• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiijj

I don't really see this logic. Canadians understand why it's happening. We still buy iPhones, iPads, and other goods that the dollar fucks us on. It may sway some sales, but whoever is dead set on getting VR will get one.

Yep, whoever is dead set on getting something will get one (eventually).

But the logic of that (the previous poster) is that people might not be able to justify or willing to pay the top dollar. I guess what I was saying is that the high price might deter or decrease people who might be dead set on getting one.

That's part 2 of my confusion. There's basically nothing to play, it's all tech demos and promises...

Well there's the novelty of it. The latest and greatest will definitely attract a lot of people to pick it up.

I mean, we're paying like 25$ (5%) more than our conversion rate. For a 549$ item, that should not stop anyone that wants it to go: "Wow, I'm paying an extra 25$ than if I were to buy it in the US, I will not buy it such that they fix that conversion rate scam!".

The PSVR at 400$USD I think is well priced, if you compare it to Vive and Occulus which are what, twice the price and require a >1000$ PC to function well?

hookurs

If you don't live next to the US border, there really is no way of bypassing a 700 dollar PSVR dildo shaped price tag slowly inserted into my sorry Canadian ass is there?

hookurs

Has anyone tried shipping larger packages such as a PSVR box to a friend in the US and had them ship it your way? There's really no savings is there?

sh1fty

I don't really see this logic. Canadians understand why it's happening. We still buy iPhones, iPads, and other goods that the dollar fucks us on. It may sway some sales, but whoever is dead set on getting VR will get one.

We take it on goods like iPhones because they are necessities. VR is the furthest thing from that. Sure there will be certain people jumping on board no matter what, but for it to really 'catch on' in a main stream sense up here it had to be affordable.

When the cost of games rose from $59.99 to $79.99... my salary stayed the same.

I mean, we're paying like 25$ (5%) more than our conversion rate. For a 549$ item, that should not stop anyone that wants it to go: "Wow, I'm paying an extra 25$ than if I were to buy it in the US, I will not buy it such that they fix that conversion rate scam!".

The PSVR at 400$USD I think is well priced, if you compare it to Vive and Occulus which are what, twice the price and require a >1000$ PC to function well?

PSVR base @ $549 + 13% tax (Ontario) = $620
Oculus Rift @ $849 + shipping (no tax?) = $914

Assuming a $420 PS4 and a $1000 PC, you're looking at twice the price for a Rift IF you add in the costs of the gaming hardware to both, and 1.5x otherwise. Except that we're not counting the price of a camera, so add another $50 to the PSVR total. Doesn't make a huge difference either way. I'm not counting Move controllers since they're not strictly required.

PSVR bundle @ $699 + 13% tax = $789

Assuming you already own a PS4 (but no camera) and your PC is up to spec, the comparison looks a lot worse. There's only $125 or so between a PSVR bundle and a Rift.

There's a lot of ways to chop up and recombine the numbers, so I'll stop there. But if we're just talking the VR hardware, without taking into account the cost of the added equipment, the Rift isn't twice the price. The VIVE, on the other hand... yikes.

Vive @ $1149 + shipping + tax = ~$1350 (I think the way HTC calculates tax might be weird so this is an estimate)

kevin1025

Banned
Does the taken king ever dip below $50 I have a hankering to jump back in but don't necessarily want to drop 50 on it if I don't have to

We might be getting an Easter sale soon (either on Tuesday or next weekend in a flash sale) on PSN, so maybe wait a little bit. It was $49 back around or on Black Friday, so it should be that price again when it is on sale.

killroy87

PSVR base @ $549 + 13% tax (Ontario) = $620
Oculus Rift @ $849 + shipping (no tax?) = $914

Assuming a $420 PS4 and a $1000 PC, you're looking at twice the price for a Rift IF you add in the costs of the gaming hardware to both, and 1.5x otherwise. Except that we're not counting the price of a camera, so add another $50 to the PSVR total. Doesn't make a huge difference either way. I'm not counting Move controllers since they're not strictly required.

PSVR bundle @ $699 + 13% tax = $789

Assuming you already own a PS4 (but no camera) and your PC is up to spec, the comparison looks a lot worse. There's only $125 or so between a PSVR bundle and a Rift.

There's a lot of ways to chop up and recombine the numbers, so I'll stop there. But if we're just talking the VR hardware, without taking into account the cost of the added equipment, the Rift isn't twice the price. The VIVE, on the other hand... yikes.

Vive @ $1149 + shipping + tax = ~$1350 (I think the way HTC calculates tax might be weird so this is an estimate)

I know you said you don't want to chop up numbers further, which is fair, but that $125 difference isn't fair as you're talking about a 100% complete PSVR experience (meaning everything you'll ever need), and an incomplete Rift one (meaning no motion controllers, which haven't been released yet). When those motion controllers are released, expect to pay another $150 for them, easy.

Lexxism

I asked this earlier and I don't think I got an answer - Can you enter multiple gift cards in on an Amazon preorder?
What you can do is redeem the gift card on your amazon account and you will see an option on your pre-order where you can apply the gift card on it.

What you can do is redeem the gift card on your amazon account and you will see an option on your pre-order where you can apply the gift card on it.

So you redeem the giftcard on your account and then you basically have a credit balance to use at your discretion?

I know you said you don't want to chop up numbers further, which is fair, but that $125 difference isn't fair as you're talking about a 100% complete PSVR experience (meaning everything you'll ever need), and an incomplete Rift one (meaning no motion controllers, which haven't been released yet). When those motion controllers are released, expect to pay another $150 for them, easy.

That's true, a closer comparison would be a PSVR + camera bundle (which doesn't exist) since you do need the camera at least for a basic experience equivalent to the Rift. Buying them separately gets you $676 after tax, so the gap is $240.

Lexxism

So you redeem the giftcard on your account and then you basically have a credit balance to use at your discretion?
Yeah. That's what showing on my account when I purchased and redeemed the $50 gift card last week.
gqxqZfr.png

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to apply the amazon gift cards / 10$ bonus to existing preorders?

Shoeless

That's part 2 of my confusion. There's basically nothing to play, it's all tech demos and promises...

Well, if earlier release promises haven't changed, the biggest motivation for me to try and day one PS VR is EVE: Valkyrie. It's the closest thing we have to Colony Wars until Sony finally gets around to making Colony Wars for PS VR and the early trailers look very promising.

Banned
My birthday is Monday and my mum gave me 100$ to Amazon. Any recommendations between these games?

Witcher 3
The Witness (Wanting to wait for retail for this one...)
Until Dawn
Axiom Verge (Kind of hoping it will be a PS+ game)
Journey
Captain Toad
Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls
Witcher 3 (combat sucks, greatly designed game with a terrible UI and way too much shit to do. Too dense for its own good)

The Witness (likely never coming to retail, can get really hard but a great puzzle game)

Axiom Verge (Metroid clone)

Journey (fun to play once, don't get the big deal about it)

Captain Toad (I liked this more than I anticipated I wOuld. Fun and charming.)

Until Dawn (really good interactive drama that outclassed Beyond and Heavy Rain imo)

Heavy Rain/Beyond (if you never played them, go for it. Not worth rebuying though)

espher

Brief vent time. Best Buy's price match policy is kind of dumb for products only available online.

There's a printer I want - Staples has it for $150, no stock, and Canon (the manufacturer) also has it for $150, in stock. To get a price match/beat for a product through BB online, I you have to order it online and request it after the fact (you can do it in-store for in-store stuff - and maybe online too, I didn't actually try). They get back to you in four hours if you go the online route.

So I put the order in, immediately send the price match/price beat request. Get an answer about 45m ago (~5h after the initial request) saying it's an OEM price so they can't/won't match it (my bad for not reading the T&Cs), but apparently they can't cancel the order, so now I have to wait for it to ship to me and then either drag it to the post office and return it or haul it up to the store and get a refund.

Not the end of the world - not like they were taking money out of my bank account, and I just bought the damn thing through Canon instead - but kind of dumb that they don't approve/reject before the sale.

Sora_N

Brief vent time. Best Buy's price match policy is kind of dumb for products only available online.

There's a printer I want - Staples has it for $150, no stock, and Canon (the manufacturer) also has it for $150, in stock. To get a price match/beat for a product through BB online, I you have to order it online and request it after the fact (you can do it in-store for in-store stuff - and maybe online too, I didn't actually try). They get back to you in four hours if you go the online route.

So I put the order in, immediately send the price match/price beat request. Get an answer about 45m ago (~5h after the initial request) saying it's an OEM price so they can't/won't match it (my bad for not reading the T&Cs), but apparently they can't cancel the order, so now I have to wait for it to ship to me and then either drag it to the post office and return it or haul it up to the store and get a refund.

Not the end of the world - not like they were taking money out of my bank account, and I just bought the damn thing through Canon instead - but kind of dumb that they don't approve/reject before the sale.

That's why I PM those physical items in store. I don't want to have to do that.

jholmes

So right now the all-in price for the "affordable" VR option, assuming you need to buy a console to play it on, is over $1100, before tax. Comes with one VR game.

I don't understand the optimism some people have for VR, I just don't.

espher

That's why I PM those physical items in store. I don't want to have to do that.

Can you do that for stuff that isn't available in-store? That could be useful in the future but I kind of assumed they would only be able to PM things that were in-stock in-store.

BadWolf

So right now the all-in price for the "affordable" VR option, assuming you need to buy a console to play it on, is over $1100, before tax. Comes with one VR game.

Sony's primary focus is people who already own a PS4.

There's over 35 million of them out there.

I don't understand the optimism some people have for VR, I just don't.

Prices will eventually come down on VR tech and even at a high price there is obviously demand for it. People are excited for new technology and new experiences in gaming.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
There are still enough idiots with more money than sense that will pay the Canadian price for PSVR. It will instantly sell out

Idiots? Sorry if you're poor.

farisr

Idiots? Sorry if you're poor.
nah, it's idiotic to buy the thing at this price if you're not interested in anything at launch or near launch.

It isn't idiotic if you are interested in a bunch of things though (and if that dude's calling people who are legit interested in things coming out for this around launch, I do not agree with him).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom