• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

krae_man

Is there any word on when Switch pre-orders will go live anywhere or is it just "be ready"? I would expect some to go live either tonight or tomorrow but truth be told, I have never pre-ordered a console before.

Generally speaking, if you preorder the day they go live you should have no problem getting the console day one.

However, this is Nintendo we are taking about so they might only allocate 15 Switches for the entirety of Canada.

I got mine at a Shopper's Drug Mart. They sell games and stuff, but nobody seems to buy them.

There's a Shoppers near my office that sells video games, but it only has a sad little stand on the second floor, with one side containing old games including PS3 games (and I think even one PSP game!). That side faces a window and so is sunbleached to shit.

Meanwhile, it actually has a bunch of new releases. They had Watch Dogs 2 for $49.99 a few months back, for example. But all the new release games are hidden in a drawer behind the counter, with no display copies or any sign at all that they exist in the store. You'd have to know they stock new releases and ask specifically if they have a certain title in order to buy anything. I'm really confused as to what this retail strategy is supposed to accomplish.

It's especially weird because the OTHER Shoppers near my office that sells video games has them all out on a wall display by the counters (not even really BEHIND the counter). That one had BF1 for $49.99 around the same time, and you could just grab a copy no problem.

Is there any word on when Switch pre-orders will go live anywhere or is it just "be ready"? I would expect some to go live either tonight or tomorrow but truth be told, I have never pre-ordered a console before.

The feeling I am getting by the way retailers are preparing their sites is that orders are going to hit quickly. EB is already advertising on their main page that they will be having an upgrade deal.

I hope I can walk in at 10 am tomorrow and order my Switch there. I will try to secure an online order tonight as well.

Kyolux

Good luck to you guys trying to nab an early Switch.

I'm not sold on it yet. So it's going to be a wait and see for me. Though if I have the chance, I may consider trading my OG PS4 for one. Possibly. But I'm going to guess without a pre-order it's going to be difficult.

UberTag

hoping to get a switch pre-order on amazon.ca tonight asap, or head to best buy tomorrow morning and hope for the best
I'm extremely doubtful of being able to land an online pre-order anywhere tonight without wretched scalpers bringing down servers and clearing through allotments in a minute or less.

Planning to line up outside of EBGames at open tomorrow and cover the full cost of the system.
None of this deposit so they can sell it off to someone else, crap. I don't trust any retailers and I don't trust Nintendo.

krae_man

I got mine at a Shopper's Drug Mart. They sell games and stuff, but nobody seems to buy them.

My Shoppers have the most random stuff. They have Move controllers for $20 and nobody is even buying those. They still have Playstation plus cards for $50 too and then random ass old PSP games for full price.

Moltenix

We can always wait!

but honestly, there won't be any shortage on this like people are expecting

With all this shortage doom and gloom from everyone, i'm scared lol

What if Nintendo knocks it out of the park tonight and I can't get my hands on one at launch!

killroy87

How screwed am I if I can't go to preorder in-store until end of workday tomorrow?

Honestly, i can't remember the last time preorders for a console have run out. Even PS4 and Xbone preorders, you could just do (and if they did run out, it wasn't for until good while after they began).

I really think preordering a Switch shouldn't be a massive deal, you're bound to find a retailer that can do it. There is literally zero benefit to Nintendo for making these things scarce, especially since it launches at the end of fiscal year.

I'm extremely doubtful of being able to land an online pre-order anywhere tonight without wretched scalpers bringing down servers and clearing through allotments in a minute or less.

Planning to line up outside of EBGames at open tomorrow and cover the full cost of the system.
None of this deposit so they can sell it off to someone else, crap. I don't trust any retailers and I don't trust Nintendo.

same here going there pay full so i know i have my pre order set

joedick

Honestly, i can't remember the last time preorders for a console have run out. Even PS4 and Xbone preorders, you could just do (and if they did run out, it wasn't for until good while after they began).

I really think preordering a Switch shouldn't be a massive deal, you're bound to find a retailer that can do it. There is literally zero benefit to Nintendo for making these things scarce, especially since it launches at the end of fiscal year.

There's no benefit to making them scarce, but they are still bound by the amount the factory can crank out before launch, whether the parts makers can keep up, etc.

I can remember the last time pre-orders for a console ran out: the Wii. But who knows if we'll ever see something like that again?

No worries :). I am also expecting pre-orders somewhere at thesource.ca, but have not been able to nail down a product page as of yet...

You are always very helpful with posting links! Thank you.

Anyone else feel this has a lot less hype than the NES Classic? My fb feed is not even mentioning it, though twitter has it trending but its the usual ultra fans tweeting so...

antibolo

Banned
So what devices exactly is it possible to stream Amazon Prime Video from here in Canada?

edit: I see they have a list on their website. Seems to be only Saart TVs, no consoles. Guess I'll just to have to hook my laptop up to my TV with an HDMI cable.

The PS4 app works if you download it from an account from another country. I got it from my Japanese PSN account and it works with my Canadian Prime account.

I assume you could do something similar on other consoles as well.

And yes that's pretty stupid. For some reason it seems Amazon.ca doesn't want people to know their service can be used on consoles.

Quick

Banned
I feel like the dropping of the folded egg on McGriddles and Bagel sandwiches was a step towards making it easier for them to include all day breakfast. I found this change quite unfortunate as I feel like the regular egg which works great on an english muffin doesn't work as well on the McGriddle/Bagel.

Also has this not been since November? My friends and I went to Survivor Series in November and I saw all day breakfast signs outside of a few McDonalds that we passed in the Oshawa/Whitby/Ajax area.

Probably yeah. I don't go to McDonald's often so I only noticed it last month or maybe a little earlier.

Luigi87

True enough to the responses.

All I know is I am for once glad I'm working closing shifts at my job today and tomorrow, as I can watch both presentations, and potentially go out to my local EB in the morning and pre-order.

FN-2187

The PS4 app works if you download it from an account from another country. I got it from my Japanese PSN account and it works with my Canadian Prime account.

I assume you could do something similar on other consoles as well.

And yes that's pretty stupid. For some reason it seems Amazon.ca doesn't want people to know their service can be used on consoles.

Same thing for Xbox One. Switch region to US. Download Prime app and switch region back to Canada. Login with your Canadian Prime account and the videos available on Canadian Prime will work.

SickBoy

I think they could be hard to find, but I'd like to believe the concern about preorders (especially brick and mortar preorders) being nuts/instantly sold out on Day 1 is just an instance of gamers working themselves up.

I was also quite worried about my PS4 preorder -- clearly it was the most popular machine for preorders and I expected it might be tough to secure one... but I went randomly on the first day and it was a non-issue.

I don't think Switch preorders will be nearly as high-demand, though maybe allocations will be that much worse?

c-murph

This is brilliant.

Everything except for ignoring the backlog. Never ignore that backlog.

In all honesty I don't even play video games any more if it isn't a mobile game I can whip out between/during classes. I purchase games just to make my shelves look nice.

SickBoy

FWIW, not that it's a surprise to anyone, I was at a local EB Games today... was going to ask, but the chatter among staff all but confirmed that tomorrow would be the day they were starting preorders.

SickBoy

Has anyone used the EB Games "preorder and pickup in store" functionality? Seems ideal for me, but also not something I'm 100% convinced will work as advertised.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm gonna line up at EB Games before they open tomorrow. I got $250 in store credit which I need to move to the Switch.

If the Switch is a hybrid then the price should be between handheld and console games. Handheld games = $40 US and console games = $60 US therefore Switch games should be $50 US but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

I'm gonna line up at EB Games before they open tomorrow. I got $250 in store credit which I need to move to the Switch.

If the Switch is a hybrid then the price should be between handheld and console games. Handheld games = $40 US and console games = $60 US therefore Switch games should be $50 US but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Why aren't you already there??

Has anyone used the EB Games "preorder and pickup in store" functionality? Seems like a dream come true for me, but also not something I'm 100% convinced that will work as advertised.
I've used it for games, but never for hardware.

The last time I used that option online, the manager said he had to make sure that I ordered "in time" before he could go into the back and get my game. Not really sure what he meant by that, but it's making me feel a little uneasy going into the pre-orders tonight. I'm thinking that I might place my order online with them tonight, and then drop by the store tomorrow and just make sure that there will be a unit at the store specifically for me on launch day. (I have to go to the mall anyway)

kevin1025

Banned

We're getting $74.99 Switch games, I imagine. Though an in-between price like you said would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom