• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a USB flash drive really work effectively? I dont like the idea of a USB sticking out of my Mac forever, but I could ideally store all my pics and videos on there, of which I dont really have many, and store it in a drawer instead.

I am trying to compromise if a 128 GB store would be enough for me, and right now, I have used only 104 GB of my 256 GB, with the ability to lower that by another 50 GB if I move all pics and videos to a flash drive. This is a 6-7 year old Macbook for the record, and I find my space is relatively low.

Tell me Im not being a big idiot for getting a ~$1400 Macbook refurb with half the storage of my current model.

Does that model have an SD Card slot?

There are Micro SD adapters designed specifically for Macbooks that don't stick out at all, designed pretty much for permanent insertion (they're cheapest on ebay). You could then pair that with a large micro sd.

Speeds wouldn't be as good as an SSD but it's a lot easier to change out as SD card sizes increase.

kennah

Would a USB flash drive really work effectively? I dont like the idea of a USB sticking out of my Mac forever, but I could ideally store all my pics and videos on there, of which I dont really have many, and store it in a drawer instead.

I am trying to compromise if a 128 GB store would be enough for me, and right now, I have used only 104 GB of my 256 GB, with the ability to lower that by another 50 GB if I move all pics and videos to a flash drive. This is a 6-7 year old Macbook for the record, and I find my space is relatively low.

Tell me Im not being a big idiot for getting a ~$1400 Macbook refurb with half the storage of my current model.
What's your current model?
Edit. Ah. I see 6-7 years.

The USB I linked earlier doesn't stick out far at all. It slips in and out of my bag really easily.

Yeah, this started happening to me at the start of the year as well and hasn't stopped since.

On the plus side we get to save lots of money this way :p

Fuck, I hate PSN. I am just straight up incapable of purchasing anything on that site anymore, every time I try to process payment I get an error. That's through Paypal, Visa, and Mastercard. Now my only option is buying PSN cards all the time, which is a major pain in the ass.

It's suuuuuper frustrating.

Does you CC info EXACTLY match the info on your account?

I'm looking for solutions for you, and it seems to be a problem for other users too

Im reading that if you try to purchase something twice and fail, PSN silently bans the attempt for 24 hours, and then 48 hours, etc., so if you keep trying, you are adding to your time out session.

http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/Credit-card-issue-BOA/td-p/45234933

http://community.us.playstation.com...y-anything-at-Playstation-Store/td-p/45622372

Flash sale deals starting to pop up on PSN.

Doom is $26.99. Skyrim is $39.99

Hold on to your wallets.

Edit: Don't forget the 10% off code.

Welp, I got a N3DS! Had to go to two stores, but I got one.

The SuperCentre nearly nextdoor to me had zero. They got zero in, according to the CSR. He said that one of the city stores 20 minutes away had apparently gotten stock but was likely sold out.

When I talked to customer service, I asked if they could check another store. She said no, I'd have to drive there. But she double-checked their stock.

Anyways, the second store (in-between the one he mentioned and where I went to; it's an old Zellers actually and doesn't get as much traffic) was where I tried first, and they had several. I only saw white, and ended up deciding I'd be fine with that since my N3DSXL is black and the white does look nice. But there was a black behind the first white and she grabbed me that when asked.

The girl was really nice and asked me if I wanted a charger. I'd forgotten I'd need one, and appreciated it. She mentioned how there's not one in the box, which I knew (and is very fucking stupid).

I have a charger, but only bought another because of my OCD. I can take the old charger anywhere, and keep this one clean.

I used $140 worth of credit I had left and then paid the rest. It was like $28. Got an XL Coca Cola shirt for $7, too, though I shouldn't boast about how much Coke I drink because it's destroyed my teeth and made me afraid to go to the dentist.

I wanted to get a Magma Red DS4, but they only had the old models. I traded mine in with my PS4, because it was the only used controller I had. I'd previously sold my black one for $45 to pay most of the red off.

The only other DS4 I have is an unused COD BO3

How come you're exchanging it?

All along, I wanted Sun over Moon because of the legendary on the cover. I assumed the Moon one was psychic and the Sun one was something else. (Can you tell that I didn't follow the games closely yet?)

I then read a Kotaku article that was written in a way that made it seem like Moon took place solely at night. I haven't played much Pokemon in a long time (since White 2, really), and didn't know the games used real-life time and that these two were just separated by 12 hours.

I bought Moon before discovering that via a GAF reply, and decided to return it in exchange for Sun. I'm a night owl, so I thought I'd get the night one if it took place solely at night. But if I played Moon at night, it'd be day, and if I play Sun at night like I probably will a lot, it'll be night.

When I went to WM, I got a really nice CSR. She told me to go to the back to get one brought up and she'd do the exchange, as I had a receipt. And when I went back, it was the guy who was once grumpy, but is actually really nice (he's helped me out a couple of times since and gone out of his way to check stock). I had to wait a while for him to get someone to cover him, since WM won't let a customer carry a video game until it's purchased, then he walked it up for me.

And, lo and behold, when I got down there, the grumpy one from the other day who was bitchy with me was there and tried the return. But she screwed up and the computer defaulted to as if I wanted the protection guarantee, she said she was pissed off and then sent me to her coworker.

Does that model have an SD Card slot?

There are Micro SD adapters designed specifically for Macbooks that don't stick out at all, designed pretty much for permanent insertion (they're cheapest on ebay). You could then pair that with a large micro sd.

Speeds wouldn't be as good as an SSD but it's a lot easier to change out as SD card sizes increase.

Built-in Memory Card Reader, and "SDHC" Memory Card Reader-Compatible Memory Type.

What's your current model?
Edit. Ah. I see 6-7 years.

The USB I linked earlier doesn't stick out far at all. It slips in and out of my bag really easily.

Thank you again for that. Seems like a solid choice. Are they better than SD Cards? SD Cards seem more discreet.

Ultimately, would you guys recommend a Macbook at 128 GB?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=8522414ca68c6cb02b0614ec275cb43fen02

The only real reason I want this now is because I worry it will be harder to find a year or two from now, and they currently are the cheapest model without all the worry about buying dongles (Since new Macs dont have USB slots or ports to connect to HDMI TV)

kennah

Built-in Memory Card Reader, and "SDHC" Memory Card Reader-Compatible Memory Type.

Thank you again for that. Seems like a solid choice. Are they better than SD Cards? SD Cards seem more discreet.

Ultimately, would you guys recommend a Macbook at 128 GB?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=8522414ca68c6cb02b0614ec275cb43fen02

The only real reason I want this now is because I worry it will be harder to find a year or two from now, and they currently are the cheapest model without all the worry about buying dongles (Since new Macs dont have USB slots or ports to connect to HDMI TV)
The USB is faster than the sd adaptor. I'm eventually going to add one of those myself, just haven't gotten around to it.

And you're buying the exact model I use myself for work and intend to keep for at least a few more years.

Edit. Don't get it from Best Buy. Buy the refurb from apple.

PSN:

FIFA 17 $47.99
COD IW Legacy Edition $82.49
Rise of Tomb Raider: $52.79
Battlefield 1: $53.59
Titanfall 2 $47.99
The Division: $33.49
Madden 17 $47.99
NHL 17 $47.99

Dazzler

Chewie - I'm playing through Moon at the moment and it's bugging me how characters will refer to me as "being out very late" all the time, even though I'm playing at 8am on the bus

But cant you use that 10% promo code Sony is giving?

I dont know if I can afford $50 when Im dead set on paying $80 to get The Last Guardian (unless I miraculously get it for cheaper on launch day)

Here you go buddy:

586yOCCl.png

Is there.. a flash sale category somewhere?

It's still being updated. The page will be up in an hour or so.

Edit: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/flash-sale/cid=STORE-MSF77008-FLASHSALEPS4GAM

wmlk

Kinda wish I just waited for the cheaper Slim this weekend instead of getting the Pro via trade-in. Mostly just gonna play exclusives and don't really care for the extra power nor do I have a 4K TV. Maybe i'll feel better once we get better Pro enhanced games but right now, the extra pocket money and Uncharted 4 would be nice.

And no, you're not gonna bait me into buying a 4K TV!

This is pretty much what I'm doing. I wanted a Pro, but with me not having 4K and HDR, and knowing that it's really not that necessary, I decided not to get it.

There was an amazing deal with the U4 PS4 Slim bundle for $360 + a $100 gift card at SDM. I missed that, so I'm having to settle for the $330 deal coming this Black Friday. Blah.

Here you go buddy:

It's still being updated. The page will be up in an hour or so.

Thanks dude :)

The USB is faster than the sd adaptor. I'm eventually going to add one of those myself, just haven't gotten around to it.

And you're buying the exact model I use myself for work and intend to keep for at least a few more years.

Edit. Don't get it from Best Buy. Buy the refurb from apple.

OK :)

In that case, I think Ill jump on board the 128 GB model, but will wait to see if a 256 GB model pops up on the refurb store. Doesnt seem this is affected by Black Friday, so I should be okay.

You guys rock, thanks for all the help

Sure seems like PSN wins Black Friday. No tax and an additional 10% off puts it over the top. Assuming you're okay with digital of course.

Looking at Doom Tomb Raider and Bioshock collection. Maybe DQ:Builders.

N° 2048

Doom or Titanfall 2...? I got a 20% off code to use + $7 credit.

Choices..waiting a few hours for full store update though.

Guys so I know they are different types of games but ....on psn should I get BF1 or Titanfall 2?

Would wholeheartedly recommend T2 over B1. Both are good games; T1 has a great single player mode and amazing multiplayer; while B1 has a very forgettable single player mode and the same great multiplayer it's always had.

If single player mode doesn't matter to you (they are both only under 5 or so hours) I'd say look at the multiplayer like this:

T2: Matches are less than 10 minutes.
B1: Matches can be VERY LONG (30 minutes or more).

No_Style

Doom or Titanfall 2...? I got a 20% off code to use + $7 credit.

Choices..waiting a few hours for full store update though.

Assuming you want to play multiplayer, I'd get TitanFall 2 on PSN.

And then pick up Doom for $24.99 (50% off) at EB Games tomorrow. Then trade it in once you're done with the campaign.

Moltenix

Assuming you want to play multiplayer, I'd get TitanFall 2 on PSN.

And then pick up Doom for $24.99 (50% off) at EB Games tomorrow. Then trade it in once you're done with the campaign.

How is replayability of DOOM?

Debating if I should get Steam version or get the physical console version at EB and trading/selling it when finished if it's more of a "one and done" kinda game.

Doom is still my game of the year at this point.

I don't really play the multiplayer though. I can see some wanting to go back to the single player for another play through. I have had the urge myself. It's so much fun.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone aware of a place online that's selling eshop cards at a discount? I'm gonna buy some anyway, just don't want to jump the gun and get them at full price if there's a deal somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom