• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renewed

You're right, I'm missing a whole $4. Time to raise hell.

Also those previous posts on Fates are right. If you don't care about path bonuses or whatever, decide which version you'd dedicate the DLC to.

It should be concerning, IMO.

Two Acer laptops I've seen family use overheat when using YouTube @ 720 or higher.

It's not necessarily an Acer thing though. The basic problem is that it's a big laptop with huge power intake. The screen is big (if low res), there is a lot of RAM, discrete graphics...and the battery capacity is really small. Like half a Microsoft Surface or Apple laptop. So the battery is basically just lit on fire like a short candle. And unlike those Apple non-removable options, the battery is typically in a small cylinder at the back rather than spread across a wide surface area. This makes it easier to replace but gives a lot less room for heat dissipation to take place.

Because it's so big, you might only feel the heat from the CPU exhaust and the back end where the battery usually is, but it typically rolls out *hot*.

Anyway, it will function, I imagine for general use you should expect like 2-2.5hours battery life (if you're using a reasonably bright screen + wifi) and probably more like 90 minutes if you're playing games or doing other CPU/GPU intensive things. But it's 17". Like, pretty much at that size you should always be bringing a power brick with you. Even a Mac at 17" is not going to be a battery powerhouse.

Just my two cents from experience with this form factor.

So it looks like BB nixed their NMS offer it's showing up at full price again, so much for my pricematch.

*correction amazon.ca has it at 49.99 so pricematch is still possible.

So I'm in the market for a stereo headset is there any input in the thread for either the rig500hd, or TB px24's? the difference is only $10 and as far as I know they can both be used via 3.5mm ports.

Huh, just got buzzed for a SMT IV Apocalypse price drop to $59.99 at Amazon.

This was on an E3 order so... I'm probably going to have to fight for the discount, right?

Ah, fuck me. I haven't had to deal with this yet, what's everyone saying to their CSR about this stuff? I hate having to fight CSRs for discounts we're supposed to be getting already.

Ah, fuck me. I haven't had to deal with this yet, what's everyone saying to their CSR about this stuff? I hate having to fight CSRs for discounts we're supposed to be getting already.
If the item is lower on site than in your cart just say that there should be little to no fight involved... unless that is you had a CSR apply an e3 discount that reduced your base price. that can get tricky.

If the item is lower on site than in your cart just say that there should be little to no fight involved... unless that is you had a CSR apply an e3 discount that reduced your base price. that can get tricky.

My order shows $59.99 for SMT4A, but I'm missing the adjusted discount of $4 when I do the math. I normally don't contact CSRs and in the past even advised people against contacting CSRs to make sure their orders got adjusted after price drops because I used to have faith in Amazon.ca always adjusting. Then this year's E3 happened and threw all of that out the window, so I'm not really sure anymore.

SickBoy

Is quantum break any good

I was totally satisfied with it, despite its Syfy-calibre "TV show" elements. I think some people might have been harder on it because of the live-action stuff... I really enjoyed the core gameplay (though I know not everyone did). Also, it's no Uncharted 4, but it's got a really unique look and the "time fracture" graphical effects are especially neat.

N° 2048

I loved Quantum Break, I can't see myself replaying it but I liked it enough to feel good about Day 1 price. I'm pretty sure it was part of my Amazon E3 30% (RIP) order.

Any way for somebody in Quebec to get a decent price on the Sega 3D Classics pack? As seems to have become the norm, it doesn't ship to our neck of the woods.

frequency

I tried talking to Amazon about the miscalculated discount on my E3 pre-order. They refused to do anything and kept insisting they were correct and giving all sorts of excuses about my games not being eligible and stuff. I gave up and waited until a game on the order shipped.

Style Savvy shipped with the following invoice
Item Subtotal: CDN$ 39.99
Shipping and handling: CDN$ 0.00
E3 20% Off: -CDN$ 4.45
Tax Calculated (GST/HST): CDN$ 1.78
Tax Calculated (PST/QST): CDN$ 2.84
Total: CDN$ 40.16

And I contacted them again and asked them to show me what math makes $4.45 20% of $39.99. They gave me a refund of the difference after.

So for the rest of my order I'll be waiting until after the game ships to contact them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I tried talking to Amazon about the miscalculated discount on my E3 pre-order. They refused to do anything and kept insisting they were correct and giving all sorts of excuses about my games not being eligible and stuff. I gave up and waited until a game on the order shipped.

And I contacted them again and asked them to show me what math makes $4.45 20% of $39.99. They gave me a refund of the difference after.

So for the rest of my order I'll be waiting until after the game ships to contact them.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably take this route.

This is what I decided to do right when we found out that Amazon's discount system was broken at E3. I am going to cancel the majority of my pre-orders, so no point in me arguing over something I probably won't even get.

ohlawd

see, what'd I tell you lol. Amazon has gone the shitter for their E3 deals this year. when you gotta bust out the math, you know it's different.

Kyolux

Yeah, I think it's clear E3 deals are basically done.

Not given up hope.. but yeah, with people needing to bother CSR to get their actual discounts, they'll probably blame it on us trying to play the system again even though that's a bunch of bs.

Oh well.. we'll always have 2013.
in our memories, and in kingdom hearts 3

UberTag

Yeah, I think it's clear E3 deals are basically done.
Looking forward to see how they kill Black Friday this year. And put an end to all pre-order discounts from now until the end of time.
Which suits me just fine as pre-ordering out of principal still seems like foolishness to me.

khaaan

Vita is life but I prefer the novelty of getting a brand-new ps3 game in 2016.

lol, I generally prefer Vita because it's easier for me to find time with a handheld than a console and I didn't mind the technical shortcomings but the big screen is tempting =P

Did you get a discount or MSRP. I may be interested in that Vita version.

I'm still trying to decide which one I'm going to go with, I ordered both during the E3 deals so it's 15% off of $50 or whatever the deal was. If I keep the PS3 version I'll let you know about the Vita one =)

Thanks. It's for home use, but the heat/battery stuff is really concerning.

I'm upset now, I just bought it last night :(
I was already kind of bummed when I opened it up and saw how big it is. I know I saw it in store but actually having it on your lap in your home feels different than the store. I was double minded while I was there and picked it over the Asus Espire which came with a i7 and GTX920M but the screen was only 1366x768. I thought I was making a good choice by sacrificing the processor (which I don't care much for) for the nicer screen.

Edit: Can you return laptops if you've opened them/turned them on? I'm getting some serious remorse now :( I feel like if I was willing to go to $800 I might as well spend a little more and get a MacBook Pro or a nice ultrabook.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Any deals for getting rhythm whatever on 3ds? I want physical so I'd have to import I guess

Whoa just saw it isn't even out in Europe yet. Wow. Anyone preorder this?

SickBoy

I don't think preorder deals will be dead, but it certainly looks like whatever system they implemented this year was intended to prevent inadvertantly stacking discount upon discounts (i.e.: $35 preorders for Gears of War from E3 2015)

I think next time they offer this sale they'll really need to just manually adjust the prices on each product page rather than offering a "promo." Maybe more headache at the time, but probably less in the long run for everyone.

DVG

So would it be cheaper to just get both versions of fire emblem at bestbuy or to get one and download the other? I know its 20 bucks to download in the states but I'm not sure how much the eshop inflates it.

Ryukori

So would it be cheaper to just get both versions of fire emblem at bestbuy or to get one and download the other? I know its 20 bucks to download in the states but I'm not sure how much the eshop inflates it.

It's cheaper to buy the other game digital, but only by like $5. You also get the bonuses this way.

Kyolux

Edit: Can you return laptops if you've opened them/turned them on? I'm getting some serious remorse now :( I feel like if I was willing to go to $800 I might as well spend a little more and get a MacBook Pro or a nice ultrabook.

For sure you can. At least in Quebec. Software and underwears are like the only thing that they can legally refuse to take back afaik.

I don't think preorder deals will be dead, but it certainly looks like whatever system they implemented this year was intended to prevent inadvertantly stacking discount upon discounts (i.e.: $35 preorders for Gears of War from E3 2015)

I think next time they offer this sale they'll really need to just manually adjust the prices on each product page rather than offering a "promo." Maybe more headache at the time, but probably less in the long run for everyone.

They might be obligated to put a specific minimum price on the item page though. I'm not sure if that's the case, but that could be impossible for them to do so.

Kyolux

Man.. getting no luck with selling my copy of Deus Ex on PS4 on kijiji. :/

Doesn't seem like there's much people looking for it.

farisr

So what's the problem with the E3 promotion?

The only game I got so far was Madden and it was 20% off
From what I understand, the problems are mainly coming from games that had their msrp adjusted from their initial listing. Not getting a proper 20% off.

Like the system does some weird shit.

If you had a game ordered at $50, that'd be a $10 discount at 20%.
But if the msrp changed to $40, the discount should be $8 at 20%, but people are getting like $4 off instead or some cases none at all.

Also, some games just plainly didn't have the discount applied properly from the getgo even without any msrp adjustments.

Kyolux

How much are you selling it for?

Also, if you are in Vancouver, everyone uses Craigslist.

I'm in National Capital Region, Quebec side.

Started at 70 after seeing others asking 75-80 (since taxes bring it up over 90 I assume they think 80 is fine.

I'm down to 60 and offering Human Revolution with it on PS3 for free if they care to have it.

There's just not that many views, and craigslist isn't all that used here for games, afaik.

I'm in National Capital Region, Quebec side.

Started at 70 after seeing others asking 75-80 (since taxes bring it up over 90 I assume they think 80 is fine.

I'm down to 60 and offering Human Revolution with it on PS3 for free if they care to have it.

There's just not that many views, and craigslist isn't all that used here for games, afaik.

Would you do 60 including the PS3?

Jokes aside the game seems to have been a very moderate success so I'm not surprised that you're struggling to get rid of it.

Kyolux

Would you do 60 including the PS3?

Jokes aside the game seems to have been a very moderate success so I'm not surprised that you're struggling to get rid of it.

Yeah, took me like 2 hours to find a buyer for NMS, but I didn't wait that long to sell that one. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom