• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you mean by still? It never was claimed to be more powerful as 1080 or even 1070. You probably hyped it up in your imagination

I don't follow Scorpio so I have no idea how strong it is lol. Was guessing it would be somewhat close to 1080. Well at ~$500US might as well spend more and get a 1080.

Mimosa97

Honestly unless you're a massive Halo fan or all of your friends game exclusively on Xbox, what's the point in buying an xbox console right now or a Scorpio in the future ? You get the same multiplats on PS4 and a ton of great exclusives. There are 0 interesting exclusive games in the works on Xbox. What are you gonna play ?

I loved the 360 but it doesn't make any sense to buy an xbox right now.

Cru Jones

I don't see how MS expects to see a good attach rate on the scorpio at that price with their lineup.

At least Sony has the exclusives to support two console versions.

MS? Probably not so much.

Attach rate in gaming is number of games sold per console. I don't think you're using it correctly here.

Maybe you're looking for market penetration?

kevin1025

Banned
Honestly unless you're a massive Halo fan or all of your friends game exclusively on Xbox, what's the point in buying an xbox console right now or a Scorpio in the future ? You get the same multiplats on PS4 and a ton of great exclusives. There are 0 interesting exclusive games in the works on Xbox. What are you gonna play ?

For me it would be Gears, Forza, Crackdown, and Rare games. But all their recent versions are PC, too, so it breaks the allure. Plus there's a big chance that Halo 6 will be like Gears and have cross-play. I have a fairly old PC (i5-3570k with a new GTX 1060), and I ran all of the holiday 2016 games perfectly. For the Scorpio games coming in the fall, I'm sure I'll need to bump up my motherboard and CPU, but that will still be potentially a few hundred less than the Scorpio, which is a crazy thought.

As great as Play Anywhere is for gamers, it's not so great for their console push.

But another Forza game isn't going to move Scorpios the way Horizon sold Pros.

You're right. I'm in the minority, but a Forza Horizon game would turn my head some, but that's because I have a soft spot for open world racers. Forza 7, or if the Forza 6 Scorpio test is any indication, a Forza 6 Scorpio Edition, would not be a major selling point. I think Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, and State of Decay 2 is the rest of their holiday push, along with some Scorpio patches. I don't know if that will move the needle.

Pretty much this.

Scorpio feels like a system for the current Xbox customer/fan, and maybe something for someone who really cares about resolution but doesn't want to spend money or time investing in a PC (I think that audience is really limited, though)

But another Forza game isn't going to move Scorpios the way Horizon sold Pros. To bring in new people and expand their marketshare they need to really diversify that lineup. Because so far in 2017 what have Xbox only gamers been playing? Mass Effect and Resident Evil?

kevin1025

Banned
My Pro controller arrived! It's a lot heftier than I was expecting, but I love the feel of it.

And now my 64GB micro SD card just shipped from Amazon. I got it for $24.99 with the adapter, if anyone is interested. It's mega cheap, not sure why, haha. I was in Best Buy two days back and they were nearly double the price.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00XWPB85Q

Gitaroo

PSVR was $499 converted to $699.

Hope you plan on spending $800

I got my PSVR for 500CAD before tax, thanks bestbuy gadget 10% off discount promo. Was 1070 800 bucks at launch? I saw 1080 for 630 CAD on reflag on ebay newegg store yesterday, if I have to wait until next spring I would. I don't want to jump on pascel as they architecture does not support asynchronous compute.

Vinc

When I bought GEM from the web eShop, the web eShop said it'd start downloading on my Switch the next time it gets woken from Sleep Mode.

It's a shame that it can't actually download from sleep mode, at least when it's docked. I think the Wii U periodically wakes up from sleep to go into low power mode and see if any updates need downloading. I wonder if the Switch does that too.

antibolo

Banned
So I decided to buy GEM as well because why the hell not.

Funny thing, my current balance was 5 cents short, so I used my credit card to pay up that missing measly 5 cents. I know Sony gets a lot of shit for having that $5 minimum rule for adding funds, but I can't help but wonder how much Nintendo has lost in processing fees for doing a 5 cent credit card transaction...

soultron

Banned
It's a shame that it can't actually download from sleep mode, at least when it's docked. I think the Wii U periodically wakes up from sleep to go into low power mode and see if any updates need downloading. I wonder if the Switch does that too.

I can see the feature being added later on but I miss it too. Just another aspect of the Switch kind of feeling like it's still in a "soft launch" firmware phase, IMO.

It'd be nice to have a feature to remotely send+start+run downloads (and software updates) if the Switch is docked or otherwise connected to a power source.

EDIT: here's what post-purchase web eShop screen looks like, if anyone's wondering. (Not my screenshot. Another poster in the GEM OT provided this.)
eAd77X9.png

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Unless you are a fan of Sony first party or JRPG whats the point of getting PS4?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Agreed

IF you have a capable PC sure. Then only I see that argument flying.
I guess it depends. If you are looking for a UHD player and don't have an S, then Scorpio could be a good option since even Sony doesn't seem to care about the format.

But when you hit the 800 dollar range... you're in mid-range PC territory and the value proposition becomes trickier.

Kyolux

Shipping woes.

Ordered a 2.0 hdmi wire and a female to male hdmi separately on Sunday.

Received the former yesterday, with the package envelope opened, it was weird.

Didn't receive the latter though, and found out it was now in Halifax. (I'm in the Ottawa region for those that don't know/care to remember).

So amazon gift card refunded both at least, but I'm bummed I'm not receiving the latter this week. Tired of risking messing up my pro's hdmi connection by constantly switching hdmi for vr / hdr.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll get here sometime next week. Not going to bother re ordering since it wouldn't show up tomorrow anyway.

eyesradar

I guess it depends. If you are looking for a UHD player and don't have an S, then Scorpio could be a good option since even Sony doesn't seem to care about the format.

But when you hit the 800 dollar range... you're in mid-range PC territory and the value proposition becomes trickier.

My thoughts exactly. $800 can get you a really nice desktop setup to do a lot of things nowadays.

Gitaroo

UHD BD drive is coming coming out soon for PC though, first from poineer is 200 USD but price would rapidly come down once the competitions are in.

kevin1025

Banned
I can see the feature being added later on but I miss it too. Just another aspect of the Switch kind of feeling like it's still in a "soft launch" firmware phase, IMO.

It'd be nice to have a feature to remotely send+start+run downloads (and software updates) if the Switch is docked or otherwise connected to a power source.

EDIT: here's what post-purchase web eShop screen looks like, if anyone's wondering. (Not my screenshot. Another poster in the GEM OT provided this.)

That's neat! I'll be buying GEM in a week or so (too many games!!), I'll try this route out just for fun.

antibolo

Banned
Right, but the person who is interested in incrementally upgraded hardware is pretty likely to have some level of interest in PC gaming.

That's a weird assumption. You don't need to be a PC gamer to want improved graphics.

Anyway I have no interest in sparking a PC vs. console war in this thread, all I'm saying is there's a market for Scorpio because believe it or not, some people just prefer to play video games on consoles. The fact that most Xbox console exclusive games are also on PC does not matter to them.

joedick

Whoa, people still use 'M$'? I haven't seen that in like 20 years! Never understood why Microsoft is so hated while other giant corporations like Apple and Google are celebrated.

But Anyways! That Colour Splash deal reminded me of a question I wanted to pose here. Now that I'm a Prime member, I'm wondering how people shop for deals on amazon.ca. I know there's the deals section, but most of it doesn't seem that great, and discounted items like Colour Splash are left out. Do you just keep checking items you're interested in hoping for a discount? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Socreges

Banned
Whoa, people still use 'M$'? I haven't seen that in like 20 years! Never understood why Microsoft is so hated while other giant corporations like Apple and Google are celebrated.
Easy there, pal. eyesradar is one person.

Microsoft gets as much shit as Sony, Nintendo or Apple. I agree that Google doesn't get enough shit, but that's largely because of how they present themselves.

balohna

I know Color Splash murdered the first born of every big Paper Mario fan, but as a casual fan of the series with no real attachment to it I liked the game for what it is. It's like a laid back adventure with charming visuals and writing. The combat system is kind of bad though just in that it gives you so many tools and no real need to experiment with them.

I mostly just had fun trying to 100% the stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom