• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconHat

Best 3DS model

QC is like 30% of our population? Imagine how difficult it would be to secure a preorder adding them back in.

Imagine how much simpler it would be to secure a preorder for us if we could at least preorder from TheSource, BestBuy, or EBGames.
I had to watch EBGames go in front of my eyes since they refused to ship to Quebec.

zroid

Banned
tfw you're waiting at taco bell for your order to be prepared and happen to see a crunchwrap fall on the floor in the kitchen

...i obviously asked them if the one they gave me was the one that fell, but let's face it, if they DID give me a crunchwrap that fell on the floor, they'd never admit it.

so... pray for me

etta

my hard graphic balls
tfw you're waiting at taco bell for your order to be prepared and happen to see a crunchwrap fall on the floor in the kitchen

...i obviously asked them if the one they gave me was the one that fell, but let's face it, if they DID give me a crunchwrap that fell on the floor, they'd never admit it.

so... pray for me

it's only aids bro

JDH

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/ca/po/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat750771

Nintendo has refurbished New 3DSes (regular size) on their store for $160. The regular-sized model is discontinued so this is a good way to get one if you want it.

Ordered one. I already have the Black Mario (Black Friday) one, but it's cool they have it for anyone who missed out. Ended up getting one of the white one's and ordered the White Mario cover plate so I have a matching set! I think they are the classiest 3DS's released.

zjLMh6eiQDw23j8KiOtIwlWpabLpLHE2.jpg

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

so... pray for me

LOL, should have immediately changed or cancelled your order.

https://www.londondrugs.com/energiz...L3666641.html?cgid=ele-batteries-rechargeable

Does this charger work with eneloops?

The XB1 play and charge kit is some shit tier quality stuff, the battery refuses to charge and the usb connection only acts as a cord and does not charge at all after like 4 cycles tops
I have an old NiMH charger as well as the eneloop one. The difference between both is that the old one does charge eneloop also, but it takes a lot longer and is not as efficient in doing so.

This one will probably be like my old charger since the included batteries aren't pre-charged.

Megasoum

Banned
Anything I need to know or do before upgrading?

The only thing I can think of right now is making sure all my saves are uploaded to the cloud.

I don't have an external HDD handy so I'll just re-download my games on the new console.

SickBoy

So it'S louder than the original?

Mine gets relatively loud when it's being pushed (I don't have a 4K TV -- but there are some downsampling or added detail games where it's clearly working hard... BTW, I really wish they'd add a "play in standard PS4 mode" mode).

But my launch PS4 was stupid loud. At the Pro's worst, it's maybe half as loud.

kevin1025

Banned
Mine gets relatively loud when it's being pushed (I don't have a 4K TV -- but there are some downsampling or added detail games where it's clearly working hard... BTW, I really wish they'd add a "play in standard PS4 mode" mode).

But my launch PS4 was stupid loud. At the Pro's worst, it's maybe half as loud.

Yeah, that's about what mine is at, as well.

Megasoum

Banned
LMAO Just came back from EB to trade my OG Launch PS4 for a PS4 Pro.....

I had a couple of game I got from work that I was willing to trade (one of the perks of working in the videogame industry lol)....

Ended up paying 98$ taxes included for a PS4 Pro hahaha... 150$ with Uncharted.

SickBoy

Does anyone have any strong feelings about the value of PSVR? I returned the core unit I got at Walmart a couple weeks back ($400 -- didn't open it), and now EB is tempting me with this $250 after trade deal. (I think I can round up five games to trade)

But I'm generally skeptical about PSVR at this stage -- I don't know that there's enough content for me and whether what's coming is compelling enough to invest that much in the system when I already have a ton of stuff to play in traditional console format. I was totally on board and had a large portion of it paid off prior to release (and found a camera and a couple of Move for cheap). But just before I came out, I balked and put the credit into the PS4 Pro instead (and started building my Switch fund after that).

Anyone have any tales of why it's totally worth (or not worth) it?

NYR

Does anyone have any strong feelings about the value of PSVR? I returned the core unit I got at Walmart a couple weeks back ($400 -- didn't open it), and now EB is tempting me with this $250 after trade deal. (I think I can round up five games to trade)

But I'm generally skeptical about PSVR at this stage -- I don't know that there's enough content for me and whether what's coming is compelling enough to invest that much in the system when I already have a ton of stuff to play in traditional console format. I was totally on board and had a large portion of it paid off prior to release (and found a camera and a couple of Move for cheap). But just before I came out, I balked and put the credit into the PS4 Pro instead (and started building my Switch fund after that).

I have one and regret it, simply put, there isn't enough games for it to justify the sticker price. I paid for the launch VR bundle. London Heist, Batman and Superhot are the only great games IMO, and those are way too short.

The novelty is very high tho, showing it to people who have never tried it is a huge wow factor, definitely a conversation starter and great party item.

The fact the little box it comes with doesn't pass through HDR is also a bit of a fuck you from Sony, this is a top end piece of hardware designed for its 1% yet the box won't pass HDR which means multiple HDMI cables and hookups if you want to go back and forth.

Personally, I think they are a generation too early - wireless and a clear quality FOV is so important and that is years away and only if they keep investing in VR.

I would pass TBH, I think you made the right move with the Pro. Especially at the CAN price tag.

Clive

For just few more hours or so there is a coupon active on eBay that gets you $15 USD off a purchase of $75 USD or more. It's a pretty good discount if there was something you planned to buy anyway. The deal seems to be valid on most things except shipping costs and you can add multiple items to cart to reach the $75 USD limit.

https://www.ebay.ca/rpp/coupon-0826

Ends at 6PM PT which is in roughly four hours from this post IIRC. The code is "POSTECLIPSE15" and you need to apply it at checkout before paying.

Firestorm

I'm trying to figure out if I can justify a Pro with trade in... I haven't used my PS4 in a year though I'll likely start Uncharted soon. I have a 4K HDR TV... even though it's unlikely I buy BluRays anytime soon I think I'd be more enticed to upgrade if it could play UHD BluRays. Maybe I should wait for a PS5?

farisr

I'm trying to figure out if I can justify a Pro with trade in... I haven't used my PS4 in a year though I'll likely start Uncharted soon. I have a 4K HDR TV... even though it's unlikely I buy BluRays anytime soon I think I'd be more enticed to upgrade if it could play UHD BluRays. Maybe I should wait for a PS5?
If you haven't used your PS4 in a year, then don't get a Pro. Your PS4 can do HDR anyways, so you can make use of that feature still on your TV and that is very widely agreed upon, the bigger upgrade that you get from a 4k HDR TV. II'd say wait in your case. Even if it had a UHD Bluray player, I'd still tell you to wait, the ones that are worth it are trickling in at a slow pace and are priced high for early adopters. I've had a XB1S since the day it came out and I can count on one hand the number of times I've used a UHD bluray, despite one of my main reasons of upgrading from the OG XB1 to that was the UHD bluray player.

CazTGG

Going through my pre-orders, I noticed Mario & Luigi DX has a Prime discount of 2.00 (this was ordered when the discount was still 20%)...I'm beginning to think the reason why they lowered the discount is so they'd get less people complaining about them screwing up its application.

btkadams

$219 plus taxes, at least in ON

I did the trade yesterday with a slim and added a 3dsxl (bought a 2dsxl) and a game to bring it down to $142 tax included.
Damn...219? I’m an idiot and still have a spare OG PS4 from when I bought the pro. I need to get rid of that thing.

Stupid question for anyone who will answer...Does ebgames give actual money like a pawnshop or is it purely in the form of ebgames credit?

Sora_N

I preordered Pokken from Best Buy for $99.99 during E3, and the code reduced it to $79.99.

The price dropped to $79.99, do I lose the 20% discount code then? I emailed them and they said no. Should I be calling or should I just cancel the order?

Haven't had this happen before at BB, so not sure if they'll still give me the discount.

farisr

I preordered Pokken from Best Buy for $99.99 during E3, and the code reduced it to $79.99.

The price dropped to $79.99, do I lose the 20% discount code then? I emailed them and they said no. Should I be calling or should I just cancel the order?

Haven't had this happen before at BB, so not sure if they'll still give me the discount.
You should be good. Not only did you get a reply saying that you should be getting the discount on the reduced price, their official E3 preorder deals FAQ had the same thing in it.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/e3.aspx

reducedprice80og4.jpg

If you get charged the full price, you may have to call in and have a refund of the amount issued. If you want some peace of mind ahead of time however, you can call in and may be able to make them manually adjust the price, which may or may not show in order details for you to see.

Sora_N

You should be good. Not only did you get a reply saying that you should be getting the discount on the reduced price, their official E3 preorder deals FAQ had the same thing in it.

reducedprice80og4.jpg

If you get charged the full price, you may have to call in and have a refund of the amount issued. If you want some peace of mind ahead of time however, you can call in and may be able to make them manually adjust the price, which may or may not show in order details for you to see.

Thanks, didn't know about that. I'll just wait and see!

btkadams

reducedprice80og4.jpg

This is great to see! They definitely didn’t do this a few years ago, so I guess this is due to Amazon-competition? I will choose Best Buy in next year’s E3 sales if they’re the same price as Amazon.

Honestly love my PSVR.

It's a luxry item for sure but if you can afford it, do it. It's provided me with feels I haven't had since gaming first went to polygons.

The library is getting pretty big and i find myself willing to try all kinds of shit I never would normally, cause it's just so damn different.

Having a pro really kicks it up a few notches, some games even support supersampling (with most games not even being the native headset resoloution on the OG).

Been a great way to break up that samey feeling ive been having for games the last few years.

Firestorm

If you haven't used your PS4 in a year, then don't get a Pro. Your PS4 can do HDR anyways, so you can make use of that feature still on your TV and that is very widely agreed upon, the bigger upgrade that you get from a 4k HDR TV. II'd say wait in your case. Even if it had a UHD Bluray player, I'd still tell you to wait, the ones that are worth it are trickling in at a slow pace and are priced high for early adopters. I've had a XB1S since the day it came out and I can count on one hand the number of times I've used a UHD bluray, despite one of my main reasons of upgrading from the OG XB1 to that was the UHD bluray player.
Yeah I was trying to find out if the old unit could do HDR. I'll keep my system. Thanks for the talking down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom