• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil 7 biohazard has shipped 2.5M copies

HeelPower

Well, RE6 sold around 800 thousand copies in its first month in North America. And by the end of Capcom's 2013 fiscal year five months later, it had sold 4.9 million copies, down from a projected 7 million.

RE7 will absolutely pay for the failures of RE6, at least initially. The change from action back to slower-paced survival horror might hinder its chances as well. But word of mouth will likely allow the game to be a pretty big success long term. But I doubt it will hit 6 million+ sales in its lifetime, which would put it at around RE6's numbers. And that's fine, because the game has very likely been budgeted with realistic sales goals in mind. I think it's pretty safe to assume the return on investment for this title will be stronger than it was for 6 and maybe even 5.

They way I see it,Capcom is willing to take a short term hit in order to establish longterm legs by making a solid game.

Hope it pays off.

Athreous

The only problem is
the way that violence is treated in the game... You got stabbed, shot, go your hand cut and yet you stay alive...

The only problem is
the way that violence is treated in the game... You got stabbed, shot, go your hand cut and yet you stay alive...

Not really a problem...

You're infected so it's plausible from that standpoint. You also are not far enough along to where you can survive the stuff Jack can.

Koozek

Chief Irons was a nut!
The Spencer Mansion's eccentric design extending beyond the Arklay Mountains is explained by the fact that Umbrella had a lot (I mean a lot) of financial and political influence in Raccoon City, right down to its architecture. Of course, this explanation kind of falls apart by the time we get to RE4, including the inexplicable appearance of Raccoon City herbs, but hey.

And this.

Nah, it fit perfectly considering the above and the fact that the RPD used to be an old museum.
Ohh, didn't know this! Never really followed the stories in REs much, tbh.

PerZona

Numbers are quite low for such a famous franchise but it's probably the best selling survival horror game so far? No complains about that and the game is fantastic. Didn't expected that it would be so good, thumbs up to RE team at Capcom!

Oh, so
you can regenerate? Kind like how the bakers can?

on a small scale. You are not on the level of the Bakers. You can actually lose one of your limbs then pick it up heal with a first aid kit then your limb will be reattached. I did this when my leg got ripped off in a boss fight.

Jawmuncher

Numbers are quite low for such a famous franchise but it's probably the best selling survival horror game so far? No complains about that and the game is fantastic. Didn't expected that it would be so good, thumbs up to RE team at Capcom!

It needs to be RE2 which is at 4.96 million

So that's physical media at 2.5 shipped, and retail stores running out on both platforms (though xbone available form amazon in the uk). Doesnt include digital copies sold.

Mainly asked because I spotted this today and the numbers seem lower than expected really -

https://www.residentevil.net/en/sevenrecord.html?ref=fb

Mind you, it's January, and its only been out a few days...

(10% of players played in VR - wowzer!)

I believe this only count players who registered on the Resident Evil.net portal ?

Still this is really interesting for the PS VR stat !

I think it's kinda short with poor replay value and no bonus side content at all.

I can not applaud good sales for this game given how it's kinda a skeleton of content for the series.

Neff

I think it's kinda short with poor replay value and no bonus side content at all.

Madhouse mode is as good a post-game bonus and incentive to replay as any I can think of in the series since Claire B/Leon B.

Even without Madhouse, I'd disagree that it's not replay-friendly, since there's some fun items to unlock for finishing the game under specific conditions.

I do agree that it's slightly too short, though.

Why are there people comparing this to RE6? That was never the comparison to look at not even to Capcom themselves. Of course RE7 would be down in comparison to 6 especially at launch. That's a non mystery to anyone who looks at the landscape.

The game will have zero issues meeting it's sales targets. It's absolutely a success

Totally agreed. You could swap around the characters from the games and 99% of their lines would still make sense. It wasn't until 4 that characters started getting a semblance of unique personalities or voice (and even that remains inconsistant from one game to the next). Ethan has no less character or depth to him than say Leon in 2, or Jill in 3. The only thing holding him back from being on the same level of "memorability" is that the game is first person, and those characters were pretty much entirely reliant on the character design in the way they've endeared themselves to the fanbase.

Nah, the characters were established and had huge fanbases from the get go. They were never empty shells with names like Ethan. Is why people said things like RE4 Leon had a completely different personality to RE2 Leon.

Madhouse mode is as good a post-game bonus and incentive to replay as any I can think of in the series since Claire B/Leon B.

Even without Madhouse, I'd disagree that it's not replay-friendly, since there's some fun items to unlock for finishing the game under specific conditions.

I do agree that it's slightly too short, though.

Madhouse is just another difficulty level, every game has that. The certain conditions I assume you mean trophies like limited heals, items box uses etc, they aren't really content and such empty goals can be applied to any game.

Is no Mercenaries, no Raid mode, no multiplayer, no minigames, no branching paths, no alt scenarrios, no side scenarios, no special costumes (useless anyway), no alternate game modes.

Nothing. Very poor content for the series.

Mr_Zombie

I say this as a big lover of the franchise but (and I ask this sincerely) - what's so memorable and loveable about (say) Chris from RE5? Or Chris from RE1? Or Jill? Other that they are names that are familiar.

RE characters are mostly a bunch of tropes (Chris - the scout boy military guy who cares for his team; Ada - the series' femme fatale; Leon - a pretty boy womanizer who transformed from a naive boy to a US agent; Claire - a motorbike lover and a mother figure; Barry - a family guy with the love for guns etc.) with distinctive designs and (usually) color themes. Plus, most of them are sexy looking and likeable (even those who appear only in a single game) - sometimes because they are simply cute, sometimes, because they are fun, or just so over the top.

However, most of all, at this point in the series (20 years) they have a history. There's a reason fans were happy to see Barry in Revelations 2 (a character we last saw in RE3), were discussing whether that blonde, teenage-looking girl from RE4 or RE5 is Sherry, or want to see Billy / Carlos in the next game.

Nah, the characters were established and had huge fanbases from the get go. They were never empty shells with names like Ethan. Is why people said things like RE4 Leon had a completely different personality to RE2 Leon.

Whithout mentioning that he is a rookie, what is RE2 Leon's personality? Courageous? Selfless? Has a love interest? Those are all stock hero traits that all RE heroes have (except the love interest, until Ethan LOL).

People said RE4 Leon is different from RE2 Leon because he is. Because having A personality is different from having NO personality.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Madhouse is just another difficulty level, every game has that. The certain conditions I assume you mean trophies like limited heals, items box uses etc, they aren't really content and such empty goals can be applied to any game.

Is no Mercenaries, no Raid mode, no multiplayer, no minigames, no branching paths, no alt scenarrios, no side scenarios, no special costumes (useless anyway), no alternate game modes.

Nothing. Very poor content for the series.

FYI, Madhouse is more like a complete Arrange Mode ala RE Director's Cut Arrange Mode than a difficulty setting. After the prologue area it's surprising at times how much they change up, without saying too much.

Ferrio

Banned

From all accounts Madhouse is a different experience and not just a harder difficulty.

kromeo

Chris has no personality and has been in what, 5 games? And Jill isn't much better, can't say I care whether or not they feature again.

I won't object if Claire reappears though

Yeah, no. Instead of assuming, maybe actually look into it before spouting nonsense. Madhouse isn't just a cheap bump in difficulty.

Jawmuncher

Chris has no personality and has been in what, 5 games? And Jill isn't much better, can't say I care whether or not they feature again.

I won't object if Claire reappears though

Chris didn't have a personality in Remake and CVX. But he definitely got one in RE5 and 6.
Where he's more or less a "punsihed" character at this point.

Yeah, no. Instead of assuming, maybe actually look into it before spouting nonsense. Madhouse isn't just a cheap bump in difficulty.

It's not a cheap bump. But it's a far cry from something like Raid or Mercs, which is what I think he's getting at.
There's really not much reason to play the game once beating it unless you want to trophy hunt or just play through the game again.
This is more of a negative to RE7 because it's been kind of tradition for awhile to have a actual bonus mode of some sort once you beat the game.

Toxi

Banned
Honestly, outside of RE4 Leon I've never really cared about a Resident Evil protagonist. They're almost all varying shades of the everyman, whether they're a trained special agent or a random civilian. Part of the problem is that the writers feel the need to repeat the same stock reactions and situations with them, so supposed growth doesn't feel meaningful (or in the case of Sherry, ends up making her just like everyone else). Part of the problem with Resident Evil 6 having four different campaigns is that the protagonists all felt too similar.

Kalentan

I'd say Ethan is more subdued then an empty shell. Since he does have a personality and
various bits of dialogue really imply that this isn't his first run in with B.O.Ws. Not in the sense that he fought then before, but has seen them. Even studied.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'd say Ethan is more subdued then an empty shell. Since he does have a personality and
various bits of dialogue really imply that this isn't his first run in with B.O.Ws. Not in the sense that he fought then before, but has seen them. Even studied.

His line when he is
fighting Jack in the boathouse
where he says something like
Getting real sick / tired of your shit Jack
has as much sass I'd say as Leon does in 2

Kalentan

His line when he is
fighting Jack in the boathouse
where he says something like
Getting real sick / tired of your shit Jack
has as much sass I'd say as Leon does in 2

Another one from earlier.

Jack: "Groovy!"
Ethan: "No! Not groovy!"

While not the best voice acted, Ethan does have a fair amount of funny lines imho. And as the one you mentioned. Ballsy as well.

Ferrio

Banned
Ethan gets props for being the first protagonistic I know of in a RE game commenting on
how ridiculous having puzzles to unlock things is.

Neff

Madhouse is just another difficulty level

Nope, they've planned out a different route through the game because all of the items (keys, puzzle items, consumables) are in totally different locations, and remixed the monster placement accordingly.

The bonus completion conditions are specifically set by the game and offer practical assist items (in RE7's case
weapons, armour, item finders
and so on), just like every other RE game.

Top Bottom