• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

Banned
The fact we are still talking about NES Classics with this type of fervour means that Nintendo's strategy is working

imBask

Banned
The fact we are still talking about NES Classics with this type of fervour means that Nintendo's strategy is working

we're still talking about it because it's a dope thing and we want one

I would've bought one regardless of the rarity. Now i'm just pissed and I don't know if I want one anymore

antibolo

Banned
Nintendo overestimated AC amiibo demand so hard it's not even funny.

They really are completely fucking clueless as to what their fans want.

mdubs

Banned
oh and i'm sure the bazillion kids who won't get one for Christmas are going to be real happy about it

Somehow I highly doubt that millions of children around the globe are casting away their iPads to ask for an NES Classic so they can play Mega Man 2 and SMB (it would be cool if they did though). The NES Classic is squarely aimed at people like us who grew up with the NES

Takuan

I keep refreshing Amazon in hopes they'll put their Christmas/Boxing Week sales up in advance. Tryna get that FinFan so I don't need to go to Best Buy on the weekend.

imBask

Banned
Somehow I highly doubt that millions of children around the globe are casting away their iPads to ask for an NES Classic so they can play Mega Man 2 and SMB (it would be cool if they did though). The NES Classic is squarely aimed at people like us who grew up with the NES

regardless of who they're aiming at, those people are not getting them

That stupid thing was the PERFECT stocking filler at the right price, they could've sold sooooooooo many of them. I got one somehow and i'm giving it to my mom, yet I don't have one, my gf doesn't have one, my friends don't have one, etc, etc. it's a huge mistake regardless

regardless of who they're aiming at, those people are not getting them

That stupid thing was the PERFECT stocking filler at the right price, they could've sold sooooooooo many of them. I got one somehow and i'm giving it to my mom, yet I don't have one, my gf doesn't have one, my friends don't have one, etc, etc. it's a huge mistake regardless

I also have a feeling that those who have one(including me) are barely using it... if at all.

antibolo

Banned
I bought two so I can keep one for myself but mine is only a decorative item now. I am really disappointed by the quality level of the emulation. But of course it's going to be good enough for my nephews.

frequency

I didn't grow up with a NES. I just want one because I'm interested in it for historic experience purposes and also because GameCenter CX got me interested in classic games.

But as much as I want one, I'm not going out of my way for it. I won't go out of my way for any product.

The low availability of it is killing my interest though. I was way more hyped for it a few weeks ago than I am now. Now it's just if I see it then I'll consider it. I would've been excited to give them my money earlier.

Ryde3

I bought two so I can keep one for myself but mine is only a decorative item now. I am really disappointed by the quality level of the emulation. But of course it's going to be good enough for my nephews.

What about the emulation don't you like? I thought the general consensus was that it's great and a big improvement over the VC versions?

leeman

If I don't get the limited edition for pre-ordering the regular edition I'm gonna be pissed. Idk why there's even a separate listing, its the same price and SE said its a free upgrade to anyone that pre-orders the regular version.

I've been eyeing this listing since the day it was posted. The placeholder has been sitting there for a long while, and I wasn't sure why. Really curious how they will handle this for people who ordered the regular version as well...

I've been eyeing this listing since the day it was posted. The placeholder has been sitting there for a long while, and I wasn't sure why. Really curious how they will handle this for people who ordered the regular version as well...

If it's like WoFF, we should all be upgraded to the limited edition.

antibolo

Banned
What about the emulation don't you like? I thought the general consensus was that it's great and a big improvement over the VC versions?

The Wii U NES VC was garbage because the colors were waaaaay washed out and there was significant input lag (which seemed worse on the GamePad). OTOH the vanilla Wii NES VC was basically perfect, even had native 240p support.

The NES Classic has these following issues:
- Colors aren't as bad as on Wii U but they're still kinda ugly
- Sound is laggy and at the wrong pitch

It's arguably better than the Wii U emulator, but not the Wii emulator, no.

I don't really understand why it gets so much praise really, I mean it does the job as a cool-looking official legal NES emulation box, but why is the emulation quality still worse than decades old emulators?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I finally gave up on the NES classic and just put together a RetroPie box for someones gift instead. 100+ games on 5 different systems for the same cost.

Really think Nintendo screwed this up with forced scarcity. I would have just bought the NES if it was ever available. Good headlines though!
But it doesn't look as cool as this.

oggYQSIl.jpg

Entropia

No One Remembers
The Wii U NES VC was garbage because the colors were waaaaay washed out and there was significant input lag (which seemed worse on the GamePad). OTOH the vanilla Wii NES VC was basically perfect, even had native 240p support.

The NES Classic has these following issues:
- Colors aren't as bad as on Wii U but they're still kinda ugly
- Sound is laggy and at the wrong pitch

It's arguably better than the Wii U emulator, but not the Wii emulator, no.

I don't really understand why it gets so much praise really, I mean it does the job as a cool-looking official legal NES emulation box, but why is the emulation quality still worse than decades old emulators?

The majority of the target market for the NES Classic probably doesn't care about the nit picking details of the emulation quality. You said it's "Good enough" for your nephews... they probably don't notice about what you listed above either.

If it's actually a straight up double trade credit and not some hidden "no it's actually double 5% bonus," I might bite. Then again, a lot of bigger TIVs are probably dropping overnight.

antibolo

Banned
The majority of the target market for the NES Classic probably doesn't care about the nit picking details of the emulation quality. You said it's "Good enough" for your nephews... they probably don't notice about what you listed above either.

Well yeah sure. All I'm saying is that the emulation is not as great as some have claimed.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You guys have been good to me over the years so I want to share some movie codes. Please note some may already be expired (expiry on digital codes is the worst shit ever. Talk about being cheap and short sighted)

ULTRAVIOLET CODES

This is the End - THCM-5RY2-SA0E-3S92
Pacific Rim - 7Y62C7TJC3BC
Dark Knight Returns Deluxe - V7B4YJ7XQJF2
Justice League Flashpoint - XGJC6CXT23BB
How to Train Your Dragon - APHN3HMREHKW

Happy Holidays everyone!

mileS

Working how? because we are talking about it? I mean I'd love for someone to prove me wrong but it doesn't take a market analyst to understand that Nintendo is losing out on a lot of money this holiday season. I just don't see how this strategy has any use this time around. The demand was there day 1, people flooded social media with it for weeks after. They were set up quite nicely to knock this one out of the park.

bryt

How much is Uncharted 4 trading in for at ebgames? Thinking about trading it in since I'm probably never gonna play it.

Working how? because we are talking about it? I mean I'd love for someone to prove me wrong but it doesn't take a market analyst to understand that Nintendo is losing out on a lot of money this holiday season. I just don't see how this strategy has any use this time around. The demand was there day 1, people flooded social media with it for weeks after. They were set up quite nicely to knock this one out of the park.

Agreed. Nintendo doesn't make money from people talking about it. The number of people who will rush out to buy it after xmas is probably significantly smaller than the number of people who would buy one before xmas. It's a missed opportunity.

Agreed. Nintendo doesn't make money from people talking about it. The number of people who will rush out to buy it after xmas is probably significantly smaller than the number of people who would buy one before xmas. It's a missed opportunity.

I'm not so sure. Reminding people of the good times they had with their classic IPs and re-igniting that itch to play them might translate into Switch sales if the NES classic is unavailable. If you let them scratch that itch with the old games at a low price, they may tire themselves out again and pass on the Switch.

Then again I believe Nintendo's best path to success would be completely giving up on hardware (except for nostalgia items like the NES Classic), but that's just me.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Tomorrow there is a double your trade-in value day. Tomorrow only. It's on their website.

Lets hope they dont tank the values overnight.

If theyre giving $27 for Uncharted 4 today, that means I could get $54 for it tomorrow that would be amazing.

Common theme for Boxing Day is a $329.99 PS4 and XB1S:

RCSS
Uncharted 4 PS4 bundle $329.97 with a GC (don't know how much, maybe $30)

Shoppers
18,500 bonus points on Dec. 26 and 27
PS4 $329.99
Gears/Halo XB1S bundle $329.99

Toys R Us
Gears/Halo XB1S bundle with $30 GC $329.99
B2G1F on all Amiibo
Up to $30 off select games

London Drugs
Gears/Halo XB1S bundle with $30 GC $329.99
PS4 $329.99

The Source

Gears/Halo XB1S bundle with headset $329.99
PS4 $329.99
Save up to $30 on select games
XB1 controllers $59.99
PS4 controllers $49.99

EB Games (I like how half of every page is merchandise stuff)
XB1S bundle with WWE 2K17/NBA 2K17 $329.99
Final Fantasy/Watch Dogs/Call of Duty $49.99
Mafia 3 $39.99 Dec. 26 only
WWE 2K17/NBA 2K17 $39.99 Dec. 26 only

Skyrim $54.99 Dec. 26 only
PS4 controllers $49.99 Dec. 26-27 only
Dead Rising 4 $49.99
Dishonored 2 $54.99
NHL/Forza $49.99
XB1 controllers $15 off
XCOM/Bioshock $49.99
GTAV $29.99