• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen the BL2 bundle anywhere in the region for quite some time, but would be willing to grab one for you if I saw one.

Come to think of it, I believe I've got an extra BL2 voucher laying around somewhere.

I actually don't care about the game. The borderlands 2 bundle is a guaranteed way to get a Slim on a firmware below 3.18

etta

my hard graphic balls
CAD has appreciated, it's at 1.27/USD now, if it gets to 1.25 by E3, then probably $500 for the PS4 Neo.

Oneself

The whole upgradable consoles is the one thing that's really put a damper on my gaming, it's really made me tune out.
Give it some time, wait and see the official announcements and the real difference it makes. We're not losing anything AFAIK, we gain an option.

Mupod

I don't do enough console gaming to really justify an expensive new PS4 but we'll see. I could almost see a new Bloodborne convincing me.

For now I'm hoping the dollar keeps on creeping up until broadwell-e and the next nvidia cards launch. My big PC upgrade was supposed to happen with devil's canyon but that was around when my paycheques started bouncing and the dollar tanked afterwards.

explodet

I can't see myself ponying up the dough for the PS4K/PS4 NEO just yet - I've already got to put money aside for the NX.

Maybe I'll change my mind if the thing really does launch in 2017 like some of the rumors are stating. Put some of those SDM points to use which are sitting around doing nothing.

Kyolux

I can't see myself ponying up the dough for the PS4K/PS4 NEO just yet - I've already got to put money aside for the NX.

Maybe I'll change my mind if the thing really does launch in 2017 like some of the rumors are stating. Put some of those SDM points to use which are sitting around doing nothing.

Yeah, between NX, PS VR and PS4 Neo, that's a bit much all around the same time. I'm starting with VR. Possibly NX if the lineup convinces me. Was a Wii U early adopter and never regretted, but I'm getting a bit of Nintendo fatigue. Neo would have to be a very noticeable jump for me to consider one.

sikkinixx

The whole upgradable consoles is the one thing that's really put a damper on my gaming, it's really made me tune out.

I feel the same. With the dollar difference to boot the idea of new hardware is unappealing as hell.

Oh well. If anything my days of owning all the consoles are near a close.

kevin1025

Banned
Sorry if it has been mentioned before (I didn't see it, though), but there was concern over Star Ocean 5 on PS4 having two pages on Amazon and people from before the release date announcement might have been left out in the cold. I noticed this morning that my pre-order is now the newer page, or that they combined. So nothing to worry about!

Jamtin

Neo Member
Not sure how widespread this is but since about the beginning of the month Amazon.ca has been sending all their packages to my house at around 9am to 10am in the morning in a white Enterprise Truck. They left all packages in front of the door & rang the doorbell. Now I was told by the person at home that they waited till they came out to pick up the package before leaving.

So I was wondering if any others were experiencing this anywhere else in Canada(I am in the GTA) because I remember Amazon started delivering themselves in the US a couple years back, but don't remember this being announced for Canada in the recent past. As well it should not matter what your shipping is because all of my packages were under Free shipping when they were delivered & there was a tracking number with location scans on the amazon.ca site under each order.

One final question to anyone that has had them delivering recent orders. Do they safe drop our items or take them back to some drop off point like a Canada Post location if no one comes to the door after they ring the doorbell? I only ask because I thought it odd that the person wait for the person in my house to get the parcel before they left our house.

Also apologies if any of this is old news to any of you guys because I looked through a few pages and saw nothing on this subject.

Not sure how widespread this is but since about the beginning of the month Amazon.ca has been sending all their packages to my house at around 9am to 10am in the morning in a white Enterprise Truck. They left all packages in front of the door & rang the doorbell. Now I was told by the person at home that they waited till they came out to pick up the package before leaving.

So I was wondering if any others were experiencing this anywhere else in Canada(I am in the GTA) because I remember Amazon started delivering themselves in the US a couple years back, but don't remember this being announced for Canada in the recent past. As well it should not matter what your shipping is because all of my packages were under Free shipping when they were delivered & there was a tracking number with location scans on the amazon.ca site under each order.

One final question to anyone that has had them delivering recent orders. Do they safe drop our items or take them back to some drop off point like a Canada Post location if no one comes to the door after they ring the doorbell? I only ask because I thought it odd that the person wait for the person in my house to get the parcel before they left our house.

Also apologies if any of this is old news to any of you guys because I looked through a few pages and saw nothing on this subject.

Yes. My friend received one.

Never seen Amazon deliver stuff themselves? Here in Montreal they sometimes use Intelcom (which normally does medical deliveries) and then Amazon handles the customer service part of it.

From my own perspective they are awful though.

They safe drop the items on my porch, and one time the guy called my cell and left a message saying that's where he left them lol.

explodet

My last shipment was an Amazon delivery, was for Dark Souls 3.

Release date was on Tuesday, they shipped it out that day, but it didn't arrive until Monday. It took them 4 business days (and a weekend) to deliver to an address that was essentially a half-hour drive away.

I wasn't impressed.

I returned the item as soon as I got it, discount or no discount.

khaaan

I'm pretty okay with PS4's performance, the only issue I have is that it's *loud* and I'll have to crack it open to give it a good cleaning + replace the thermal paste. Depending on how the PS4K plays out I feel like I might just build or recycle parts of my current PC towards one for the TV.

Anecdotally, Canada Post has delivered my packages closer to the evening but I did have an experience recently where a package was delivered pre-9 AM. I don't know who it was because I was either asleep or showering and someone else answered the door.

Edit: VGP going to save our dollar with all that American collector money

Never seen Amazon deliver stuff themselves? Here in Montreal they sometimes use Intelcom (which normally does medical deliveries) and then Amazon handles the customer service part of it.

From my own perspective they are awful though.

I hate intelcom because they have no pick-up location. They made me change my shipping address on all order to my work place, but that made me lose express shipping to some order, which I can't fix so as a prime member I'll be part of all the shipping horror stories (I'll just buy it at best buy day 1 and return it)!

Give it some time, wait and see the official announcements and the real difference it makes. We're not losing anything AFAIK, we gain an option.

I honestly don't get that, it's not like we are losing anything by them doing it. gaining additional options if anything.

We totally could be losing though.

Devs will spend time and resources making sure the PS4K version takes advantage of the new hardware.

Best case scenario, the PS4 versions of games that "target PS4k" will have no real-world noticeable differences.

Worst case scenario, PS4 versions are going to be notably worse looking, worse performance, worse framerate. Not to mention - while Sony doesn't allow PS4K exclusive games, they don't mandate that they are released at the same time. So PS4K could get a game and PS4 might get it weeks or months later, "downgraded".

Like the issues I heard that exist with the new 3DS.

Devs will spend time and resources making sure the PS4K version takes advantage of the new hardware.

Best case scenario, the PS4 versions of games that "target PS4k" will have no real-world noticeable differences.

Worst case scenario, PS4 versions are going to be notably worse looking, worse performance, worse framerate. Not to mention - while Sony doesn't allow PS4K exclusive games, they don't mandate that they are released at the same time. So PS4K could get a game and PS4 might get it weeks or months later, "downgraded".

Agree this is a troubling development. Would much rather the focus of the industry be in software optimization rather than focusing on accommodating hardware upgrades.

Great memories: Buying a PS3 with uncharted, then a few years later seeing TLOU and how incredible it was, taking existing PS3 hardware to new heights, now that's what I like seeing.

I wonder what, if any, console upgrade trade in deals will exist. I just don't see this trend working for home consoles on a mass scale.

killroy87

Mmmm, I don't think that's allowed. Sony says that each game released must have standard and Neo modes. At no point did they ever even allude to the possibility of them being separate releases. Unless I just completely missed that.

And in the process take all MY money because I've bought four of those reprints so far, including Infinite Space (which I bought PAL copy of off eBay a few weeks ago, dammit). Between these and the Etrian Odyssey reprints (which were, in hindsight, a bad idea thanks to the Untold games), I've spent way more money at VGP on DS games than anywhere else.

I don't think your worst-case scenario is going to happen for a few reasons. One, there's already millions of PS4s out there, and zero Neos. If anything, devs will be making games for PS4 first because there's already a significant user base, and will continue to be for years. Two, it's hard to know without looking at the actual docs that other media outlets have seen, but it really sounds like you actually can't release a game that only has a PS4K mode to start and a PS4 mode patched in later. Sony seems to be committed to the PS4 platform as a whole, going as far as to tell devs that they are under no obligation to "push" the PS4K and requiring that PS4K modes offer no new functionality or features beyond, say, additional players in an existing local co-op mode.

Mmmm, I don't think that's allowed. Sony says that each game released must have standard and Neo modes. At no point did they ever even allude to the possibility of them being separate releases. Unless I just completely missed that.

Has Sony actually said anything themselves so far about the PS4K?

Jamtin

Neo Member
Thanks for the info guys! So hopefully if they continue then the packages will be left at the door just like Canada Post.

Just posted about it here because I haven't seen any info on it anywhere. It is like the GTA is either a test area for it or this is a stealth launch of some sort.

killroy87

Has Sony actually said anything themselves so far about the PS4K?

No, but considering the Giant Bomb leaks have been corroborated by everyone from devs in the know to Digital Foundry, that's about as reliable as you're going to get outside of an official announcement.

Vinc

Why are we expecting PS4K to be more expensive than the current model? Rumors had it at the same price as the original model in the US, no?

Why are we expecting PS4K to be more expensive than the current model? Rumors had it at the same price as the original model in the US, no?

Because when the PS4 was first released, the Canadian dollar was actually at par. This is no longer the case, so the price will likely go up from our perspective even though the rumored USD price is the same.

This is also the reason why the PS4 is one of the few consoles to ever go UP in price as time passed.

It'll probably be like a 3DS/n3DS situation.

Most games will be made for the 3DS. The n3DS will provide slight improvements (faster loading speeds, higher graphical fidelity, higher framerates, additional control options). There will be the occasional game exclusive to the newer model.

The PS4k will be a niche product priced higher than the PS4, accompanied by a PS4 price drop. Then Sony will have a more affordable console and a higher end one.

Vinc

Because when the PS4 was first released, the Canadian dollar was actually at par. This is no longer the case, so the price will likely go up from our perspective even though the rumored USD price is the same.

This is also the reason why the PS4 is one of the few consoles to ever go UP in price as time passed.

This is true, but the current PS4 sells at 430 here right now, so I'm pretty much expecting the PS4K to just replace it as the premium model, and the original to drop to 350 or so.

bryt

I'm probably gonna wait for a price drop on the PS4K before buying it. I'm in no hurry if it's just frame rate/graphics improvements. Those things just aren't important to me.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for the Digital Foundry threads for every single game released trying to find out the differences between the PS4, Xbox One, PS4K, Xbox 1.5, and NX versions.

Lexxism

This is true, but the current PS4 sells at 430 here right now, so I'm pretty much expecting the PS4K to just replace it as the premium model, and the original to drop to 350 or so.
430? Nope. VR is 399 and they priced it at 549. I can see it at 500.

diaspora

The PS4+ will probably be no less than 499 CAD imo. Sony has been slow and tepid on changing the PS4 price largely because of how it was initially offered as a 399 device whereas the PS4+ doesn't need to conform to that.

edit: after reviewing memory card prices, I'm skipping the Vita entirely in favour of buying a used PSP Go.

Conezays

Anyone else's Star Fox Zero ship from amazon.ca? Two-day shipping has given me other Wii U games in the past on the release day and was hoping for the same here. Hasn't yet shipped for me though, argh.

explodet

Anyone else's Star Fox Zero ship from amazon.ca? Two-day shipping has given me other Wii U games in the past on the release day and was hoping for the same here. Hasn't yet shipped for me though, argh.
I got my shipping notification about 15 minutes ago. Guess it's one of those games that qualify for that "Release Date Delivery" thing.
And by Canada Post this time.

I just got my notice about 20-30 minutes ago.

c-post

DJ_Lae

Mine still says delivery estimate, which makes it the first game I've had them completely botch shipping on.

I'm in no real rush to play it anyway, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom