• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBoy

Is the Discord really that active vs. this thread? I don't really need another app on my phone and don't use Discord at all... but I am curious.

In other gaming deals news, I was fortunate to get my Uncharted: The Lost Legacy traded before the weekend. I saw on RFD someone saying they got $12x2 for it the other day ($24!). I managed to trade my copy while it still had a $19 base value. That was a heck of a deal for that game: $40 via Amazon, $38 in credit.

EDIT: Speaking of RFD, that place can be brutal. I was searching around to see if anyone posted about the cellphone plan my wife signed up for recently (A PC Mobile BYOD plan)... someone had and they were just savaged for it. There's nothing particularly special about the plan -- it's essentially on par with the current Fido/Virgin/Koodo promos, but it does offer a much better rate on data overages ($10/GB vs. $7/100MB) and that's the big draw for her. But of course the response was just "ice cold," bringing up Zoomer (which does seem like a good deal) and Wind (which does seem like a good deal if you're always in an urban area and can live with their network). They gave the OP a reall rough ride for what seemed to me like an OK deal.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is the Discord really that active vs. this thread? I don't really need another app on my phone and don't use Discord at all... but I am curious.
Do you like chit chat that people would complain about if it was happening in this thread? That's what it's like. I only really care about it for the alerts.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Killed by Discord :(
I think strike 1 was shipping talk reaching new heights because of Amazon's heel turn when it came to shipping, then strikes 2 to, like, 8 were Amiibo/NES/SNES Classic talk occurring in multiples of the worst of the shipping talk we ever got. Then Discord expanded it's ongoing siege on GAF communities to this thread.

I've been fine with this thread since highlighting deals became more common (delightfully surprised that caught on), but now I kind of feel pressured to get discord if the deals slowly disappear off of here and end up only getting posted there.

I think strike 1 was shipping talk reaching new heights because of Amazon's heel turn when it came to shipping, then strikes 2 to, like, 8 were Amiibo/NES/SNES Classic talk occurring in multiples of the worst of the shipping talk we ever got. Then Discord expanded it's ongoing siege on GAF communities to this thread.

I've been fine with this thread since highlighting deals became more common (delightfully surprised that caught on), but now I kind of feel pressured to get discord if the deals slowly disappear off of here and end up only getting posted there.

They usually get posted to RFD first anyway

I'm using discord for Pokemon Go and it has been brutal on my battery

When the fuck are Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 going on sale

Never.

I'm sure Persona 5 will eventually go on sale, it seems like too popular a game to not get at least one physical sale (though it is kind of weird how nobody really talks about it these days).

Yakuza 0, though, good luck with that one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They usually get posted to RFD first anyway

I'm using discord for Pokemon Go and it has been brutal on my battery
Besides the fact that my phone is on it's death bed already, being swarmed with phone notifications is the #1 reason why I haven't jumped into the Discord wave.

Whales

Banned
Besides the fact that my phone is on it's death bed already, being swarmed with phone notifications is the #1 reason why I haven't jumped into the Discord wave.

You can turn off notifications though

I only get notified when someone tags me (and you can even turn notifications for that off too)

Dazzler

In other gaming deals news, I was fortunate to get my Uncharted: The Lost Legacy traded before the weekend. I saw on RFD someone saying they got $12x2 for it the other day ($24!). I managed to trade my copy while it still had a $19 base value. That was a heck of a deal for that game: $40 via Amazon, $38 in credit.

EDIT: Speaking of RFD, that place can be brutal. I was searching around to see if anyone posted about the cellphone plan my wife signed up for recently (A PC Mobile BYOD plan)... someone had and they were just savaged for it. There's nothing particularly special about the plan -- it's essentially on par with the current Fido/Virgin/Koodo promos, but it does offer a much better rate on data overages ($10/GB vs. $7/100MB) and that's the big draw for her. But of course the response was just "ice cold," bringing up Zoomer (which does seem like a good deal) and Wind (which does seem like a good deal if you're always in an urban area and can live with their network). They gave the OP a reall rough ride for what seemed to me like an OK deal.

RFD is a cesspit, genuinely one of the worst online communities out there.

superbad

They corrected themselves later in the thread...it's still at $19 base. Going to dump mine at EB tomorrow. Not sure why, but I'm not enjoying it as much as the previous games.

You can completely customize your notifications and get pinged for every single message, only specific deals, your username specifically, or even mute it and get no pings at all.

It's all 100% custom.

Haines

Banned
Guess im going to be doing the walmart return dance for destiny 2 arent i. Ah well, for 50 bucks suppose i shouldnt complain.

AzerPhire

Guess im going to be doing the walmart return dance for destiny 2 arent i. Ah well, for 50 bucks suppose i shouldnt complain.

Yep in the same boat. Amazon shipped my CE which is arriving today but EB has yet to ship my LE and Walmart hasn't shipped my regular copy.

Maybe they will surprise me and it will be their when I get home. That happened with Crash, didn't get the shipping email until the game was already in my hands.

Haines

Banned
Yep in the same boat. Amazon shipped my CE which is arriving today but EB has yet to ship my LE and Walmart hasn't shipped my regular copy.

Maybe they will surprise me and it will be their when I get home. That happened with Crash, didn't get the shipping email until the game was already in my hands.

Yeah, ill continue to check the mailbox but im guessing walmart is just going to be slow. The wife usually needs things at walmart anyways, and who knows if the servers will even hold up to the onslaught.

FN-2187

I have my $50 Walmart Destiny 2 E3 order, but I didn't like the beta. I was just going to return it when it arrives, but now I am wondering how much EB will give with double credit.... More than $56?

AzerPhire

I have my $50 Walmart Destiny 2 E3 order, but I didn't like the beta. I was just going to return it when it arrives, but now I am wondering how much EB will give with double credit.... More than $56?

Definitely. Mario Rabbids came out last week has a trade in value of $35 so you would get $70 credit with the promo. I could see Destiny trading in for either $35 or $40.

Mikey Jr.

Seriously.

What is the point in preordering from Amazon?

"preorder and get it a week later!"

We'll see what happens. I won't say anything yet, they still have a day left.

But if you preorder now you get some special gun.

Ummm, do I get this gun? I ordered the game months ago.

Corey31

Ahhhh I never shop at shoppers lol

For regular priced food and drugs they are terrible. For sale products and electronics they are oddly pretty good. Albeit electronics is going to depend on what your local stores are like since they can vary in what and how many games they stock.

My local store currently has 2 Switches that have sat for a couple weeks along with copies of every Nintendo game released so far. They also have a pretty good selection of AAA games for the XBOX One and PS4. Madden 17 and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy came in about 3 days after their release dates.

SickBoy

For regular priced food and drugs they are terrible. For sale products and electronics they are oddly pretty good. Albeit electronics is going to depend on what your local stores are like since they can vary in what and how many games they stock.

My local store currently has 2 Switches that have sat for a couple weeks along with copies of every Nintendo game released so far. They also have a pretty good selection of AAA games for the XBOX One and PS4. Madden 17 and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy came in about 3 days after their release dates.

Yeah, they'll occasionally put stuff on sale at similar prices to other retailers (i.e: the PS4 slim deal earlier this year). Get 20x Optimum points and those are great deals.

Even when everyone's at regular price, the Optimum 20x deals are worth it. Do you want to spend $499 for a PS4 Pro, or a PS4 Pro plus enough Optimum points to get whatever two games you want (that Shoppers stocks)?

zroid

Banned
Can I just get optimum today and buy it right away with 20x or I have to wait for a coupon in the mail or something?

well the way it works is every week you get a bunch of coupons on your account (some lasting the whole week, and some for just a specific day). I don't think you will get those until you've properly registered and all that. you also should download the app although you don't NEED to, strictly speaking.

however if there is a 20x advertised promotion, usually it will be on the weekend or on saturday, or something, then I think you should be ok if you just pick up a card at the counter and register it later.

saskuatch

Oh I see if there is no sale anytime soon I might try this shoppers optimum deal. Costco did have a pro with extra controller and cod iw bundle but for 599 not really a deal

Lexxism

Can I just get optimum today and buy it right away with 20x or I have to wait for a coupon in the mail or something?
Yeah, why not? Register and get your card number. Use that to sign in on their mobile app and use it when your purchase at SDM. And also, you can't use the points you earned on the same transaction. It should be on the next one.

saskuatch

Yeah, why not? Register and get your card number. Use that to sign in on their mobile app and use it when your purchase at SDM. And also, you can't use the points you earned on the same transaction. It should be on the next one.

I could just walk out the store and walk back in and buy a couple games?

SickBoy

To add to zroid's comment, the coupon offers are targeted, but frequently replicate weekend deals (I don't think you'll see a 20x offer today).

FWIW, I have a deal for tomorrow only that offers 20x the points (I believe they offered that Saturday -- this is pretty typical, I think, to get a Wednesday coupon that matches a weekend bonus points offer). If you're hot to trot for a PS4 Pro, you might want to hit your local Shoppers today and buy a drink or something, sign up for Optimum and then register it to your email, etc. Maybe you'll get the same deal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess the best thing to do is to find a way to combine senior's day with 20x points and one of those random x dollars off y coupons. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom