• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

Canada Post really seems to depend on the delivery person. The previous woman was great - current one not so much. She's told us that she hates delivering mail on our street and it usually comes every other day at around 8pm, which is nuts.

And she never rings, so I get situations like a 1070 card dumped on the porch on a relatively busy street.

Ever try just going to where you know the package will be?

They probably have it organized so just giving your last name and having your ID would hopefully do the trick, even without the tag.
You don't need the notice to get your package. I know I've missed Canada Post by the missed buzz call on my cell phone, and I just head to the post office and give them my name and grab my packages. If your things always go to the same post office you should be able to do the same.
My anxieties told me that this was a really bad idea, and that I definitely should not do it.

but I put my trust in GAF, and what do you know - the package was there waiting for me! They actually updated the website and said my package was ready to be picked up (which was only about an hour after it said a notice had been left) so I felt a little more confident going in and explaining the situation.

I ordered some glasses from Clearly at the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised when they offered me a choice of who I wanted them to ship with

I went for Canada Post as the mailman has a key to my building (small building with only three units) and will drop packages inside the door without a signature
That second part sounds really nice. My building is far too big to allow something like that, but it would be nice if we had some bigger boxes in the mail room where parcels could be left, and the keys put into the recipients regular boxes. Oh well.

What gets me the most is that I know they aren't bothering to buzz me, even though I have my buzz number written on the address line. I'd try to shift the blame onto the buzzer, but every other person that has to buzz me has never had an issue to my knowledge. Unless there is a policy that I don't know of, I honestly think whoever is on my route for Canada Post just doesn't want to wait for me to come downstairs. Luckily, the post office isn't too far from my place, so it's only a moderate inconvenience.

soultron

Banned
soultron's money saving strategy this year: don't buy shit on release anymore. My backlog is too big.

I feel bad because (as someone who works in the industry) I really want to support stuff at launch, I just can't justify it unless I'm going to play it exactly when I get it. I have other stuff I should probably be saving for
, like a house, car, or first kid.

krae_man

soultron's money saving strategy this year: don't buy shit on release anymore. My backlog is too big.

I feel bad because (as someone who works in the industry) I really want to support stuff at launch, I just can't justify it unless I'm going to play it exactly when I get it. I have other stuff I should probably be saving for

If you watch for it, you can probably find a nice cheap kid on Groupon.

It's either a Switch or a kid for me.

joms5

2017-strategy_zpsxsdu1xgc.jpg

This is brilliant.

Everything except for ignoring the backlog. Never ignore that backlog.

MikeRahl

My anxieties told me that this was a really bad idea, and that I definitely should not do it.

but I put my trust in GAF, and what do you know - the package was there waiting for me! They actually updated the website and said my package was ready to be picked up (which was only about an hour after it said a notice had been left) so I felt a little more confident going in and explaining the situation.

Great that it worked out. It depends on the day and location really, I know my cards always tell me to go the next day, one place would never have it ready for the next day but the others have all been pretty good on it being ready right after the mail truck gets there.

The reason I know this is because I started putting 'No Safe Drop' on all my orders at one point because carriers started deciding that it was safe to put $500+ packages at a doorstep in a shared courtyard. I moved so really there is no reason they can't drop now but in this last case I forgot to update that :/

SickBoy

Great that it worked out. It depends on the day and location really, I know my cards always tell me to go the next day, one place would never have it ready for the next day but the others have all been pretty good on it being ready right after the mail truck gets there.

Yep...

Generally I have OK luck with Canada Post, but it really does come down to who's delivering and who's at your post office and probably a ton of other factors.

Years ago, for my son's first or second birthday, my wife had me order something for his party that we had to arrange through that GameDealsCanada guy at CAG (wouldn't ship here).

He did everything right and had the order on its way with plenty of time, but it didn't fare so well after it left his hands. It was still on pace to get here in time for the party, but on the Friday before, I think we wound up with a slip (or maybe nothing and we just still had the tracking number). I was both infuriated and crapping my pants that it was going to be a big chunk of cash out the window... so I called Canada Post and explained everything (including that it was for a birthday party) and to the credit of the woman I spoke with, she let me go, made a couple of checks and basically made sure that I could get it from my local post office. If only every interaction with Canada Post were so good.

I like Flex Delivery. There's a post office right next to my work so I just have my stuff delivered there.

Whoa I never even knew this existed, nice. I'll definitely start using that for stuff that I don't want to have to walk back home with from work. There's a post office very close to where I live.

So what devices exactly is it possible to stream Amazon Prime Video from here in Canada?

edit: I see they have a list on their website. Seems to be only Saart TVs, no consoles. Guess I'll just to have to hook my laptop up to my TV with an HDMI cable.

joms5

Ah see. I'm not intentionally wanting to ignore my backlog, but decided to be realistic with what will likely happen.

It all depends on priorities too. If you have a wife, kids and a house to take care of, i'm sure those would take precedence over a game backlog.

I'm at the stage where I'm engaged and don't have any of that, yet. I'm sure i'll be singing a different tune come next year. Hence why i'm trying to do as much damage to that backlog as I can.

Also depends on the size of the backlog. I'm only looking at a 5 year backlog, with about 25 games per year. I'm sure other people have backlogs that dwarf mine.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Shoutouts to Hero of Legend for offering me a spot to the Switch event this weekend but Im stuck at work for the day, you the real MVP.

What are the chances if I show up after work and beg them to get in they'll let me? Ill whip out my
n3DSXL
if I have to.

Shoutouts to Hero of Legend for offering me a spot to the Switch event this weekend but Im stuck at work for the day, you the real MVP.

What are the chances if I show up after work and beg them to get in they'll let me? Ill whip out my
n3DSXL
if I have to.
Uhhhhhhhh can I take it

i-Jest

Has anyone ordered games from Push Button Entertainment, on Bestbuy.ca? The seller has a few games I'm interested in getting but i've seen no reviews.

Quick

Banned
I'm close to a McDonald's that serves all-day breakfast and it's pretty great. Bit of a wait though, but at least the hash browns are fresh. Hash browns are usually why it's a wait for me, presumably because they have to fry it as it's ordered vs having them readily available.

Do keep in mind that they don't serve the full breakfast menu (yet?).

It's the McMuffins, hash browns, and pancakes currently. Might be missing something or other. Definitely no McGriddles.

Corey31

I'm close to a McDonald's that serves all-day breakfast and it's pretty great. Bit of a wait though, but at least the hash browns are fresh. Hash browns are usually why it's a wait for me, presumably because they have to fry it as it's ordered vs having them readily available.

Do keep in mind that they don't serve the full breakfast menu (yet?).

It's the McMuffins, hash browns, and pancakes currently. Might be missing something or other. Definitely no McGriddles.

I feel like the dropping of the folded egg on McGriddles and Bagel sandwiches was a step towards making it easier for them to include all day breakfast. I found this change quite unfortunate as I feel like the regular egg which works great on an english muffin doesn't work as well on the McGriddle/Bagel.

Also has this not been since November? My friends and I went to Survivor Series in November and I saw all day breakfast signs outside of a few McDonalds that we passed in the Oshawa/Whitby/Ajax area.

Moltenix

I feel like the dropping of the folded egg on McGriddles and Bagel sandwiches was a step towards making it easier for them to include all day breakfast. I found this change quite unfortunate as I feel like the regular egg which works great on an english muffin doesn't work as well on the McGriddle/Bagel.

Also has this not been since November? My friends and I went to Survivor Series in November and I saw all day breakfast signs outside of a few McDonalds that we passed in the Oshawa/Whitby/Ajax area.

Haven't had a McD's breakfast in so long.

They got rid of the folded eggs?! Nooooo!

uhhh where in the GTA is there a mcdonalds location test serving all-day breakfast??

http://business.financialpost.com/n...-breakfast-in-a-handful-of-canadian-locations

WHERE

edit:

http://www.cp24.com/lifestyle/human...g-all-day-breakfast-menu-in-ontario-1.3237513

WHEREEEEEeeeeeeee... abloo bloo blooo bloooo

I didn't see Toronto but saw Brampton and Mississauga and instantly got buttmad

Realistically, it's probably one of those things where either every location in the City of Toronto gets it, or none of them get it at all until they can somehow make it viable for all locations. Also we technically already have it downtown at Union Station and within First Canadian Place in Downtown Toronto.

farisr

So say I am one of the crazy people who managed to preorder a Switch on Amazon. Will I get charged immediately for it or what?
You only get charged when it ships. That's why you see people preordering a crap top on games during e3 deals and what not. You're not charged anything initially and can cancel anytime before it ships.

trebbble

Has anyone ordered games from Push Button Entertainment, on Bestbuy.ca? The seller has a few games I'm interested in getting but i've seen no reviews.

Yes. It's Video Games Plus. I ordered River City Tokyo Rumble from them and it wasn't what was listed. It took a while for them to own up to it, and to get a refund. I wouldn't recommend ordering from them.

Clive

Is there any word on when Switch pre-orders will go live anywhere or is it just "be ready"? I would expect some to go live either tonight or tomorrow but truth be told, I have never pre-ordered a console before.

Lexxism

Is there any word on when Switch pre-orders will go live anywhere or is it just "be ready"? I would expect some to go live either tonight or tomorrow but truth be told, I have never pre-ordered a console before.
No word on it. Just ready the f5 during the show

No word for the online ones. I'm hoping the time is announced before hand because if I wake up tomorrow morning and they're all gone already I'll be majorly bummed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom