• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Haha nah he hates Ayn Rand. But I think he is naive or sheltered somewhat. Very much an idealist, all about "freedoms" but not really understanding the deeper ramifications of everything.

Mr.Mike

That's what I thought too. I asked him some questions just now. He says he will vote for Gary Johnson in the next presidential election, that's the candidate of the Libertarian Party. He says that while he doesn't agree with him on everything, he's the candidate that better reflect his views.

But here's the thing; he doesn't like Clinton, but likes Sanders. He says he wants small government and low taxes, but agrees that taxes should go into social safety nets and basic human rights (he considers healthcare to be among those, as well as schools, roads, the FDA, etc. - he says saying otherwise is too anarchist). He says he hasn't thought about taxes much because he doesn't know enough about "the math".

Anyway, I'm not gonna go into more details 'cause it's off-topic but I just found it amusing how he considers himself libertarian, but if he lived here in Canada he'd definitely vote like NDP or Liberal haha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism

Liberalism is a political philosophy or worldview founded on ideas of liberty and equality. Whereas classical liberalism and European liberalism prioritise liberty, American liberalism and social liberalism stress equality. Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally they support ideas and programs such as freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, free markets, civil rights, democratic societies, secular governments, and international cooperation.

There might already be an ideology that he fits into, better than libertarianism.

gabbo

Haha nah he hates Ayn Rand. But I think he is naive or sheltered somewhat. Very much an idealist, all about "freedoms" but not really understanding the deeper ramifications of everything.

He's certainly confused on what label he should be affixing himself with, but at least he's involved, if somewhat misguided

Tiktaalik

Looks like "Sunny Ways" only goes so far.

Premiers balk at Trudeau's carbon-pricing plan

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau won agreement from the premiers on a broad strategy to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions and build Canada’s clean economy, but could not gather enough support for a national minimum carbon price.

In a first ministers’ summit on Thursday, the Prime Minister and premiers agreed that additional action is needed to meet and exceed Canada’s international commitment to reduce GHGs by 30 per cent from 2005 levels by 2030.

The Vancouver summit fulfilled a Liberal election promise to hold a first ministers’ meeting on global warming within 90 days of the Paris climate conference, in which 196 countries concluded an agreement aimed at holding global warming to less than 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels to avert the worst impacts of climate change.

But Mr. Trudeau was unable to win support for another of his election pledges: to establish a minimum carbon price that would apply across the country but allow provinces to choose the approach and collect the revenue. Leaders endorsed the need for some form of carbon pricing on Thursday – but there was no consensus on what approach to use, or whether there should be a national floor price.

The Prime Minister and premiers had a frosty opening to the meeting, sources said Thursday, with provinces and territories concerned the federal government was determined to impose its carbon-price plan on them. Instead, they found compromise language – endorsing the need for “carbon pricing mechanisms adapted to each province’s and territory’s specific circumstances” – and agreed to work out details over the next six months.

The heavily qualified language was necessary to win consensus from premiers such as Saskatchewan’s Brad Wall and Nova Scotia’s Stephen McNeil, who argued they are following different approaches to reduce carbon emissions.

Federal, provincial and territorial officials will now work over the next six months to forge a concrete national plan that leaders hope to endorse at another summit in October. They will concentrate on four key areas: clean technology, innovation and jobs; carbon pricing mechanisms; specific opportunities to slash emissions; and measures required to adapt to a changing climate and severe weather.

“Building on our progress today, we are confident we are setting the country on a path toward long-term, clean growth; critical emissions reductions, and a healthier, more prosperous future,” Mr. Trudeau said after the meeting. The Prime Minister declared it a success that premiers endorsed the concept of putting a price on greenhouse-gas emissions.

“We have agreed to carbon pricing mechanisms right across the country,” the Prime Minister said after the meeting. “Every single premier signed onto the Vancouver Declaration, which highlights that there will be different approaches but pricing carbon is part of the solution that this country and all of its premiers will put forward.”

Mr. Wall said he can agree to carbon pricing under a broad interpretation of that phrase. He said his province captures carbon dioxide from a coal-fired power plant and sells it to oil companies for use in extracting crude – a form of “carbon pricing,” he said.

But he said he would oppose any effort to impose a broad-based carbon tax or cap-and-trade system on his province.

“Carbon pricing” is an imprecise term. Typically, it refers to measures that establish an explicit price on carbon – either a tax or a cap-and-trade system. Under that definition, British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec either have or are adopting a carbon price.

But government regulations and subsidies for renewable energy or clean technology development act as a hidden “price on carbon,” paid for by industry, taxpayers and power customers.

Mr. McNeil argued that his province also has a form of carbon pricing – it is reducing its dependence on coal-fired power and purchasing more expensive but cleaner electricity from the Muskrat Falls project in Newfoundland. “We believe our carbon tax is actually in our power rates,” Mr. McNeil told reporters prior to the session.

After a rough opening, the premiers began working more constructively when they focused on the gap between what Canada promised in Paris – the 30 per cent target first proposed by the former Conservative government – and the measures now in place to meet that objective. Mr. Trudeau produced an Environment Canada forecast that showed that, under current measures, Canada’s emissions would be at least 765 megatonnes in 2030, while the target is 524 megatonnes.

The federal government also invited Loblaw Cos. Ltd. chief executive Galen Weston to give an address over lunch. Mr. Weston told the leaders that Canadian business needs clear signals from government that carbon emissions will face increasingly more stringent pricing over time, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said in an interview.

“That was not something we had a national consensus on and I think now we do,” Ms. Wynne said. “I think it is a significant signal to everyone in the country that that is the direction we’re moving.”

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said she was pleased that leaders recognized the “urgency of moving Canada’s resources to market in a responsible, timely, predictable and sustainable way.” She said she will be working with the Prime Minister, and premiers from British Columbia and Quebec, to win approval for oil pipelines to the west and east coasts.

Heading into the meeting, B.C. Premier Christy Clark urged her colleagues to focus less on the acrimonious issue of a minimum carbon tax and more on concrete actions they could agree on.

“This is not the end; I understand that,” she said. “But I hope Canadians will look and say: ‘They got together; they made progress.’ It’s a start and you can only get to the end if you have a start.”

This is a lousy outcome for this meeting. Trudeau and the Premiers are framing this as a positive step forward, but the reality is that Trudeau has failed to move provinces to a minimum price on carbon, which is necessary to meet our environmental goals, and we're seeing the Premiers continue to weasel their way out of doing anything significant on the climate change issue.

My hope is that Trudeau is kicking this issue down the road for six months as a strategic move, recognizing that both Saskachewan and Manitoba have an election coming up, and no one wants to introduce anything new that's going to mess with their election chances. After the election maybe governments will be pragmatic, and more open to new ideas.

My fear is that Trudeau is spineless and he's not going to be able to get national carbon pricing done. This is an issue that may require more stick than carrot. Is he capable of that approach?

I've been quite happy with Trudeau so far. This is the first moment where I've been disappointed.

Walpurgis

Banned
Meet Gumistiyi
("the one that keeps trying" in Tsuut'ina)
trudeau-ceremonial-chief-20160304-topix.jpg

CBC said:
The headdress, or war bonnet, symbolizes accomplishment, respect, bravery and peace building. Tsuut'ina member Hal Eagletail, who acted as the master of ceremony, said the headdresses are only bestowed upon recipients the band believes will be warriors for them.

"We have the right to give this headdress to who we feel is worthy," Eagletail said. "In our Tsuut'ina culture, when you're elected a leader, you've earned that right to receive the headdress, because you need to go do battle for us."

[...] The Tsuut'ina First Nation rarely bestows ceremonial headdresses upon sitting prime ministers, though other Canadian leaders have received similar honours from other bands. In 2011, the Blood Tribe in southern Alberta named then-prime minister Stephen Harper the band's honorary chief and gave him a headdress of eagle feathers.

This is Ninayh’ poaksin from 2011
("Chief Speaker" in Blackfoot)
bloodtribe.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

CBC said:
Later, Chief Charles Weasel Head said the title was chosen because Harper "speaks as the chief. His words are words that come from his position."

He said the tribe made Harper a chief because of the residential schools apology he issued in 2008.

I didn't know that this was a thing. Very cool. Trudeau looks all dignified and leader-like. The headdress actually looks quite good on him too. Unfortunately, he cannot dance. Harper, on the other hand, looks like he's trying to push a fart out. As for his dancing, this is all I could find from nearly 6 years ago. The video speaks for itself.

Harper was given a pretty boring name, imo. It seems very procedural. With Trudeau, it seems that there is some faith in him. So far he's lifted the 2% yearly funding increase cap (which the Liberals imposed in 1996 and everyone hated) and arbitrarily excluded those two aboriginal groups from the climate change meeting. Hopefully we get more of the former.

Pedrito

I want the thank to GOV for selling off our (almost inexistent) gold reserve. Anything that ruffles the feathers of the gold bugs/conspiratards is good in my book.

They're probably digging holes in their frozen backyard right now as this is clearly a sign that the shit is about to hit the fan.

It's an election year in Saskatchewan so I'm not really surprised.

And he's got to at least be thinking about jumping into federal politics. His lack of French would hurt him a little, but probably not to the same extent it hurts someone like Kevin O'Leary. We just hired an ex-Conservative staffer at my work, and was making small talk with her about politics. I brought up Wall, and now I have a new appreciation for the term "starry-eyed". She loved him, and I think there are a lot of Conservative members across Canada who feel the same way. I don't think his anti-environmentalism stance would play nearly as well on a national level, but I can still see how he'd be appealing to CPC voters.

don't forget to set your PVRs to record 60 Minutes tonight, our Supreme Leader will be on American television talking about the superiority of the Canadian way

Mr.Mike

pcpo_logo_png.png

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/03/05/ontarios-pc-party-unveils-a-new-logo.html

The Ontario Progressive Conservatives have a new logo. The P doesn't really look like a P, nor the C, but whatever.
Logo designer Dan Robertson of Indent Communications told hundreds of delegates to the PC annual meeting that blending the P more deeply into the C conveys “inclusion, renewal, openness and change” as the party reaches out to groups that traditionally don’t support Conservatives.

The exercise is meant to help overcome the last four election defeats to the Liberals and “a failure to expand beyond our core support,” added Robertson, who served as a senior communications expert under former prime minister Stephen Harper.

Mr.Mike

Also in more serious news, Patrick Brown has come out in support of carbon pricing.

http://www.cp24.com/news/pc-leader-patrick-brown-says-he-supports-carbon-pricing-1.2805409

In his keynote address to more than 1,600 PC convention delegates Saturday, Brown said the official opposition party must change if it wants to form government in 2018, and told delegates he became a Progressive Conservative because of the environment.

"Climate change is a fact, It is a threat. It is man made," he told the party faithful.

"We have to do something about it, and that something includes putting a price on carbon."

The line earned only muted applause from the Conservative audience and even some calls of "no."

Unlike the Liberals' cap-and-trade plan, which is expected to pull in $1.9 billion in revenues in its first full year, Brown said any price on carbon should be revenue neutral

It seems like he intends to drag the party leftwards and become the liberal party (perhaps a bit more classical than the modern Liberal party), but without all of the scandals.

Tiktaalik

A revenue neutral carbon tax seems like the appropriate position for a right of centre party. I'd expect other conservative parties to eventually adopt the same position (though maybe not Alberta...).

The policy can be argued as clearest free market solution and it results in tax cuts, which conservatives like. They can contrast this with the idea of putting carbon price related revenues toward vague sounding "green tech" and "green infrastructure" programs, and argue that that's just new program spending and governments shouldn't be in the business of subsidizing businesses, picking winners and losers etc.

Wooooooooooooooooooooow

think about it, the political correctness brigade goes around touting a gender neutral society where they want to erase any differences of depiction between a man and woman

okay, if absolute equality in all aspects of gender is a thing, then crack down on oppressive religious garb that is only directed at one gender in certain religiouns.

if you really want a gender neutral society, start putting burkas and niqabs on the men too

Alavard

think about it, the political correctness brigade goes around touting a gender neutral society where they want to erase any differences of depiction between a man and woman

okay, if absolute equality in all aspects of gender is a thing, then crack down on oppressive religious garb that is only directed at one gender in certain religiouns.

if you really want a gender neutral society, start putting burkas and niqabs on the men too

...what the fuck?

Silexx

Oh, gutter_trash, how we so readily forget the what happened not 5 months ago...

Azih

A personal choice to wear something has absolutely no relation to an employer requiring some of their employees to dress in certain ways.

What are you on gutter_trash?

A personal choice to wear something has absolutely no relation to an employer requiring some of their employees to dress in certain ways.

What are you on gutter_trash?

The troll juice. Sometimes he can speak the truth. Other times...well, he just showed it.

gabbo

Someone over in reddit posted this from a tweet

CdDYAPFUYAAIMWW.jpg

In case there was any doubt, yes it's Alberta.

In case that didn't load for anyone else:
i0oDUKV.jpg

Not sure what's going on, but it seems like we have some severe anti-NDP sentiment out there that's gone to ridiculous levels.

maharg

idspispopd
Oh it's been at ridiculous levels pretty much since the election. Definitely since Bill 6 came out.

Yesterday was allegedly the day that an anti-NDP activist was going to announce his fool-proof plan for ousting the NDP from government by appealing to some secret law that the Lieutenant Governor would have to follow. Turns out his big plan was to file a petition (which has no legal force) and tell people to buy NDP memberships. Search #kudetah on twitter for some of the fun.

Gitaroo

i0oDUKV.jpg

Not sure what's going on, but it seems like we have some severe anti-NDP sentiment out there that's gone to ridiculous levels.

sounds about right, because the government atm is completely useless.

Apathy

i0oDUKV.jpg

Thanks, it worked for me but I didn't realize it was not loading for some. I was on mobile so it was a pain to try to upload the image to imgur

It's #kudatah

Please learn how to spell maharg.

I find it funny that they are trying to say coup d'etat and come up with that because, as the guy who started it on facebook says "that's now how you spell it in english"

Also this - http://globalnews.ca/news/2450876/alberta-kudatah-plot-sparks-mockery-on-social-media/ people doing their best Ricky impressions to mock these people is my favorite part.

Conservative leadership race rules are up (and given in further detail on the CPC website. $100k entry free, and a $5m spending limit. For comparison, the Liberal spending limit in 2013 when they chose Trudeau was $950k , and the NDP's in 2012 was $500k, so a $5m limit is pretty crazy. Interestingly, donations to all candidates have to go through CPC headquarters, which means their fundraising totals for the next year are going to be crazy high.

They're also calling it "one-member, one-vote", but it's actually a riding/point-based system, with a preferential ballot. I think the Liberals had a similar set-up, though they opened voting up to registered party supporters.

The troll juice. Sometimes he can speak the truth. Other times...well, he just showed it.

If gutter has ever spoken the truth, it's been entirely by accident.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yesterday was allegedly the day that an anti-NDP activist was going to announce his fool-proof plan for ousting the NDP from government by appealing to some secret law that the Lieutenant Governor would have to follow. Turns out his big plan was to file a petition (which has no legal force) and tell people to buy NDP memberships. Search #kudetah on twitter for some of the fun.

The surest sign of a lunatic in politics is when someone claims they have a secret procedural move that is going to cause a revolution. See also the """arguments""" employed by sovereign citizen and anti-tax nutters across North America, birthers, etc.

Pedrito

The price tag to enter the CPC leadership race probably means we won't see fringe candidates like Bergen, Rempel, Leitch, Poilievre, etc.
Too bad, I wanted a GOP-style freak show.

maharg

idspispopd
The price tag to enter the CPC leadership race probably means we won't see fringe candidates like Bergen, Rempel, Leitch, Poilievre, etc.
Too bad, I wanted a GOP-style freak show.

Hey, I'm sure Kevin O'Leary still has enough money lying around from selling his bill of goods.

Can you imagine him in the House? "Mr. Speaker, I demand that the member opposite refer to me as Mr Wonderful."

The Wall

Banned
Perhaps the solution then, to maintain the fun and get equality, is to sexualize men's dress codes.

....please, no. Though forcing men in a work environment to wear some of the ridiculous things that are pushed/forced on women can give them just a smidge amount of the unwanted exploitation feels women have to put up with.

...this excludes men who would like that though. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom