• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
So quick question.

I have it on mobile and added the channel.

I'm looking for a switch. Is there instructions for the push notifications? New to discord. Kinda no idea what I'm doing.
Click on the channel "dealbot-rollcall" and type "!rank Switch Hunt"

Make sure push notifications are enabled on your phone through your phones settings. When you have Discord open on your browser or computer app, you won't get notifications on your phone. So make sure you are completely logged out of Discord from your browser when you leave.

Mikey Jr.

Click on the channel "dealbot-rollcall" and type "!rank Switch Hunt"

Make sure push notifications are enabled on your phone through your phones settings. When you have Discord open on your browser or computer app, you won't get notifications on your phone. So make sure you are completely logged out of Discord from your browser when you leave.

Thank you sir.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
$200? Damn. Can this be put towards X1X? You think they'll have something better for X1X pre-order promo?

I heard the CSR at my EB telling someone to preorder the PS4 Pro Destiny bundle for now and then transfer it over when the X1X becomes available.

Edit: The guys at my EB always tell people to preorder stuff. I don't know if its to drive up their preorder numbers or what but when people aren't sure what to spend their trade credit on, they always recommend preordering something instead of putting it on a card.

What's wrong, you dissolve under water?
Pfftt.

No but getting your clothes wet sucks, having to carry an umbrella around sucks and most importantly if you wear glasses like me, the rain absolutely sucks.

Qwyjibo

Since I lucked out on a super-cheap PS4 Pro, I've been waiting on a something like this to sell my OG PS4. $200 and not having to deal with people on Kijiji? Sold.

they always recommend preordering something instead of putting it on a card.
Unless there's a promotion, why? I have ~$110 just sitting in credit for whatever with EB right now and will add this.

Since I lucked out on a super-cheap PS4 Pro, I've been waiting on a something like this to sell my OG PS4. $200 and not having to deal with people on Kijiji? Sold.

Unless there's a promotion, why? I have ~$110 just sitting in credit for whatever with EB right now and will add this.

They told me to put it on something else yesterday. The only time you should be concerned with a promotion is when that promotion concerns trading in towards something specific. Like if you are getting a double credit for trading in towards certain Switch games. They don't want you moving that credit to non-Switch stuff afterwards.

In this case, you're simply getting double credit for trading on that day so you should be able to move it to other products.

I wanted to put my credit towards an Xbox One X so I put it down on the Destiny 2 PS4 Pro for now until Xbox One X preorders are available.

I heard the CSR at my EB telling someone to preorder the PS4 Pro Destiny bundle for now and then transfer it over when the X1X becomes available.

Edit: The guys at my EB always tell people to preorder stuff. I don't know if its to drive up their preorder numbers or what but when people aren't sure what to spend their trade credit on, they always recommend preordering something instead of putting it on a card.

The reason they tell you to do this is because you lose the extra credit on tax if you put it on a giftcard. When you put the credit directly on a product in store you are not taxed on the amount credited. If you have $50 in credit and put it directly on a $79 game you are only taxed on the remaining $29. If you put your $50 credit on a gift card and then come back and put it towards a $79 game you are taxed on the entire $79. It used to not be that way. It might still be a way to drive up preorder numbers in the long run but it's sound strategy and you would be using the credit there either way.

firelogic

Credit towards a pre-order brings the total down before taxes. Credit from a card goes towards the amount after taxes.

(That's what I was told, at least.)

Yeah that's how it works. Save a little more by keeping the credit in the system and not on a card. It doesn't even have to be a preorder. You can trade something in and immediately buy something and the credit amount will be deducted before applying the tax. As long as the amount is swimming around in their computers that's how it works. As soon as you move it out onto a card (which is technically still in their system, I know) the amount is deducted after tax.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The reason they tell you to do this is because you lose the extra credit on tax if you put it on a giftcard. When you put the credit directly on a product in store you are not taxed on the amount credited. If you have $50 in credit and put it directly on a $79 game you are only taxed on the remaining $29. If you put your $50 credit on a gift card and then come back and put it towards a $79 game you are taxed on the entire $79. It used to not be that way. It might still be a way to drive up preorder numbers in the long run but it's sound strategy and you would be using the credit there either way.

I know that but its not like EB employees to go out of their way to be helpful. Even the manager tells people to preorder stuff and move it instead of loading it on the card.

I know that but its not like EB employees to go out of their way to be helpful. Even the manager tells people to preorder stuff and move it instead of loading it on the card.
It really depends on the store. There are two in Kingston, and they are like night and day. One is like stepping foot into hell - the employees are inattentive and slow, and they treat you like scum if you don't go for any of their attempts to upsell. Honestly the worst customer service experience I've had. I always tell people to avoid that place, and go to the other one instead. The other one is where they told me to just keep my credit stored on a pre-order to avoid paying more taxes. They still try to sell me on pre-orders, deals, and warranty - but they are really respectful about it. I even told them that I prefer to pre-order games on Amazon to get the 20% off and they basically agreed that it was a good deal and that if I ever want to trade in a game to drop by. I almost feel bad for not buying most of my games from them. If they were a locally owned business, I'd totally be willing to spend a little extra to help them out.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
They also want it on a preorder because it makes the numbers for the employees and the store look better to corporate.

Moltenix

Tempted to ditch my OG XB1 at EB for the $200. Between my PS4 Pro, Switch and PC, the xbox really hasn't seen the light of day for months now. With things like Forza and Origin Access available on PC these days, there really isn't much use for it.

Not sure what i'd use the $200 credits for though. I have most of my wanted upcoming games preordered at Amazon already and they don't really tend to have good sales at EB.

c-murph

Tempted to ditch my OG XB1 at EB for the $200. Between my PS4 Pro, Switch and PC, the xbox really hasn't seen the light of day for months now. With things like Forza and Origin Access available on PC these days, there really isn't much use for it.

Not sure what i'd use the $200 credits for though. I have most of my wanted upcoming games preordered at Amazon already and they don't really tend to have good sales at EB.

Maybe try kijiji for cash?

Kiro

Heyo, my girlfriend is moving to the US for a few years (Indiana). Does anyone have any suggestions for phone plans? She would like to be able to use it when she comes back for Christmas in Canada and what not too.

Any suggestions? She's currently with Bell.

F4r0_Atak

Question for you guys... is play-asia good and safe place to import games? Because I wanted to order Dragon Quest XI for PS4 (no way I am waiting 1 year and a half for them to translate it) and I don't known if the tax and the import/duty fee are ridiculous on play-asia.

lilty

Question for you guys... is play-asia good and safe place to import games? Because I wanted to order Dragon Quest XI for PS4 but I don't known if the tax and the import/duty fee are ridiculous on play-asia.

I've ordered from Play-Asia a few times and have never had a problem. Whether you get hit with import fees is honestly up to chance. Of the three times I've ordered with them I've been hit with customs once. I think it was around $15?

If I were you I'd just go with Amazon.jp if they're shipping that to Canada. You pay the import fee up front, its packaged way nicer than PA, and their shipping is insanely fast.

F4r0_Atak

I've ordered from Play-Asia a few times and have never had a problem. Whether you get hit with import fees is honestly up to chance. Of the three times I've ordered with them I've been hit with customs once. I think it was around $15?

If I were you I'd just go with Amazon.jp if they're shipping that to Canada. You pay the import fee up front, its packaged way nicer than PA, and their shipping is insanely fast.

I know for Amazon.jp, but I already checked and they don't have Amazon Global for Dragon Quest XI at all... that's why. I would have ordered it if they did. :(

Also... how much time does it take to receive something from play-asia?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know for Amazon.jp, but I already checked and they don't have Amazon Global for Dragon Quest XI at all... that's why. I would have ordered it if they did. :(

Also... how much time does it take to receive something from play-asia?
Packages from Asia can be delayed from time to time. I had a package held up for 3 months and there was nothing anyone could do... if you want it fast, I would either pay for the expensive shipping (and potentially get hit with customs fees) or find a Japanese retailer who uses EMS.

Heyo, my girlfriend is moving to the US for a few years (Indiana). Does anyone have any suggestions for phone plans? She would like to be able to use it when she comes back for Christmas in Canada and what not too.

Any suggestions? She's currently with Bell.

If she spends a majority of her time in the US, then she should just sign up with a US carrier. I assume they have roaming plans.

Fularu

Banned
Question for you guys... is play-asia good and safe place to import games? Because I wanted to order Dragon Quest XI for PS4 (no way I am waiting 1 year and a half for them to translate it) and I don't known if the tax and the import/duty fee are ridiculous on play-asia.

By the time you get your package from Play-Asia (customs will hold it for months) the game will be out in english

Just order it from amazon or pay for the fast shipping on Play-Asia. (Also nothing wrong with PA per se, but a lot of drugs are comming from Asia through mail and customs are checking them. PA beeing based in Honk-Kong and using Singapore Post means you'll wait at least 2 months between the shipping notice and you getting your item).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Can someone help me to get / enter the Discord channel?

Thx!

Canadian Deals GAF Discord V1.0 is go! (Quote to reveal Link)

Now features:
  • Custom Notifications (Divided by Console/Theme/Hunt)
  • Provincial Rank/Role notifications (For retail store offerings in your area)
  • Full mobile support & push notifications.
  • More Bot Features coming soon.
If anyone has any suggestions or feedback, please contact us through discord or reply to this post.

CazTGG

What are the good 1TB SSDs to get these days, Samsung, Corsair?

Depends on the format i.e. m.2, 2.5, etc. but Samsung is generally a good brand to go with. My laptop has a 1TB m.2 Samsung 850 for media storage and it's does its job quite well.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Depends on the format i.e. m.2, 2.5, etc. but Samsung is generally a good brand to go with. My laptop has a 1TB m.2 Samsung 850 for media storage and it's does its job quite well.
Hmmmmmm, seems there’s new shit since I last bought an SSD, m.2 and NVMe eh??
The regular SSDs are already fast enough for me, games load fast, I’ll probably get another one of those since they are cheaper.

I have a 512gb m.2 samsung 950 Pro, of course like 2 weeks after I bought it they released the 960 Pro. It was expensive as hell but it's stupid fast and makes me not want to die loading up thousands of thumbnails in lightroom anymore lol

Hmmmmmm, seems there’s new shit since I last bought an SSD, m.2 and NVMe eh??
The regular SSDs are already fast enough for me, games load fast, I’ll probably get another one of those since they are cheaper.

I didn't bother going with m.2 when I built my Ryzen 1600 rig. It's quite a bit more expensive and the 840 Evo I'm using in my old system is plenty fast as it is. The major improvement would be putting my game library on an SSD, which frankly isn't going to happen anytime soon--too many games, or too much micromanagement required to fit things on the SSD and leave enough space available for optimal speeds.

DJ_Lae

I currently have an assortment of SSDs in my various computers - Samsung 850 Evo in my daughter's laptop, 840 in my wife's PC, and two Crucial MX300s in my own PC and laptop.

None of them are M.2s, which still seem to be really unnecessary unless you have a laptop that does not have a standard size drive or you absolutely must not have another cable coming out of your motherboard.

I don't know if there are any new must-have SSDs but the MX300 and 850 Evo seemed to be the best buys at the time and still frequently go on sale.

I currently have an assortment of SSDs in my various computers - Samsung 850 Evo in my daughter's laptop, 840 in my wife's PC, and two Crucial MX300s in my own PC and laptop.

None of them are M.2s, which still seem to be really unnecessary unless you have a laptop that does not have a standard size drive or you absolutely must not have another cable coming out of your motherboard.

I don't know if there are any new must-have SSDs but the MX300 and 850 Evo seemed to be the best buys at the time and still frequently go on sale.

Yeah this is accurate. FWIW I've had a crucial and toshiba for 4 years and both are fine. SSD is good reliable technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom