• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

Looking at XCOM 2 WotC on Steam makes me grateful for GMG...

$53.49 CAD on Steam, but $39.99 USD on GMG, which comes to less than $50 still... +25% off currently (so $29.99 USD)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Careful etta or you're next if you stan for Bioshock too hard.

We all know Prey is the superior immersive sim. Maybe the best ever!
Prey is great, but it sucks compared to Bioshock.
But it’s still incredible, it’s just that Bioshock is once in a lifetime type thing.

PewDiePie says the n word thread.

Said PC outrage culture is at work.

It was a deserved ban.
People are making a bigger deal out of it than they should, though. How many streamers say the word, but because PDP has the most subscribers, it makes more waves.
Stan should’ve known GAF isn’t the right place for that discussion, though.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So it's ok for him to say it because other people say it on streams?

Those people should be reported on PSN/XBL/Steam, it's pathetic

It's not ok... who said it was ok. But I don't want to bring that argument here, I just wanted to say Stan should've known better than to take that stance here of all places, his point wouldn't be actually seen for what it is. I really hope it's not a perm ban because it would be a shame.

Must be a generational thing. The appeal of watching someone play a video game with their own chit chat commentary confuses me (oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg)

Games are my quiet time.

So this EB 2x trade in...anyone (successfully) parking the credit on some 2018 game in order to eventually transfer it to a OneX ?

I know it's permitted for games i.e. Can move credit between games

But I know the Switch 2x promo some clerks were firm that you can't move the credit at all

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Must be a generational thing. The appeal of watching someone play a video game with their own chit chat commentary confuses me (oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg)

Games are my quiet time.

Same for the most part.

giphy.gif

And it's hardly a Canadian gaming deal.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yea I don't really get why streaming is so big, and more importantly why people especially kids would rather watch people play instead of playing themselves.

Stopdoor

Can you pre-order at Best Buy in-store? For a backup copy of Metroid this Friday when Amazon fails to deliver it until mid-next week.

Lmao you guys are awesome. Love that south park episode

I guess this (YT streaming/yelling while gaming) is what replaced EGM magazine, GamePro and Nintendo Power.

Firestorm

Let's Plays aren't for me but I know people around my age who enjoy them too. If you find someone you like following because you enjoy their personality and humour, it's a relaxing way to check out a game while you do other stuff or just before sleep. Sometimes people don't own the system/game or wanna check it out before buying. A lot of people I know have it on while they do other stuff (cooking, cleaning, coding, drawing, etc) which you can't do if you're actively playing a game. Kinda like home & garden or cooking channels. With how many releases are coming out these days, it kinda makes sense. It lets you join the conversation without the time commitment.
People are making a bigger deal out of it than they should, though. How many streamers say the word, but because PDP has the most subscribers, it makes more waves.
Stan should've known GAF isn't the right place for that discussion, though.
They're not. It's the biggest personality on YouTube who was already using Nazi imagery trying to pass it off as "jokes man!!!" then saying the n-word as a replacement for asshole while angry during a video game. Pewdiepie has a very large following among children. The perfect amount of a deal is being made out of it. Calling it outrage culture is eye-rolly.

etta

my hard graphic balls
They aren't allow to buy it/don't have money for it?
Yea I suppose, but I can't relate. I wouldn't do it myself in those situations, I'd rather find something else to keep busy with.
Let's Plays aren't for me but I know people around my age who enjoy them too. If you find someone you like following because you enjoy their personality and humour, it's a relaxing way to check out a game while you do other stuff or just before sleep. Sometimes people don't own the system/game or wanna check it out before buying. A lot of people I know have it on while they do other stuff (cooking, cleaning, coding, drawing, etc) which you can't do if you're actively playing a game. Kinda like home & garden or cooking channels. With how many releases are coming out these days, it kinda makes sense. It lets you join the conversation without the time commitment.
This makes more sense to me, but I still wouldn't do it myself. If it's a game I would enjoy, I'd rather save it to play for myself.

ahdurian

reasons i watch streamers, even as an adult
  1. I like the streamer's personality. amusing / fun enough to keep me entertained while doing other stuff
  2. I don't own the system. I don't have a gaming PC or a 360/One, so watching them play games on those are fun and let's me partially experience the game
  3. I don't have money for the games they play. Plenty of games that I could buy / play on the PS' or Switch I don't have the money for or the time to dedicate to it, but i still want to experience it. Destiny 2 is a recent example

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Its not even a money thing. My boss is a millionaire and his kids love watching Minecraft videos on YouTube even with Xbox 1s and PS4s. Streaming culture's popular with kids especially.

If people wanna debate the PDP incident its got its own thread.

<3 you all as stan used to say. Peace

So did anyone read that post on rfd about the poster meeting a Nintendo representative at Wal-Mart and being told that there will be enough stock of the SNES Mini to go around on launch date?

Stan should’ve known GAF isn’t the right place for that discussion, though.

Not that this is the topic for it but yes, saying nigger during your streaming session isn't appropriate and if you're a streamer with 60 million subscribers it matters more than some random dude with 12 followers on Twitch. Do you think saying nigger during your stream is appropriate because otherwise I really don't get where your going with this. This is the reason I don't use a mic during online games.

Firestorm

Yea I suppose, but I can't relate. I wouldn't do it myself in those situations, I'd rather find something else to keep busy with.

This makes more sense to me, but I still wouldn't do it myself. If it's a game I would enjoy, I'd rather save it to play for myself.

Yeah, I always say I'd rather play than watch a Let's Play but then I just never end up doing either lol. I actually find the conversation around a game (whether it's with friends or online) to be a really big part of the experience so if I wait too long and the hype/chatter is dead, then I have a lot less incentive to play something.

I really regretted skipping Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Fallout 4 because my friends were sharing so many stories back and forth about their time in game after release. I think I was too busy around the release anyway but it sucked not being able to be a part of it. No intention of playing them now though.

(This is also why I hate when people go "Why buy games at launch? It'll still be there 6 months later!")

If people wanna debate the PDP incident its got its own thread.
I really don't want to debate this with random people on GAF which has grown way too large for me to care about but you brought it into this thread for some reason.

So did anyone read that post on rfd about the poster meeting a Nintendo representative at Wal-Mart and being told that there will be enough stock of the SNES Mini to go around on launch date?
1. They might not work directly for Nintendo. Nintendo, like a lot of other companies, uses experiential/field marketing agencies for a lot of their campaigns.
2. Come on dude. You know better than to believe that.

1. They might not work directly for Nintendo. Nintendo, like a lot of other companies, uses experiential/field marketing agencies for a lot of their campaigns.
2. Come on dude. You know better than to believe that.

Nintendo's reps (at least in Canada) work directly for the company.

They're still massively uninformed though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ya bronetta, why did you bring it into this thread, you little shit

I didnt mean to do that. I was just sad to see him get banned. Us Canadians, we're like family.

Ride for la familia

Outside of competitive gaming tournaments I rarely watch streams. Lately I've turned into a few destiny 2 streams to get an idea of what it's like.

Trogdor1123

I'm looking to get an e reader for reading novels before I go to bed. I'm thinking the Kindle Paperwhite but the screen seems too small(is it?) I have a surface but it's too big and heavy to ready books on. Any suggestions? Anything I should avoid? Any help is appreciated.

jzbluz

I'm looking to get an e reader for reading novels before I go to bed. I'm thinking the Kindle Paperwhite but the screen seems too small(is it?) I have a surface but it's too big and heavy to ready books on. Any suggestions? Anything I should avoid? Any help is appreciated.

Are you reading PDFs? Otherwise a 6" screen is good enough since you can change the font size. Also, if you're planning on getting ebooks from the library, then a kobo is better.

Mr.Towel

I got the kobo aura one recently and I'm really enjoying it. Good sized screen, nice and flat and light. If you have access to library ebooks it has the overdrive catologue integrated into the store so you can download them right from a wifi connection rather than having to plug it into a computer like the other models. Downside is it's their most expensive model ($250), and I would definitely see the price tag turning some people off.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone in Ottawa or in Canada looking for a Astro 40TR (with Mixamp Pro) for Xbox/PC?

Won it at Dreamhack in MTL this past weekend. Unfortunately I don't have much use for it so I'm going to try to sell it.

jokkir

I ordered a parka from Amazon the other day and it was finally shipped today via Purolator. Checking the weight and it says it's 21 lb.

What. What are they sending me

DVCY201

I ordered a parka from Amazon the other day and it was finally shipped today via Purolator. Checking the weight and it says it's 21 lb.

What. What are they sending me

They're sending the animals for the fur trim and stuffing...alive. There is some assembly required lol

jokkir

They're sending the animals for the fur trim and stuffing...alive. There is some assembly required lol

Haha

Actually, I talked to their CSR when I ordered because the page listing showed something entirely and I wanted the "small black/orange/brown" one but the same price as I purchased. They said don't worry and it'll be the correct order.

I'm thinking they might be sending me 3 parkas?

This is the page listing:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BC48AUU/

If you go to black/orange/brown, it's their winter N-3B parka and not the bomber jacket which the listing says.

ElNino

Yea I don't really get why streaming is so big, and more importantly why people especially kids would rather watch people play instead of playing themselves.
If my kids are any indication, they watch the streams while playing games themselves. It still doesn't make any sense to me though.

etta

my hard graphic balls
If my kids are any indication, they watch the streams while playing games themselves. It still doesn't make any sense to me though.
Yea my brother does that too. Doesn’t make any fucking sense.
Or watches Netflix while playing.

kevin1025

Banned
I only watch presentations and conferences on stream, and occasionally Dark Souls/Bloodborne streams since some streamers give awesome advice and I can learn off of them.

Corey31

Yea my brother does that too. Doesn't make any fucking sense.
Or watches Netflix while playing.

I'll sometimes put on something but it depends on the situation.

If I'm playing one of my zen games (Destiny daily bounties, Minecraft, random sports game, random puzzle games) I will sometimes watch YouTube/Netflix at the same time. Normally stuff I've already seen before like one of my favourite sitcoms.

If I'm sitting down to enjoy the latest story-based game though I'd never consider doing anything else but focusing on the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom