• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa97

Damn, I am tempted to do this. I have the original PS4 that makes a weird buzzing noise from the power cord when it is off, and it can get hot/loud while playing. For $99 I would get a brand-new upgraded console, Uncharted 4 (ehh, but decent), and Overwatch (the only one on the list that I would play). But you're saying because Overwatch is $79.99, I could potentially get any $79.99 game, or does TLG have some special trade-in deal?

No this isn't standard policy. It's just that I told the guy that I wasn't interested in any of the games and he told me to get Overwatch as it's the game with the highest market value. Told him I wasn't interested in Overwatch and wish I could get a game like FF XV or TLG instead. He went to talk to his manager and told me that we could figure something out and they'd probably let me get TLG instead of overwatch as they're selling both games for the same price and they won't discount Overwatch for some time (big seller).

No this isn't standard policy. It's just that I told the guy that I wasn't interested in any of the games and he told me to get Overwatch as it's the game with the highest market value. Told him I wasn't interested in Overwatch and wish I could get a game like FF XV or TLG instead. He went to talk to his manager and told me that we could figure something out and they'd probably let me get TLG instead of overwatch as they're selling both games for the same price and they won't discount Overwatch for some time (big seller).

Ahh, I see. I guess if I decide to do it I will try and see if they would give FF XV instead. Otherwise I would just go with Overwatch, unless I should go with the highest valued game (Watchdogs 2?) and trade/sell on Kijji.

Wonder if I should also trade in my Xbox One. I got it last year for Christmas, and I haven't used it a ton. Having the white console + upgraded console would be nice. It doesn't specify which console unlike the PlayStation being 500 GB, so maybe it is possible to pick a bundle?

NBA League pass free for the season + playoffs

https://watch.nba.com/secure/subscription?sku=BLPPANNUAL

You don't have to enter any credit card info

21B00F2C-9EA8-4599-9CD3-6B5CF364D7E1.png

I'm being prompted for credit card info.

nschizo

I just call to my closest ebgames, they does not know about the promotion (console exchange). But tomorrow morning I will go for sure and any additional information about platinum required I will post here.

I called and they said it's not required hmmm

Did you specifically ask if the $99 promo is plat only? The trade in deal isn't exclusive to platinum, it's getting the deal at $99 that is. On the website it doesn't say it, but there's conveniently an asterisks beside the sentence:

Get a 500GB PlayStation 4 Slim Console, Uncharted 4, Biogenik Thumb Grips, and a select bonus game of your choice for only $99.99 when your trade your original PlayStation 4 500GB Console!*

Yet no where on the page is there an explanation for what the fine print tied to it is.

Mimosa97

Ahh, I see. I guess if I decide to do it I will try and see if they would give FF XV instead. Otherwise I would just go with Overwatch, unless I should go with the highest valued game (Watchdogs 2?) and trade/sell on Kijji.

Wonder if I should also trade in my Xbox One. I got it last year for Christmas, and I haven't used it a ton. Having the white console + upgraded console would be nice. It doesn't specify which console unlike the PlayStation being 500 GB, so maybe it is possible to pick a bundle?

He told me Overwatch had a higher market value than WD2 and the game is so popular it won't get a major discount time soon. Pretty much à la GTA5. You'll get small discounts here and there (like during BF when the game was around 50-55$ if i remember correctly but that's about it)

nschizo

Another detail if somebody know, the promotion said "Get an Xbox One S Console" but Its not specified which one, that mean I could select between any 500gb bundle?

Moltenix

He told me Overwatch had a higher market value than WD2 and the game is so popular it won't get a major discount time soon. Pretty much à la GTA5. You'll get small discounts here and there (like during BF when the game was around 50-55$ if i remember correctly but that's about it)

EB had Overwatch for $40 during Black Friday.

m23

Did you specifically ask if the $99 promo is plat only? The trade in deal isn't exclusive to platinum, it's getting the deal at $99 that is. On the website it doesn't say it, but there's conveniently an asterisks beside the sentence:

Yet no where on the page is there an explanation for what the fine print tied to it is.

True. Can't you just buy a platinum card though if it is required to get the extra credit?
How much does that cost?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, I meant, you COULD transfer just as easy as that.
Too tired, sorry.

Oh haha, thanks.

Now you've just made my decision harder. I don't think I should be spending $100 to upgrade considering the only notable thing is 4k support, which I couldn't take advantage of. Oh and also the platinum thing.

RS4-

And what are the benefits? I mean actual benefits that people would use not the bullshit marketing benefits.

I think it's an extra 10? 15? percent on trade-ins. It's somewhere on their site. I only got it because I was trading in a bunch of stuff and my friend who is district manager just told me I'd get extra money out of it even after buying platinum. So it worked out.

Even though I've bought one thing at EB since I got plat. 8 months ago lol, and that was the steam link a few weeks ago.

edit - looking at the site, it looks like bonus tradein is only for onyx now? https://www.ebgames.ca/aboutUs

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh haha, thanks.

Now you've just made my decision harder. I don't think I should be spending $100 to upgrade considering the only notable thing is 4k support, which I couldn't take advantage of. Oh and also the platinum thing.
Well, it does improve some games pretty well, games that are usually 30fps but sometimes fall to 25-27fps. Back compat games benefit pretty nicely as well.
Then it is also sexy as hell, so depending on how much you value aesthetics.

lucypirates

Unconfirmed Member

If you're a Shaw TV subscriber, if you get the NBA TV (SD quality) channel ($3/month) NBA League Pass is free on their PPV HD channels (350+). It used to be completely free with their Shaw Friends promo for the last 6 years, this year Shaw Friends has been axed however.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it does improve some games pretty well, games that are usually 30fps but sometimes fall to 25-27fps. Back compat games benefit pretty nicely as well.
Then it is also sexy as hell, so depending on how much you value aesthetics.

It definitely is sexy, and again, I'd love to get a new controller, but I have to consider how much I value an extra $100 that I could spend on games(well more like 1 game) instead.

Anyway, thanks for all of the responses.

So did you just give in your og xbone 500gb and just pay the $99?

I assume they check if it works and all that?
I gave an original 500gb Xbox one black console with the power cable, 1 controller, and the HDMI cable it came with. They looked at mine but didn't test it, and I paid $99 plus tax on the $99 and got the most basic Xbox One s, no bundle, plus that gift card info on the receipt.

sh1fty

Most likely going to jump on that PS4 Slim deal when I get back from my business trip... I've put alot of hours on my launch PS4 and controllers so it wouldn't hurt to get some new hardware for longevity purposes.... Getting Uncharted and Watch Dogs 2 thrown in makes the deal even sweeter too.

Now I just need to figure out how much internet bandwidth I'm going to waste re-downloading things like Deus Ex, Destiny & Until Dawn... and figuring out my personal information is properly wiped from the old PS4.

m23

I gave an original 500gb Xbox one black console with the power cable, 1 controller, and the HDMI cable it came with. They looked at mine but didn't test it, and I paid $99 plus tax on the $99 and got the most basic Xbox One s, no bundle, plus that gift card info on the receipt.

Cool thanks for the info. I thought all S consoles come with a game though. Not a deal breaker either way.

Sealtest

Mynintendo point question.

With the new Ontario bill of not being able to make our reward points expire would this fall under that category? I'm confused on if the reward point bill is just for programs that run in Ontario or worldwide.

mf.luder

Just did the EB Games trade in for the PS4 Slim.

They did not say anything about platinum. I got the Slim and Deus Ex for $103 TOTAL. I got extra credit since I never had an edge card. I'm pretty happy I'd say.

BdYusk2.jpg

nschizo

Just did xbox one to xbox one s, no platinium required, just the basic 500gb. Not so amazing deal but I was looking to buy a new xbox controller and for 40 bucks more I get a brand new slim console.

PlayerOne

Banned
question:

Does anyone have any experience with Intelcom Courier?

They are the ones shipping my FFXV and TLG order. :O

I have read some very negative reviews...

Robert807

For the people that are mailing in their receipt for the e dinning card worth 50$ it only took eb games 16 days for them to email my e card promotion. That with sending it out with normal Canada post mail. So it's not to long.

nschizo

question:

Maybe I am very lucky but I did not have problem with Intelcom Courier, amazon send me a couple of package with them and I receive everything perfect, but maybe I am just lucky.

question:

They are far from perfect & their tracking is not good however my personal experience has been good. Packages always show up around 6 to 7 pm & I've always been present.

Sora_N

Is the PS4 slim loud as hell like my launch unit?

I like the launch unit design but I can barely play stuff due to the sound and it gets hot too.

Is the PS4 slim loud as hell like my launch unit?

I like the launch unit design but I can barely play stuff due to the sound and it gets hot too.

This was the main reason why I decided I am going to trade in my PS4. Loud while on, is hot, and has a buzzing noise from the power cable when off. Getting 2 games that still go for a good value for $100 ($70 after my gift card) already makes it worth it, and then I also get a brand new PS4 that will last longer than my current one.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Are OG PS4s prone to break? I'm tempted to do the trade for a slim just in the hope it would last longer than my old console, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. It looks like the days of consoles breaking after a couple of years might finally be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom