• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

should i buy a xbox one controller to use as a pc controller or should i buy another ds4?

Xbox One controller. Unless you feel the DS4 is the superior one. Keep in mind though, almost all Xbox One exclusives like Forza and Gears and Halo and every other game will see PC ports going forward. So you'd be better off with a controller that is already suited for those games.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
For anyone still concerned about the NES Mini, I recently got hired as a Nintendo Rep and November 11th is being deemed as this year's "Nintendo Day". So assuming that they're making an event out of it, there should be enough to go around.
You should totally give me some Nintendo swag.

Xbox One controller. Unless you feel the DS4 is the superior one. Keep in mind though, almost all Xbox One exclusives like Forza and Gears and Halo and every other game will see PC ports going forward. So you'd be better off with a controller that is already suited for those games.

do the new controllers still suffer from the stick drift issue im reading about?

leeman

For anyone still concerned about the NES Mini, I recently got hired as a Nintendo Rep and November 11th is being deemed as this year's "Nintendo Day". So assuming that they're making an event out of it, there should be enough to go around.

Glad to hear it, hope I can grab one online :).

not what i read, with the stick drift issues the xbone controllers have

I've used many and have never had stick drift.

Meanwhile, the L1/R1 buttons on DS4s always feel fragile and I had to return one because it stuck.

Do what you want, though. Just giving my two cents as a controller collector.

Madness

do the new controllers still suffer from the stick drift issue im reading about?

yeah thats what i decided to do, the xbox one controllers seem way to fragile to spend $60 on

not what i read, with the stick drift issues the xbone controllers have

I mean you ask but have already made your mind up. You said you needed a new controller for PC. I said Xbox One controllers are better as an option because there will be more games built around it. Try playing Gears 4 with a dualshock as opposed to the Xbox One controller.

Stick drift is not prevalent in Xbox One more so than any other analog joystick controller. This is something that has existed since the N64 days. There was probably more stick drift on the 360 sticks than Xbox One sticks even though XB1 sticks are looser. You will see it right away, or it might develop. I haven't heard anything, and Chewie who has probably gone through many is telling you his thoughts as well. I have three Xbox one controllers now. None have stick drift, no issues yet, no rubber issues etc. One is an elite though which I baby more than the others.

I mean you ask but have already made your mind up. You said you needed a new controller for PC. I said Xbox One controllers are better as an option because there will be more games built around it. Try playing Gears 4 with a dualshock as opposed to the Xbox One controller.

Stick drift is not prevalent in Xbox One more so than any other analog joystick controller. This is something that has existed since the N64 days. There was probably more stick drift on the 360 sticks than Xbox One sticks even though XB1 sticks are looser. You will see it right away, or it might develop. I haven't heard anything, and Chewie who has probably gone through many is telling you his thoughts as well. I have three Xbox one controllers now. None have stick drift, no issues yet, no rubber issues etc. One is an elite though which I baby more than the others.
well i was still undecided when i posted the question and did more research on other sites afterwards , and the biggest issues that would effect me are stick drift which i read many complaints about and issues with connecting the controller to windows 10

also doesnt help that i would have bought the controller from amazon, if i was buying from a local store, i would be inclined to give the xbone controller a try since it would be easier to return if i could not get the controller to work with my pc

I would sell the following for $350 in Greater Vancouver if anyone is interested (once the PS4 Pro launches):
- 500GB launch PS4.
- Controller.
- PT demo.
- Deus Ex.
- Doom.
- The Division.

I own both consoles and I'll take the Xbox One controller any day, except for maybe playing a dpad focused game. But even then it's a stretch.

Same. I prefer the DualShock's d-pad, but nothing else.

I drop my controllers all the time, even on the concrete floors at work. 1x elite, 1x BT White, 3x normal (1 OG) and I have had zero issues with any of them.

Good to hear

I've never dropped one, thankfully. I game on my bed and am really careful with my controllers. That's not to say you're not or that shit doesn't happen -- I did drop a DS3, which got a ding in it, and also dropped my Tomb Raider 360 controller, which got a mark on its nice-looking paint job. But barely a mark.

I only use one controller at a time, and have used multiple ones as my main. But I'm too afraid to even touch my Elite, lol.

hmm, how simple is it to connect the xbox one s controller to a pc via bluetooth? i also read stuff updating the controller, how does that work with windows 10?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I drop my controllers all the time, even on the concrete floors at work. 1x elite, 1x BT White, 3x normal (1 OG) and I have had zero issues with any of them.

Haven't dropped any of them, but all 3 Xbox controllers I've purchased suffered from stick drift. Two from launch, and one of the second generation ones.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I only use one controller at a time, and have used multiple ones as my main. But I'm too afraid to even touch my Elite, lol.

It's just a controller, bro. It was made to be used.

Haines

Banned
My controllers are buggered from being dropped by kids.

The xbox right bumpers work but are jammed in a bit.

My ps4 controller she'll twisted and the thing wouldn't stop turning on so I junked it.

I have 3 clumsy people tho. My stuff normally lasts forever.

My launch DS4 is a bit beat up on the sticks

The PS Anniversary one has held up much better

Is Civ 6 on sale anywhere? 105 for the deluxe edition is kinda high

Hyunkel6

I just sold my PS4 + 5 games (Assassin's Creed Unity, Wolfenstein - The Old Blood, Lords of the Fallen, Until Dawn, Thief) for $350 a day after I posted on Kijiji. Got many offers too.

I don't think most people know that the Pro is coming out in the next few days.

Lexxism

DEAL

Rogers Ignite Gigabit + Extra Plus TV for $99.99 + taxes (new customers only)

332x760_smart_fit.jpg
341x760_smart_fit.jpg

RS4-

Surprisingly, I've had no issues with Rogers since I switched. Aside from having to reset my modem maybe 3 times since June because my connection would randomly drop.

Obviously, cable speed isn't always maxed out, but at least I'm getting 75-80% consistently enough I don't notice it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Depends on the carrier. Kood and Fido maybe, not Bell/Telus/Rogers AFAIK.
Yea I'm with Telus, and I was under the impression my bill would drop $10-$15 after finishing up the balance. I doubt I'm upgrading to the iPhone 7 since OLED and a complete redesign comes next year, unless I'll have some spare money laying around.
Also those fuckers won't let me keep my current $70/mo plan with 1GB/200min and visual voicemail, there's no grandfather-ing. I'll have to get an $80 plan next year for fucks sake.
Pieces of shit.
Well, if you switch to another plan then yeah. It will be a lot cheaper since you are now looking for BYOP plan.
Hmmm, what sort of plans can I get with BYOP? It doesn't have to be Telus, but I want someone reliable like them, or Rogers/Bell. Not Wind.

diaspora

Yea I'm with Telus, and I was under the impression my bill would drop $10-$15 after finishing up the balance. I doubt I'm upgrading to the iPhone 7 since OLED and a complete redesign comes next year, unless I'll have some spare money laying around.
Also those fuckers won't let me keep my current $70/mo plan with 1GB/200min and visual voicemail, there's no grandfather-ing. I'll have to get an $80 plan next year for fucks sake.
Pieces of shit.

Why not go with the Public Mobile 12GB for 3 months package? It's the same network.

kaiyo

Why not go with the Public Mobile 12GB for 3 months package? It's the same network.

I switch to public mobile the other night.

$120 -$6(with auto pay applies on the next payment) + taxes. There's no tax on the first payment.

12gb data 4g/lte
Province wide calling
Global text

Was getting 30+ mb download, 20+mb download, with 1-2 bars

kaiyo

Oh really, hmmmmmm, so it renews at the $40/mo?
So your bill is $120 and covers 3 months, or do you get charged $40 every month?

You pay every 90 days.

Works out to be about $38/month with auto pay (save $2 every month). $114 +tax every 90 days.
There's also other royalty discounts, like after one year you save $1 every month, $2 a month after the second year etc, referring a friend you save $1 every month they are subscribed. You can literally be paying $0 if you get enough people to sign up.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You pay quarterly I think- it's a $120 package that covers 3 months of service.

You pay every 90 days.

Works out to be about $38/month with auto pay (save $2 every month). $114 +tax every 90 days.
There's also other royalty discounts, like after one year you save $1 every month, referring a friend you save $1 every month they are subscribed.
God damn, I thought it was so cheap because it would end after 3 months.
So Public Mobile eh, haven't heard of them before. They're using the Telus network so I guess the same reliability and coverage, network speed is the same? Are there any downsides to them v. one of the big three? I don't want a Wind situation with spotty coverage, shit sounds scary every time I read it.

kaiyo

So Public Mobile eh, haven't heard of them before. They're using the Telus network so I guess the same reliability and coverage, network speed is the same? Are there any downsides to them v. one of the big three? I don't want a Wind situation with spotty coverage, shit sounds scary every time I read it.

They were bought out by Telus couple of years ago. So you get same coverage as Telus, Koodo.

I was with Wind before

Rbk_3

Pieces of shit.

Hmmm, what sort of plans can I get with BYOP? It doesn't have to be Telus, but I want someone reliable like them, or Rogers/Bell. Not Wind.

Google Koodo $48 5GB Plan. Very very easy to get. I have done this for myself and 6 friends.

1. Sign up for a BYOD plan like you normally would.
2. Go home, log into self serve, change your number to a Manitoba number.
3. Once your billing cycle ends in 3-7 days, switch to the Manitoba 5GB plan in Self Serve.
4. Port in your current number Telus number in Self Serve, and your set.

Lexxism

Depends on what data you are looking for. Koodo has 1GB for $40. Though this pale in comparison with Public Mobile current offer.

The catch on Public Mobile are: Self-service, no phone customer service, and no retail store to visit. If you are someone who are okay doing most of things by yourself or by asking their "community" then the Public Mobile deal is great.

kaiyo

Depends on what data you are looking for. Koodo has 1GB for $40. Though this pale in comparison with Public Mobile current offer.

The catch on Public Mobile are: Self-service, no phone customer service, and no retail store to visit. If you are someone who are okay doing most of things by yourself or by asking their "community" then the Public Mobile deal is great.

How often do you or even want to call in to your carrier? Maybe when your contract is almost up and want to get a better deal? (But never seem to get anything good) Lol

You can try them out with their 10 or 30 days plan first and after you are satisfied with it you can switch your plan to the promo plan. You future date it to start when the 10/30 days plan ends. And then also port your number in.

This promo ends on Nov. 20th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom