• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDH

WTF Amazon?!

So I pre-ordered the PSVR AIM Controller + Farpoint bundle and just got a cancellation email:

Amazon.ca said:
Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're sorry to report the release of the following item has been cancelled:

"Playstation VR Aim Controller Farpoint Bundle - PlayStation 4 Aim Controller Bundle Edition"

Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it won't be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we've caused you.

We've cancelled this item from your order.

Your order is now closed.

So they aren't releasing this anymore? Or is this Amazon's way to get out of pre-order discounts? This is the second time I had an pre-order cancelled on me.

$120 for a couple of blocks of plastic and a tiny board. Nintendo is not taking any prisoners this gen, they really are the Apple of the Video Game world, gotta pay that tax.

58ba28f91c25825843bb9af0_Nintendo%20Switch-1425.jpg

In fairness, you don't want to ignore that tiny board. USB-C isn't cheap and neither is HDMI. That's likely why the price of the dock is higher than expected. Also, factor in the shitty CAD.

Gitaroo

WTF Amazon?!

So I pre-ordered the PSVR AIM Controller + Farpoint bundle and just got a cancellation email:

So they aren't releasing this anymore? Or is this Amazon's way to get out of pre-order discounts? This is the second time I had an pre-order cancelled on me.

I got a different email for this, they said the item listing is incorrect, it was suppose to be game + controller, if this is actually what I am looking for I don't have to do anything if not I should cancel it. Don't have the email anymore but my order is still there for showing $50.

Lorddd, Bell has some dumb reps. I canceled my service since I'm going home for the summer, and they sent the shipping label to the house number - no city or anything, just the house number, province, and postal code. I had a feeling that I should have asked her to repeat my address back, but I didn't want to come off as rude.

Does anyone here by chance know how the Canada Post authorized returns work? I don't want to have to call Bell again.

eyesradar

Now we have $20 straps, $40 charger, $100 joy-cons, and a $120 dock.

So please NoA how a about a standalone console/screen replacement for $100, then you can make your own damn customized Switch.

tbh I think Nintendo should try make some "limited edition" joycons and docks with a lower profit margin. $120 for a pile of plastic pieces is ridiculous. I'll happily spend ~$50 for a game-themed dock or more for some special joycons. That combines with the standalone screen thing is a basically "shut up and take my money" scenario.

People complain about EB. I went into a Game in England today and they tried to sell me their version of the Edge card claiming that it will still work in Canada since they are the same company.

I did find a 2.50 pound copy of Virtua Tennis for Vita though.

Fularu

Banned
what? USB-C cables are like $5

The dock isn't a USB-C cable, it's a docking station that can power/charge the device while also having high grade HDMI output and is a USB-C hub. Contrary to what people believe, those are prety expensive (especially the power/charge paert).

It's highly unlikely that Nintendo is making Apple like margins on it.

jokkir

Just returned those joycons to best buy. That was the easiest return I've done. They just scanned it, out my signature and card. They didn't even check inside the box

Good job, best buy

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
USB C is great for future proofing but Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to license quick charge.

It took me like 3 hours to charge my Switch last night. My phone charges fully in less than half that.

True Fire

I really want red joycons. Is my best bet to wait for Bestbuy/Amazon restocks?

I'm also paranoid that Nintendo is going to do seasonal colours, and phase out red and blue. Their supply chain management this gen is appalling, but I suppose it's the lesson they learned from Wii U.

leeman

I'm also paranoid that Nintendo is going to do seasonal colours, and phase out red and blue. Their supply chain management this gen is appalling, but I suppose it's the lesson they learned from Wii U.

As far as online, yes, the only available Joy-Cons in any color besides Black are the Neon ones which can be backordered from TheSource.ca

http://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/gamin...eft-and-right---neon-red-and-blue/p/108064012

Otherwise they are currently sold out everywhere online...

Moltenix

Got my email receipt for my Walmart Neon Switch from Friday.

Estimated delivery date is this upcoming Friday. Don't let me down Walmart & Canada Post!

jokkir

I saw several at EB Games by the Eatons Centre (outside location) and they had red/blue. Sold out last time I checked thouggh but they might have restocked

I achieved my dream (of about 4 days) and got a Switch today. I set up Now In Stock alerts so if Walmart/The Source/Amazon restocked I'd get a text but I was never fast enough. This morning I called EB Games at my local mall and the woman who answered said they didn't have Switches and they weren't being told when they'd get new ones in. Apparently since the NES Classic people have been following couriers around waiting for EB Games deliveries, so the staff were no longer being told when Switches were coming in (I smell BS). This contradicted the second hand information I had received on Thursday saying they were expecting a shipment early this week. Around noon, the EB Games website said they were in stock at the mall location, I had my wife call (since I felt weird about calling back so soon), and yes, they had one and they'd hold it for us if we could get there soon. We rushed over and now I have a grey Switch. Woo. It's an impressive little machine.
Going all digital on this thing is going to be a pain, $90 games are rough.

Still no prime discount on yakuza kiwami.

Wth?

Just pre-order it and complain if it doesn't auto-adjust before it ship.

At best it will auto-adjust and there will be no mention of the prime promo on your invoice so you'll be able to complain that it's "missing" and you'll get an even bigger discount.

eyesradar

Using the new Amazon.co.jp system to import a game for the first time.

3K6eOU5l.jpg

Apparently they don't charge you Sales taxes if you are importing. Only duties and fees. Also Japanese publishers tend to discount their game for pre-orders. So at least this time I'm getting FE echoes for less than Japanese MSRP's (5,400yen in eshop), shipping and duties included.

Their AmazonGlobal shipping is really affordable compares to playasia's. Just don't know who's fulfilling for them (DHL for most asian countries apparently).

Now I'm expecting my game to arrive 3 days after release. That's totally acceptable as Amazon Canada sometimes screw up and delay my stuff for a week. I'll report back after.
Looks like playasia/yeaasia faces some serious competition now.

Using the new Amazon.co.jp system to import a game for the first time.

3K6eOU5l.jpg

Apparently they don't charge you Sales taxes if you are importing. Only duties and fees.

Their AmazonGlobal shipping is really affordable compares to playasia's. Just don't know who's fulfilling for them (DHL for most asian countries apparently).

Now I'm expecting my game to arrive 3 days after release. That's totally acceptable as Amazon Canada sometimes screw up and delay my stuff for a week. I'll report back after.
Looks like playasia/yeaasia faces some serious competition now.

In my experience importing CDs from Amazon Japan, shipping is extremely quick--we're talking delivery two days after placing the order. You have a decent shot of getting the game even sooner than your 3-day window.

It's a big reason why Amazon.co.jp's started to get more of my business, though I keep throwing business CDJapan's way because their pre-order system is better for some things (you can add items to an unshipped order!) and because I want to keep supporting the David versus the Goliath.

eyesradar

In my experience importing CDs from Amazon Japan, shipping is extremely quick--we're talking delivery two days after placing the order. You have a decent shot of getting the game even sooner than your 3-day window.

It's a big reason why Amazon.co.jp's started to get more of my business, though I keep throwing business CDJapan's way because their pre-order system is better for some things (you can add items to an unshipped order!) and because I want to keep supporting the David versus the Goliath.

Yeah I order stuff from CDJapan and sometimes my SO order cosmetic stuff from their cosmetic department too. Their system is indeed great. And they always have stock for most of these hard-to-find, sub-culture stuff.

Also while Amazon JP's packaging is already meticulous, CDJs' sometimes is tedious lol. Never received any bend posters or other damaged goods.

I believe they also have an active support account on WeChat if you want quick responses. But sometimes Amazon's price is really hard to beat...

antibolo

Banned
Amazon Japan's international shipping is fucking awesome. They use DHL but they pre-clear the customs at a good price, so you're guaranteed to not get hit with the insanely high surprise import fees that DHL usually charges on delivery. Plus they may even reimburse those fees if it turns out they were somehow not needed (don't ask me how it works).

Yeah I order stuff from CDJapan and sometimes my SO order cosmetic stuff from their cosmetic department too. Their system is indeed great. And they always have stock for most of these hard-to-find, sub-culture stuff.

Also while Amazon JP's packaging is already meticulous, CDJs' sometimes is tedious lol. Never received any bend posters or other damaged goods.

I believe they also have an active support account on WeChat if you want quick responses. But sometimes Amazon's price is really hard to beat...

I've had one package from Amazon get damaged in transit, leading to broken CD cases. Despite ordering more from CDJapan over the years, I've never had a single package come damaged. Could just be luck, though, but those puppies are well packed for sure!

Hedgey

Amazon Japan's international shipping is fucking awesome. They use DHL but they pre-clear the customs at a good price, so you're guaranteed to not get hit with the insanely high surprise import fees that DHL usually charges on delivery. Plus they may even reimburse those fees if it turns out they were somehow not needed (don't ask me how it works).

Yeah, DHL is the one thing that kills it for me.
I live in an apartment building with no buzzer code set-up. When Persona 5 came out last year I waited 4-5 hours in the lobby so I wouldn't miss the delivery, lol.
Amazon Japan is fantastic all-around. I never paid for Prime while I was living in Japan, but packages always came next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom