• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

sikkinixx

Kept telling folks during E3 weekend to give Walmart their business.
They've been very good at hitting release day delivery with all of their $50 games as well.
And returns have been painless. Whereas Amazon will do everything in their power to dick you around.

While their prices were good the constant "charged you! lol kidding refunded you! HAAA charged you again!" is annoying as hell. As is the inability to cancel orders if you decide you don't want them. You have to call, and the person I spoke with was brutal. Took over 20 minutes just to cancel a damn order.

Does anyone know whats the biggest battery bank I can even bring on a plane (specifically Air Canada)? I'm leaving next Thursday and all my shit is USB C (phone and switch) so this feels like my only option

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014ZO46LK/

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/baggage/restricted-and-prohibited-items.html

Portable electronic devices with lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, such as watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, laptop computers*, camcorders, etc., are accepted under the following conditions:

Lithium ion cells and batteries up to 100 Watt Hours (Wh) each
The following are allowed in carry-on baggage only*:
Consumer electronic devices containing accepted lithium ion cells or batteries with a rating of not more than 100 Wh each;
Spare lithium ion cells or batteries with a rating of not more than 100 Wh each.

Lithium ion batteries with a rating of 100 but not exceeding 160 Watt Hours (Wh)
A maximum of two (2) individually protected spare lithium ion batteries with a rating of 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried per passenger in carry-on baggage only*, pending approval by Air Canada airport agents.

Any device or battery up to 100 Wh must be in carry-on.
Anything between 100-160 Wh must be in carry-on, limit of 2.
Anything above 160 Wh is prohibited.

Your battery is 20100mAh at 5v.
This is 20100*5 = 100500 mWh. So 100.5 Wh.

I think it would be considered in the up to 100 WH category.

You're ok.

I travel a lot and I've never seen this rule enforced unless you bring much more than what a normal person uses.

They've been very good at hitting release day delivery with all of their $50 games as well.
And returns have been painless. Whereas Amazon will do everything in their power to dick you around.

My Walmart order of Destiny 2 won't be here until Monday. So that sucks.

UberTag

It really is hard to defend Walmart's absurd preemptive billing nonsense. I had to train myself to just ignore it.

After dealing with play asia for almost a month trying to get my money back from an order and me only paying $30 for andromeda, $5 for fallout and $2 for deadpool I'd rather do with EBgames. But that's a great price.
I can understand the anxiety that Play-Asia drives.
It did take a little extra time but they did come through for me this week with my green/pink Joy-con set so I can't knock them too much.

chrono01

I think Amazon.ca updated their SNES Classic Mini listing, as it now states "Note: This item is only available from third-party sellers (see all offers)". At least, I don't remember that being there before. Does that mean they won't be stocking this thing at all?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I think Amazon.ca updated their SNES Classic Mini listing, as it now states "Note: This item is only available from third-party sellers (see all offers)". At least, I don't remember that being there before. Does that mean they won't be stocking this thing at all?

Oh my sweet summer child

I would agree, except that my copy of Splatoon 2 went missing and Walmart told me to a) file a claim, b) sign/scan/email a claim form saying I did not receive the item in question, c) re-order the product at the original price, d) call back in a second time quoting my original case number to get the E3 discount back. Let's not forget e) hope to god the second package doesn't also go missing.

Amazon would've just been all "oh sorry we'll send you another one," I'm pretty sure. After that experience with Walmart, I'm really worried about all the rest of my orders and will think twice or thrice before ordering from them again.

killroy87

Walmart has fucking sucked for me for shipping. 5 days post-release on literally everything. I'm in Vancouver, so they must jus have one warehouse and ship from East coast.

Ondore

Uh, bad news on the SNES Classic page anyway:

At the direction of the manufacturer, this product may not be shipped to Quebec.

I don't know how long that's been there, I just refreshed and saw it. (Also the top pic changed again.)

Uh, bad news on the SNES Classic page anyway:

I don't know how long that's been there, I just refreshed and saw it. (Also the top pic changed again.)

I've never seen a product go so out of its way to be unavailable to Quebec.

We're really going to be completely out of luck for getting these, aren't we?

i-Jest

I've never seen a product go so out of its way to be unavailable to Quebec.

We're really going to be completely out of luck for getting these, aren't we?

Import from Play-Asia or Amazon America, France, and UK if the opportunity presents itself. Importing seems like the only viable option, unless a local mom and pop store happens to carry stock or you know someone out of province you can mail it to when placing an order. Truly this situation is a shit show. I don't even want to see the line-up's at launch.

chrono01

Amazon no longer has the restriction on the shipping in-regards to the SNES Classic Mini.

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS LISTING!? THEY KEEP ALTERING THE PICTURE/INFORMATION/ETC. BUT WON'T MAKE IT AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER!!!

/deep breath

Sorry, I'm okay now.

Amazon no longer has the restriction on the shipping in-regards to the SNES Classic Mini.

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS LISTING!? THEY KEEP ALTERING THE PICTURE/INFORMATION/ETC. BUT WON'T MAKE IT AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER!!!

/deep breath

Sorry, I'm okay now.

Oh no.

This is slowly becoming a beautiful mess.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/baggage/restricted-and-prohibited-items.html

Any device or battery up to 100 Wh must be in carry-on.
Anything between 100-160 Wh must be in carry-on, limit of 2.
Anything above 160 Wh is prohibited.

Your battery is 20100mAh at 5v.
This is 20100*5 = 100500 mWh. So 100.5 Wh.

I think it would be considered in the up to 100 WH category.

You're ok.

I travel a lot and I've never seen this rule enforced unless you bring much more than what a normal person uses.

Ah thanks for the tip. Was really worried about the battery bank stuff since I'm definitely gonna be using it to resuscitate my Switch halfway through the flight

Reich

Walmart has fucking sucked for me for shipping. 5 days post-release on literally everything. I'm in Vancouver, so they must jus have one warehouse and ship from East coast.

Same here.
Just bought a copy at store, will return the copy (91$ with taxes) copy on monday.

Lexxism

Ah thanks for the tip. Was really worried about the battery bank stuff since I'm definitely gonna be using it to resuscitate my Switch halfway through the flight
I think your power bank actually shows what's the watts on it. That's how it is with mine. Around 80 watts for 21500 mah.

I am up to my ears in entertainment/tv/movies. You could freeze time for a year and I would have enough to keep my self busy every day.

All I want, is my game on release day.

Shit, all I want is for them to SHIP my game on release day. We are now going into Friday, and it's stuck in "preparing for shipment".

d5wh6KL.png

Like, Jesus Christ.

Also, I live 20 minutes away from their Mississauga distribution site.

Yeah, I'll try them next year for sure. Eff Amazon.

This doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm no more than ten minutes from that same distribution site, preordered in June, got the game Wednesday morning. No prime subscription.

Reckheim

I am up to my ears in entertainment/tv/movies. You could freeze time for a year and I would have enough to keep my self busy every day.

All I want, is my game on release day.

Shit, all I want is for them to SHIP my game on release day. We are now going into Friday, and it's stuck in "preparing for shipment".

d5wh6KL.png

Like, Jesus Christ.

Also, I live 20 minutes away from their Mississauga distribution site.

Yeah, I'll try them next year for sure. Eff Amazon.

It really is a crapshoot with amazon and their own courier. That's why I cancelled my subscription a few months ago when persona 5 came out.

Started pre-ordering games from walmart and i've been getting games on time (Mississauga).

Jo-El

Amazon warehouse deals has a 'good' condition Switch pro controller for $56.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/

Chances are the box is just messed up. Although, it's likely been opened as well. I've always had good luck with this stuff, but you can always easily return it if you're not happy with the condition. I never felt like I got a used item, just opened and returned. Not a bad way to save some money if you're willing to roll the dice.

Edit: It's gone

khaaan

I don't see Amazon having a reason to change as long as they're still getting the pre-orders. It's not uncommon for people here to buy from a brick-and-mortar store at full price because they want to play earlier but then follow up by returning their shipped copy to said brick-and-mortar store so they can also get whatever discount benefits there are. Amazon still got your money in the end.

JDH

I have Best Buy SNES Mini ordered, but have never pre-ordered anything from them before. I don't want to take someone elses chance of an SNES mini by being too cautious either.

Do you guys think I should try for The Source as well, or just leave it as is. I only want one really. I've had bad experiences with Amazon in the past with cancelling things, and just want to secure one!

Ventara

I have Best Buy SNES Mini ordered, but have never pre-ordered anything from them before. I don't want to take someone elses chance of an SNES mini by being too cautious either.

Do you guys think I should try for The Source as well, or just leave it as is. I only want one really. I've had bad experiences with Amazon in the past with cancelling things, and just want to secure one!

I say go for it. Not like you can't return it or sell it to another Gaffer, if you so choose.

Just try for it. If you end up with 2 I'm sure a gaffer would love to buy it off you. Hell if you have trouble offing it I'll buy it 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom