• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

killroy87

I'll be very surprised if we get Scorpio price tomorrow. Once I saw that Digital Foundry was revealing, I assumed it would be a tech showcase only. Price/Date can come later.

Lothars

I'll be very surprised if we get Scorpio price tomorrow. Once I saw that Digital Foundry was revealing, I assumed it would be a tech showcase only. Price/Date can come later.
Yeah I don't think we will get price either until probably e3 but I am expecting it to be over 600 cdn.

kevin1025

Banned

Yeah I don't think we will get price either until probably e3 but I am expecting it to be over 600 cdn.

I'm honestly half expecting Microsoft to hold off on pricing until late into the summer, like the good old days of console releases.

But specs alone, I'm super interested in what tomorrow is bringing!

Probably the first time in five years with a legitimate backlog now, between PS4 and Switch (among other real life matters).

Would be a difficult sell for us to spend $500 CDN on this immediately.

antibolo

Banned
So how good is Toys r Us for pre-orders?

Like if I change my MK8D pre-order to them (for that sweet baby discount), can I expect to get the game on its (Friday) release date?

jokkir

Best Buy needs to get new stock of the neon controllers. These controllers keep disconnecting and need to replace them :|

Moltenix

I wonder if newer stock of Switchs and Joycons have the conductive foam "fix" inside them or if they're still the same as the launch ones.

Iced

Does anyone know if Nintendo has an email address I can write to for store orders? I want to contact them about my defective RDS case, but I can't for the life me me find anything on their site. There's a phone number but I prefer to keep everything in writing.

Edit: Only thing I could find is nintendo@noa.nintendo.com. Hopefully I get a response.

Edit 2: Got an automated response saying they no longer respond to emails and to use their webform : http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask Problem is, there isn't anything even close to a related option for me. Goddammit do I regret ordering from their store.

Edit 3: Out of curiosity (while I was there), I thought I'd check about getting my left joycon repaired. Can you only contact them via phone for anything?

So how good is Toys r Us for pre-orders?

Like if I change my MK8D pre-order to them (for that sweet baby discount), can I expect to get the game on its (Friday) release date?

Didnt hear any complaints about unfilled Switch in-store preorders.

Not sure about online though.

farisr

Yeah, honestly expecting MS to likely gauge what kind of reception the reveal gets and maybe adjust the price slightly or bundle in something if the reception isn't as good as they were expecting.

Unlike Sony with the Pro, MS to me seems like they really really need this to be a success. It is the start of their "no generations" hardware release cycle after all.

soultron

Banned
Don't think we'll get a price tomorrow either, but if we do, get ready to rush the preorder pages that will come with.

EDIT: Already starting to see scratches (or residue?) of some kind starting to build above the bezel with the ORZLY screen protector. It's just too snug when it slides into the dock, IMO. I'm going to continue to monitor it but I feel like I'm going to grab another HORI basic screen protector since it doesn't have the same issue with snugness when going into/out of the dock.

For reference, I take care when removing/inserting my Switch. I also only take it out at the beginning of the day (take it to work for lunch breaks) and then slide it back into the dock when I come home.

Probably the first time in five years with a legitimate backlog now, between PS4 and Switch (among other real life matters).

Would be a difficult sell for us to spend $500 CDN on this immediately.

I have a healthy backlog right now but the summer drought is real this year. After May until September I don't think there is anything big coming out outside the FFXII remake for me.

Lothars

Yeah, honestly expecting MS to likely gauge what kind of reception the reveal gets and maybe adjust the price slightly or bundle in something if the reception isn't as good as they were expecting.

Unlike Sony with the Pro, MS to me seems like they really really need this to be a success. It is the start of their "no generations" hardware release cycle after all.
I agree they do but I don't think they are going to adjust anything regarding the price at least initally.

You guys are going Digital or Physical with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?
I have it pre-ordered on Amazon Prime for the sweet discount, but now I am thinking that having Mario Kart 8 digital is not a bad idea since it is one of those games that I will be playing always for a quick fix.

Gitaroo

I don't believe the no generations cycle will never ever work unless they are planning to close shop after 5 years. At some point you have to cut off Xbox One as the hardware is way too outdated. I don't see how games still can even still runs on xbone in 10 years. We have already seen how cross gen games holding back on new consoles every single generation. If they are phasing out older hardwares like iphone model then there is still a generational gap.

I have it pre-ordered on Amazon Prime for the sweet discount, but now I am thinking that having Mario Kart 8 digital is not a bad idea since it is one of those games that I will be playing always for a quick fix.

Digital. It's a game I like to keep on the system. Same with Puyo Puyo.

Physical, always physical.

Grimsen

Switching carts on Switch fucking sucks, so I'm thinking digital.

Switching carts on Switch fucking sucks, so I'm thinking digital.

What do you mean by fucking sucks?

Nintendo+Switch+Cart.gif

kevin1025

Banned

Physical at EB Games. I might be going digital from then onward, though, since Amazon Prime doesn't have release day delivery on any of the Nintendo stuff.

tiijj

I wanna go digital for mk8 too but with amazon prime you save $18. I might get it like a week or so after the release but $18 is still a big savings.

And I agree digital is really convenient for games like mk8 and puyopuyo.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
I picked up The Last Guardian TRU order today. I haven't been there in ages, very bad customer service I must say.

My order total before taxes was 27$ yet the taxes were 4$ which doesn't make sense.
and they wouldn't give me the 10$ voucher advertised on their website if you choose an in store pick-up, they said your order must be at least 50$ but it did not say so anywhere on the website :/

farisr

I don't believe the no generations cycle will never ever work unless they are planning to close shop after 5 years. At some point you have to cut off Xbox One as the hardware is way too outdated. I don't see how games still can even still runs on xbone in 10 years. We have already seen how cross gen games holding back on new consoles every single generation. If they are phasing out older hardwares like iphone model then there is still a generational gap.
There will absolutely be a cut off no doubt, I don't think they meant that with "no generations". But basically the latest hardware won't ever be "the new generation" since at least one previous hardware model will have to be supported and active while that's on the market. There won't ever be a case, like with Scorpio for instance, where Scorpio is the only Xbox console on the market that games are being made for. That's what they mean by no generations.

antibolo

Banned

Yes, it's going to be pretty much exactly like the iOS model. Which is working fine, although with consoles it's probably going to be slower cycles.

X-Factor

It takes maybe 10-20 seconds of time to swap out a cartridge and put it back in a box or case.

Magnus

It takes maybe 10-20 seconds of time to swap out a cartridge and put it back in a box or case.

Annoying and clumsy process if you're in public, on public transportation, etc.

I say this as a formerly (and recent!) ardent defender of all-physical for mobile, console, fuck, even PC if possible, but you just can't get over the convenience once you start going digital. I'm considering digital for all games now if they're priced competitively with (or better than) physical, except for the few physical CEs I have to have (hi Blizzard games).

Vinc

Man this pisses me off I called every single store in Edmonton yesterday before ordering online from BB and none of them had a clue when more were arriving

Did they lie or does Nintendo actually just surprise them on random mornings?

Having just gone to an EB store to pick one up, it seems they do get surprised on random mornings. Cashier said they never know when to expect them, but they just got a huge shipment of them after not getting them for 3 weeks straight. Looks like Nintendo was holding them back so they could all arrive at once, since the drip-feed of 1 or 2 controllers per store every week was pissing off everyone.

tiijj

Having just gone to an EB store to pick one up, it seems they do get surprised on random mornings. Cashier said they never know when to expect them, but they just got a huge shipment of them after not getting them for 3 weeks straight. Looks like Nintendo was holding them back so they could all arrive at once, since the drip-feed of 1 or 2 controllers per store every week was pissing off everyone.

And it is a lot more economical to have them ship a batch once than sending them out 1 or 2 weekly or every few days

It's just weird to me

I worked at The Source for 6 years and I could enter a sku into the POS and see how many were in stock and how many were in transit. It wasn't possible to be surprised because as soon as the shipment was scanned out from the distributor our system reflected it. Even for Nintendo products, I always knew when we would have Wiis arriving.

And The Source had a really shitty POS/technical setup, I figured EB would be more sophisticated.

Anyways I don't wanna derail the thread, just poor and would rather have traded some stuff into EB for a cheaper controller than paying full price on Best Buy's website.

Back to the deals discussion!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Man this pisses me off I called every single store in Edmonton yesterday before ordering online from BB and none of them had a clue when more were arriving

Did they lie or does Nintendo actually just surprise them on random mornings?

Store level employees dont really know what they'll be receiving. Ignorance rather than malice.

I worked at EB Games 10 years back (height of the Wii craze) and we would get a box or two with assorted goods based on what head office sent the store.

And The Source had a really shitty POS/technical setup, I figured EB would be more sophisticated

Its not trust me. Their system was outdated 10 years ago.... They still use the same system.

Vinc

It's just weird to me

I worked at The Source for 6 years and I could enter a sku into the POS and see how many were in stock and how many were in transit. It wasn't possible to be surprised because as soon as the shipment was scanned out from the distributor our system reflected it. Even for Nintendo products, I always knew when we would have Wiis arriving.

And The Source had a really shitty POS/technical setup, I figured EB would be more sophisticated.

Anyways I don't wanna derail the thread, just poor and would rather have traded some stuff into EB for a cheaper controller than paying full price on Best Buy's website.

Back to the deals discussion!

Idk, I've been calling the store near me for weeks and they always tell me they have no way of knowing what's coming. Maybe they just want to give everyone a fair shot at getting them, but that seems counterproductive. They can also hold a product aside for 3 hours if you call and promise to pick it up within that timeframe. Could just be that only managers get to see what's coming down the pipeline.

Edit: Btw, it was the first time I shopped there in about a decade. I can't believe how dreadful they can be with the upselling. Took 20 minutes at the store waiting in line because each customer took 5+ minutes to check out, just because they had to keep saying no to all the upselling stuff.

"Anything you want to pre-order with that?"
"No thanks"
"You sure? You know a new Red Dead is coming, right? It'll be hard to find at launch, and for just 5 bucks you can secure your copy"
"No I'm good"
"Your loss! But do make sure you protect this controller you just bought, lots of people are returning them for defects"
"I'm alright"
"You sure? For just 10 dollars you can extend the warranty from 90 days to a full year, and the manufacturer is bad at shipping back products"
"Yeah I'm good."
*Visibly annoyed* "Alright, your loss. Do know that we can only accept returns for 30 days."

Not going back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom