• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart last month...

cwy9nVQh.jpg

This is one of the reasons I feel Nintendo was far more careful about NES Classic and Switch shipments.

kennah

Got the hard cover breath of the wild guide today for just under $30 taxes and shipping in. Super pleased about that. Thanks for posting about the book sale.

SickBoy

FYI: The new PSN flash sale is up...

I'm sure it's not strictly true, but it feels like 90% o what goes on offer on sales like this are just a selection of the usual suspects...

I'm not sure what games I actually want, but I've been sitting on a chunk of PSN (and XBL) credit for a while and I'm really interested when these sales happen... but haven't really found much at all.

Firestorm

I think discontinuing the NES Classic to free up resources for Switch production seems the more likely explanation? NES Classic is a one time purchase. They need Switch in more people's hands asap to keep momentum going and create an install base for more game and accessory sales. Maybe they'll bring back the NES Classic after? Otherwise it's absolute insanity to stop making a system you haven been able to keep in stock for 6 months

SickBoy

I think discontinuing the NES Classic to free up resources for Switch production seems the more likely explanation? NES Classic is a one time purchase. They need Switch in more people's hands asap to keep momentum going and create an install base for more game and accessory sales. Maybe they'll bring back the NES Classic after? Otherwise it's absolute insanity to stop making a system you haven been able to keep in stock for 6 months

What kind of resources would they be freeing up, though?

- They still have a big cash pile AFAIK, so it shouldn't be financial (and as you mention, why would they not want to continue offering the Classic if they're selling out regularly?)
- It's not like there's some Nintendo-owned factory somewhere running at capacity (and even if there was, that shouldn't be a limiting factor... maybe capacity at electronics manufacturers like Foxconn is just that tight?)
- I guess maybe ramping up Switch production could put some pressure on them from a logistics standpoint?

One suggestion I've read is that maybe they're discontinuing it with the intent to bring it "back by popular demand" this coming holiday... after they've revised it slightly to remove that USB connector people have been using to load it up with hundreds of games. That's my current favourite conspiracy theory.

Any way you slice it, it's kinda baffling.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What kind of resources would they be freeing up, though?

- They still have a big cash pile AFAIK, so it shouldn't be financial (and as you mention, why would they not want to continue offering the Classic if they're selling out regularly?)
- It's not like there's some Nintendo-owned factory somewhere running at capacity (and even if there was, that shouldn't be a limiting factor... maybe capacity at electronics manufacturers like Foxconn is just that tight?)
- I guess maybe ramping up Switch production could put some pressure on them from a logistics standpoint?

One suggestion I've read is that maybe they're discontinuing it with the intent to bring it "back by popular demand" this coming holiday... after they've revised it slightly to remove that USB connector people have been using to load it up with hundreds of games. That's my current favourite conspiracy theory.

Any way you slice it, it's kinda baffling.

It was a holiday initiative to drive up hardware revenue when the WiiU was dead and 3DS hard to find.

It sucks that it spent most of its time out of stock but it was never a long term product. I always saw it as a limited time holiday thing to increase hardware revenue.

jokkir

Neon Joycons are finally restocked on Best Buy so it's time to replace mine that keep disconnecting.

Hopefully they take the older ones I used for almost a month without hassle :\ Anyone have experience returning used controllers to Best Buy?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Neon Joycons are finally restocked on Best Buy so it's time to replace mine that keep disconnecting.

Hopefully they take the older ones I used for almost a month without hassle : Anyone have experience returning used controllers to Best Buy?

I dont know about Best Buy but if you call Nintendo they'll repair it for free.

Don't look up the new on eBay.

I agree that they'll likely release it again, but remove the hacking exploit. Then again piracy sunk the PSP but hasn't really affected 3ds sales, so what do I know.

SickBoy

Yeah, I think that's actually a better solution, because who knows if it's still a lottery with the stock that's available at retail.

I exchanged my iffy Joycons on the first weekend and was lucky to get a good second set, but if Nintendo had been repairing them then, I likely would have gone that route.

Finally decided I wanted a Switch. I missed Walmart and The Source by 10 minutes each yesterday. Called every Shoppers Drug Mart and Best Buy near me, no luck. Any advice? I guess I just need to get lucky.

Kade

Still nothing on the new Amiibos? I could order from US sites but I had bad experiences the last and only two times I did that.

leeman

Finally decided I wanted a Switch. I missed Walmart and The Source by 10 minutes each yesterday. Called every Shoppers Drug Mart and Best Buy near me, no luck. Any advice? I guess I just need to get lucky.

Not in stock anywhere online at the moment, but it has been restocking fairly steadily, so you probably won't have to wait all that long

jokkir

I'd probably only do that if it was after the return period so I can get the controllers back as soon as possible. But yeah, my grey controllers have an issue too so I need to send those to Nintendo while the neon ones I keep with me.

trebbble

Deal?

Ravpower USB C power bank - 20100mah

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01IVO53D0/

$55.99 with charger - which is a good price - but if you read in the charger, there's a coupon code (KS5JPQE4) you can use to get a discount from it's old price - $85.99

Long story short, if you use that code, it's $42 bucks, shipped, taxes in, which is a fantastic price for a USB C power bank that can be used with the Switch, MacBooks, etc.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
Deal?

$55.99 with charger - which is a good price - but if you read in the charger, there's a coupon code (KS5JPQE4) you can use to get a discount from it's old price - $85.99

Long story short, if you use that code, it's $42 bucks, shipped, taxes in, which is a fantastic price for a USB C power bank that can be used with the Switch, MacBooks, etc.

I'm interested in getting, how fast is it's free shipping?

EDIT:

this thing is a great value for what's with it

What's In the Box:
1 x RAVPower 20100mAh External Battery Charger
1 x 2 Micro-USB Cables
1 x Travel Pouch
1 x User Manual
1 x Micro USB to Type-C converter
1 x QC3.0 CHARGER

and it charges to full in 5.5 hrs!

anyone tried this brand before in terms of quality?

RS4-

Ravpower and Anker are great for batteries.

I don't know if there's still guidelines about carrying it on a plane, last time I looked, there was an mAH limit and that it had to be carry on.

edit - oh, after reading baconcow's reply, I guess it isn't much of a deal. Personally, I don't have a switch, but just from experience with both brands for charging other stuff and for travel.

baconcow

Deal?

Not that great of a deal, if you want it for the Switch. Also, I would look at Benson's list to see if that included wall charger is any good. The wall charger included in their newer 28600 powerbank one wasn't approved and they pulled it. The newer 28600 newer one does, however, now come with a USB-C to USB-C cable. It also is one of the few powerbanks to include power delivery (PD), able to charge the Switch at up to 15V/2A (30W) using USB-C PD. The one you listed charges the Switch at up to 5V/3A (15W). So, for $24 more (edit: not including coupon code), you get 20100 to 28600 and USB-C to USB-C PD.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LRW4DUC/

This is also the one tested by Digital Foundry. It hasn't been also tested on Reddit and charges the Switch faster than the 20100 non-PD one. While $42 is not bad, that powerbank does not include the newer USB-C PD technology and has a lower capacity.

Edit: Been researching these and Anker powerbanks, a lot, and have come to the conclusion that this is the best choice for the Switch, right now. Going to be picking it up, soon. May leave a future post, with impressions. You do need a proper wall charger for it, but it is important to get one approved by Benson. Note: The Switch USB-C AC adapter does charge the powerbank, but at 5V/3A and doesn't appear to include PD. in other words, this powerbank should theoretically charge the Switch faster than it's own AC charger.

AtlantiC_CodeX, there are a lot of impressions for RAVPower (and Anker) on Reddit, and people speak quite high of them.

eyesradar

Any recommendation for a decent wall charger to go with the said power bank?

My current go-to switch charger is this Anker 18w charger with a powerline+ usb A to C cable.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B016LO4UTA/

Wondering if there is a better and slimmer choice out there since this one fits a little bit tight (sliiiiightly too thick) in my Zelda SE switch pouch.

nnPGMPpl.jpg

Savitar

I've been trying to decide on a charger myself, original I planned to buy the Aukey 30000 but had to wait a bit after getting the Switch and by the time I went to order they were sold out, bah.

sj00

I've been trying to decide on a charger myself, original I planned to buy the Aukey 30000 but had to wait a bit after getting the Switch and by the time I went to order they were sold out, bah.

I managed to get this one before it sold out. Thing's super durable and rugged, but really huge and heavy. Love it though!

Renewed

Had an issue now where my right grey JoyCon wouldn't connect to my Switch in handheld mode, leaving me stuck with one separate style JoyCon and one handheld style JoyCon. I think I'm gonna return both together and see what Nintendo can sort out.

In the meantime, $30 Titanfall for me.

Edit: Wait what Bayonetta is on Steam? Where the hell have I been?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Had an issue now where my right grey JoyCon wouldn't connect to my Switch in handheld mode, leaving me stuck with one separate style JoyCon and one handheld style JoyCon. I think I'm gonna return both together and see what Nintendo can sort out.

In the meantime, $30 Titanfall for me.

Edit: Wait what Bayonetta is on Steam? Where the hell have I been?
Follow this and you won't miss new threads with news like that.

https://twitter.com/NeoGAFNewThread

Any recommendation for a decent wall charger to go with the said power bank?

My current go-to switch charger is this Anker 18w charger with a powerline+ usb A to C cable.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B016LO4UTA/

Wondering if there is a better and slimmer choice out there since this one fits a little bit tight (sliiiiightly too thick) in my Zelda SE switch pouch.

nnPGMPpl.jpg

I also want to know this. I want to use my Pro Controller cable, but I need a charger too.

Firestar

Some people in this thread said they had luck getting Amazon to stop using a courier, is there a trick or does it only work for their own courier?
I've asked them 3 times now to stop using Purolator. I just let a package from them return to sender (because it's out in the middle of god damn nowhere and only open 9-5) and what do they do? Send me the replacement using Purolator of course. (sorry for shipping rant)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Some people in this thread said they had luck getting Amazon to stop using a courier, is there a trick or does it only work for their own courier?
I've asked them 3 times now to stop using Purolator. I just let a package from them return to sender (because it's out in the middle of god damn nowhere and only open 9-5) and what do they do? Send me the replacement using Purolator of course. (sorry for shipping rant)
You used to be able to put a fake PO Box number to force Canada Post, but that was a while ago.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't know how definite this news is, but how many of you guys remember when Nintendo said they'd discontinue the 1st Smash wave after everyone was hunting down the trinity? We still got restocks in the end. Production maynot be priority for now, but I won't put it past Nintendo to revisit Nes Classic, maybe just in time for SNES Classic in the future.
You never know. Take a look what Nintendo posted about the Famicom mini also ceasing production.

Update: The Famicom Classic Edition, the Japanese version of the mini-NES, has also ended production. Yet Nintendo phrased this announcement in an interesting way on its Japanese website:

This product has ended production for now. When production is being resumed, we will tell you on our website.

There’s no telling whether this is a “temporary” discontinuation or a permanent one, but that the company is leaving room open for a possible return is curious.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/13/15293030/nes-classic-edition-discontinued

Whales

Banned
Yeah. Never heard of them.
The internet tells me they're bad.

I get them everytime

They deliver to me pretty early in the morning which is nice, but they literally never knock on the door, they just leave the package on the ground and try to hide it...

Mimosa97

Just received a targeted email from Sony (first time ever) with a promo code that expires 4/5/17. Do they mean april 5th or may 4th ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom