• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aonuma

Hey Guys,

gonna be looking for a 65" TV in the next few weeks and wanted to get your opinion as to what to get. Its mostly going to be used for TV/Movie watching but it needs to be 4k (future proof).

Is there a series you guys recommend? limit is $2k. I was looking at the below deal and i'm not sure if its any good tbh.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sony-sony-65-4k-uhd-hdr-led-android-smart-tv-xbr65x850e-black-xbr65x850e/10584574.aspx?lang=en-ca&pcname=&sku=10584574

I'd check out Kijiji first, there are always good deals to be had profiting from other people looking to upgrade or unload a big TV a dead relative had or something. I got my 60" plasma from Kijiji about 6 months ago for $400, there are even 4K TVs people are looking to get rid of fairly often.

Only other suggestion would be to be sure you're getting HDR along with 4K if you're trying to be decently futureproof -- if you're looking to come in well under budget though Kijiji is a good option.

TechJunk

Hey Guys,

gonna be looking for a 65" TV in the next few weeks and wanted to get your opinion as to what to get. Its mostly going to be used for TV/Movie watching but it needs to be 4k (future proof).

Is there a series you guys recommend? limit is $2k. I was looking at the below deal and i'm not sure if its any good tbh.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sony-sony-65-4k-uhd-hdr-led-android-smart-tv-xbr65x850e-black-xbr65x850e/10584574.aspx?lang=en-ca&pcname=&sku=10584574

I bought a 70 inch Samsung KS8000 for about $2100 in December from B&H Photo from the States. It was much cheaper than what it would cost up here, and no extra duties to pay. I've had absolutely no issues and the picture is amazing. I just checked now and it seems that model is no longer for sale there but they have other TV's, not sure how the prices compare.

Only thing to keep in mind is if you have issues, you're buying from the States in New York, so you're probably going to have to deal with Samsung USA directly for warranty, or pay someone outright to fix it. Whatever you're comfortable with.

Lizardus

Thanks for the offer Fuzzy but I'll pass.

I may have lost my temper earlier and I'll apologize to everyone for that. Us Canadians are better than that, heck Im better than that. I talked to a friend about this and have come to the decision that Im done with amiibo and any Nintendo stuff for that matter except the games I already preordered. While the points I raised were valid, my outburst probably wasnt. I'll apologize again for souring up the thread.

No worries man, I don't take things on the internet to heart. Any particular reason you don't want to join Discord?

zroid

Banned
bit of a double deal at Indigo right now if you're interested in graphic novels, manga, and light novels.

buy one get one 50% off for those, plus there's a site wide promo for books to get 5x plum points.

I just ordered 4 light novels myself.

if you're curious they of course will take 50% off the lower priced item of two, but if you are ordering 4 books for example, then they will give you 50% off the 2nd highest priced item and the 4th highest priced item.

Luigi87

bit of a double deal at Indigo right now if you're interested in graphic novels, manga, and light novels.

buy one get one 50% off for those, plus there's a site wide promo for books to get 5x plum points.

if you're curious they of course will take 50% off the lower priced item of two, but if you are ordering 4 books for example, then they will give you 50% off the 2nd highest priced item and the 4th highest priced item.

!! Thanks for the heads up.

Time to finish my Gundam The Origin collection!
Edit: Also grabbed Spice & Wolf vol. 18

ahdurian

Does it stack with the ones that are 8% off as well?

Wow I had a gift card that I just used on the Zelda Oracle manga. I still have credit left over but if I'd known I would've waited a bit to really make the most of it. Ah well.

zroid

Banned
Does it stack with the ones that are 8% off as well?
that's amazon no?

Wow I had a gift card that I just used on the Zelda Oracle manga. I still have credit left over but if I'd known I would've waited a bit to really make the most of it. Ah well.
if it's within 30 days you could order them again and return?

might have to spend some real money if the leftover credit won't cover it tho

Madness

How early you think we should line up for launch for the snes. Honestly debating whether to call in sick and stake out the local EBGames for at least one unit just to use and play.

that's amazon no?

if it's within 30 days you could order them again and return?

might have to spend some real money if the leftover credit won't cover it tho

Yeah, it was just a couple weeks ago. I can try that or getting in touch with CS or something. Not the end of the world anyway but no reason not to see what I can do.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
For those of you that never went Amiibo hunting, during the build up and zenith of the hype, I recommend you lot go ATLEAST 2 hours early.
TBH 2 hours doesn't seem early enough. I remember on some Amiibo launches there would be people in line at 6am with the store not opening until 9am. I didn't go out for the NES Classic launch but I'm pretty sure people were in line even earlier anywhere near a city.

Davide

Okay - I want to do this today, what exactly do I need to do?

Also, how did you back up your PS4 stuff? I assume you can't keep the drive?

I just used a backup I made to a 500GB external hard drive back in January. Mainly just wanted to keep P.T. and some captures, then I downloaded my games and saves again. Made sure to wipe everything and deactivate it as my primary PS4 on the drive I was trading in with it. They said they wanted the power cable, HDMI cable, controller in good condition, and USB but they didn't seem to care about the USB and never even tested the PS4.

I swapped out the 1TB with my own 2TB HDD, I'll maybe sell the 1 TB online, never used from a Pro.

Now all I need is to find a good 55" 4K HDR10 TV for around $1000 or less. I'm looking at the Sony X720E and the Vizio E60-E3 60 in for $1099.

i-Jest

TBH 2 hours doesn't seem early enough. I remember on some Amiibo launches there would be people in line at 6am with the store not opening until 9am. I didn't go out for the NES Classic launch but I'm pretty sure people were in line even earlier anywhere near a city.

Indeed, it got pretty crazy, and the 29th of September is likely going to be VERY similar. TRU is not doing online orders that day, well that's my impression. The lineups are going to be crazy. Maybe other retailers are holding stock back for release that day, we'll see.

Stage On

Don't forget to use coupon code AUG10 to get an extra 10% off orders that are over $50 to save a bit more while you're at it guys.

Sora_N

Don't forget to use coupon code AUG10 to get an extra 10% off orders that are over $50 to save a bit more while you're at it guys.

I wish I knew...fuck. I bought the Nendoroid Link (Majora's Mask) and another one since they applied for the promo.

EDIT: I requested cancellation and reordered, rather save the extra 10%!

zroid

Banned
does anyone know what happens when you return an order where you redeemed plum points? do they give you a gift card, or refund the points as well?

edit: I called them this morning and found out. You won't get the points back, but they will issue you a credit onto your online balance. If you don't have an online account then they will send you a gift certificate.

FN-2187

I just used a backup I made to a 500GB external hard drive back in January. Mainly just wanted to keep P.T. and some captures, then I downloaded my games and saves again. Made sure to wipe everything and deactivate it as my primary PS4 on the drive I was trading in with it. They said they wanted the power cable, HDMI cable, controller in good condition, and USB but they didn't seem to care about the USB and never even tested the PS4.

I swapped out the 1TB with my own 2TB HDD, I'll maybe sell the 1 TB online, never used from a Pro.

Now all I need is to find a good 55" 4K HDR10 TV for around $1000 or less. I'm looking at the Sony X720E and the Vizio E60-E3 60 in for $1099.

Costco has the Vizio M55-E0 for $950

Able to link my Paypal account with the US eshop site.

That should save a few dollars on digital content at the current exchange. I used zip code 97222 to avoid US Sales tax.

It appears $59.99 USD games come out to around $75 right now with exchange.

Lexxism

That should save a few dollars on digital content at the current exchange. I used zip code 97222 to avoid US Sales tax.

Can't use your card directly? Or just want to use PayPal?

Can't use your card directly? Or just want to use PayPal?

This is linking Paypal. I haven't actually tried my credit card with the US eshop. It could be worth a shot.

I tried linking with Japan and it didn't work, as expected.

I might try Brazil or Mexico as they sometimes have cheaper prices as well. Mexico is same continent so it might work.

Edit: Mexico and Brazil don't have web based eshops apparently. I will take a look at this when I get home. They are in the Americas so they should link.

krae_man

Wouldn't currency conversion fees eat up most of the remaining $5.

You can avoid the fee by disabling PayPal's conversion and using a credit card that doesn't charge for currency conversion.

That's a bingo.

Buying with Alberta Sales tax is about $84 all in on a $79.99 game.
Buying with Ontario Sales tax is about $90 all in on a $79.99 game.
Buying using Paypal on a USD account with a no sales tax zip code comes out to around $75 CAD on a $59.99 USD game. That's with the current exchange via Google.

So the savings is actually more like $10 on Alberta tax and $15 in Ontario.

You do need to watch for those Paypal fees though. Make sure you have their conversion disabled. Even with it enabled you should still save.

Just bought a Neo Geo game. Works.

Cactus

Banned
Tried these steps? I know on eBay they make it extremely hard to avoid paypal's conversion, but the steps linked there should allow you to pay without using PP's conversion rate.

I fumbled around myself, but I think I ended up doing the same thing that those steps are showing. I'll double-check later today. Thanks!

Kyolux

<3 you all.

That is all.

Abhar-iran.JPG

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Thank you for this - doing it now.

Two questions:

1. Is it a new thing that the Amazon Prime pre-order discount only applies to a narrow range of normal (non-CE) releases? I know that things just went from 20% to 10%. And I know that they limited the discount to non-Collector's Edition versions. But there are a bunch of standard edition games for pre-order that won't even give the 10% discount. Is this normal?

2. I'm thinking of just giving up on Prime as my game-buying destination. Are there any other decent competitors online or in the GTA, in terms of discounts, release day shipping, etc.?

nath999

Sorrry been out of the loop for a bit, what are the changes to Prime now? I don't recall receiving an email from them informing me.

Sealtest

Sorrry been out of the loop for a bit, what are the changes to Prime now? I don't recall receiving an email from them informing me.

They don't email when changes happen. it's now 10% off preorders.

It's almost as if they expect people to not notice these changes.

I don't think they sent one.

20% preorder discount for games is now down to 10%. There is no 2-week discount period after a game releases.

No more discount on Amazon Basics.

Two questions:

1. Is it a new thing that the Amazon Prime pre-order discount only applies to a narrow range of normal (non-CE) releases? I know that things just went from 20% to 10%. And I know that they limited the discount to non-Collector's Edition versions. But there are a bunch of standard edition games for pre-order that won't even give the 10% discount. Is this normal?

2. I'm thinking of just giving up on Prime as my game-buying destination. Are there any other decent competitors online or in the GTA, in terms of discounts, release day shipping, etc.?

No discount on CEs anymore. Honestly, you can use pretty much anyone else at this point. Best Buy's shipping is pretty good. Wal-Mart is good too. The 10% discount makes Prime not worth it.

nath999

Damn those are huge changes, the 20% off games was one of the main reasons I had Prime.

Those are pretty shady business practices to not email your customers informing them about a service they pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom