• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventara

Guys, what's the best way to buy something from Amazon (US) with Paypal? Got some US funds on there I want to use. I'm hoping there's a place I can buy Amazon gift cards with PP without paying some fee.

eyesradar

The reason they tell you to do this is because you lose the extra credit on tax if you put it on a giftcard. When you put the credit directly on a product in store you are not taxed on the amount credited. If you have $50 in credit and put it directly on a $79 game you are only taxed on the remaining $29. If you put your $50 credit on a gift card and then come back and put it towards a $79 game you are taxed on the entire $79. It used to not be that way. It might still be a way to drive up preorder numbers in the long run but it's sound strategy and you would be using the credit there either way.

This joey guy in my local EB Told me that the trade-in credits toward pre-orders are no-longer remaining tax-ed due to their policy. Traded something towards FIFA switch during the double up event. Had around 9 bucks balance and was told to pay $~20ish to get the game paid off.

Is that just his own b/s or that is indeed their new thing? Because apparently it wasn't the case a few months ago.

Ventara

This joey guy in my local EB Told me that the trade-in credits toward pre-orders are no-longer remaining tax-ed due to their policy. Traded something towards FIFA switch during the double up event. Had around 9 bucks balance and was told to pay $~20ish to get the game paid off.

Is that just his own b/s or that is indeed their new thing? Because apparently it wasn't the case a few months ago.

Pretty sure he was BS'ing you, though I wouldn't know how to argue against it. I guess try to avoid that EB from now on.

I don't see why they would make that change, but I also don't get how that guy would otherwise add the extra money onto your receipt or why. Maybe he just didn't apply the credit correctly and treated it as a gift card rather than credit? Maybe he's a scummy manager or friends with one? Further research is required.

ys45

Hey guys, I just noticed something on Amazon , I went to preorder Blue Reflection the game is 69.99 being a prime member I'm getting 20% .

So final price is something like 73$ And then I'm like WTF this is the price I get when I buy 79.99 games .

Just for a test I went ahead and ordered a 79.99 game and the final price is the same ?

So is that an error or is it Amazon being stupid again and shady ?
I mean do they lower the percentage of the prime discount for lower priced games or what ?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Hey guys, I just noticed something on Amazon , I went to preorder Blue Reflection the game is 69.99 being a prime member I'm getting 20% .

So final price is something like 73$ And then I'm like WTF this is the price I get when I buy 79.99 games .

Just for a test I went ahead and ordered a 79.99 game and the final price is the same ?

So is that an error or is it Amazon being stupid again and shady ?
I mean do they lower the percentage of the prime discount for lower priced games or what ?
Prime discount is off the List Price which is $79.99.

The 20% discount applies to an item's List Price and does not apply to an item's already discounted price.

F4r0_Atak

Just a question for you, did you buy anything else while you did your preorder for the Fifa on Switch? Because if you did, trade-ins are applied to actual purchases first and then to preorders.

EDIT: His allegations are a little bit worrying. I'll have to check at work if it does do that or if he was bs-ing you. I'll get back to you guys tomorrow with the right information.

Luigi87

Basically it's like this, trade-in credit is applied before tax, so if you do a full $79.99 worth of trade-in, then you would get a $79.99 game, tax free.

If you did say $50 trade-in towards a $79.99 game, you would be charged $29.99 + tax
IE: In Ontario it's 13% HST, so it would be $10.40 in sales tax without trade in credit, vs only $3.90 in sales tax with $50 of trade in credit.

Albeit this is strictly on pre-orders AFAIK.
I had this done for MK8 Deluxe, and KH 1.5 + 2.5

Elitist1945

As an FYI to anyone who's interested in a Google Home and/or Philips Hue Lights, they have them both in a bundle at Best Buy for $280 ($100 off compared to buying separately). Online only.

So I'm selling so often on Kijiji that I'm getting regular customers lol. I always get replies from the same 2 or 3 guys for all my Nintendo stuff especially. But I always try to sell to one of them if I recognize the name on the e-mail, because at least I know they will actually show up and pay what I'm asking. And they won't be like the girl that showed up to buy a couple of PS3 games that I was selling for $5 each and she haggled me down to $8 for 2 of them, and at the door handed me a $20 and looked at me expectantly. Like ok lady, I'll go put this in my invisible cash register lol.

espher

As an FYI to anyone who's interested in a Google Home and/or Philips Hue Lights, they have them both in a bundle at Best Buy for $280 ($100 off compared to buying separately). Online only.

I keep going back and forth on this. I already have a Hue bridge but I wouldn't complain about a newer one... and paying $100 for three bulbs is a savings (the bulbs are $50 each)... but it's $280. Ugh.

Ventara

Any of you Canadian dudes have a US-verified Paypal account and willing to help me out? I want to buy some Amazon US giftcards with my Paypal USD, so I'll basically just send you the money via PP and you buy the giftcards for me.

MercuryLS3

If I go that route, what's the best things to do when selling? I never actually did any Kijiji stuff before

Put up an ad, state that your price is firm (or price it a little higher than you're willing to sell it for and let someone offer a reasonable price). Say that you'll meet in a public place like a coffee shop. Put up a pic of the device, you'll get more views. You'll probably get texts from people saying they want you to ship the device, usually from a weird area code. Delete those, don't even text them back.

When you meet, let the person test out the device. Get the cash, done.

krae_man

What's a good way to sell phones? I'm thinking of upgrading to the S8+ but want to get rid of this S7 first

Check with your carrier for trade in promos first.

There appears to be some sort of "trade in your old phone, get a discount on a new phone if you upgrade to an A5 or S8" right now.

Freedom is offering a $200 trade in bonus on top of the phones value if you trade towards a S8. If you include the $200 MyTab Bonus, you could get up to $650 off.

Other stores/carriers might have other offers if you don't use Freedom.

-Deimos

Just had the weirdest thing happen. I got an email from amazon.com thanking me for a review that I didn't make on a product I didn't buy. Checked both my .ca and .com accounts and there's nothing in the order or review history, but on .com, there is a link to go to my "Amazon profile". Clicking that, it actually shows the review under "Community activity". Already contacted support which forwarded it to some department so who knows how they're going to handle it. Anyone experience something like this before?

Just had the weirdest thing happen. I got an email from amazon.com thanking me for a review that I didn't make on a product I didn't buy. Checked both my .ca and .com accounts and there's nothing in the order or review history, but on .com, there is a link to go to my "Amazon profile". Clicking that, it actually shows the review under "Community activity". Already contacted support which forwarded it to some department so who knows how they're going to handle it. Anyone experience something like this before?

Bizarre. Sounds more like a phishing scam to me...

farisr

If you had to put in your password via that link in your email, you likely got phished. I recommend changing right away (by going to amazon.com and amazon.ca).

-Deimos

Bizarre. Sounds more like a phishing scam to me...

If you had to put in your password via that link in your email, you likely got phished. I recommend changing right away (by going to amazon.com and amazon.ca).

Didn't click any links. I manually went to both sites and checked my accounts. I double checked the email too afterwards and everything is actually legit.

Best case scenario, it was just a technical fuckup by Amazon and some else's review got posted on my account. Worst case, someone got into my account to post a review....

But what confuses me the most is that the product they reviewed is a fridge that doesn't even have a proper product page. No images, no description, currently unavailable, no other reviews. The review from my account isn't even on the page but that might be because it was just published. The review itself is actually super generic too so I have no idea if it's even for the fridge.

leeman

Hi. Nintendo announced a new Samus Edition New 3DS : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1417084

I might me interested in this, and it says 'select retailers' in the announcement. Which Canadian retailers should I keep an eye on? I guess EBgames for sure but any others?
Thanks.

I would imagine the usual suspects will have it (EBGames, Amazon, BestBuy, Walmart, etc). I'm keeping an eye out, will update here when it goes up for pre-order :)

F4r0_Atak

Keep in mind these are open back, they bleed sound like crazy. Not the best for public use.

I call capital BS on what that Joey guy said. I just tested on a random transaction. Let's say you were preordering Destiny 2 (or any new upcoming releases), which is 79.99 before tax, and you have 60$ in trade-ins (add to that a 30% because of the current trade-in promotion for upcoming releases), in my example, the game would be 1.99$ plus tax. Even without the trade promotion, it would cost you 19.99$ plus tax. Don't know where he got that shady information, but I would avoid this store for a while like somebody said earlier or go to another EB close-by.

EDIT:

I hope Namco will make the Collector's edition of Ni No Kuni 2 available with selected retailers in Canada and not only on their website like the first game.

eyesradar

I call capital BS on what that Joey guy said. I just tested on a random transaction. Let's say you were preordering Destiny 2 (or any new upcoming releases), which is 79.99 before tax, and you have 60$ in trade-ins (add to that a 30% because of the current trade-in promotion for upcoming releases), in my example, the game would 1.99$ plus tax. Even without the trade promotion, it would cost you 19.99$ plus tax. Don't know where he got that shady information, but I would avoid this store for a while like someday said earlier or go to another EB close-by.

EDIT:

I hope Namco will make the Collector's edition of Ni No Kuni 2 available with selected retailers in Canada and not only on their website like the first game.

Thanks. I'll talk to the manager about this transaction.

And I'll avoid this specific CSR from now on.

Appreciated.

EDIT: I don't shop at EB at all nowadays unless there are good trade-in deals. I am just surprised at how these few dishonest employees can just easily ruined the experience.

Bad money drives out the good I guess, duh!

leeman

I call capital BS on what that Joey guy said. I just tested on a random transaction. Let's say you were preordering Destiny 2 (or any new upcoming releases), which is 79.99 before tax, and you have 60$ in trade-ins (add to that a 30% because of the current trade-in promotion for upcoming releases), in my example, the game would be 1.99$ plus tax. Even without the trade promotion, it would cost you 19.99$ plus tax. Don't know where he got that shady information, but I would avoid this store for a while like somebody said earlier or go to another EB close-by.

EDIT:

Looks likely, it's already available in the US on Amazon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom