• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimsen

Umm what? Your words, not mine (in case a mod reads this, I never mentioned piracy at all).

I just assumed you can buy most those games on eshop or at a used game shop...

I don't want to buy a NES, or plug in my wii for this. Getting the systems to play them is in no way easier or cheaper.

Besides, aren't the emulations from the eshop supposed to be worse?

eShop is cheap now? Wtf

yeah WTH. That's why I though piracy. There's no way the eshop is cheaper lol.

Why did I go to SportChek's site? They have the white Leafs jersey from last year that I've been wanting to add to my collection for $50, plus ten percent off.

I'm already trying to find a good deal on the Centennial jersey, which is about $214...

BTails

Why did I go to SportChek's site? They have the white Leafs jersey from last year that I've been wanting to add to my collection for $50, plus ten percent off.

I'm already trying to find a good deal on the Centennial jersey, which is about $214...

Chewie, have you ordered from Real Sports before? If you sign up for their mailing list, they give you a 10% code. Probably the best you're going to do before the Centennial game on Jan 1, I would think.

I ordered the kit for my wife, Ladies Jersey plus toque, scarf and patch. With the code they gave me, it came to just over $200 shipped to me in Calgary.

2014: Ordered Smash 4 Wii U from them with free shipping and it came in alright.

2015: I ordered MGS Legacy from them about this time a year ago. Free shipping and it took 3+ weeks to arrive (I'm in Toronto). They gave me Infamous Second Son and by the time I got it, I noticed MGS Legacy was OoS so I just kept Infamous.

Thanks for the reply!

I guess that's to be expected from a smaller retailer.

Chewie, have you ordered from Real Sports before? If you sign up for their mailing list, they give you a 10% code. Probably the best you're going to do before the Centennial game on Jan 1, I would think.

I ordered the kit for my wife, Ladies Jersey plus toque, scarf and patch. With the code they gave me, it came to just over $200 shipped to me in Calgary.

Thanks for the tip

I actually ordered one from RealSports today, using PayPal. Then I realized that they don't come with the patch! You have to buy the patch separately for $20 plus tax, and it doesn't come sewn on the jersey.

I asked them if it came with it, they said no, so I asked for my order to be cancelled. Now I have the fun job of waiting for PayPal to take the money out of my bank, then issue me a refund.

ElNino

Is this the only option? ... Id ideally like to buy new.

Do they not sell new models?

...and are dongle macbooks really bad? Can I really not use headphones without one?
I bought my son a rMBP from the Apple Refurb site last year, and you'd never be able to tell that it wasn't new other than the box it was in.

There wasn't a single mark on it and the screen was perfect, with the plastic/paper wrapping on it. I would be hesitant to buy a refurb from Best Buy, EB, etc, but directly from Apple seems like a good bet. You also get the usual new warranty as well.

Is this the only option? ... Id ideally like to buy new.

Do they not sell new models?

...and are dongle macbooks really bad? Can I really not use headphones without one?

1. Every macbook has a 3.5mm headphone port.

2. Apple refurbs are about as well respected as it gets, if you buy from Apple. If you're not ready for USB C dongles, buying last year's model is a totally legit way to go.

3. The new MBPs don't really have a shorter cable, it's just that the tiny power brick Apple uses for the charger has two swappable pieces - one piece is the USB cable, and the other piece is the wall plug. You can remove the wall plug and (if you bought one) could put in a wall plug for any other region you travel to, which is handy.

Apple-power-adapter.png

You can still do that, but previous gen models included a wall plug piece that is really long, giving you another meter of room to plug in your Macbook. They no longer include this for free, so if you want the extra room it's $25 canadian. Example link)

There's nothing particularly special about it, and you might find a used extender somewhere else (they used to come with some iPads, even) but otherwise the brick plugs right into the wall and you're limited by the length of the USB cord.

BTails

Thanks for the tip

I actually ordered one from RealSports today, using PayPal. Then I realized that they don't come with the patch! You have to buy the patch separately for $20 plus tax, and it doesn't come sewn on the jersey.

I asked them if it came with it, they said no, so I asked for my order to be cancelled. Now I have the fun job of waiting for PayPal to take the money out of my bank, then issue me a refund.

Yeah, if you look at the "Survival Kit" which comes with the toque and scarf as well, it lists on the page "*Patches purchased in the Survival kit will be applied to the jersey on the right side."

That's probably what put me over the edge buying the kit vs just the jersey for my wife.

Sealtest

I can't remember, Does amazon usully try to match bestbuy/walmart black friday deals? I think I might finally buy super mario 3d land for $20 if they do.

People seems to be unable to sell them in my area(I even see some sealed bundles below msrp...).

They're selling well but not rare. Anyone can buy one at retail. No need to even look at kijijji or anything like that. Not surprised people hoping to resell aren't making their money back.

I bought my son a rMBP from the Apple Refurb site last year, and you'd never be able to tell that it wasn't new other than the box it was in.

There wasn't a single mark on it and the screen was perfect, with the plastic/paper wrapping on it. I would be hesitant to buy a refurb from Best Buy, EB, etc, but directly from Apple seems like a good bet. You also get the usual new warranty as well.

1. Every macbook has a 3.5mm headphone port.

2. Apple refurbs are about as well respected as it gets, if you buy from Apple. If you're not ready for USB C dongles, buying last year's model is a totally legit way to go.

3. The new MBPs don't really have a shorter cable, it's just that the tiny power brick Apple uses for the charger has two swappable pieces - one piece is the USB cable, and the other piece is the wall plug. You can remove the wall plug and (if you bought one) could put in a wall plug for any other region you travel to, which is handy.

You can still do that, but previous gen models included a wall plug piece that is really long, giving you another meter of room to plug in your Macbook. They no longer include this for free, so if you want the extra room it's $25 canadian. Example link)

There's nothing particularly special about it, and you might find a used extender somewhere else (they used to come with some iPads, even) but otherwise the brick plugs right into the wall and you're limited by the length of the USB cord.

Thank you very much. One big problem I am seeing is that last year's refurb model is only available in 128 GB Storage.

I am currently using 256 and almost maxed out. It seems 128 is very very low. Am I out of luck?

I cant afford the new models, which come in at $1900-$2000. But a refurb for $1300 sounds good enough, except for the storage

Yeah, if you look at the "Survival Kit" which comes with the toque and scarf as well, it lists on the page "*Patches purchased in the Survival kit will be applied to the jersey on the right side."

That's probably what put me over the edge buying the kit vs just the jersey for my wife.

I never really looked at the survival kit. I just want the jersey, so that's why I guess. But I did now.

For the jersey, with a discount from signing up for their mailer, I was looking at $218 and change, which is a lot of money. The local store said they'd probably be at $214, but I'd need to drive there a couple of times and it'd cost gas.

But you have to buy the patch separately and I don't know if they will put it on the jersey. Customer support didn't say so.

The survival kit is going to be over $300, which I can't justify. I don't want the toque or anything. I just want a jersey with the patch (all should have them, it's stupid) and Marner customization.

EDIT: Nevermind, it does say they will add it to the jersey.

farisr

PSVRs are usually available if you look. I don't know who is buying them at $1000.
Doubt anybody is, seeing as you can make your own bundle for that without any sales and still come out well below it.

If this is on amazon, I actually had looked into it to sell some of the extra ones I was going to have due to my brother and a couple of friends backing out. To break even I would've had to list a bundle at $930 due to fees. And that isn't factoring in shipping costs. So I can see why some of those listing are at that price, possibly hoping for some poor guy not aware of it being available in stores.

Decided on selling the launch bundles directly on kijiji at about $60 profit per unit over the regular price+tax (which is still way less than what a "create your own bundle" deal would cost someone), sold them all on the first day.

OK so it seems Im stuck with a Macbook Pro, 2015 model with 128 GB storage.

One last question, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Apple-Ma...144051?hash=item4d4f31c6f3:g:Y1AAAOSwyjBW7o95

Is this actually "new" or is it likely he is selling refurbs? Because this seller is offering a new 2015 model (128 GB) for cheaper than the same model, but refurbed, on Apple store

---

What are the best competitors to Macbook? Id like to stay below $1400. The big thing for me is that my 2010 model has been fairly fast for 6 years and the hardware has held up perfectly. I dont want something expensive that will break apart.

One last question, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Apple-Ma...144051?hash=item4d4f31c6f3:g:Y1AAAOSwyjBW7o95

Is this actually "new" or is it likely he is selling refurbs? Because this seller is offering a new 2015 model (128 GB) for cheaper than the same model, but refurbed, on Apple store

---

What are the best competitors to Macbook? Id like to stay below $1400. The big thing for me is that my 2010 model has been fairly fast for 6 years and the hardware has held up perfectly. I dont want something expensive that will break apart.

I really like my Asus Zenbook as a competitor to the Macbook.

Thank you very much. One big problem I am seeing is that last year's refurb model is only available in 128 GB Storage.

I am currently using 256 and almost maxed out. It seems 128 is very very low. Am I out of luck?

I cant afford the new models, which come in at $1900-$2000. But a refurb for $1300 sounds good enough, except for the storage

Well it depends what do you want? A full MBP? A MB Air? Lots of storage options for cheaper on the Air, though you don't get the Retina Screen. Otherwise yeah, you're out of luck through Apple's website, but they do seem to update stock frequently so you could just wait it out. Or check Best Buy, or Amazon, or eBay or anyone else that's an authorized reseller as there are always tons of older models floating around.

With a coupon code, I can get the jersey, Marner's name and number and the patch sewn on for $238. The local store said they'd be around $210 all in. I assume plus tax.

So it'd be the same, give or take a dollar.

theRizzle

Got a friend to pick up a Steam Link for $23.99 in-store at EB. Not really sure how much I'll use it but for $24 I'm willing to give it a shot.

RS4-

---

XPS 13.
And I think the Lenovo Yogas?

hilarious amount of them just got dumped on Vancouver Craigslist in the last hour

Seems like half the people who bought them, just did so to scalp them

I mean look at this asshole:

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/vgm/5889796945.html

Somebody reply and get this guys real name and cell number (and post it everywhere with this ad)...then we'll show him what $300 will get him.

EDIT: I'm only being half serious. I wouldn't troll him, but stuff like this pisses me off and I wouldn't mind seeing him get his.

bakuryu

Neo Member
You dont need it. Its a dumb gimmick for old people because Nintendo doesnt have anything else to sell this holiday season besides Sun&Moon.

I have kids and this sounds like a great way to introduce them to gaming with uncomplicated, straightforward, colorful games, for pretty cheap. Plus I know I,ll never have to monitor them while playing these, as they have barely any violence, ads, microtransactions, etc. So I jumped on it!

Probably legit, very likely is just unopened stock floating around. But it's ebay so you never know. Always use paypal so worst case you have a path to your money back. Always check their feedback too.

chrono01

The hell? My pre-order for the Collector's Edition of Tales of Berseria (Amazon,ca) was cancelled? They state the item won't be released after, which is bullshit, considering EBGames.ca (and Amazon.ca) still has the item listed, but of course they're out of stock. If I had known Amazon.ca would have done this, I would have pre-ordered at EBGames.ca instead. :/

Probably legit, very likely is just unopened stock floating around. But it's ebay so you never know. Always use paypal so worst case you have a path to your money back. Always check their feedback too.

Thanks.

Im seriously considering dropping Apple and going with XPS13 now. Seems like the best competitor on the market

For $1400-$1500, I can get 256 GB storage.

But Im really scared, mostly I guess because I associate Apple with premium device, and everyone else as lower tier. Is it built well enough to last 5+ years like my MBP?

Additionally, do you guys recommend i5 or i7? i7 processor is $100 more, but these laptops are on sale for $100-$200 off.

Sorry for all the questions guys.

Edit: Ugh. So I go on reddit and see a thread about a guy who has replaced his 4th XPS, and about how the carbonfiber finish gets greasy. Why does buying a laptop have to be so time consumingly difficult

But Im really scared, mostly I guess because I associate Apple with premium device, and everyone else as lower tier. Is it built well enough to last 5+ years like my MBP?

LOL well I would not expect a Dell to last that long. It could, I guess. But I expect the battery to go bad in a few and at some point I'd just rather have Apple + Applecare for the hassle free swap.

No need to go i7 unless you have a specific powerful app need.

Ryde3

fuck! been in the thread ALL day, and of course during my only meeting the NES gets a restock. ARGGGGH! (thanks for the heads up regardless guys.)

Dazzler

My aunty has asked me to keep a look out for a Hatchimal for her daughter to bring home with me to Ireland for Christmas.

Not a chance I'll be getting near one of those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom