• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBoy

I've become a big believer in the mid-range phone.

I upgraded my phone this year to a Zenfone 3 Zoom when it was on sale earlier this summer ($429). And I got my wife the "standard" Zenfone 3 when it was an Amazon deal of the day about a month ago. My key criteria for a phone are that it's got decent performance and that it's got a good camera and a version of Android that's relatively current. The Zenfone ticks both those boxes.

My first great smartphone was an iPhone 4 (my first smartphone overall was an HTC Touch with an unlimited data plan from Bell). After my contract was up a few things pretty much guaranteed I wasn't going to get another iPhone -- at that point, the shift to two-year contracts was in its early stages (thanks to the CRTC's wireless code). I was still able to get a good retentions contract at the time, but couldn't pair it with an iPhone. So I wound up getting a Nexus 4 instead, figuring that if I absolutely couldn't stand Android, I could buy an iPhone outright. I was able to get another phone with my contract last time I renewed, but wound up buying the Zenfone outright this time, because Bell isn't going to subsidize anything anymore without kicking me off my retentions deal onto some crappy off-the-shelf plan.

I haven't minded Android. I don't love it, but I don't think there's a ton that separates the two systems. The Google integration in Android is pretty nice, but I think Apple's got a better app ecosystem (there's more and I think it's better curated) without the question of "will my phone have an up-to-date OS over the course of its lifespan?"

Sober

This is why I just get a phone...as a phone, and a little bit of texting and internet searching on the side.

Don't need to waste $1000 for super retina, faster capacity, zillions of gigabyes, enhanced pixel count phones :eek:ldman:
Again, some people use their phone as basically their main computing device, so I mean it makes sense to drop that kind of money on it. Others build a pc for that price, or get a laptop, etc.

CazTGG

DJi58CqUEAAegPm.jpg

You could build a mid-range PC for that money.

Trogdor1123

Was looking at coming from my 6p to an apple phone and watch for my wife and I but this this just too much to entice me to leave an eco system.

Maybe the pixel XL 2 will be more attractive.

Wedge7

Wasnt blow away, but overall I like the X phone. I get a new iphone every year, and give my old one to my parents. Works out well for us, I always get new tech, and they get my hand me downs. Price is not great, but I'm too integrated into the apple stuff now, as I'm sure many are, so its whatever. Using an iphone, ipads, have macbooks, imacs, its too convenient at this point. Just wish I didnt have to wait till November.

BubbaGum

Neo Member
Wasnt blow away, but overall I like the X phone. I get a new iphone every year, and give my old one to my parents. Works out well for us, I always get new tech, and they get my hand me downs. Price is not great, but I'm too integrated into the apple stuff now, as I'm sure many are, so its whatever. Using an iphone, ipads, have macbooks, imacs, its too convenient at this point. Just wish I didnt have to wait till November.
What do your parents do with their old phones if they get relatively new ones every year?

etta

my hard graphic balls
So has anyone pre-ordered an iPhone in limited supply at midnight here? Is it doable?
I don’t think $1,300 is that bad, I was expecting $1,599.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I’m at $70/mo with 3GB data, which is more than double of what I use since I used to be on 1GB and only went over that limit only on a few occasions. I’m definitely getting the X but I’m scared it will go out of stock too fast. I’m gonna stay up until midnight to pre-order it but I’ve never done it before with Apple, and the stuff I read was scary, like them running out within seconds.
And it launches a full month later than the 8, and only a two months before the end of the year. If I don’t get one at midnight I don’t think I’ll be able to get any until January.

I'm a fan of buying old flagships at discounted prices. Unless there's a hardware flaw, you know you're getting high quality. Low-end and midrange phones may have cut corners.

I’m at $70/mo with 3GB data, which is more than double of what I use since I used to be on 1GB and only went over that limit only on a few occasions. I’m definitely getting the X but I’m scared it will go out of stock too fast. I’m gonna stay up until midnight to pre-order it but I’ve never done it before with Apple, and the stuff I read was scary, like them running out within seconds.
And it launches a full month later than the 8, and only a two months before the end of the year. If I don’t get one at miding I don’t think I’ll be able to get any until January.

I am hoping the high price point will scare people away from Canadian stock but that probably won't be the case.

If I don't get it day one I will live but I hope the wait won't be that long. I will be waking up at 3am EST for it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I am hoping the high price point will scare people away from Canadian stock but that probably won't be the case.

If I don't get it day one I will live but I hope the wait won't be that long. I will be waking up at 3am EST for it.
Oh fuck it’s 3 AM EST??
Fuck me sideways.

Also I really really love how it’s only slightly bigger than my 4.7” 6 but has a much bigger screen. The Plus models are too gigantic for my hands and pockets, and the X has an even bigger screen.

Oh fuck it’s 3 AM EST??
Fuck me sideways.

Also I really really love how it’s only slightly bigger than my 4.7” 6 but has a much bigger screen. The Plus models are too gigantic for my hands and pockets, and the X has an even bigger screen.

This is what it's all about for me.

tiijj

Well even at a higher price point I doubt it will deter hardcore fans and those people will probably pay a lot more than the higher price range since the rumor is that stock is low, scalpers will surely grab it and resell it for higher than high price point.

etta

my hard graphic balls
When does the 4K iTunes roll out, I like that they upgrade your library for free.
I might get the Apple TV for that, but with an Xbox and Android built into the Sony TV already... hmmmmmmmmm.

When does the 4K iTunes roll out, I like that they upgrade your library for free.
I might get the Apple TV for that, but with an Xbox and Android built into the Sony TV already... hmmmmmmmmm.

Same issue. With Android on my TV and Google TV and Movies giving me an option for 4k already, I don't really need an Apple TV. The good news is, I hope, that the price parity between HD and 4k on Apple's platform will force Google and other digital platforms to do the same.

$9.99 4k rentals on Google Play is ridiculous.

Kyolux

Love you guys!

See you on the other side! I'm getting surgery tomorrow morning.

(take 2, first try was delayed last minute)

Savitar

Love you guys!

When you wake up all the SNES Classics will be sold.

SOLD.

Be well.

Speaking of SNES Classics, just saw this on amazon.ca so guessing no pre orders:
BRAND NEW. Item expected to be released on Sept 29. Will ship on Sept 29 or between Sept 29 to Oct 1 due to possible delay. Free upgrade to expedited shipping with tracking and insurance from BC

iLLmAtlc

Hey you guys see Hillary Clinton's new book at superstore or walmart? I was hopeful that the book would be big enough to be released there but I just finished work and I'm too lazy to go check

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Love you guys!

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom