• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol that's the only difference? Yeah I think I can live without that thanks.

Wait!

"The sword itself is a 3D embossed sculpt with a metallic foil finish and is printed at the size of an actual sword hilt to give the reader the satisfaction of unsheathing the realistic-looking sword from the acetate sleeve sheathe that encases the book."

So with Nintendo only shipping 2 million of the Switch how fucked are most smaller Canadian towns/cities going to be in terms of allotment? I guess I might actually have to pre-order on amazon for the first time ever.

leeman

3x? My regular edition is $22 including tax so this would be almost 5x the price.

Yup, me too. Literally $22.09. I really want to hope that the price will come down, but it just sold out, so not sure if they would bother adjusting the price if it's sold out...

tiijj

3x? My regular edition is $22 including tax so this would be almost 5x the price.

Im quoting the current price right now, who knows, it might go down to $60-70 so it might still be 3x by then.

Wait how did we get this 2 Million number?

Nintendo Switch Will Ship 2 Million Units in Launch Month, Says President

Also a tweet from takashi mochizuki
Nintendo CEO says current FY financial guidance assumes 2 million units of Switch to be shipped this fiscal year ending in March

DJ_Lae

Just ordered myself another round of computer parts - man does the dollar suck at the moment.

7700K and 270E motherboard total almost $800 after tax. Blech.

CazTGG

So with Nintendo only shipping 2 million of the Switch how fucked are most smaller Canadian towns/cities going to be in terms of allotment? I guess I might actually have to pre-order on amazon for the first time ever.

If that number holds true, knowing Nintendo's history with mishandling pre-orders, they're going to have some major difficulties getting a hold of them.

Reposting this from the last page:

Since we're talking PCs, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on one i'm planning on building: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/yyNpVY

The plan is to have a PC that's powerful but relatively quiet, namely since it will be used for recording audio and editing videos along with the usual video games (the last PC I built was pretty noisy thanks to cheaping out on a poor case and going with the stock CPU cooler AMD provided). Right now, i'm torn on:
-Whether the extra cash for the 7700K is worth it or if I should stick with a 6700K and upgrade it when it becomes less expensive
-Whether I should go with Hitachi or Seagate for my RAID 5 storage or if I should look to another brand of HDDs for massive storage (Those video files add up over time. Ex: One video I did on Fire Emblem Fates had well over 1TB of game footage)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Deimos

If that number holds true, knowing Nintendo's history with mishandling pre-orders, they're going to have some major difficulties getting a hold of them.

Reposting this from the last page:

You're already putting $2k+ into this rig, might as well go full out with the cpu.

Can't really give any advice on Seagate, I think they got their shit together recently but for a long time their hdd lifespans weren't great.

krae_man

It's hard to have an opinion on that 2 million number without knowing the launch date.

If the launch is March 31st 2 million is closer to acceptable then if it launches March 1st.

killroy87

I have zero faith in Nintendo at this point to provide a proper amount of Switch consoles at launch.

I have about 70% faith. This is a different thing for them, they want to tout sales numbers more than they want another scarcity on their hands.

It might be hard to find, but I think they'll keep it from being an amiibo/NES Classic thing.

leeman

I have about 70% faith. This is a different thing for them, they want to tout sales numbers more than they want another scarcity on their hands.

It might be hard to find, but I think they'll keep it from being an amiibo/NES Classic thing.

I somewhat agree. I think it will definitely be better than the NES Classic debacle (Nintendo NEEDS to get this in consumer's hands), however the hype is really big for the Switch, and Nintendo always tends to lean towards careful production run initially then ramps up production from there based on results. I definitely see it selling out day one.

krae_man

We have the added faith that the poor dollar will knock it out of some peoples price ranges no matter what price Nintendo puts it at.

kevin1025

Banned
I have zero faith in Nintendo at this point to provide a proper amount of Switch consoles at launch.

I'm waiting till late summer. Unless this is another Wii, they will be plentiful by then and there'll be a couple more games.

Plus March is gross with games already for me.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm waiting till late summer. Unless this is another Wii, they will be plentiful by then and there'll be a couple more games.

Plus March is gross with games already for me.

I'll bitch and moan but will probably end up preordering the thing because I can't help it, especially if Splatoon is there at launch. I don't feel great about it considering what they pulled with the NES Classic though.

I want to grab a switch, but
Nioh
Horizon
Persona
KH
All around the same time.
Do I bite on the switch and wait for discounts?
Haven't owned a Nintendo console since like 2011

Lexxism

Uhm, do you have any games interested on the system? Like Zelda? I mean, if you don't then don't get the system. Those people who will buy it day 1 are those who want to play Zelda. I'm not one of them since I'm waiting for Pokemon. So, I'll probably get one by Fall.

kevin1025

Banned
I'll bitch and moan but will probably end up preordering the thing because I can't help it, especially if Splatoon is there at launch. I don't feel great about it considering what they pulled with the NES Classic though.

Oh yeah, Splatoon at launch will be worthy of its preorder troubles! I'm trying my best to keep my head down, haha, with potentially 2 million total at launch if the story is to be believed, Canada will likely get shafted in key areas.

Nioh
Horizon
Persona
KH

Yeah if zelda is launch and you love it then sure go for it.

If not, whats the rush.

Feb to May is loaded with incredible (potential incredible) PS4 games. Including 2 extremely time consuming games in P5 and KH like you mentioned.

5-7 months after Wii U launch you could find a new/used system for 30% less, and half priced games on kijiji. But that may have been an unusual case, we all know how the U story concluded.

kevin1025

Banned
Nioh
Horizon
Persona
KH

Plus if you're into it, Final Fantasy XII will likely be in May.

For me, it's Horizon in February, Ghost Recon, South Park, Mass Effect in March, Persona in April, and FF XII in May. I still haven't even put a dent in the fall games yet.

But! If you really want the Switch and like the games line-up they show on Thursday, then you should certainly go for it!

Mikey Jr.

Nioh
Horizon
Persona
KH

Ask yourself, why do you want a switch? If you want to play Zelda over those games you listed, go for it.

If want want a switch just because you want to be part of the zeitgeist, then don't.

For the price of a switch and 1 game, I can play probably 6 games that would last me months. It's up to you man, but for me, I can't wait to play those games you listed, plus gravity rush 2.

Ask yourself, why do you want a switch? If you want to play Zelda over those games you listed, go for it.

If want want a switch just because you want to be part of the zeitgeist, then don't.

For the price of a switch and 1 game, I can play probably 6 games that would last me months. It's up to you man, but for me, I can't wait to play those games you listed, plus gravity rush 2.

Persona
Persona
Persona
Persona
Persona

Now thats a lineup!

Ok
gravity rush 2
as well

Mimosa97

I want to get rid of my original PS4. The idea of dealing with people on Kijiji isn't very appealing ... Any other way I could get around 200$ for it and call it a day ?

Also guys this isn't gaming related but you can get 2 free months of audible (which technically translates to 2 free books) via livingsocial https://www.livingsocial.com/content/offers/762-Audible_2016

You just have to cancel your membership after you've collected the second book next month. It works even if you're a past member and/or if you've already used the 1-month free trial. If you have an active membership cancel it and you can redeem the promo code right away. No need to create an account you can use your amazon account.

NYR

I want to get rid of my original PS4. The idea of dealing with people on Kijiji isn't very appealing ... Any other way I could get around 200$ for it and call it a day ?
You can get 210 from ebgames if you want to upgrade to a pro, so getting 200 from Kijiji would be pretty simple.

I mean...what kind of heathen isn't into Zelda? But I guess I want switch as a replacement for my 3ds (by console I meant home console) and I've got faith that plenty of good games will come out for it, I'm of course especially excited for Zelda, A new Animal crossing, Monster Hunter, Pokémon, etc and the switch is like my perfect Nintendo home console in terms of design.
But you guys are right in that there is no rush and then there's also my birthday 4 months after launch, so I could just treat myself then and indulge in ps4 right now.

But then I'm also thinking of not buying games at launch anymore to see of I can grab them discounted in a month or two for around $50
Gah

I mean...what kind of heathen isn't into Zelda? But I guess I want switch as a replacement for my 3ds (by console I meant home console) and I've got faith that plenty of good games will come out for it, I'm of course especially excited for Zelda, A new Animal crossing, Monster Hunter, Pokémon, etc and the switch is like my perfect Nintendo home console in terms of design.
But you guys are right in that there is no rush and then there's also my birthday 4 months after launch, so I could just treat myself then and indulge in ps4 right now.

But then I'm also thinking of not buying games at launch anymore to see of I can grab them discounted in a month or two for around $50
Gah

A friend of mine HATES zelda, he also has an insane standard of he won't ever buy a ps4 unless it gets another champions of norrath sequel, or he can buy it for $100.

Then again I don't like any of the 3d mario games, the RE franchise up to now(I'm giving 7 a fair shake) so everyone has their nopes but still.

Kyolux

Montreal :(

I've already bought a pro. That's why i want to get rid of my old PS4 lol

If you guys are patient and want to trust me. I go back and forth between Ottawa and Montreal a lot since my gf lives in Montreal. Next trip is probably on the 19th or 20th. If it's not too much out of my way, I could relay the console. Just offering it up.

A friend of mine HATES zelda, he also has an insane standard of he won't ever buy a ps4 unless it gets another champions of norrath sequel, or he can buy it for $100.

Then again I don't like any of the 3d mario games, the RE franchise up to now(I'm giving 7 a fair shake) so everyone has their nopes but still.
You need to get a new friend
But in all seriousness, I've never been a Mario fan in general outside of it being one of the first games I played when I was incredibly young, and i feel the same way you do about RE, but mostly because I have an aversion to horror games (2spooky4me) but I wanna try RE7
I also don't like Uncharted so there's that

i-Jest

Tweet and article are from October.

Here's hoping that Thursday generates enough buzz for them to try and ramp that number up.

Nah, all these numbers will do is generate hype. 10 minutes after pre-orders go live I expect retailers to sell out.

EDIT: Canuck GAF Scale Bound pre-orders, look forward to that Amazon credit I guess.

Sealtest

Ebay counterfeit item question.

I recently bought a MTG Card from a seller who sells "altered" ( by altered I mean painted ) cards and I found out the card I got was a fake. What kind of proof do I need to provide to Ebay for them to look into this?

The person has now started putting a disclaimer on his new ads saying he paints fake cards but the original listing never said this. Isn't this against the rules of ebay?

Mimosa97

If you guys are patient and want to trust me. I go back and forth between Ottawa and Montreal a lot since my gf lives in Montreal. Next trip is probably on the 19th or 20th. If it's not too much out of my way, I could relay the console. Just offering it up.

Thank you for your offer man. That's very nice of you. I feel like the logistics would be just too complicated tbh.

And you should definitely move to Montreal to be with your gf. Leave that boring city and come join the fun ! lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ebay counterfeit item question.

I recently bought a MTG Card from a seller who sells "altered" ( by altered I mean painted ) cards and I found out the card I got was a fake. What kind of proof do I need to provide to Ebay for them to look into this?

The person has now started putting a disclaimer on his new ads saying he paints fake cards but the original listing never said this. Isn't this against the rules of ebay?
This should be something you can contest if the old listing is still available, but I'm not sure what they'll have you do.

Kyolux

Thank you for your offer man. That's very nice of you. I feel like the logistics would be just too complicated tbh.

And you should definitely move to Montreal to be with your gf. Leave that boring city and come join the fun ! lol

Probably is,but thought I'd offer anyway.

I actually live and work in Gatineau so moving to Montreal is a no go right now.

What build are you thinking? $2000 before taxes? This thing is a beast and I am very happy with it.

Don't forget to do the online price match with NCIX, they price matched everything for me. Also, check other sites like Canada Computers that aren't on PC part picker.

I actually ended up cancelling and bought at Canada Computers because there was a location much closer to me, so I picked a few parts, such as the ram and the motherboard to match their price.

Give me your price and ill see what the best build I can come up with for that price.

I was thinking $2000 with taxes. I only have a 1080p monitor so as long as I can play a game like Doom (2016) or Witcher 3 at max, with 1080p/60fps I'm good. I don't even know if that's doable with Canadian prices.

But I plan on buying/building a PC perhaps next year. Right now I'm saving for school stuff. Hopefully next year things get cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom