• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravidee

So if I get the FMA collection I only get episode 1-51? Can I watch the last few episodes anywhere in particular online? Also is it worth just skipping straight to Brotherhood as I've heard it's a better adaptation?

The FMA collection contains all episodes for the first series. The Conquerer of Shamballa movie which takes place after is separate but can be obtained as low as 12.99 at HMV. Also, yes Brotherhood is generally considered the better show. I watched it the first time and was pretty blown away. It's up to you if you want to watch it first or save it for after the 2003 series.

I stopped watching Brotherhood once the stories started to diverge, so what do I know?

Yeah, what do you know? Finish it! :mad:

So if I get the FMA collection I only get episode 1-51? Can I watch the last few episodes anywhere in particular online? Also is it worth just skipping straight to Brotherhood as I've heard it's a better adaptation?

There are only 51 episodes in the original Fullmetal Alchemist series. The remake, FMA: Brotherhood, is 64 episodes. I learned all this today when trying to decide if I should buy it or not, given my glacial pace of watching TV shows these days.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

The original FMA series has 51 episodes, so it is the complete series since CoS is more of an extended epilogue. This is how it works:

FMA (2003, series): sticks to the manga for around 25 episodes then goes into an anime-original story since at the time the manga wasn't completed.
-> FMA: Conqueror of Shamballa (2005, movie): picks up where the series ended and offers an extended ending/epilogue.
-> FMA Premium OVA Collection (2009, OVAs): 4 short original video animations that are not related to the main story.

FMA: Brotherhood (2009, series): 64-episode series that covers the FMA manga volume by volume. Since the original series covers the first half in detail, FMAB skims over the first half and goes deep in detail for the later arcs.
-> FMAB: The Sacred Star of Milos (2011, movie): a side story set on the FMAB universe, not essential to the plot at all.
-> FMAB OVA Collection (2012, OVAs) pretty much the same idea as the FMA OVAs but I find that the FMAB ones are better.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Personally, I find that to get the most out of Brotherhood you really have to watch the original FMA since the first parts are so rushed. I watched them back to back and would rate FMA 8/10 and Brotherhood 10/10. FMAB is after all my favorite anime series of all time. :)

Sora_N

I have a $6 promo code, can't find shit to add. What happens if I add a preorder and then wait for FMA to ship and then cancel the preorder?

I never tried it before.

I don't wanna buy Funkos from Amazon anymore because I'll risk my account closing if I complain about damage.

Firestorm

IMO get this deal if you've never experienced the series. Watch Brotherhood afterwards if you want. It's not like I expect anyone to enjoy one but not the other really and I think the original starts stronger. Though in all honesty I'd probably just watch it on Netflix if not already invested?
I liked it better than Brotherhood.
I stopped watching Brotherhood once the stories started to diverge, so what do I know?
I feel like you had a thread and I replied to it but it was as if Brotherhood was made with the assumption the viewer had seen the original and went super fast through the first bit and got much better after the point where the two diverge. So you watched the crappy parts and only have goodness left. They do less of the awkward comedy after that point too iirc.

DVCY201

I bought FMAB just this past month because I figured they'd be going OOP and others will import from Canada, etc. Also nabbed this, I love the original FMA, and for $23 it'll look nice on the shelf

I'd say almost all FMA alchemist material is defiantly worth watching, Brotherhood is probably one of my favorite shows. Sacred Star of Milos is pretty shit though, id skip that.

Mhee12Bee

not much of a deal, but those HORI Fighting Stick Mini 4 are back on Amazon.ca.
Great reviews from what I hear and if anything else... it's a cheap PS4 controller *ba dum tish*

6d4ae43cc2.png

Reminder that Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash WITH the amiibo is still only $15 at EB, and Best Buy will price-match it at $11.49. :) Just got my copy today! :D

That's a good price for the amiibo, and it comes with a free game! :p

Looking forward to trying it, I actually think it looks quite fun!

Ventara

Reminder that Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash WITH the amiibo is still only $15 at EB, and Best Buy will price-match it at $11.49. :) Just got my copy today! :D

That's a good price for the amiibo, and it comes with a free game! :p

Looking forward to trying it, I actually think it looks quite fun!

Yup, placed my order with BB earlier today.

It's been a while since I price-matched online with Best Buy. Do they charge you the regular price then just refund you the difference? Or does the price correct itself to the price-matched price once it ships? It still shows as $50 in my order history, but it hasn't shipped yet.

jred2k

Yup, placed my order with BB earlier today.

It's been a while since I price-matched online with Best Buy. Do they charge you the regular price then just refund you the difference? Or does the price correct itself to the price-matched price once it ships? It still shows as $50 in my order history, but it hasn't shipped yet.

If the discount was applied after you had already submitted the order then it gets refunded to you. Once it ships, look for a discount on your invoice in the top right-hand corner.

Ventara

If the discount was applied after you had already submitted the order then it gets refunded to you. Once it ships, look for a discount on your invoice in the top right-hand corner.

Alright, thanks. It just shipped, and looking at the invoice, I can see a $38.50 discount. That's before tax, right? My paypal still hasn't been refunded, so I'm guessing it'll take a day or two to get refunded.

jred2k

Alright, thanks. It just shipped, and looking at the invoice, I can see a $38.50 discount. That's before tax, right? My paypal still hasn't been refunded, so I'm guessing it'll take a day or two to get refunded.

Yeah you'll get back any additional tax you paid. It can take up to two days to be processed and then any time after that you should see it in PayPal.

chrono01

I received my Bravely Second CE from Amazon.ca today. Surprisingly, they shipped it in a box and not an oversized bag/envelope, so that was appreciated. No DLC codes, though. :(

My Ratchet and Clank STILL hasn't shipped. Obviously no DLC codes there either.

I ordered that FMA collection. I remember watching the original series on TV when I was younger, so I'd love to re-experience it. I ill need to purchase Brotherhood before it goes OOP. I hope I can find them for a decent price before that happens...

Ryne

I didn't know the Bravely Second CE box would be so big, or that the art book would be that size. Even the box itself has this weird wax-y coating and rainbow lettering.
Too bad I hate the game so far

Glad BB actually shipped it in a large box.

khaaan

Yeah, what do you know? Finish it! :mad:

I feel like you had a thread and I replied to it but it was as if Brotherhood was made with the assumption the viewer had seen the original and went super fast through the first bit and got much better after the point where the two diverge. So you watched the crappy parts and only have goodness left. They do less of the awkward comedy after that point too iirc.

:p

With the glowing reviews people are giving it in this thread, I guess I might as well. Coincidentally, I also read the manga right up to the point the story diverged but never went on because my local library didn't carry later volumes and I couldn't be bothered to track down the rest.

It's ok, it's actually quite small. I returned it since I cancelled SFV.

How small is small? Smaller than the Wii U gamepad? The reviews on that seem good and I do want one but I'm not committed to fighting games enough to warrant spending hundred(s) on a stick.

Sora_N

With the glowing reviews people are giving it in this thread, I guess I might as well. Coincidentally, I also read the manga right up to the point the story diverged but never went on because my local library didn't carry later volumes and I couldn't be bothered to track down the rest.

How small is small? Smaller than the Wii U gamepad? The reviews on that seem good and I do want one but I'm not committed to fighting games enough to warrant spending hundred(s) on a stick.

I only used it once before returning it.

Yes it's smaller than the gamepad. It's about the size of a DVD case. The buttons are like the size of a quarter?

Suddenly, this has become a 'Buy FMA' thread.
I just got it too, anyway.

I'm curious, though. With it going OOP, how long do we have until the stock disappears?

Firestorm

For people who got FMA, the dub is fantastic and I'd recommend it. Saw it in Japanese originally then in English a few years later and it was really well done.

MarkusRJR

Does anyone know if the Acer V15 Nitro laptop is any good? I hear a lot of bad things about Acer but it looks super nice.

For people who got FMA, the dub is fantastic and I'd recommend it. Saw it in Japanese originally then in English a few years later and it was really well done.
Yeah the dub is really one of the best dubs I've heard.

kennah

Does anyone know if the Acer V15 Nitro laptop is any good? I hear a lot of bad things about Acer but it looks super nice.

Acer really turned things around in the last couple years. Their stuff has gotten very good.

Gravidee

The 2003 series dub is a little inconsistent. Ed is already great, but others like Mustang sound kind of bad at the start of the series. It's amazing how much of an improvement Travis Willingham makes from the first series to Brotherhood. Having watched the latter first, I thought that it was a completely different actor when I began watching the 2003 series.

diaspora

So apparently the Sony site says that the Vita is unavailable in Canada at retailers in general lmao. Oh well. I might pick up a refurb unit for PSP homebrew since the PSP and Vita used prices are roughly in the $100-130 ballpark.

So apparently the Sony site says that the Vita is unavailable in Canada at retailers in general lmao. Oh well. I might pick up a refurb unit for PSP homebrew since the PSP and Vita used prices are roughly in the $100-130 ballpark.

I still see a random borderlands bundle here and there(in Quebec) but they are getting rarer and rarer for sure.

Dazzler

you in Vancouver? I'd be willing to let mine go + 32Gb memory card for a very reasonable price

superbad

Vita's great.

While out and about today, I saw that a couple of Wal-Mart locations here in Niagara have the base hardware on 'clearance' for $169.

diaspora

Vita's great.

While out and about today, I saw that a couple of Wal-Mart locations here in Niagara have the base hardware on 'clearance' for $169.
I mostly just want it to play old games and Axiom Verge. At $170, I might as well pick one up on Amazon refurb for $110-130.

Vita's great.

I've been looking all over the GTA for a borderlands bundle. Do any of the walmarts in niagara have them? I would make the drive for one.

superbad

I've been looking all over the GTA for a borderlands bundle. Do any of the walmarts in niagara have them? I would make the drive for one.

I haven't seen the BL2 bundle anywhere in the region for quite some time, but would be willing to grab one for you if I saw one.

Come to think of it, I believe I've got an extra BL2 voucher laying around somewhere.

UberTag

Mike McFarland does great work. One of the finest dub directors in the business. Always go out of my way to scope out his shows.

The 2003 series dub is a little inconsistent. Ed is already great, but others like Mustang sound kind of bad at the start of the series. It's amazing how much of an improvement Travis Willingham makes from the first series to Brotherhood. Having watched the latter first, I thought that it was a completely different actor when I began watching the 2003 series.
Getting some experience under his belt went a long way.

What's Walmart like for pricematching sales with these days?

I was at EB yesterday, on a whim, and bought a couple of shirts. While there, I also saw Diablo III UE for PS4 on sale $34.99. I bought it, but all they had was a gutted copy, which they of course called new.

I can live with the gutted one, but have thought about going to Walmart, showing them the price on my phone and seeing if I can get a new, new copy for the same price.

RS4-

I was at EB yesterday, on a whim, and bought a couple of shirts. While there, I also saw Diablo III UE for PS4 on sale $34.99. I bought it, but all they had was a gutted copy, which they of course called new.

I can live with the gutted one, but have thought about going to Walmart, showing them the price on my phone and seeing if I can get a new, new copy for the same price.

YMMV like every store doing PMs. Some of the WMs I've been too say I have to bring an actual printed advert.

jcutner

All you have to do is show this https://www.ebgames.ca/PS4/Games/714997/diablo-iii-ultimate-evil-edition to them, and they'll price match it. It's that easy.

Ryne

Didn't know Diablo III UE was 35 bucks, went ahead and bought it from EB, thanks OCDChewie

Need driveclub at 19.99 again, pissed I missed the BB clearence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom