• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announced Resident Evil 4 for PS2

Miburou

As has been mentioned before, releasing it on the PS2 isn't such a big deal, but announcing that before the GC version is even out is.

GTA 3 and GTA VC were announced for the Xbox long after the PS2 versions came out, for example.

Bishman

Sho Nuff said:
ouch2.jpg

lol I'm crying and laughing.

Eric-GCA

Banned
What intrigues me is what kind of load times will we be talking about for the PS2 version? The areas are very big and detailed.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Vagabond said:
Capcom have gone through 3 years of losses, right? The higher ups seem to be pissed. the dev teams probably planned to release a good number of games exclusively to the Gamecube, but the investors and higher ups probably saw it as a couple of the larger titles that are only reaching a small fraction of the market. They've raised year end net loss estimates twice this year. It's crucial as a profit-making company that they take as little risks as possible now, most likely. Businesswise, there's no true fault with this move.

If Capcom were exclusive to Gamecube you might have a point. PS2 received more games in one years than GCN has in its lifetime from Capcom.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Grizzlyjin said:
Am I the only one hoping Dante is a playable character in the PS2 version? That would be awesome. Make it happen, Mikami.

Nah, Venessa will be a playable character. This is after the port for PN03 is released

The Capcom 0!

Renegade

Banned
People went into this generation amped to the 'fact' that Nintendo was so agressive in securing third party titles. Moreso than they ever were in the N64 era.

Does anyone have any hope for third parties on the 'Revolution' now?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So this means we'll see rereleases of RE0, RE remake, RE2, and RE3 on the PS2 now sooner or later. MORE MILKAGE GET

Jonnyram

Eric-GCA said:
What intrigues me is what kind of load times will we be talking about for the PS2 version? The areas are very big and detailed.
It won't matter. People will still buy it. Besides, they'll probably put some extra content in it to secure more sales.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Lyte Edge said:
So this means we'll see rereleases of RE0, RE remake, RE2, and RE3 on the PS2 now sooner or later. MORE MILKAGE GET

I dont know about RE2 and RE3 since PS2 has backwards compatability, but I wouldn't be surprise if Capcom starts porting the other two titles to the PS2

snapty00

Banned
Vagabond said:
People went into this generation amped to the 'fact' that Nintendo was so agressive in securing third party titles. Moreso than they ever were in the N64 era.

Does anyone have any hope for third parties on the 'Revolution' now?
Nope. I didn't, anyway, but Nintendo is pretty much fucked in the third-party department.

Soul4ger

Wario64 said:
I dont know about RE2 and RE3 since PS2 has backwards compatability, but I wouldn't be surprise if Capcom starts porting the other two titles to the PS2

Didn't they say at one point that they're were only able to make the graphcis as good as they did in those thanks to help from Nintendo developers?

Eric-GCA

Banned
Jonnyram said:
It won't matter. People will still buy it. Besides, they'll probably put some extra content in it to secure more sales.

I'm not suggesting otherwise, I am merely curious thats all. heck, my previous post stated that this game is going to be huge and I used Tales of Symphonia as a reference, and that game had awful load times (compared to the GC).

Renegade

Banned
Society said:
If Capcom were exclusive to Gamecube you might have a point. PS2 received more games in one years than GCN has in its lifetime from Capcom.
Think of some of the larger games on GC, most notably Resident Evil. I'm betting that if Capcom was making profit then the Resident Evil games, Mega Man Collection, Viewtiful Joe and others would have been GC exclusive. However, Capcom has been in the red. Higher Ups probably demanded PS2 ports of the aforementioned games.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nintendo at the moment is being fucked like Jennifer Connelly in the last chapter of Requiem For A Dream.

And it's Sony doing the shouting ...

"End to end!"

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
GAFcry.gif

I will still buy it for the cube, but damn I REALLY want to be a fly on the wall in the Nintendo offices tomorrow.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Nash said:
Nintendo at the moment is being fucked like Jennifer Connelly in the last chapter of Requiem For A Dream.

And it's Sony doing the shouting ...

"End to end!"

Ass to ass :p

Soul4ger

Vagabond said:
Think of some of the larger games on GC, most notably Resident Evil. I'm betting that if Capcom was making profit then the Resident Evil games, Mega Man Collection, Viewtiful Joe and others would have been GC exclusive. However, Capcom has been in the red. Higher Ups probably demanded PS2 ports of the aforementioned games.

I can't help but wonder if games like Steel Battalion and other Xbox games weren't responsible for some of that, though...

But Capcom really did cut the Xbox fat, so to speak. Maybe none of their games are doing exceptionally well. I can't imagine that Onimusha 3 sold up to expectations, when it was the recipient of a price cut like three weeks after its release.

Deku Tree

Nintendo should have thrown big money at capcom. Nintendo needs to start either acting like a console manufacturer and do whatever it takes to shore up big 3rd party exclusives or get out of the console market and make console games exclusively for the PS3.

Zelda Reborn + Jungle Beat is not enough for 2005.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
solarplexus said:

lol

Mikami:
The only thing I can tell you now is Resident Evil 4 will definitely release only on GameCube, not on another console, if it happens, I will cut my head off.

Quick, someone make a photoshop of Mikami's head superimposed over Leon's head, with the chainsaw guy ripping his head off

I knew it as soon as I saw the first screens of the latest build. "They're dumbing this down to put it on PS2."

I weep for Nintendo... :lol

lmfao.jpg

First poster and thread sum the Nintendo fan mentality up quite nicely.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Vagabond said:

You previous post made it sound like GameCube put them in the red.

Bishman

Mikami:
The only thing I can tell you now is Resident Evil 4 will definitely release only on GameCube, not on another console, if it happens, I will cut my head off.

Someone tell Mikami we are ready to see it.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
OMG...can I tell you how many people come into the gamestore and that's the only Nintendo game beside Zelda that they talk about wanting to play? And how their going to react to knowing they'll be playing it on PS2? What is with this timing....

Jesus, someone turn out the lights, the GC situation is getting flat out ugly.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
All you can do is laugh now really, GC is making the DC's demise look quite graceful and dignified ...

Renegade

Banned
Soul4ger said:
I can't help but wonder if games like Steel Battalion and other Xbox games weren't responsible for some of that, though...

But Capcom really did cut the Xbox fat, so to speak. Maybe none of their games are doing exceptionally well. I can't imagine that Onimusha 3 sold up to expectations, when it was the recipient of a price cut like three weeks after its release.
From what I understand, Microsoft totally paid for Steel Battalion. No idea on Dino Crisis 3, though. The fact that MS basically footed the entire bill for Steel Battalion and it's sequel adds fuel to the reported deal of Steel Battalion being handed back to Microsoft/Bungie. IIRC, Microsoft gave Capcom funding to cook up the game for Xbox Japanese launch, included online modes and all. When Capcom gave back their estimates on what time it'd take to complete the game, Microsoft cut funding down and Capcom had to splint the game into 2 parts, online and off.. Still, to reach 50K for a game that costs 150K is pretty good, IMO.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, but they were stupid. VJ is hardly taxing
VJ not taxing? I don't think so. The game has it's share of very impressive visuals. It might be taxing in different ways than RE4, but cell shading with self shadowing and all those crazy effects in VJ, is no easy task for any console. It could have *easily* happened that the port would suck ass, if it was handed to a less capable developer.

(though the PS2 version still has its shortcomings).
They are really minimal, though. If RE4 would have the same kind of minimal level of shortcomings, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

shuri

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
OMG...can I tell you how many people come into the gamestore and that's the only Nintendo game beside Zelda that they talk about wanting to play? And how their going to react to knowing they'll be playing it on PS2? What is with this timing....

Jesus, someone turn out the lights, the GC situation is getting flat out ugly.

Print the page from capcom's site and put it on the front door

Insertia

Resident Evil looks like the largest leap in the series (and i'm sure the budget is massive) and Capcom wants to maximize sales.

Can't wait to see what RE5 looks like for PS3. :)

While this is obviously bad news for GC, I don't see how GC is significantly more "doomed" than it was a few hours ago. I really don't think it would have had that big an impact on hardware sales.

shuri

Banned
Father_Brain said:
While this is obviously bad news for GC, I don't see how GC is significantly more "doomed" than it was a few hours ago. I really don't think it would have had that big an impact on hardware sales.

The problem is for Nintendo's perception in the mind of the public

cvxfreak

I wonder how the port itself will turn out. I imagine that loading times will be similar to REOutbreak, which would be bad.

Top Bottom