• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if Sony drops the Pro to $400, a $300 difference between the two would be ridiculous.

Indeed, but I just don't see Sony cutting anytime soon either (on the Pro). They won't do it unless (a) there is pressure to do so (from MS) or (b) bill of manufacturing goes way down (from a die shrink). The CAD is just too unstable.

My guess is that we go at least until E3 2018 before price cuts hit the high end stuff. For now the savings should be almost entirely at the low end where both sides are happy to sell at/near cost to fight it out over key holiday periods.

antibolo

Banned
Microsoft is going to need some exclusives I care about before I spend dough on that Scorpio.

Hell most of the games I play on my PS4 aren't even on Xbox (mostly Japanese games, indies, and first party).

farisr

Honestly, anything higher than $499 and I'm not buying. (which basically means I'm not buying. LOL)

I'm expecting $599-649 CAD. With a $50-100 drop within a few months as is usual with MS in Canada.

I'd rather spend money on getting a Switch instead. Already have a XB1S.

Microsoft has been one of the nicest companies on the Canadian dollar conversions in the last few years.

$649 is still a possibility, but also pretty much DOA at that price.

Microsoft has been one of the nicest companies on the Canadian dollar conversions in the last few years.

$649 is still a possibility, but also pretty much DOA at that price.

Yeah that's the thing. Even if they're nice and go $649 (and let's be real, that is a pretty nice thing for a company to do given the value of the dollar) it's still way too high for most people here to be interested I think.

kevin1025

Banned
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/849973715550879744

C8u2jZkUQAET12J.jpg

675d0830d324d4753761f5b4e780f00b.png

Good luck, friendos

If exactly that price, it's $757 with tax. That's real gross.

I wish the Xbox division the best, but that thing will not sell here or in other markets at that price unless they throw infinite money behind exclusives.

As much as I love Forza, Gears, Halo, and Rare... I'll hold out for a better PC rather than dive in at that price level.

Just to test the waters, any Canadians planning to or willing to pay that high level? I'm curious now!

Banjo Threeie + maybe 4 new non-shooter Xbox console exclusive IPs that look really good would be what it would take me. Otherwise, I'd rather just get a better gaming PC - at $649 you can pretty much build one.

Just to test the waters, any Canadians planning to or willing to pay that high level? I'm curious now!

At this point they would need to announce several megaton software announcements for me to pick it up at such a high price. I get most of my games on ps4 and pc and thats where my friends play which is a huge deciding factor.

Even still with must play first party software Microsoft has been releasing them on PC so there is that to consider as well.

soultron

Banned
I don't own a XB1 or a 4K TV right now. (Might not ever own the latter, at least not in the next few years.) If E3 turns out to be good for MSFT, I'll probably just get an XB1S.

Library is the biggest thing holding me back, not specs and/or performance. I have a PS4P, PC, and a Switch. It's all about exclusives at this point.

jet1911

If exactly that price, it's $757 with tax. That's real gross.

I wish the Xbox division the best, but that thing will not sell here or in other markets at that price unless they throw infinite money behind exclusives.

As much as I love Forza, Gears, Halo, and Rare... I'll hold out for a better PC rather than dive in at that price level.

That would be riiiiiiiiiiiidiculous haha.

farisr

Absolutely not. Especially for a system with no exclusives. (I saved up that much for a PS3, but even for that, even with exclusive games, I decided on spending that money on a 360 instead at the time)

Some features are neat (like BC running better, 4k60fps HDR Game DVR) but it's not enough to justify spending that much.

I'll stick to my XB1S + PC for UHD blurays and Xbox games.

Have a feeling they'll come out with a much better system, at a much more reasonable price point within a year of PS5's release. That'll likely be the next MS system I get (if there are still MS first party games I'm interested in that is).

Banjo Threeie + maybe 4 new non-shooter Xbox console exclusive IPs that look really good would be what it would take me. Otherwise, I'd rather just get a better gaming PC - at $649 you can pretty much build one.

Not only that, but didn't MS confirm that ALL of their future 1st-party games are PC-bound anyway?

Dazzler

That potential Scorpio price is nuts, I haven't even bought a PS Pro yet, so I'll wait for a price drop on both

In other news, popped into my local shoppers this morning and they had a Switch just sitting on the shelf, guess stock levels are normalizing a little

That potential Scorpio price is nuts, I haven't even bought a PS Pro yet, so I'll wait for a price drop on both

In other news, popped into my local shoppers this morning and they had a Switch just sitting on the shelf, guess stock levels are normalizing a little

It just means that Prix/SDM is still getting random switch stock and nobody else was looking this morning. They've been randomly getting stock in since launch but since it's so random folks don't often look there.

While I admire Microsoft's approach here, I think it's a bit late for this. I've already got the PS4 Pro and Switch, and an OK PC to game on. They're gonna have to work hard for my monies.

Until MK8D releases in 3 weeks then no stores will have any.

Just wish I could find one in an EB store to use all of this credit before then. My store got stock yesterday and sold them out within 20 minutes. Some of us have jobs and can't camp out EB Games...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just wish I could find one in an EB store to use all of this credit before then. My store got stock yesterday and sold them out within 20 minutes. Some of us have jobs and can't camp out EB Games...
Have you considered performing "favours" for an EB employee to help you out? ;)

Yes they did. So my purchase scenario for a $650 console would only be if they break that word.

I hate to say this but if all of Microsoft's games turn out as badly as Forza Horizon 3 did, you may yet have use for a Scorpio even if Microsoft didn't technically break their word.

Dazzler

It just means that Prix/SDM is still getting random switch stock and nobody else was looking this morning. They've been randomly getting stock in since launch but since it's so random folks don't often look there.

Well, if anyone's looking for a switch in Vancouver and can't find one, the SDM on West Broadway @ VGH has a grey one in stock

Porkepik

Not above 500$ for me , pricepoint of the pro a year later. I would not pay more. Even less incentive as I don t have a 4k tv and no VR yet announced. My pro is worth it for psvr, not sure for 1080p even if its a bit nicer when supersampling is there.
I m thinking of replacing my pc if its 650 or above

Lexxism

Not above 500$ for me , pricepoint of the pro a year later. I would not pay more. Even less incentive as I don t have a 4k tv and no VR yet announced. My pro is worth it for psvr, not sure for 1080p even if its a bit nicer when supersampling is there.
I m thinking of replacing my pc if its 650 or above
Well, there's a supersampling in Scorpio

Well, if anyone's looking for a switch in Vancouver and can't find one, the SDM on West Broadway @ VGH has a grey one in stock

Honestly reminds me of the PS3 launch, when basically half the programmers at our studio near downtown just ran out to all of the London Drugs to grab 20GB models and sell them on ebay...

trixx

maybe there will be a promotion where I can trade in my xbox one s and end up paying an extra $300...

hahaha.

Over 500 is crazy. I think the cheapest I can see it at is 549. Oh sht 649 with conversion at the cheapest? Damn

Lexxism

maybe there will be a promotion where I can trade in my xbox one s and end up paying an extra $300...

hahaha.

Over 500 is crazy. I think the cheapest I can see it at is 549. Oh sht 649 with conversion at the cheapest? Damn
If it is really 649/700, good luck paying just an extra $300 on it. It might be $250 at best.

Nicodemic

Right now, PS4 Pro is 399$ US and 499$ CAN.

With conversion, it should be 535$ CAN.

I think a 499$ US Scorpio could put it at 599$ CAN. We'll know soon enough...

Right now, PS4 Pro is 399$ US and 499$ CAN.

With conversion, it should be 535$ CAN.

I think a 499$ US Scorpio could put it at 599$ CAN. We'll know soon enough...

I highly doubt Microsoft makes it $70 cheaper in Canada than the US, but I suppose we will see.

Honestly, just like the OG PS4, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 Pro price increased here in Canada.

I don't see how MS expects to see a good attach rate on the scorpio at that price with their lineup.

At least Sony has the exclusives to support two console versions.

MS? Probably not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom