OSNR-Signature Not Required
This option authorizes Purolator to automatically release shipments without a signature if the drop-off location is determined to be safe and secure.

Oh crap. I ordered both Vita and PS3 versions of the game because I wasn't sure if I wanted to switch from Vita.

Vita is life but I prefer the novelty of getting a brand-new ps3 game in 2016.

Origin Signature Not Required

Iced

edit: Found an explanation.

It's gotta be "(something) signature not required". The package has been dropped off at your front door.

I had this done to me with a $600 graphics card. Awesome.

Kyolux

It's gotta be "(something) signature not required". The package has been dropped off at your front door.

I had this done to me with a $600 graphics card. Awesome.

I guess if you don't trust your neighbors.. that sucks..

I have no issue with them leaving stuff in my yard (I have a front facing fence, so this might help, but even before I put that up, I didn't really mind.

Though I don't know the people renting in front since last month I guess...

Bronetta

Oh crap. I ordered both Vita and PS3 versions of the game because I wasn't sure if I wanted to switch from Vita.

Did you get a discount or MSRP. I may be interested in that Vita version.

I've been looking at laptops for a while, since mine is crapping out on me, and might have finally found one.

Any red flags that I should be aware of? I'm only semi-knowledgable when it comes to this sort of thing.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=a96f2ba92f82b5e94815ef0ca2a12ee6en02

Well seems like a pretty ordinary laptop.

+ Big Screen
+ 12GB RAM
+ USB C port for the future
+ USB regular ports for now
+ Discrete graphics

- Way too big for the battery to last very long, 2800 mAh is really small. 17" laptops are not expected to have great battery life anyway, but just FYI
- Probably will run hot wherever the battery is
- 940MX is really slow as far as games go, I'm sure it can run some older stuff but would not rely on it for that. Regular apps/browsing is fine, of course.
- Regular hard drive, not an SSD
- Screen is not even 1080p

Basically just a generic laptop that probably runs a bit too hot and has slower components with bigger numbers to wow joe consumer. But it probably works alright so if you're just web browsing and MS Office then you won't care. At 17" it's too heavy to really be a portable anyway.

Cactus

Banned
Well seems like a pretty ordinary laptop.

+ Big Screen
+ 12GB RAM
+ USB C port for the future
+ USB regular ports for now
+ Discrete graphics

- Way too big for the battery to last very long, 2800 mAh is really small. 17" laptops are not expected to have great battery life anyway, but just FYI
- Probably will run hot wherever the battery is
- 940MX is really slow as far as games go, I'm sure it can run some older stuff but would not rely on it for that. Regular apps/browsing is fine, of course.
- Regular hard drive, not an SSD
- Screen is not even 1080p

Basically just a generic laptop that probably runs a bit too hot and has slower components with bigger numbers to wow joe consumer. But it probably works alright so if you're just web browsing and MS Office then you won't care. At 17" it's too heavy to really be a portable anyway.

Thanks. It's for home use, but the heat/battery stuff is really concerning.

I saw a non-steelbook version at an eb games last week.

Yeah, it's for this reason that I decided to go for Video Games Plus.ca instead, since they outright advertise it coming with the armored case (steelbox). Seems I got the last one too, as it's listed as "out of stock" now.

Cost a few bucks more, but I'll do anything for a new, good Valkyria Chronicles. (Plus the PS4 version looks subtly better than the PC version)

Ondore

Huh, just got buzzed for a SMT IV Apocalypse price drop to $59.99 at Amazon.

This was on an E3 order so... I'm probably going to have to fight for the discount, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom