• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faenix1

Staples has a $75 off computers coupon valid on saturday only. I was wondering if it's a good deal:

http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-ENVY-De...-i5-6400-8GB-RAM/product_2071430_2-CA_1_20001

Intel i5-6400
8GB RAM
1 TB HDD
GTX-745
Windows 10

850 $ - 150 $ (sale) - 75 $ (coupon) = 625$

Looks pretty good to me but I'm far from an expert. I know the graphic card ain't that great but I only play old GOG games on my PC so it doesn't really matter.

What $75 coupon? Mother bought a PC from there earlier today. Don't recall anything about a $75 coupon.

You're going to roll your eyes when you read this, but:

Anyone know if the copper and blue faded Xbox One controllers are out in Canada? I know an American friend bought one, but I haven't seen any listed as available online.

Tapejara

You're going to roll your eyes when you read this, but:

Anyone know if the copper and blue faded Xbox One controllers are out in Canada? I know an American friend bought one, but I haven't seen any listed as available online.

Amazon and EB have them listed for April 12th.

Are you thinking of getting both? I'm trying to decide which one I want, but the design on both is kind of underwhelming for me. I might just grab the lunar white...

Amazon and EB have them listed for April 12th.

Are you thinking of getting both? I'm trying to decide which one I want, but the design on both is kind of underwhelming for me. I might just grab the lunar white...

I would like to get them both. I'm also tempted to get another Elite. But I don't need any of this shit, and it's not like I make a lot of money. I'm on disability, and have meager savings otherwise.

But this is all I spend on as a vice. I don't drink much at all (can't even remember when I last got drunk), don't smoke, hardly go out, etc. I just buy these controllers I don't need because they make me feel better, but they end up sitting in a drawer.

I'll probably just get the blue one given the price. I'm trying to tell myself not to, though, because there are no grips. These controllers feel cheap without grips.

I currently have a regular black one I've only tested and wanted to sell, the Forza 6 one that I use regularly, two Lunar Whites (one unopened) and an Elite.

Tapejara

I would like to get them both. I'm also tempted to get another Elite. But I don't need any of this shit, and it's not like I make a lot of money. I'm on disability, and have meager savings otherwise.

But this is all I spend on as a vice. I don't drink much at all (can't even remember when I last got drunk), don't smoke, hardly go out, etc. I just buy these controllers I don't need because they make me feel better, but they end up sitting in a drawer.

I'll probably just get the blue one given the price.

Haha, yeah I can relate. I'm on disability as well and the few video game purchases I can afford are because they make me happy.

Haha, yeah I can relate. I'm on disability as well and the few video game purchases I can afford are because they make me happy.

Glad we can relate

I work online, but what I do only pays about $300 a month.

I'm not able to keep a 9-5 schedule, or anything regular, because of sleeping issues, and bad fatigue from crippling depression and OCD.

big_z

has anyone tried to redeem their best buy Quantum Break preorder bonus code for alan wake American nightmare? it gives me error code Xbos-0x80153048

I should be getting my Oculus Rift in a couple of weeks and I know I am going to have to pay around $110 in customs and brokerage fees.

I might not be home for this but I have someone else home to pay for me. From those with experience, I guess there is no way I can just leave cash? I imagine the UPS driver wouldn't be able to accept that.

Is there any way to pay fees ahead of time?

I believe it is only credit. You might be able to leave your credit card to the person if you are comfortable with that as they only take down the number IIRC (I might be wrong). Give them a call you might be able to set up an account or something to have the fees paid before delivery?

lupinko

Any deals on PSN vouchers or discount codes? I want to get the SFV season pass cheaper after buying SFV off amazon.com for $15 USD shipping included.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Despite the slowly climbing CAD it looks like Nintendo has hiked the price of the Badge Arcade ($1.50, bwahaha. $1.00 in the States) and themes. I noticed BA a few days ago. Apparently Fates DLC went up as well?

trebbble

Despite the slowly climbing CAD it looks like Nintendo has hiked the price of the Badge Arcade ($1.50, bwahaha. $1.00 in the States) and themes. I noticed BA a few days ago. Apparently Fates DLC went up as well?

That sucks. I noticed their pricing creeping up and that their exchange was higher than necessary... Even the My Nintendo missions were increased by 1.4. Going back and raising prices on already released digital stuff is really shitty, especially with the exchange going the other way.

In sure it won't go back down as quickly as it came up :(

Luigi87

Good eye. Yeah seems April 1st a lot of prices went up at various retails (such as the BB I work at). I hope this doesn't repeat May 1st...

Seems things that went up on the eShop are the lower cost items.
IE: Smash Bros. Corrin DLC (Wii U + 3DS) went up $1
Smash Bros. Bayonetta DLC (Wii U + 3DS + Stage) went up $1.10

Edit: To clarify Nintendo is pricing quite a bit above the exchange rate in Canada.
IE: XE.com lists $5.99 USD as $7.79 CAD. For better comparison though TD Canada Trust Bank today has the exchange of $5.99 USD as $8.00 CAD, so that's still a 49 cent increase. I mean I know they're trying to buffer the price due to the dollar being in flux, but yeesh.
On top of that, unlike paying on PSN or Steam, with the eShop we have those lovable taxes (13% for me!) just makes it even higher.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Good eye. Yeah seems April 1st a lot of prices went up at various retails (such as the BB I work at). I hope this doesn't repeat May 1st...

Edit: To clarify Nintendo is pricing quite a bit above the exchange rate in Canada.
IE: XE.com lists $5.99 USD as $7.79 CAD. For better comparison though TD Canada Trust Bank today has the exchange of $5.99 USD as $8.00 CAD, so that's still a 49 cent increase. I mean I know they're trying to buffer the price due to the dollar being in flux, but yeesh.
On top of that, unlike paying on PSN or Steam, with the eShop we have those lovable taxes (13% for me!) just makes it even higher.

Exactly. It's not that these are slightly above exchange rate, they're drastically above.

I could make understand physical items, where there's more cost at play to sell stuff at retail and covering themselves, but this is digital. It should just be the exact exchange rate. We'd be better off paying USD at this point and by a significant margin.

WEGGLES

I think there's a discount if you have previous games in the series in your library. Game was listed at $61 for me because I already owned DS 1 and 2 on Steam.

I don't own any on steam, actually. I have DS1 on PS3.

Just a pleasant surprise I guess. A new game that isn't $79.99

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guess I'm glad I bought the bundle for that DLC.

Luigi87

My best guess is the Fates DLC probably won't change price until all the map packs are out. Due to the fact that Map Pack #1 is essentially a season pass, to change it during the release schedule could likely lead to backlash of some variety.

Arzehn

Looking for some advice from some game importers.

If you buy a USED old game on ebay.ca that's from US (or Australia in this case). If it's not part of that "Global Shipping Program" what do you end up paying at the end of the day besides the shipping fee? Will I pay brokerage, GST/PST, and import fees?

Let's say it's a used game valued at $140cad.

Looking for some advice from some game importers.

If you buy a USED old game on ebay.ca that's from US (or Australia in this case). If it's not part of that "Global Shipping Program" what do you end up paying at the end of the day besides the shipping fee? Will I pay brokerage, GST/PST, and import fees?

Let's say it's a used game valued at $140cad.

I'm not a game importer per se but I think that depends on what the sender is shipping your game through? Like if they decided to ship it through UPS/Fedex, you're definitely paying brokerage fees. But if it's through USPS, you maaaay be hit by import fees/taxes if Customs randomly picks your package but I think that's pretty rare...

Arzehn

I'm not a game importer per se but I think that depends on what the sender is shipping your game through? Like if they decided to ship it through UPS/Fedex, you're definitely paying brokerage fees. But if it's through USPS, you maaaay be hit by import fees/taxes if Customs randomly picks your package but I think that's pretty rare...

Ah thanks, this one says "Standard International Flat Rate Postage".

To add to the above comment, at 140$ if they use their national post service which will end up with Canada Post here, you are very unlikely to get charged any taxes/custom fees, but you might end up paying about 20-30$ if you get charged. If they ship via a special carrier (UPS, Fedex, DHL), you are way more likely to be hit with custom fees as well as extra processing fees (30-40$).

jholmes

I keep meaning to buy the new Smash DLC and Nintendo keeps giving me reasons not to. Way to go, guys!

Vinc

Does anyone have a Quantum Break E3 2014 order with Best Buy? Mine was charged last week but hasn't shipped yet, and I can't access the order on the site. I'm also wondering if we'll get the preorder bonuses (steelbook + Alan Wake American Nightmare...)

khaaan

Does anyone have a Quantum Break E3 2014 order with Best Buy? Mine was charged last week but hasn't shipped yet, and I can't access the order on the site. I'm also wondering if we'll get the preorder bonuses (steelbook + Alan Wake American Nightmare...)

Based on past experience, you should get the pre-order bonuses unless there are two editions of the game and you ordered the one that doesn't come with anything. No guarantees though and would probably be better to confirm with Best Buy.

Strange that you can't access your order though...well, I guess not that strange considering how stable their site seems to be...but if clearing the cache doesn't fix it the only thing I can think of is finding the order # and giving them a call.

Vinc

Based on past experience, you should get the pre-order bonuses unless there are two editions of the game and you ordered the one that doesn't come with anything. No guarantees though and would probably be better to confirm with Best Buy.

Strange that you can't access your order though...well, I guess not that strange considering how stable their site seems to be...but if clearing the cache doesn't fix it the only thing I can think of is finding the order # and giving them a call.

Thanks, the order actually works now, I guess the website was just having issues.

I was asking because right now if you preorder the game, it adds a steelbook to your cart automatically, which it didn't at the time I pre-ordered it... I also never got my early access code for Battlefront maps when I pre-ordered that well in advance of the bonus being announced. Hopefully I don't have to contact support to get my dues! :p

ElNino

I got my American Nightmare code already, but I didn`t know about the Steelbook. I guess I`ll find out when it ships (tomorrow hopefully).

etta

my hard graphic balls
My Amazon Quantum Break (plus an external HDD) has been saying "preparing for shipment" since this morning (8 hours ago) grrrrrrrrr.
Hopefully they still actually ship them out today, and not tomorrow.

My Amazon Quantum Break (plus an external HDD) has been saying "preparing for shipment" since this morning (8 hours ago) grrrrrrrrr.
Hopefully they still actually ship them out today, and not tomorrow.

When does your stuff from Amazon usually ship out? Mine is always at 5-7 pm the day it changes to preparing for shipment/shipping today.

etta

my hard graphic balls
When does your stuff from Amazon usually ship out? Mine is always at 5-7 pm the day it changes to preparing for shipment/shipping today.
I don't think there has been any pattern, sometimes things would ship out in the morning around 9, sometimes at noon and other times in the afternoon. The Amazon rep said it will ship out today, so I am just praying it will happen now, because it means I get it tomorrow (all my previous stuff shipped out from the Amazon warehouse near me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom