• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max_Po

Banned
I just sold my PS4 + 5 games (Assassin's Creed Unity, Wolfenstein - The Old Blood, Lords of the Fallen, Until Dawn, Thief) for $350 a day after I posted on Kijiji. Got many offers too.

I don't think most people know that the Pro is coming out in the next few days.

okay....

etta

my hard graphic balls
Depends on what data you are looking for. Koodo has 1GB for $40. Though this pale in comparison with Public Mobile current offer.

The catch on Public Mobile are: Self-service, no phone customer service, and no retail store to visit. If you are someone who are okay doing most of things by yourself or by asking their "community" then the Public Mobile deal is great.
Google Koodo $48 5GB Plan. Very very easy to get. I have done this for myself and 6 friends.

1. Sign up for a BYOD plan like you normally would.
2. Go home, log into self serve, change your number to a Manitoba number.
3. Once your billing cycle ends in 3-7 days, switch to the Manitoba 5GB plan in Self Serve.
4. Port in your current number Telus number in Self Serve, and your set.
I'll skip on Koodo one since this Public Mobile deal is better, and I'm fine with no customer service since I haven't needed Telus in the two years I've been with them, but that's also because nothing went wrong with the service's coverage/reliability.

How often do you or even want to call in to your carrier? Maybe when your contract is almost up and want to get a better deal? Lol

You can try them out with their 10 or 30 days plan first and after you are satisfied with it you can switch your plan to the promo plan. You future date it to start when the 10/30 days plan ends. And then also port your number in.

This promo ends on Nov. 20th.
Hmm sounds good, only problem is that my Telus contract seems to end on November 21 fuck. But I assume I can terminate it slightly early or just let it end and sign up for the Public Mobile thing anyway. I think I've already paid my last bill of the contract anyway, since I was just charged a few days ago and if I remember correctly you pay in advance, only thing that remains is I gotta unlock the iPhone 6 to work with Public Mobile, right? I bet Telus charge a hefty price for that, those bastards.

kaiyo

I'll skip on Koodo one since this Public Mobile deal is better, and I'm fine with no customer service since I haven't needed Telus in the two years I've been with them, but that's also because nothing went wrong with the service's coverage/reliability.

Hmm sounds good, only problem is that my Telus contract seems to end on November 21 fuck. But I assume I can terminate it slightly early or just let it end and sign up for the Public Mobile thing anyway. I think I've already paid my last bill of the contract anyway, since I was just charged a few days ago and if I remember correctly you pay in advance, only thing that remains is I gotta unlock the iPhone 6 to work with Public Mobile, right? I bet Telus charge a hefty price for that, those bastards.

Don't need to unlock. Telus, Koodo phone works on public mobile.

If you get the 30 day plan to try out, and then switch the plan to the promo plan, you future date it to start at the end of the 30 day plan. You can then port your number in, on the 21st of November. Once you port in you r Telus would be auto cancelled.

Rbk_3

Keep in mind, Public could easily jack up the prices in 3 months when you renew.

kaiyo

Keep in mind, Public could easily jack up the prices in 3 months when you renew.

People have been grandfathered in 2014 plans still.

Like with the Koodo MB plan trick, Koodo can cancel/force people not in MB to switch. At least with the PM promo anyone on Canada can get this plan.

Or really just like any other carrier your plan is not safe. Like the Rogers $50 corp350 plan, they are jacking up by $9.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Don't need to unlock. Telus, Koodo phone works on public mobile.

If you get the 30 day plan to try out, and then switch the plan to the promo plan, you future date it to start at the end of the 30 day plan. You can then port your number in, on the 21st of November. Once you port in you r Telus would be auto cancelled.

Wait so the Public Mobile SIM would work on an unlocked Telus iPhone? Interesting.
I don't need to try the plan out first, impressions seem good so I can jump in the 3 month $120 one, but what do you mean with the porting of number and stuff?

Telus chat is telling me Public Mobile won't work with Telus locked phones lols. Dirty bastards.

Rbk_3

Same thing can be said on that $48 plan you were talking.

I mean, for Public, aren't you paying what ever the current rate is at the time your 90 days are up? Like sign up now you get this deal, but do you get the same rate when you added another 90 days when the first 90 is up?

Telus chat is telling me Public Mobile won't work with Telus locked phones lols. Dirty bastards.

Yeah they're full of shit. It will work fine.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh yea I see here on the Public Mobile site there's a IMEI tool that tells me my device works on their network already.

kaiyo

Wait so the Public Mobile SIM would work on an unlocked Telus iPhone? Interesting.
I don't need to try the plan out first, impressions seem good so I can jump in the 3 month $120 one, but what do you mean with the porting of number and stuff?

A locked Telus phone works on Public Mobile.

Since you're Telus contact doesn't end until the 21st which is 1 day after the promo ends. You can sign up with Public mobile 30 day plan, get the cheapest one, test it out or not, you can then go on PM website and switch your plan to the promo plan any time before Nov 20th, and future date the switch to when the 30 days plan ends.

For example, you start a 30 day plan today, the 30 day plan would end on the Nov. 29th. When you future date the plan switch, the promo plan would start on the 29th. So you can port your number on the 21st, so you won't have to pay any cancellation/tab fee to Telus.

kaiyo

I mean, for Public, aren't you paying what ever the current rate is at the time your 90 days are up? Like sign up now you get this deal, but do you get the same rate when you added another 90 days when the first 90 is up?

Yeah they're full of shit. It will work fine.

You get the same rate as long as your subscribed, renew/pay the plan.

Lexxism

No. Yes. Whatever the plan cost when you first signed up, it will stay the same unless you change the plan. If by any chance Public Mobile changed their plan (which will definitely happen), your plan is unaffected. You are locked to that plan. They already did this with their $90 plan (1GB for 90 days) which is not available now. Only the grandfathered guys are enjoying that plan. Same thing will happen to the 12GB plan they are advertising. I can't blame people if they are having doubt but given their track record. They did honour past deals and grandfathered those.

farisr

I just sold my PS4 + 5 games (Assassin's Creed Unity, Wolfenstein - The Old Blood, Lords of the Fallen, Until Dawn, Thief) for $350 a day after I posted on Kijiji. Got many offers too.

I don't think most people know that the Pro is coming out in the next few days.
On the other hand, I sold my PS4 for $300 with just vanilla Destiny, got a buyer within a couple of hours. She knew exactly what was up, didn't want the Pro, and doesn't like the Slim aesthetically.

I honestly think looks have a lot to do with it. General sentiment is, the OG looks better, and feels like a more premium console. The slim may be smaller, but it's not THAT much smaller to be a driving factor behind its sales. And due to that reason and the stock for the OG being depleted, the resale value for these models hasn't gone down by much as opposed to say, the OG Xbox One after the XB1S was out, as the XB1S was basically an improvement in most ways imaginable.

etta

my hard graphic balls
A locked Telus phone works on Public Mobile.

Since you're Telus contact doesn't end until the 21st which is 1 day after the promo ends. You can sign up with Public mobile 30 day plan, get the cheapest one, test it out or not, you can then go on PM website and switch your plan to the promo plan any time before Nov 20th, and future date the switch to when the 30 days plan ends.

For example, you start a 30 day plan today, the 30 day plan would end on the Nov. 29th. When you future date the plan switch, the promo plan would start on the 29th. So you can port your number on the 21st, so you won't have to pay any cancellation/tab fee to Telus.

Oh I see what you're saying, to create a cheap plan with PM that starts now, concurrent with my Telus plan, so I don't have to end the Telus contract prematurely. Then before Nov. 20 I have to purchase the promo $120/3 mo plan and they will allow me to enter a date for when it should start since I already have a 30 day plan with them.
So I guess I can go with the cheapest 30 day plan which is $10 for no minutes, no text, and no data? Also, don't I need a number to use for the 30 day plan now?

kaiyo

Oh I see what you're saying, to create a cheap plan with PM that starts now, concurrent with my Telus plan, so I don't have to end the Telus contract prematurely. Then before Nov. 20 I have to purchase the promo $120/3 mo plan and they will allow me to enter a date for when it should start since I already have a 30 day plan with them.
So I guess I can go with the cheapest 30 day plan which is $10 for no minutes, no text, and no data? Also, don't I need a number to use for the 30 day plan now?

Exactly. You can get a new number when activating an account on PM. I sent you a pm for more details.

$260 - 310

Why would anyone want PS3 games that wont work on PS4?

No, I meant I could sell my PS3 games too.

I mistakenly thought PS4 Pro was $400 + tax. Turns out it's $500 + tax. Argh.

Can I get some advice on PS3s?

I have a ton of PS3 games and a PS3 Super Slim, great condition and a new Dualshock 3 that was used for under an hour at best. What's the best asking price?

Maybe I can make the PS4 Pro purchase after all..

Rbk_3

No. Yes. Whatever the plan cost when you first signed up, it will stay the same unless you change the plan. If by any chance Public Mobile changed their plan (which will definitely happen), your plan is unaffected. You are locked to that plan. They already did this with their $90 plan (1GB for 90 days) which is not available now. Only the grandfathered guys are enjoying that plan. Same thing will happen to the 12GB plan they are advertising. I can't blame people if they are having doubt but given their track record. They did honour past deals and grandfathered those.

This is tempting. I guess it comes down to what I think is more likely, Koodo kicking people off the Manitoba plan, or Public increasing the grandfathered plans.

kaiyo

No, I meant I could sell my PS3 games too.

I mistakenly thought PS4 Pro was $400 + tax. Turns out it's $500 + tax. Argh.

Can I get some advice on PS3s?

I have a ton of PS3 games and a PS3 Super Slim, great condition and a new Dualshock 3 that was used for under an hour at best. What's the best asking price?

Maybe I can make the PS4 Pro purchase after all..

Lol thought you meant tossing in as bundling it with the PS4.

Maybe get ~$160-200 with the PS3 and games (depending how many/good games)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
What plan/price do you have with Fido?

$55

2GB data
2 Year Spotify (Will expire on June 2017 :( )
Canada Wide Unlimited calling
International Text
Mini Voice Mail
International Calling to specified countries (India, China etc.)

Going to PM I will be saving $15 but I will lose Spotify, Canada Wide calling and International calling. Which I rarely use to call India because at home I have Vonage.

My only concern is the network. I can't deal with shit like Mobilicity and Wind. So how good is PM network in Toronto

hazukash

I went to Toys'R'Us in Boisbriand and I was one of the first people in line, about 30 minutes before the store opened. The line was surprisingly long for a small Pokémon giveaway in a suburb. There were many kids who were playing on their phones, but no 3DSes around (and no Streetpasses). Will twentysomethings be the only ones buying SuMo? :(

Rbk_3

$55

2GB data
International Text
Mini Voice Mail

Going to PM I will be saving $15 but I will lose Spotify, Canada Wide calling and International calling. Which I rarely use to call India because at home I have Vonage.

My only concern is the network. I can't deal with shit like Mobilicity and Wind. So how good is PM network in Toronto

It's the Telus network. Even if there is some throttling going on, it will be a million times better than Wind and Mobilicity.

Lexxism

This is tempting. I guess it comes down to what I think is more likely, Koodo kicking people off the Manitoba plan, or Public increasing the grandfathered plans.
It's 10 cheaper than the $48 you are currently paying but you will lose the Canada Wide and 1GB extra data. Public Mobile grandfathered plans will definitely increase. This will be their second one this year alone.

They are using Bell/Telus network. I got 30 up and 10 down in midtown Toronto. It's not even comparable to Mobilicity or Wind or Chatr.
Public_Mobile.jpg

kaiyo

$55

2GB data
International Text
Mini Voice Mail

Telus quality pretty much.

Public Mobile has add-ons, Canada/US wide $8 for 200 mins, International (including Canada/US) for $15 400 mins.

The minutes don't expire until you used it all up. Say you add the $8 add-on, and you only use 10 mins a month, the $8 addon would last you 20 months.

it's really up to you if it's worth it.

Shows 4G because i have international phone

4G = LTE in ROTW

superbad

For anyone still concerned about the NES Mini, I recently got hired as a Nintendo Rep and November 11th is being deemed as this year's "Nintendo Day". So assuming that they're making an event out of it, there should be enough to go around.

How did you go about applying for this? Are you an actual Nintendo employee, or do you work for a marketing company?

kaiyo

Oh man, that PM deal is great. I don't think my Telus plan expires until next year though :(

Go check when the exact date it expires. You can prolong this promo, and it also might be worth it to pay off the Telus tab if it's only a few months

kennah

LOLOLOL there's like 200 people in line for toys r us right now

good gravy

guess I didn't need that shit after all

There was 30 in line by the time the Toys R Us I went to with my niblings opened. We all got the cards and books and figurines. Pretty sweet. My niece lost her card, so I gave her mine, and my 4 year old got my Meowth and my 2 year old got the book.. So, I walked away empty handed :)

However, the EB Games across the way in the mall had the Volcanion cards, so got those for our Pokemon X and Y

kaiyo

hollyshit,

thank you guys.

getting the $120 plan now.

Oh if you need the add-on you should add it when you activate the plan, as you don't get charge tax the first payment.

$8 - 200 min Canada/US
$15 - 400 min International (including Canada/US)

Better to get $15, for double the mins and can be used for international, for a $1 less.

Mayyhem

Ugh, I want to get in on this PM plan.
Paying $80 a month at bell right now with an iphone 6 on contract ans 3gb of data
My contract ends End of January 2017 though... :(

What should I do? qq

Rbk_3

Paying $80 a month at bell right now with an iphone 6 on contract ans 3gb of data

What should I do? qq

Pay off your device balance. It shouldn't be that much with only 2-3 months left. Under $100 for sure. You will save that in a few months on this PM plan.

My buddy just paid off his device balance of like $250 that ended in Sep 2017 to get on the Koodo Manitoba Plan and even he will be saving money before his contract is up.

kaiyo

What should I do? qq

You can sign up for Public Mobile with 90 plan with no features cost $25. Then you future date the promo plan to the end of the 90 days. That should bring you to around Jan. pm-ed you with more details.

zroid

Banned
There was 30 in line by the time the Toys R Us I went to with my niblings opened. We all got the cards and books and figurines. Pretty sweet. My niece lost her card, so I gave her mine, and my 4 year old got my Meowth and my 2 year old got the book.. So, I walked away empty handed :)

However, the EB Games across the way in the mall had the Volcanion cards, so got those for our Pokemon X and Y

that's cool. I should have known better than to show up *on time* for a Pokémon thing. Welp!

though I wouldn't have wanted to wait for like an hour+ anyway so ah well

kaiyo

I have the FFXV Ultiamte Collector's Edition preordered on SE website, If anyone wants it (i will transfer the account to you), shoot me a PM. They are starting to charge CC tomorrow.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pay off your device balance. It shouldn't be that much with only 2-3 months left. Under $100 for sure. You will save that in a few months on this PM plan.

My buddy just paid off his device balance of like $250 that ended in Sep 2017 to get on the Koodo Manitoba Plan and even he will be saving money before his contract is up.
How does porting work? Do you need to cancel your service with your current carrier and then wait until your service is terminated to port? Or does porting automatically void your previous service?

Firestorm

How does porting work? Do you need to cancel your service with your current carrier and then wait until your service is terminated to port? Or does porting automatically void your previous service?
Do NOT cancel or you can't port. When you port it will cancel your previous service automatically.

diaspora

I know the telecom situation here isn't great, but IMO it's much better now than it was during the 3 year fixed contract with crazy-ass penalties days.

How did you go about applying for this? Are you an actual Nintendo employee, or do you work for a marketing company?

Nintendo put out an open request looking for employees for the holiday season:

http://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/whatsnew/detail/be-a-retail-ambassador-for-nintendo-of-canada

Basically you work directly for Nintendo in one region, travelling to different stores and monitoring inventory, running events and general promotion.

This thread is a pretty good read if you want some more info:

Has anyone ever worked for Nintendo as a Retail Ambassador?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do NOT cancel or you can't port. When you port it will cancel your previous service automatically.
Ah, it's funny that it's easy to move cell service around but not cable or dsl internet, which is like pulling teeth by juggling uninstall dates and shit.

So what happens to the Koodo account then? You have both your new Koodo Manitoba number and your own ported number on the same line?

Rbk_3

Ah, it's funny that it's easy to move cell service around but not cable or dsl internet, which is like pulling teeth by juggling uninstall dates and shit.

So what happens to the Koodo account then? You have both your new Koodo Manitoba number and your own ported number on the same line?

No, your own ported number will replace the Manitoba number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom