• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

That's cool, what field are you in?

The standard tourist stuff always delivers, especially as we are heading into awesome weather. Granville Island, Stanley Park, walk the seawall (or rent a bike), etc.

Theatre technical. In town for a dance show. You can probably guess which one since I'm from Winnipeg :p

Cool, I'll check out the Seawall and the noodle place.

FrsDvl

I just don't seem to have any luck getting rid of Quantum Break, anyone here want it? $40 + shipping, unless you're in Edmonton then you can pick it up. Alan Wake code hasn't been used.

terrible

Banned
Did the same thing for my E3 order with Dark Souls 3 and a whole bunch of games.

It doesn't show up on the order (but says pending in the gift certificate list). Contacted chat support, and they seemed to say it's all ok. Hope I didn't lose this.

I'd expect this kind of thing from Best Buy but not Amazon.

Vinc

So Quantum Break from Best Buy says it's delivered on Canada Post's site, but I didn't get anything :/

Seems to happen a lot with Best Buy, now they're gonna ask me to wait 2 weeks before I contact them again and they can send another copy. Ugh.

Kyolux

I'd expect this kind of thing from Best Buy but not Amazon.

I'll see next week I guess.

Still says arriving Tuesday for me. But I have prime.

The part of the gift card that I used for the DS3 Collector's Edition guide (I've been collecting these since DS1) applied correctly though, but that was an order on its own.

I hate playing the Amazon game with different customer service reps.

I had an order which was upgraded to two-day shipping months ago by a service rep. I cancelled one of the items and it went back to standard. Now I want to put it back to two-day and they say they can't. I told them we should just create a new order with two-day, then just apply the discounts and apparently they are not authorized to do that.

Will try with someone tonight.

Kyolux

I had an order which was upgraded to two-day shipping months ago by a service rep. I cancelled one of the items and it went back to standard. Now I want to put it back to two-day and they say they can't. I told them we should just create a new order with two-day, then just apply the discounts and apparently they are not authorized to do that.

Yeah, they don't always seem to be able to comprehend simple tasks sometimes.

I asked if they could just cancel the gift card amount on that order and they just didn't let me know if that was possible or not. I just conceded to wait and see for now.

I think some "lower level" rep can't actually modify prices without asking for authorization. Maybe new employees?

Takuan

Some guy is getting mad at me because I offered to meet him part-way tomorrow when he comes to buy a game off of me. Isn't that being helpful?

He emailed me, and asked when he could pick it up. I replied, "Anytime." His reply was, "How about 8:30pm tomorrow?" to which I said sure, but that I would prefer before that even if I have to meet him (or drop it off).

He said no, just 8:30 tomorrow works, and asked where I live. I told him the area, then said that I could meet him then because I have to go out. Then he got mad, saying I'm making it difficult.

Something about him just made me worry about giving my address out right away.

EDIT: His latest reply is, "8:30pm. Address?"

I bail the moment I get the feeling the buyer will be difficult and I make it clear they come to me every time. Unless you're really desperate to sell, there's no reason you need to bend over backwards for anyone.

killroy87

I bail the moment I get the feeling the buyer will be difficult and I make it clear they come to me every time. Unless you're really desperate to sell, there's no reason you need to bend over backwards for anyone.

Yup. They're the one that wants whatever cheap shit I'm selling. I'm always clear about what area I'm in (and can meet somewhere public within that area), but if they ask me to meet them halfway between me and them that's a pain to get to, that's a nope.

Ventara

I usually just give the address of the cornerstore near me and tell them to meet there. The safety of not revealing your address plus the comfort of not having to spend time to meet wherever they want.

Past

Amazon probably put some restrictions on what the CS can do now due to some members of GAF abusing the system. Some people here were having CS apply the pre-order discount multiple times on their orders.

Going through best buy clearance I picked up killzone mercenary for vita and Godzilla for ps4. I can finally play a game with this PlayStation TV I picked up a while ago on clearance.

Godzilla only had a few copies left last time I checked so if anyone was on the fence it wasn't too bad a price at 14.99.

Firestorm

My cousins live in Winnipeg and always have a fun time in Vancouver. Whereabouts are you staying? We could probably give you some food recommendations in your area. Seawall is definitely a nice walk on a nice day (tomorrow would be good).

Most of the time when I think of things to recommend I think of food >.>

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Does Vancouver have good sushi? What's the best ayce sushi there?

kennah

My cousins live in Winnipeg and always have a fun time in Vancouver. Whereabouts are you staying? We could probably give you some food recommendations in your area. Seawall is definitely a nice walk on a nice day (tomorrow would be good).

Most of the time when I think of things to recommend I think of food >.>

I'm right downtown. Near the Queen Elizabeth theatre. Tomorrow I will be in said theatre from 8am to 11pm, but hopefully Friday is nice. :p Food recommendations very welcome, since I'm about to leave to find some right now lol

MoFuzz

Anyone know where to get used PC parts in and around Vancouver area?

Am wanting a 3000 or later series i5 / i7 setup. No luck with Craigslist thus far...

Am not willing to pay $1,500 after taxes for an overclockable current generation set up.

kennah

Anyone know where to get used PC parts in and around Vancouver area?

Am wanting a 3000 or later series i5 / i7 setup. No luck with Craigslist thus far...

Am not willing to pay $1,500 after taxes for an overclockable current generation set up.

I did a search before coming in in case I found anything good I wanted to take back with me.

it's just the same ads over and over and over again it seems here. With not really any good deals at all.

Haven't been to the Davie location, but if Samurai is like the one at Oakridge, then it's basically quantity over quality. It's pretty mediocre; you just get a ton.

My recommendations:

Sushi Mura (Oak and 49th)
Sushi California (Broadway and Cambie)
Asakusa Sushi (Kingsway and Sussex, Metrotown)
Sushi Itoga (Robson and Bidwell, West End)
Sushi Aria (25th and Cambie)
Suika (Broadway and Granville)
Toshi Sushi (Main and 16th, I've never been but it's always packed when I pass by)
Miku and Minami (downtown, not cheap but worth the money)

I can't really recommend any AYCE places: you get what you pay for (mediocre sushi for $20-30). Shabusen on Burrard is okay. Sui Sha Ya used to be at Metrotown but they closed (maybe it's a different name now). Kingsway Sushi at Boundary is good too. Kyo on Granville used to be a Shabusen.

bighotdog

Neo Member
Haven't been to the Davie location, but if Samurai is like the one at Oakridge, then it's basically quantity over quality. It's pretty mediocre; you just get a ton.

My recommendations:

Sushi Mura (Oak and 49th)
Sushi California (Broadway and Cambie)
Asakusa Sushi (Kingsway and Sussex, Metrotown)
Sushi Itoga (Robson and Bidwell, West End)
Sushi Aria (25th and Cambie)
Suika (Broadway and Granville)
Toshi Sushi (Main and 16th, I've never been but it's always packed when I pass by)
Miku and Minami (downtown, not cheap but worth the money)

I can't really recommend any AYCE places: you get what you pay for (mediocre sushi for $20-30). Shabusen on Burrard is okay. Sui Sha Ya used to be at Metrotown but they closed (maybe it's a different name now). Kingsway Sushi at Boundary is good too. Kyo on Granville used to be a Shabusen.

You forgot Richmond Sushi

Just met that guy off Kijiji at 8:30. He drove a decent distance to meet.

I told him I was at the corner because it was crazy by my house (the church was hosting a dinner I didn't know about). He drove by, texted "Is it the church? Lol" then came down to the corner which is very close to the church.

He was nice and apologized for being rude last night. I said I was hesitant to give him my address and he understood. He thought I was going to be like others on Kijiji who dick people around.

Tonight, some kid messaged me about my 3DS and tried to get me to trade it for a 2013 HTC phone with a cracked screen. I told him not in a million years and he got upset over that. But I told him I don't take kindly to people trying to screw me over. Got a reply: "Yeah. Ok."Valid point""

Note the quotation marks around "Valid point"

Firestorm

Does Vancouver have good sushi? What's the best ayce sushi there?
Yes. AYCE isn't usually the best quality. Honestly with Samurai Sushi I don't do AYCE unless we want variety or it's the only thing available (ie. after tournaments at Magic Stronghold and we go to Kingsway Sushi for late night). Shabusen can be kinda cool if you also want Korean BBQ. My sushi tastebuds aren't developed well enough so I stick with Samurai Sushi and Sushi Garden!

Tojo's is considered the best in Vancouver I think? Miku is good too. Those aren't AYCE though and Tojo's is expensive.

I'm right downtown. Near the Queen Elizabeth theatre. Tomorrow I will be in said theatre from 8am to 11pm, but hopefully Friday is nice. :p Food recommendations very welcome, since I'm about to leave to find some right now lol
Things near you that I like:
  • Meat & Bread (great sandwiches, solid for lunch)
  • La Taqueria (one of our top taco places)
  • Jinya Ramen (one of my favourite ramen spots)
  • Black Rice (I was going to say that their lunch menu item Teishoku A is such a good value but it looks like they jacked up the price, but still it's nice)
  • Dae Ji (Korean cutlet place that ain't bad)
  • Kaboom Box (Food cart that's a bit further but solid salmon burger)
  • Nuba (Lebanese food)
  • Hub Bub (great sandwiches)

I kinda like walking down Robson Street on a nice day. You could do that too and find some nice food spots! Santouka Ramen and Nero's Waffle Bar are down that way as are most of our Korean restaurants that aren't all the way in Coquitlam.

I am very confused about a third party seller on Amazon. On their page, they say:

"Recipients of orders shipped outside Canada are fully responsible for all import charges such as Brokerage, Duties, Taxes etc."

They also state domestic prices for Canada shipping. Nothing on their page says that they are in the US. However, I found by accessing a page where you see all possible sellers that the item ships from Virginia, USA.

Now I am scared to be hit with customs and everything, but their wording on their storefront make it sound like they are in Canada. Am I crazy?

Edit: CSR understands it the same way as I do, he says:

"As, I see that it is clearly mentioned that it would be charge only on the items shipped outside Canada. Please do not worry.
There won't be any charges, however if you are hit by the charges, you can contact the seller , so that they can help you accordingly.
If the seller is not able to help you, you can file an A-z guarantee claim on the seller."

Still, I have a huge feeling that I will be hit hard by customs... Can I use that chat to convince Amazon to pay back all extra fees?

killroy87

I don't know what ghetto Samurai Sushi you guys are going to, but the one on Davie is good stuff, and isn't all you can eat.

All you can eat sushi is a scam. It fills you up too fast, you never get your money's worth. You can get full off sushi for like $10

diaspora

I am very confused about a third party seller on Amazon. On their page, they say:

"Recipients of orders shipped outside Canada are fully responsible for all import charges such as Brokerage, Duties, Taxes etc."

They also state domestic prices for Canada shipping. Nothing on their page says that they are in the US. However, I found by accessing a page where you see all possible sellers that the item ships from Virginia, USA.

Now I am scared to be hit with customs and everything, but their wording on their storefront make it sound like they are in Canada. Am I crazy?

Edit: CSR understands it the same way as I do, he says:

"As, I see that it is clearly mentioned that it would be charge only on the items shipped outside Canada. Please do not worry.
There won't be any charges, however if you are hit by the charges, you can contact the seller , so that they can help you accordingly.
If the seller is not able to help you, you can file an A-z guarantee claim on the seller."

Still, I have a huge feeling that I will be hit hard by customs... Can I use that chat to convince Amazon to pay back all extra fees?
Save the chase transcript just in case.

Save the chase transcript just in case.

Should have cut the conversation once I had that, now the CSR has seen the "Ships from VA, USA". While he agrees that their wording and everything makes it sound like there won't be fees and it's all a bit shady, he told me that they probably will be customs. It's a bust! (Not like I was trying to abuse the CSR, I wanted to have a backup about the shady wording all over that third-party seller.)

Edit: What I don't understand is that the sellers have thousands of products and reviews. All reviews are from Canadian and out of the 400 I checked, only one complained about customs and fees. Are they shipping in a sneaky way and they got caught for that guy package? Because they really never advertise shipping from the US, I would expect way more uproar from reviews.

I saw a Japadog in California.

Richmond Sushi is similar to Kingsway Sushi. I've never been though. Richmond is not a good place for sushi. Stick to Vancouver and Burnaby.

Deal

Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax for ps3 on final clearance on Best buy for 9.97.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...spx?path=e35ac460d9b2f48e042263671c230dbcen02

10 copies left online at the time of this post. quebec has shipping restrictions

edit: also, if any of you decided to pick up godzilla for the ps4 within the last 30 days from bb as well (i bought a copy a day or so ago; it just shipped for me), note that it dropped in price again from $14.97 to $9.97. better call customer service to get the price adjusted like I will have to.

edit 2: this starter kit for the n3dsxl is also on final clearance for $14.97 as well., if anyone here is looking for one. It's blue and there are still 5 left at the time of this post:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...spx?path=2d913973351b593cfe1a6d3ab7985c2aen02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom