• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having second thoughts on the new 3DS. I pre-ordered the new 3DS Samus edition, but am now wondering if I should have just forked out the extra cash for the Switch. Should I go for the Switch instead?

Nope dont have 3DS or a WiiU. My last Nintendo console was the original NES (or the NES Classic Edition if you count that)

Oo. Hmm, I would personally get the Switch. 3DS has a good library but if you've gone 6 and a half years without it, it's probably for the best to get the new system that'll keep getting games in the next few years. Plus Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, and Odyssey are a pretty kickin' way to get back in the groove.

Oo. Hmm, I would personally get the Switch. 3DS has a good library but if you've gone 6 and a half years without it, it's probably for the best to get the new system that'll keep getting games in the next few years. Plus Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, and Odyssey are a pretty kickin' way to get back in the groove.

I do have some 3DS games that were given to me, one of the reason i pre-ordered the 3DS.

I do have some 3DS games that were given to me, one of the reason i pre-ordered the 3DS.

Either way you're not really going wrong. On 3DS you can get the N64 Zeldas, Xenoblade, and Kid Icarus: Uprising among others, which are still total musts.

Maybe wait until the Direct this wednesday before making a final decision? Hopefully we might get some better updates about what's in store for Switch, since if it gets a robust Virtual Console sometime soon to play catchup, that'd make it more of a no-brainer. That still leaves 2 days of time until the Samus 3DS comes out unless it ships early.

I so wish the Kid Icarus game could be ported with slightly better visuals to the Switch.

Man am I easily in the same camp. I was hoping for Uprising HD to happen on Wii U since forever ago. Switch would be even better. One of my favourite games of all time and having a more traditional dual-stick setup might help make it more accessible to people who wrote it off or it didn't click with before.

Either way you're not really going wrong. On 3DS you can get the N64 Zeldas, Xenoblade, and Kid Icarus: Uprising among others, which are still total musts.

Maybe wait until the Direct this wednesday before making a final decision? Hopefully we might get some better updates about what's in store for Switch, since if it gets a robust Virtual Console sometime soon to play catchup, that'd make it more of a no-brainer. That still leaves 2 days of time until the Samus 3DS comes out unless it ships early.

Well lets hope EB lets me cancel the pre-order if it comes to it. Could trade the 3DS games in for BoW if i need to.

Then I say go for the 3DS. The 3DS has a massive library of amazing games that are not coming to the Switch. This becomes a no-brainer with the DS library.

I don't know why I constantly forget the 3DS can play DS games when conversations like this come up. Wow, you really can't go wrong either way.

BubbaGum

Neo Member
You could get any 3DS relatively cheaply by buying refurbished straight off of Nintendo's site, with the cheapest being the 2DS at $79, which comes with the charger.
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/ca/po/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat750771
Your Samus New 3DS XL won't come with a charger FYI. If I were you (and the games you got aren't New 3DS exclusive) I'd buy a cheap 2DS and get a Switch instead.

Chrono Trigger? And you said you didn't have anything past the NES? i.e. Including the SNES?

...Yeah. Get the 3DS.

Well the games I was given are:

chrono trigger DS
Link Between Worlds
Ocarina of Time
Arkham Origins Blackgate
New Super Mario Bros DS

I only owned the NES, I have alot found memories of the SNES from playing at friends. Beyond the SNES, Nintendo is pretty foreign to me

You could get any 3DS relatively cheaply by buying refurbished straight off of Nintendo's site, with the cheapest being the 2DS at $79, which comes with the charger.
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/ca/po/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat750771
Your Samus New 3DS XL won't come with a charger FYI. If I were you (and the games you got aren't New 3DS exclusive) I'd buy a cheap 2DS and get a Switch instead.

Cheap 2DS has too small of a screen. 2DS XL could be an option but its only a $40 difference from the 3DS XL. I bought a $5 charging cable for the 3DS already.

Ventara

Well the games I was given are:

chrono trigger DS
Link Between Worlds
Ocarina of Time
Arkham Origins Blackgate
New Super Mario Bros DS

I only owned the NES, I have alot found memories of the SNES from playing at friends. Beyond the SNES, Nintendo is pretty foreign to me

Don't pass on Link Between Worlds. One of the best 3DS and Zelda games ever. Switch may be the new hotness, and justifiably so, but now is the best time to pick up a 3DS, and it's perfect for someone like you who never had a DS.

leeman

Looks like TheSource gave up with SNES pre-orders, available at launch instead

Fdj16HM.jpg

Also, Amazon moved the SNES out of the pre-orders category, so that's not a good sign...

krae_man

Fdj16HM.jpg

Also, Amazon moved the SNES out of the pre-orders category, so that's not a good sign...

"We have rescheduled out sight going down in a blaze of glory for a second time to Sept 29th."

Corey31

"We have rescheduled out sight going down in a blaze of glory for a second time to Sept 29th."

At least at that time the people attempting to get one will be spread out amongst all the sites. They should cleverly time their release right at the same time a bigger site like Amazon puts it up.

jholmes

I'm having second thoughts on the new 3DS. I pre-ordered the new 3DS Samus edition, but am now wondering if I should have just forked out the extra cash for the Switch. Should I go for the Switch instead?

By all means get a 3DS, you have some great games for it and it's a good little platform, and if portability is key you may find it works for you better than the Switch which is a lot bigger. With that said unless you're a Metroid diehard (it sure doesn't seem like you are) try to get one used or get something at a discount because you are paying a real premium for that thing.

chrono01

Fdj16HM.jpg

Honestly, at this point I'm kind of happy we've finally got a confirmation, as checking the websites multiple times every day for the next couple of weeks isn't exactly appealing to me. At least now it's only one day I have to check (release date), in the hopes that I can manage one.

JDH

Anyone know of any listings for the Japan Super Famicom version that will be going live? I haven't really heard anything of those ones? I'd love to import one.

chrono01

Anyone know of any listings for the Japan Super Famicom version that will be going live? I haven't really heard anything of those ones? I'd love to import one.
Just that it'd be the middle of this month, nothing concrete.

I'm with you though, I'm hoping to pre-order one of those for myself too.

jokkir

I don't even know go I managed to snag a pre-order while on my slow phone internet and having to confirm my visa checkout login in a place with bad signal

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yeah, I talked them last week.

It's because I didn't have Prime, lol.

Prime should affect shipping speed, not when they actually send it out. What a sham.

sikkinixx

Question: will EB give me grief for having opened my PS4 some time ago to clean out the fans? I just reallized looking at it that I never replaced a few of the "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED!" stickers when I cracked it open a couple years back.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Question: will EB give me grief for having opened my PS4 some time ago to clean out the fans? I just reallized looking at it that I never replaced a few of the "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED!" stickers when I cracked it open a couple years back.

I doubt they check. Definitely didnt check when I traded my PS4.

They checked when my friend tried to trade his in.

YMMV

NYR

YMMV

When there was the Dual Shock trade in promotion last month, I traded in a sixaxis and they were not supposed to take it.

lilty

When I traded mine in for a slim they didn't even plug it in to see if it worked.

sikkinixx

Hmm okay sounds like the typical EB where they do whatever they feel like. I might cut a tiny square of black electrical tape and put it over the exposured screw. It works fine and everything, just don't want any grief.

Fularu

Banned
Yeah I have a 6s and have no need to upgrade.

I have a 6+ and browsing has become next to unbearable. Not enough memory and pages crashing constantly but I don't want to pay Apple's exhorbitant prices... If only my family would move away from Facetime/iMessenger...

I am on a 6 and want to upgrade this year. Kind of annoyed that they decided to do this split release with an uber model. I really want the iPhone X form factor with the larger screen in a smaller size but I don't really give a shit about OLED, which is driving costs up and causing production issues. I also don't like the idea of just settling for an 8 because of the cost of an X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom