• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody has a good ressource for new or used cheap school book (including books in French)?

Starting university today and thankfully I only have one book to buy but it's 65$ so if I could find a cheap used copy it would be nice.

krae_man

Anybody has a good ressource for new or used cheap school book (including books in French)?

Starting university today and thankfully I only have one book to buy but it's 65$ so if I could find a cheap used copy it would be nice.

One book and it's only $65 new?

Count your blessings.

shira

Amazon?

What major and school doesn't have profs requiring you to buy $2000 in useless texts or online homework programs?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can completely customize your notifications and get pinged for every single message, only specific deals, your username specifically, or even mute it and get no pings at all.

It's all 100% custom.
So I finally caved and installed Discord. How do I set it to notify only PS4 deals?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out!

Last year I bought books on Amazon after hearing so much about how cheap they are, then when I started school I learned that the school bookstore was selling them all for roughly $20 cheaper

Megasoum

Banned
Last year I bought books on Amazon after hearing so much about how cheap they are, then when I started school I learned that the school bookstore was selling them all for roughly $20 cheaper

Yeah my school bookstore is exactly the same price as Amazon.

I took the Prime trial for the SNES Mini but haven'T used it yet so might as well buy it there so that I can say that I used Prime once before I cancel lol.

i-Jest

Does your school have a bookstore or online bookstore? Do they carry used books? My university does and there is a classified section where students buy and sell used books.

khaaan

I don't care if I get banned. Pirate your books every single opportunity you get, if you're on residence then you probably have access to the student intranet and if you don't you can probably make friends who would be willing to help you out. Check there first, then the popular shady websites. Sometimes even a google search is all you need. The libraries on campus will most likely have a copy of the book in stock too, they won't let you make photocopies of a lot of pages but you can probably go to a staples and get it done. The libraries website will also have old exams of your courses. Sometimes the course has changed significantly enough that it's not helpful but other times you can catch recurring questions or subjects. Textbooks were one of the most infuriating things about my time at University. I can literally think of two books that I'm glad I was told to purchase and both of them were sub $50 purchases.

Edit: And if a professor asks you to buy some dumbass collection of "selected readings", tell them that they're a bitch.
Edit Edit: Fuck you Blackboard, fuck you Desire2Learn, fuck you iClickers, fuck you Pearson, I hope you all burn in hell.

Trying to sell my Wii U. As seen here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=246636728&highlight=#post246636728

I was asking $450 on a local site, and no bites, but I just dropped it on there to $350 today and I have three offers already, and now I'm wondering if this is a good idea at all. My plan was basically to use that money to buy that Forza Horizon 3 XB1S bundle. Never owned an XB1, so I figured, with PUBG coming out this Fall, I should probably get on that. Steer me right here GAF. Should I do this move? Should I sell it and dish out the extra $$$ for the XB1X, despite not having a 4K TV and not planning to upgrade any time soon? Should I just hold onto the Wii U in the hopes it will actually eventually go up in price? (I unplugged it the day I beat BOTW and haven't even thought of hooking it back up). If that's the case, I'm probably not playing PUBG until/unless it comes to PS4. What if the XB1S version of PUBG is terrible? Just looking for some CAD Deals GAF wisdom.

After maddeningly trying to figure out how to stream Prime Video to my TV, it turns out Amazon FINALLY released an app for PS4 in Canada at the end of last month.

Probably around the same time they killed the 20%.

And it's still inferior to the American version.

After maddeningly trying to figure out how to stream Prime Video to my TV, it turns out Amazon FINALLY released an app for PS4 in Canada at the end of last month.

REALLY? How have I not seen this?

I still can't get my Samsung phone to stream Prime video to my chromecast. It plays the audio, but the video won't show up. It makes no sense. Even when I'm using Google Home which is straight up mirroring the screen on my phone.

Also, I went to a recreational (for all intents and purposes...no prescription needed) dispensary today. Life is good Canadian GAF.

kevin1025

Banned

I had been using the American app, having made an American account and then just using the app on my main account. But when I try and use the new Canadian one, it won't let me. So American app it is for me!

REALLY? How have I not seen this?

I still can't get my Samsung phone to stream Prime video to my chromecast. It plays the audio, but the video won't show up. It makes no sense. Even when I'm using Google Home which is straight up mirroring the screen on my phone.

Also, I went to a recreational (for all intents and purposes...no prescription needed) dispensary today. Life is good Canadian GAF.

I was honestly Googling "How to use PS4 Prime Video app in Canada" and I found an article from some random tech site saying it released on PS3 and PS4 on the 25th.

It was ridiculously unceremonious.

I had been using the American app, having made an American account and then just using the app on my main account. But when I try and use the new Canadian one, it won't let me. So American app it is for me!

I double checked to make sure it actually works, but hey if it ain't broke.

CazTGG

Buy used i.e. see if Kijiji has anyone willing to sell it for less, check Amazon for used copies, etc. If there's a course that requires an online code included with a textbook, check to see if it's cheaper to buy used than to get them bundled together.

jholmes

Trying to sell my Wii U. As seen here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=246636728&highlight=#post246636728

I was asking $450 on a local site, and no bites, but I just dropped it on there to $350 today and I have three offers already, and now I'm wondering if this is a good idea at all. My plan was basically to use that money to buy that Forza Horizon 3 XB1S bundle. Never owned an XB1, so I figured, with PUBG coming out this Fall, I should probably get on that. Steer me right here GAF. Should I do this move? Should I sell it and dish out the extra $$$ for the XB1X, despite not having a 4K TV and not planning to upgrade any time soon? Should I just hold onto the Wii U in the hopes it will actually eventually go up in price? (I unplugged it the day I beat BOTW and haven't even thought of hooking it back up). If that's the case, I'm probably not playing PUBG until/unless it comes to PS4. What if the XB1S version of PUBG is terrible? Just looking for some CAD Deals GAF wisdom.

OK there's a lot to unpack:

• If you just want PUBG, get it on PC. Your PC might not be good enough but it'll be a better value in the long run than getting an XBX for one game, especially if you don't care about 4K right now.
  • Is your only concern about selling the Wii U getting the right price? If so try selling it with fewer games and sell the rest later. They're what'll really go up in price, likely not the hardware.
  • Are you just concerned about selling the Wii U, period? Sell all those Wii U games just to help pay for playing PUBG and you will regret it.
  • Speaking of which, have you played PUBG? Can you play it at a friend's place or something and make sure it's the sort of thing you really want to drop the better part of a grand to play? It might not be.
  • You're getting a lot of offers for a Wii U at $350 because you're pricing it way too low. You went on Kijiji with all the low-ballers and they ignored the pretty reasonable $450, then you went on game-loving GAF and offered them the fire sale price.
  • If PUBG comes to PS4, it'll be in the zeitgeist again, so if you're just worried about missing out on the hot thing, it may come to you anyway. Or something else will get big on Twitch and maybe you'll want that, who knows.

Falrage

Neo Member
Hello NeoGAF!

After looking through various threads on this site (this one mainly) for a while now, I finally obtained a chance to join GAF as a junior member. This is my very first post so I'm still new at this, but I hope we can get along!

SickBoy

I'm pretty sure I posted about the Amazon PS4 app a couple weeks ago. Pretty sure. Maybe not, but if I did it was probably during Peak SNES Mini and therefore very easy to miss.

EDIT: I like to think it was my request via their customer feedback form that finally made that happen. ;)

I keep meaning to check on the XB1 to see if it's available there.

joe_zazen

Hello NeoGAF!

After looking through various threads on this site (this one mainly) for a while now, I finally obtained a chance to join GAF as a junior member. This is my very first post so I'm still new at this, but I hope we can get along!

Welcome.

jholmes

Hello NeoGAF!

Welcome aboard and do your best to stay on the right side of the law!

• If you just want PUBG, get it on PC. Your PC might not be good enough but it'll be a better value in the long run than getting an XBX for one game, especially if you don't care about 4K right now.
  • Is your only concern about selling the Wii U getting the right price? If so try selling it with fewer games and sell the rest later. They're what'll really go up in price, likely not the hardware.
  • Are you just concerned about selling the Wii U, period? Sell all those Wii U games just to help pay for playing PUBG and you will regret it.
  • Speaking of which, have you played PUBG? Can you play it at a friend's place or something and make sure it's the sort of thing you really want to drop the better part of a grand to play? It might not be.
  • You're getting a lot of offers for a Wii U at $350 because you're pricing it way too low. You went on Kijiji with all the low-ballers and they ignored the pretty reasonable $450, then you went on game-loving GAF and offered them the fire sale price.
  • If PUBG comes to PS4, it'll be in the zeitgeist again, so if you're just worried about missing out on the hot thing, it may come to you anyway. Or something else will get big on Twitch and maybe you'll want that, who knows.

I do appreciate the input. No way my 4 year old HP laptop is running PUBG on the level of even an XB1, but other than that you make some fair points. I guess I am kind of concerned that if I don't sell the Wii U now, it probably really won't go up in value and it will sit in that cupboard with the XBOX, PS2, Gamecube, 360, Wii, etc, forever...that will never get used again.

iLLmAtlc

Hello NeoGAF!

Welcome!

I'm pretty sure I posted about the Amazon PS4 app a couple weeks ago. Pretty sure. Maybe not, but if I did it was probably during Peak SNES Mini and therefore very easy to miss.

EDIT: I like to think it was my request via their customer feedback form that finally made that happen. ;)

I keep meaning to check on the XB1 to see if it's available there.

If you did then I appreciate your efforts to aid and inform us all.

(I kind of glossed over any big sections that were clearly SNES related).

superbad

If you're getting offers to buy at $350, I'd say take it.

A couple months back, I had listed my 8GB white unit on Kijiji at $300. The thing was in mint condition with box, a 64GB Samsung Fit flash drive, 12 physical games, and 2 Pro Controllers (1 white and 1 black), and I could barely get any offers over $200 for it.

I realize that part of the problem was that I put it on Kijiji, but still...

Hello NeoGAF!

Welcome! Do you play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

If you're getting offers to buy at $350, I'd say take it.

A couple months back, I had listed my 8GB white unit on Kijiji at $300. The thing was in mint condition with box, a 64GB Samsung Fit flash drive, 12 physical games, and 2 Pro Controllers (1 white and 1 black), and I could barely get any offers over $200 for it.

I realize that part of the problem was that I put it on Kijiji, but still...

I agree and this was my experience as well. Sell it for what you can get.

MrHectarPeabody

Neo Member

I used to use Circa Circle when I was in university, but the last time I used it was 2012. Can't speak to the effectiveness of it now, but back then it was awesome. You were able to find students on campus looking to sell of their last year's textbooks for pretty cheap, and could communicate with them pretty quickly.

Edit: This looks like it's for Ontario university students. Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom