• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBoy

I reported Best Buy's cheaper Fire Emblem price to Amazon in hopes they'd price match it. Kinda glad they didn't, I forgot I had a $20 Best Buy gift card sitting in my wallet for just such an occasion.

Stage On

Yeah, I think it's clear E3 deals are basically done.

If that's the case I hope it bites them in the ass with decreased sales. $80 for a console title and $50-60 for Handheld is simply too expensive even before tax comes into the equation.

Looking forward to see how they kill Black Friday this year. And put an end to all pre-order discounts from now until the end of time.
Which suits me just fine as pre-ordering out of principal still seems like foolishness to me.

What's wrong with it? Pre-order discounts for some games are the only discount they will ever get. Getting a discount up front is better then never getting one at all

DJ_Lae

It should be concerning, IMO.

Two Acer laptops I've seen family use overheat when using YouTube @ 720 or higher.

Acer has weird variations in quality from line to line. I've had a TimelineX that's been absolutely rock solid for the five years I've had it, which is better than any other laptop I've owned before, from Dell to Lenovo.

But their cheap models are kind of sketchy.

Kieli

Acer has weird variations in quality from line to line. I've had a TimelineX that's been absolutely rock solid for the five years I've had it, which is better than any other laptop I've owned before, from Dell to Lenovo.

I got a fairly new and really cheap Acer laptop. The screen constantly flickers and occasionally completely blacks out (thankfully rarely).

The price/performance ratio was absolutely there, but I won't go with Acer again given build quality.

khaaan

I tried doing a bit more looking around and the Acer Aspire E5 series seems to have gotten pretty good reviews. The only thing I'm not sure how to guage is the mode because most reviews are for E5-500 series while the laptop at Best Buy is E5-700 series.

I don't know how trustworthy Hardware-revolution is but their reviews seem pretty detailed and they ranked the Acer E5-500 series as decent budget gaming laptops....so...I dunno?

Maybe I will end up keeping it >_<
It seems like an okay laptop but my only concern is that 17" is a bit too big.

Yeah, took me like 2 hours to find a buyer for NMS, but I didn't wait that long to sell that one. Oh well.

It's about timing.

NMS was released in the summer, lots of time for people to get hyped and try to find a copy.

Now it's back-to-school. Everyone's busy with other non-gaming things.

Give it a couple weeks. The game's not going to have a big price drop so unless you really want it gone there's no real rush to get rid of it.

Kyolux

It's about timing.

NMS was released in the summer, lots of time for people to get hyped and try to find a copy.

Now it's back-to-school. Everyone's busy with other non-gaming things.

Give it a couple weeks. The game's not going to have a big price drop so unless you really want it gone there's no real rush to get rid of it.

True. I just want some money for it by the time PS VR comes out.

etta

my hard graphic balls
True. I just want some money for it by the time PS VR comes out.
What did you list Deus Ex at? I haven't had a single respose at $70. I only wanted to sell it so I can get Mafia III on day one, and then buy it back again later to have in my collection.

Kyolux

What did you list Deus Ex at? I haven't had a single respose at $70. I only wanted to sell it so I can get Mafia III on day one, and then buy it back again later to have in my collection.

Started at 70 too.. I'm down to 50 now. But not going lower than that.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Started at 70 too.. I'm down to 50 now. But not going lower than that.
Damn lol, oh well I'll keep it at $70 for another week or two, maybe there's some suckers in my area XD.

At least I can stop spamming the thread about a Batman AK sale :p
Jksfxfd.jpg

I decided to say screw it and get it at $30, and what do you know good old moirai's got my back. I went to Best Buy with my dad and he happened to have had a $20 Best Buy coupon on him, so I got it for $13 in the end lols. I'm on the science side of things but you'll never catch me saying there is no such thing as a God, or more accurately, a force of some kind. Sure this was purely coincidental from a scientific view, but the chances of all the events transpiring as they did in combination is incredibly minimal, moirai had to have had a hand in it.
Anyone want a Harley Quinn story pack code?

Did someone mention another Landmark Cinemas promotion? I went back in May, and used the Atom app to get a free ticket. Is there another opportunity to do so?

etta

my hard graphic balls
*"you're in BC" as in that's as far as I know about where you're at.

well there is only one deus ex listing in bc, not hard to figure out for a lurker
That's so weird though lol. I can't see a reason why someone might do that. I guess if they were on GAF as well and wanted to buy your game, but then they'd just tell you here first.

i-Jest

How do you guys feel about this Asus laptop? I like form factor, the price, and that it has an i5 but the screen is only 1366x768 which is a bit of a bummer. Conversely thisAcer has a 1600x900 screen but costs $699 or about $180 more after taking tax into account and the price feels like it's as high as I'll want to go.

I'm not really planning on gaming much but I do want to do dev stuff and real estate is always nice.

I won't be doing it now but when I upgrade from this old ass Acer, I'm getting an Asus. I've heard good things about the brand over the years. As for specs I think that 15" is good enough for school work but if design and development is your intention, you may need something with a bit more power. I'm not all that great when it comes to advice on specs though, take what I say with a smidgen of salt.

Someone care to chime in?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm not in BC.. im in QC near Ottawa.

Maybe it's someone that lurks/can't post but keeps up with this thread.
Wait, so is there just one listing for QC Kijiji as well, then?
Either way, I can PM you a secret code on GAF messages and then ask that person for the code and if they refuse to give it to you or don't know then you know it's not me.
Edit: wait that doesn't work out as I thought.
I'm open to suggestions if you have any :p

Kyolux

Wait, so is there just one listing for QC Kijiji as well, then?
Either way, I can PM you a secret code on GAF messages and then ask that person for the code and if they refuse to give it to you or don't know then you know it's not me.
Edit: wait that doesn't work out as I thought.
I'm open to suggestions if you have any :p

lol.. it's ok. don't worry about it.

I'm in B.C. and I sold a copy of Deus Ex for $70 brand new on day one.

Asking for $70 used is way too much. I've sold quite a few games on Craigslist in my time (normally used), and a used game within the first few weeks usually goes for $50 to $60.

I bought an electric pencil sharpener from Staples tonight. I didn't have my phone with me, though, so I couldn't check Amazon reviews while doing so.

When I got home, I noticed that reviews have been quite mixed. The majority (42%?) are 5 star, but there are some 1s and the like saying it doesn't work well.

Does anyone know if Staples has a satisfaction guarantee? I'm wary of opening it in case I don't like it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm in B.C. and I sold a copy of Deus Ex for $70 brand new on day one.

Asking for $70 used is way too much. I've sold quite a few games on Craigslist in my time (normally used), and a used game within the first few weeks usually goes for $50 to $60.
Yea I might lower it sooner, then, but I'm adamant to sell it at all because it's such a fantastic game. I can't get Mafia at release if I don't, though, and I can just pick it up again in a year or two when it hits $20. Hmmmmm...

Quick

Banned
I bought an electric pencil sharpener from Staples tonight. I didn't have my phone with me, though, so I couldn't check Amazon reviews while doing so.

When I got home, I noticed that reviews have been quite mixed. The majority (42%?) are 5 star, but there are some 1s and the like saying it doesn't work well.

Does anyone know if Staples has a satisfaction guarantee? I'm wary of opening it in case I don't like it.

http://www.staples.ca/office/suppli...langId=1&storeId=20001&NoFollowAnchorTag=true

If you're not 100% satisfied with your Staples purchase, you can return it for any reason.

Your purchase must be returned in saleable condition with the original packaging, including Universal Product Code (UPC), manuals, parts and your receipt or packing slip. Any personal information should be removed from the item before returning it to the store.

Basically, open it neatly, and keep everything that came inside the packaging.

Pretty much the same as other stores.

Thanks

I discovered that just before you posted. It's good to know.

EDIT: Well, I broke down and bought the artist quality pencil crayons. They're $90.99 instead of $280 and change on Amazon for some reason. Hopefully they'll arrive break free.

Yea I might lower it sooner, then, but I'm adamant to sell it at all because it's such a fantastic game. I can't get Mafia at release if I don't, though, and I can just pick it up again in a year or two when it hits $20. Hmmmmm...

My recommendation is almost always to sell the game and get the value back while you can. People rarely go back to a game within the first year. So why not sell now for $55 or $60 and buy it in a year or two on the cheap ($20 or less) if you are inclined to play it again. Honestly, I normally don't end up re-buying games anyway. I pre-order all the upcoming new releases during E3 for a discount, play the game, then sell to recover $50 to $60 to put toward the next one. I generally don't need to replay anything since I've happily moved on to the next. There are exceptions (usually long RPGs or some open world games), but not many.

daftstar

Anyone here picked up the complete edition of The Witcher 3 for PS4? It's not listed on EB Games' website and Best Buy has none in stock in my area.. I'd like to trade in Uncharted 4 towards it and hope to get it $30 off.

kevin1025

Banned
Did someone mention another Landmark Cinemas promotion? I went back in May, and used the Atom app to get a free ticket. Is there another opportunity to do so?

It's $8 day every day till the 8th at Landmark. I don't think there's any other current promotions, though.

iLLmAtlc

What's the market like for old games anyhow? I've been thinking about unloading some of my PS3/ps4 games that I probably won't ever play again.

Okay, I decided to buy Valkyria Chronicles Remastered from Videogamesplus.ca because they actually advertise having the armored case. Seems I got the last one too, as it became 'out of stock' as soon as my order began processing.

I'm nervous though - it says that it was send via Canada Post lettermail with no tracking - should I be worried that the armored case (the reason I bought from them) may get damaged /dented/scratched in shipment?

How do they pack their goods? Should I be worried about shipping damage, or is Video Games Plus reliable?

Renewed

How do they pack their goods? Should I be worried about shipping damage, or is Video Games Plus reliable?

Last game I received from them was Infamous Second Son in a bubble mailer (November or so). It arrived alright.
I ordered Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection dammit

Last game I received from them was Infamous Second Son in a bubble mailer (November or so). It arrived alright.
I ordered Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection dammit

Alright - the bubble mailer doesn't inspire confidence (much rather have a cardboard 'envolope' like Amazon's packing) but at least it arrived alright - even if it was the wrong game..?

Finger's crossed... They did reply just now saying that I could contact them if it's damaged in transit, so I'm hoping for the best.

Ryukori

Anyone know where I can find a copy of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire / Omega Ruby for either $35 used or $40 brand new? I've tried Kijiji and Craigslist for used, but haven't had any luck.

My Canadian friends, I need help in deciding which platform I should get Battlefield 1 on, same goes for Skyrim remaster. I have both major consoles, but for the life of me I can't decide which console to get those games on. Help me sway my decision?

Thanks ;)

farisr

My Canadian friends, I need help in deciding which platform I should get Battlefield 1 on, same goes for Skyrim remaster. I have both major consoles, but for the life of me I can't decide which console to get those games on. Help me sway my decision?

Thanks ;)
Skyrim, if you want mods, get in on Xbox. If you don't care about those, then PS4.

Battlefield 1, if you have any friends that are going to get it (and you do end up playing with them often in other games like this), get it on the platform they have. Or if you're really into it and will be getting the DLC and would like it earlier, get it on Xbox. If those two things don't really apply to you, and like me, you don't have any issues with either controllers when it comes to shooters, get it on ps4.

Thanks ;)
If you want mods consider skyrim on xbox, Bethesda has had trouble getting mods for fallout 4 working on ps4.

i-Jest

Anyone know where I can find a copy of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire / Omega Ruby for either $35 used or $40 brand new? I've tried Kijiji and Craigslist for used, but haven't had any luck.

Wait for a sale, whenever that is. Keep an eye on Amazon's temporary price drops.

N° 2048

Thanks ;)

Do not get Skyrim on PS4 if you want mods.

Bethesda and Sony fucked that one up.

Keep an eye out for the weekly SDM flyers. They had for $30 like a month or so ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom