• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Discussion Thread

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Just give us a screen that can swivel to the vertical orientation for better NDS/3DS compatibility. Other games could use it too.

Last edited:

pachura

Just give us a screen that can swivel to the vertical orientation for better NDS/3DS compatibility. Other games could use it too.
Hmmm, but it would only make sense if there were 2 screens, and I don't think there's a market for that nowadays.
Also, you would be paying for a second screen that would just display map or inventory 90% time

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Hmmm, but it would only make sense if there were 2 screens, and I don't think there's a market for that nowadays.
Also, you would be paying for a second screen that would just display map or inventory 90% time
No second screen necessary. I'm thinking about something like the flip grip, but built into the console.

Power Pro

Lies No GIF

I want the Switch 2 to either have a 3D screen or be a VR headset/handheld combination.

I need Nintendo to be innovative again.
Nothing except bolded is in the cards. Switch will be more a powerful souped-up iteration of the current model, since it worked so well in 2017.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Nothing except bolded is in the cards. Switch will be more a powerful souped-up iteration of the current model, since it worked so well in 2017.
Most likely, but look at the 3DS. The DS was already such a huge success, then Nintendo still took a chance and made their next handheld even cooler.

tr1p1ex

The form factor is made for VR. Whether or not the tech is there for that at a cheap enough price yet is a ? In the minds of VR enthusiasts it wouldn't be. They need ~4k per eye. But Nintendo would be looking at VR from the perspective of WiiSports. Simple graphics and fun. Would a 1080p screen be enough for that? And remember it's still a Switch 2 so it wouldn't be the main/only focus.

wireless stream to tv? Saw that in a post above. What does that gain if anything? Maybe less hassle to play on the tv? Wouldn't have to dock it and take out the controllers. Just play on Switch and hit a button and then you're also playing on the tv. Gives you ability use the touchscreen in conjunction with the tv. And ability to do 4 swords/Nintendoland 2 screen stuff. But that means dock would be more expensive as it needs wifi to receive a stream. And for what gain overall?

Camera...seems like a sure thing in some regards. The possibility to photograph the room for use as backgrounds in games ala Mario Kart Home Circuit? SEems fairly cheap to include a camera. But the smartphone can do some of that too. And is any of this new enough?

pico projector....probalby not cheap enough nor the tech small enough. But if the Switch could project an image on a wall so you wouldn't need even a tv to play on a bigger screen that would be fun especially for a young audience.

...tbc

BlackTron

Most likely, but look at the 3DS. The DS was already such a huge success, then Nintendo still took a chance and made their next handheld even cooler.

Yeah, and it backfired on them.

My take is that Switch 2 will focus on being a better Switch. It will have something new like 3DS but doubt it will be the "main gimmick", pushed heavily, or in the name of the console like 3D was. Example -the PS5 is not called the PS Sense. They just made a better controller and packed it in. Sony is not beating you over the head with it. It's primarily a box that plays games and that's their pitch, not some new hardware gimmick.

I think N has likely learned to focus on the core pitch of the system being playing a good library of games conveniently. Getting to play it in 3D, or on a tablet, or an IR pointer, or with fancy rumble, it's all ancillary, even if they pack it (and new stuff) in.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The form factor is made for VR. Whether or not the tech is there for that at a cheap enough price yet is a ? In the minds of VR enthusiasts it wouldn't be. They need ~4k per eye. But Nintendo would be looking at VR from the perspective of WiiSports. Simple graphics and fun. Would a 1080p screen be enough for that? And remember it's still a Switch 2 so it wouldn't be the main/only focus.
1080p is about equivalent to the original PSVR which came out in 2016. There are some good PSVR1 games, but they all feel extremely dated when compared to something like the Quest 2 (and especially Quest 3) which would be Nintendo's main competition in that space. I just don't see them entering this market space without making a dedicated unit that has everything built into the headset like the Quest. Making a Switch console AND a VR headset bundle I think would be the same sort of death knell that Microsoft had with their forced Kinect bundles.

Zannegan

Gold Member
I want the Switch 2 to either have a 3D screen or be a VR headset/handheld combination.

I need Nintendo to be innovative again.
The 3D screen was cool, but it's prohibitively expensive, expecially as it's not a widely-adopted technology. Something like head-tracking 3D could be very convincing at a fraction of the cost. The problem with both, though, is that they would only work in handheld mode. Even so, I'd love to see anything HD-2D in 3D... ironically.

As for VR, I've said this before but having something as heavy as the Switch bolted to your face would be incredibly cumbercome and cause neck strain for many. A better solution would be a chest/back mount for the console and a lightweight (and hopefully inexpensive) headset that plugs into the USB-C port.

IF the Switch 2's gimmick was low-latency wireless streaming to the TV (like the Wii U, but in reverse), then you could even have a completely wireless headset, though it would need more sensors to track the joycon.

Speaking of, improved joycon tracking is one of my most hoped for gimmicks for the Switch 2. Not every game needs motion controls, but itmf you're going to have them, they should work nuch better than the current Switch's do. I used to dream of Valve lighthouse tech, but I'd be happy with cameras and inside-out tracking. Probably way too expensive to have in a controller, alas.

tr1p1ex

1080p is about equivalent to the original PSVR which came out in 2016. There are some good PSVR1 games, but they all feel extremely dated when compared to something like the Quest 2 (and especially Quest 3) which would be Nintendo's main competition in that space. I just don't see them entering this market space without making a dedicated unit that has everything built into the headset like the Quest. Making a Switch console AND a VR headset bundle I think would be the same sort of death knell that Microsoft had with their forced Kinect bundles.
Don't get me wrong. They aren't going to bundle in some expensive VR headset. Opposite really. Labo VR was proof of concept for what I'm thinking. And VR would delivered via the Switch 2 trojan horse where you really aren't paying for VR.

WiiSports VR is the VR Nintendo would do. Simple, clean graphics and fun. Did WiiSports looked dated in 2006? How well did it sell?

LaboVR was just too blurry. But if PSVR was 1080p there's a glimmer of hope for VR hidden in a Switch 2.

If they didn't include anything they would do another Labo VR type of product.

Last edited:

pachura

For VR they would need a 90 Hz screen, ideally not pentile, and a way to track joycons. Not gonna work.

I would however welcome Ring Fit 2, with dedicated sensors and/or fitness bands integration (the current way of using IR for reading pulse doesn't work most of the time).

Kataploom

Gold Member
Auto upscale for old games would be amazing, even better if they bring frame generation at system level or so, like something you can enable or disable

Power Pro

One of the features that I don't see many people talk about with the Switch 2 that I am actually really curious about is storage. So many games are all about needing that SSD speed now, and one of the biggest faults for games that even look and run fine on the current Switch, has been load times. I doubt we're gonna see SSDs in Switch 2, but I wonder what they're gonna do.

On top of internal storage, what form are physical games gonna take this time. Game sizes keep getting bigger, and so many publishers cheaped out on full size carts for the Switch because they were too expensive to print supposedly. Are we gonna keep dealing with 1gb carts and 32gb downloads required again...hopefully it won't be that dire, but I wouldn't surprised if it was close.

Kataploom

Gold Member
One of the features that I don't see many people talk about with the Switch 2 that I am actually really curious about is storage. So many games are all about needing that SSD speed now, and one of the biggest faults for games that even look and run fine on the current Switch, has been load times. I doubt we're gonna see SSDs in Switch 2, but I wonder what they're gonna do.

On top of internal storage, what form are physical games gonna take this time. Game sizes keep getting bigger, and so many publishers cheaped out on full size carts for the Switch because they were too expensive to print supposedly. Are we gonna keep dealing with 1gb carts and 32gb downloads required again...hopefully it won't be that dire, but I wouldn't surprised if it was close.
Actually, it's well known by this following leaks that Nintendo is using some Samsung proprietary nvme like solution for storage, it falls short a little in speed compared to Xbox Series (2.1 GB/s vs 2.4 GB/s) but still very much in the same ballpark

Power Pro

Actually, it's well known by this following leaks that Nintendo is using some Samsung proprietary nvme like solution for storage, it falls short a little in speed compared to Xbox Series (2.1 GB/s vs 2.4 GB/s) but still very much in the same ballpark
Really? hm. Considering Nintendo never went above 64gb on the Switch internal storage, I can't imagine it'd come stock with a decent size. And I just can't see Nintendo being the kind of company that would let people install their own SSD since it's not quite as plug and play as an SD card.

Hohenheim

I just want good sticks/buttons and for it to be comfortable to hold.
So hard to go back to the Switch after getting used to the Steam Deck and Rog Ally.
Because of those devices I'll probably play it docked 90% of the time, but still.. I hope it's a comfortable device.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I hope it looks fun like the original with the colors and not try to be drab high techy only like some portable PC switch wannabes coming out recently (but of course it should still feel solid and not like cheap plastic toy).

Also have a d-pad this time, it can still work as buttons for that kind of minority of games that use it as a stand alone controller on the side, no need to compromise most of the library for the % that might use it like this.

Heck, it could be like a d-pad on both joycons, so many games these days use the shoulder buttons and triggers for the primary action stuff that a d-pad for secondary that a right d-pad is perfectly fine as buttons too...

I wonder if they could also have some ambigram-but-not type deal that looks like arrow directions from one side, then like b, a, y, x when tilted 90 degrees in that direction to use like a mini gamepad, lol, probably not.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Really? hm. Considering Nintendo never went above 64gb on the Switch internal storage, I can't imagine it'd come stock with a decent size. And I just can't see Nintendo being the kind of company that would let people install their own SSD since it's not quite as plug and play as an SD card.
Well, someone correct me if the Samsung solution is for internal, external or both storages.

The leak suggest 256GB in 4 modules of 64GB each of that type of memory.

Zannegan

Gold Member
Most fake videos and anmouncements are awful, but I thought this one was well done:

The little lights flashing for magnet connection really does seem Nintendo-like, even if the trailer is more Apple-esque. I could see them doing something like that to bring back the sensor bar.

Top Bottom