• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone find me a long, reliable USC-C charger that works with the Switch's voltage? The one it comes with looks too short.

EDIT: Maybe a power bank that would work as well? This voltage stuff gives me a headache (being at work doesn't help).

Answer's probably obvious, but figured I might as well get it completely clear. The Amazon preorder price guarantee works for non-Prime members, right? I definitely remember ordering Breath of the Wild on Wii U for $64 last year (and that's what shows up on my order summary), and it's $80 now.

If it does then I'd be happy because it'd still be way cheaper than anywhere else ($71 after taxes) and I'm not in a rush to renew my Prime subscription, but I'm just worried about shipping speed.

Answer's probably obvious, but figured I might as well get it completely clear. The Amazon preorder price guarantee works for non-Prime members, right? I definitely remember ordering Breath of the Wild on Wii U for $64 last year (and that's what shows up on my order summary), and it's $80 now.

If it does then I'd be happy because it'd still be way cheaper than anywhere else ($71 after taxes) and I'm not in a rush to renew my Prime subscription, but I'm just worried about shipping speed.

It should. When I wasn't a Prime member it worked, and I haven't heard of them changing it!

mdubs

Banned
Those of you who went the BestBuy preorder route; are you confident you're getting your Switch delivered to you on launch day?

I have no idea. Their track record is pretty good with me though for Friday release stuff, but who really knows.

I am actually looking forward to the spectacle of all of the shipping posts next Thursday/Friday

No date for me on BotW SE yet and the Prime discount is only $8 ???

Amazon.. what the fuck sometimes..

Exactly same situation here..., I have the Switch itself preordered through Best Buy so Im preparing mentally to not have Zelda for a week after having the console itself, Shovel Knight it is...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is it showing 103.99?

Exactly.

QGSzZY6.png

I had to cancel my Bomberman preorder and put it in again because the rep said they couldn't do anything about it when they didn't match the discount after a price change (it was giving me a $1 discount).

I had to really hassle to get them to honour the LEGO City price after they bumped it up to nearly $40. Subbing to Prime basically means I save cash, but have 'some sort of issue' with every order.

protonium

I spoke with The Source for my Switch preorder. They couldn't confirm much beyond I'm in a "queue", it should ship on Mar 3 and arrive ~3 business days later...

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody knows a place to buy good jerky in Canada that's not too expensive?

I used to make bulk orders with coworkers on a us website but it's so expensive now with the shitty dollar that it's not really worth it anymore.

Anybody knows a place to buy good jerky in Canada that's not too expensive?

I used to make bulk orders with coworkers on a us website but it's so expensive now with the shitty dollar that it's not really worth it anymore.
The cheapest way is to buy a food dehydrator and make them yourself. The store bought stuff are waaaay too salty, you can tweak the recipe if you make your own. You can also use the dehydrator for yogurt, dried fruit etc.

Megasoum

Banned
The cheapest way is to buy a food dehydrator and make them yourself. The store bought stuff are waaaay too salty, you can tweak the recipe if you make your own. You can also use the dehydrator for yogurt, dried fruit etc.

Oh!... Never thought of doing that.

How simple is it to do? You just slice the raw meat, spice it and dump it in there?

Kiro

Anyone feeling more hesitant about purchasing the Switch after all these threads with issues?

Personally, I don't see any as a big deal. Just curious if anyone else does.

Oh!... Never thought of doing that.

How simple is it to do? You just slice the raw meat, spice it and dump it in there?

Pretty much. Very simple. Bought one from costco online. Seasoning from amazon.

Speaking of which, in store they have a couple of types of jerky at great prices.

Anyone feeling more hesitant about purchasing the Switch after all these threads with issues?

I am concerned about the left joy-con issue and that one outlet that had a problem with charging (seems to be isolated) but surprisingly my hype isn't diminished at all. I am there day one.

antibolo

Banned
I intend to use the Switch more as a portable than docked, so the sync issues aren't a deal breaker for me, but I do hope they'll be able to fix them via firmware updates.

Lexxism

No. The only thing to worry about is the left joycon sync issue. If no virtual console, BT headset, streaming media is a big deal for you then you shouldn't even bother getting the unit. Wait for Fall for real launch.

Wurdfurd

Amazon.ca still saying Mar 8-10 for my switch and BotW. Checked with their chat and they are telling me I wont get it on launch due to supply issues.

I literally F5'd the morning it went up and 1-click preordered. This is BS, definitely considering cancelling prime.

antibolo

Banned
Amazon.ca still saying Mar 8-10 for my switch and BotW. Checked with their chat and they are telling me I wont get it on launch due to supply issues.

I literally F5'd the morning it went up and 1-click preordered. This is BS, definitely considering cancelling prime.

The biggest non-Chinese online retailer in the world has "supply issues" for a major console release.

I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

Fuck you Amazon. If I don't get my copy of BotW at launch I'm definitely never going to renew my Prime subscription.

Amazon.ca still saying Mar 8-10 for my switch and BotW.

It's the same for all of us.

Checked with their chat and they are telling me I wont get it on launch due to supply issues.

They have no idea...

I literally F5'd the morning it went up and 1-click preordered.

Like most of us.

This is BS,

Of course.

definitely considering cancelling prime.

Sure.

Kiro

No. The only thing to worry about is the left joycon sync issue. If no virtual console, BT headset, streaming media is a big deal for you then you shouldn't even bother getting the unit. Wait for Fall for real launch.

True. Even the left joy con issue isn't a problem for me as I won't be playing it Joycon mode until there is a solution in place.

Wurdfurd

Update: The chat rep "upgraded" me to express shipping at no cost, and i quote:

"You will receive the package on the release date of March 03,2017."

Update 2: Rep upgraded both my switch console and BotW game orders to express shipping and is now guaranteeing they will be here March 3.

Palehorse

Wait, so some of you have actual delivery estimate times for BOTW? Mine still says they need time to figure it out. Is that good or bad?

I've got BOTW SE preordered via Amazon and the regular version via EB brick and mortar. Obviously I don't need both and it's probable the Amazon version won't get here day one. I have an inkling to keep the EB one and play it day one but return the packed in game in the SE to EB later....if it's sealed.

I realize I'm riding the razor's edge here, and I should just play it safe by cancelling the EB game and pack the Switch away in a closet for the week until the SE gets here.

Apples_89

Apologies if this has already been addressed before, but I have a legitimate question for anyone who is concerned about not receiving Day 1 shipments for any non-special edition of games from Amazon:

Why don't you guys just pre order a copy from EB Games/Best Buy, or walk into Wal Mart, buy a copy full price, play all you want until your Amazon copy arrives, then just return the unopened copy back to the retailer? It has the same SKU so all returns go through without a hitch, you can get the game Day 1, and still benefit from any associated discounts that Amazon provides...it's a win-win situation across the board. I've done this multiple times over the past couple of years and haven't had any issues yet.

Sealtest

Wait, so some of you have actual delivery estimate times for BOTW? Mine still says they need time to figure it out. .

My SE is still esimated. And after amazon.com cancelled my master edition this is the last chance I have at the shiekah case so I hope amazon isn't screwing around.

FN-2187

Apologies if this has already been addressed before, but I have a legitimate question for anyone who is concerned about not receiving Day 1 shipments for any non-special edition of games from Amazon:

Why don't you guys just pre order a copy from EB Games/Best Buy, or walk into Wal Mart, buy a copy full price, play all you want until your Amazon copy arrives, then just return the unopened copy back to the retailer? It has the same SKU so all returns go through without a hitch, you can get the game Day 1, and still benefit from any associated discounts that Amazon provides...it's a win-win situation across the board. I've done this multiple times over the past couple of years and haven't had any issues yet.

It's a little dishonest. And you know who wouldn't do that? Shane.

I've done it once or twice.

2 trips to a store, and there is always a chance that the SKU will be different if it's a store exclusive edition

lilty

Two trips to the store and dealing with associates/handling the return doesn't really seem worth it.

Kud Dukan

So what's the process for trading in a console to EB Games? I have a standard PS4 that I want to trade it, but I've never gone through the process. Just wipe the HDD, gather up the controller and cables, and bring it into the store?

trixx

Getting switch but worth getting switch version of zelda. My wii u version is $45 with the tax. Theoretically i could pay that + dlc for switch version of Zelda.

Don't care too much about playing Zelda on the go.

Apples_89

It's a little dishonest. And you know who wouldn't do that? Shane.

I've done it once or twice.
The dishonesty point always struck me as odd; you're literally purchasing and returning the exact same item. That being said, everyone's morals are different so it's really in the eye of the beholder.
The fact that you know who my avatar is puts you up in my books!

you also screw someone else out of a unit on launch day

If by 'unit' you are referring to consoles, then that is a completely different situation. The console serial number will be tied to the store so it won't work.

2 trips to a store, and there is always a chance that the SKU will be different if it's a store exclusive edition

Depending on how far away you'd need to travel, 2 trips to the store may be an issue, but chances are that there's one of those major retailers near a major resource hub in your city/town anyways which you'd need to visit twice within a month - just tie in your visits with trips you'd make regardless. As for store exclusive SKUs, this is almost never the case and easily avoidable if you know what you're buying.

Again, this is merely a suggestion for those games that you absolutely can't live without Day 1. Whether or not it is morally acceptable or worth it is completely up to you.

Madness

tumblr_n3hnca9oUK1qm8jfmo3_500.gif

Mass Effect Andromeda is one of the last E3 games from 2-3 years ago I have left and after my Gears 4 fiasco, they at least made it two day ship so I won't have to wait too long. But I'll never order a game off Amazon.ca again without Prime and even then, I would probably stick to a local retailer. It's not a question of waiting but the principle of Amazon purposely holding the games. After they cancelled my Gears 4 E3 order and stated it could not be shipped 'due to unforeseen circumstances', I had it reordered with next day ship and litetally an hour later it shipped and I got at 8 am the next morning. The savings no longer worth it to me to deal with Amazon Canada.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
In general, what place is better for trade-in values for games, best buy or eb? Best buy has their estimator online, eb does not... so it's hard to tell. (Talking newer games where the trade in value different may be significant)

antibolo

Banned

It's fraud, and pretty shitty to the retailer who has to deal with the processing overhead (especially if you didn't pay cash). You're essentially offloading Amazon's incompetence to them.

I'll probably do it for BotW but that's a special exception

Oneself

In general, what place is better for trade-in values for games, best buy or eb? Best buy has their estimator online, eb does not... so it's hard to tell. (Talking newer games where the trade in value different may be significant)
EB is pretty equal or better if you take advantage of the different promotions.

killroy87

It's fraud, and pretty shitty to the retailer who has to deal with the processing overhead. You're essentially offloading Amazon's incompetence to them.

I'll probably do it for BotW

If it's fraud, it's the most pedestrian, Sesame Street version of fraud that's ever existed.

Dazzler

Anyone know the best price on AC: Rogue for Xbox 360?

I see Amazon has it for 20 bucks, but wouldn't mind sourcing it cheaper

It got announced for Back compat today so I'm itching to play it

antibolo

Banned
But it's the exact same item.

No, it's not.

Semantics aside there is a cost to them for processing a return (especially if you paid via credit or debit). You are making them lose money over false claims.

Anyway I don't care if you do it, just saying it as it is. I'm sure Best Buy will survive.

zroid

Banned
Regarding the return "fraud" thing, I tend to think if you're doing it with two entirely different retailers, it's a little scummy (although I can't say I feel much guilt regardless).

But if you ordered something from Bestbuy.ca and then buy it from a Best Buy store, for example, then I don't see it as a problem. You're still giving them your money and the small inconvenience to them for having to process a return is comparable to the inconvenience to the customer of not receiving the item on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom