• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil 7 biohazard has shipped 2.5M copies

Well, RE6 sold around 800 thousand copies in its first month in North America. And by the end of Capcom's 2013 fiscal year five months later, it had sold 4.9 million copies, down from a projected 7 million.

RE7 will absolutely pay for the failures of RE6, at least initially. The change from action back to slower-paced survival horror might hinder its chances as well. But word of mouth will likely allow the game to be a pretty big success long term. But I doubt it will hit 6 million+ sales in its lifetime, which would put it at around RE6's numbers. And that's fine, because the game has very likely been budgeted with realistic sales goals in mind. I think it's pretty safe to assume the return on investment for this title will be stronger than it was for 6 and maybe even 5.
Id buy another RE6. I have no interest in RE7 due to the genre shift, even having played all RE games on PSOne and code veronica.

This is far more likely to be the majority reasoning too. However Capcom seems to have handled this intelligently with smarter tighter design, and better budgeting. I'm pretty sure RE7 will be more profitable than RE6, but its never had a chance to sell more than it is.

ChazGW7

I doubt the game will hit 4 million by the end of March. The horror focus of the game will limit its sales and I imagine most horror fans will buy the game at launch.

You'd be surprised, word of mouth can be very influential. Especially for a game like this where the previous entry left a lot of people underwhelmed and put off from purchasing another in the series. 4 million is achievable.

allan-bh

Considering this, Resident Evil 7 day one -retail- shipment is more important than the one they made for Resident Evil 6. When adding the additional shipments, digital revenue and future bundles & discounts RE7 will end having way higher numbers than this 2.5M.

Are you assuming that 2.5m doesn't includes digital sales? Usually this type of number includes shipments for stores and digital sales..

Well, yeah, lack of interesting and known characters is kinda baffeling. I'm stunned at how companies (being for movies or games) still don't understand the importance of great characters. I mean, just look at RE4. Leon made that game.
RE7 does have interesting/great characters. Them not being series staples doesnt change that part

allan-bh

Do you actually 'ship' digital games tho? Surely they would only count as sold

Shipment is the same as sold in. We have several examples of companies that includes digital sales.

Why did you bellieve that Capcom would pass the chance of inform a higher number excluding digital sales?

liquidtmd

Banned
RE7 does have interesting/great characters. Them not being a series staples doesnt change that part

I'm curious about the people who don't agree with this and how they would have felt if Capcom had merely changed Ethan's name to 'Chris'

A few tiny tweaks to the script would have been easy and boom - there's your legacy player. It would have been easy and lazy but Capcom didn't shoehorn it in and I'm grateful they didn't bow to such silly pressure

Braag

I was really on fence about this game but having finished it now, I think it's the most fun I've had in a RE game since RE4.

I'm curious about the people who don't agree with this and how they would have felt if Capcom had merely changed Ethan's name to 'Chris'

A few tiny tweaks to the script would have been easy and boom - there's your legacy player. It would have been easy and lazy but Capcom didn't shoehorn it in and I'm grateful they didn't bow to such silly pressure

This. The game is better off for it.
I know the Jill/Chris/Leon/Wesker fandom is tainting some people's perspective on "good characters".

Jawmuncher

The great characters are the bakers though. Ethan and Mia sure aren't going to be living on as heavy fan requests looking at the general opinion of them which was just eh. Most talk In general is centered around jack.

Regardless of that. I think they'd have pissed more people off if ethan "just as is", but named Chris or Leon. Since for them to be in this situation and after the stuff they did in 6 would be odd.

But in general. I don't mind new characters. That's how we got Leon, Claire, Jake and others who are some of my favorites. I just think RE7 in the character aspect did a weak job with Mia and Ethan. Maybe DLC fixes that, if not oh well. Feels like RE8 is gonna have a new character again anyway, and then just call backs or to ethan and Mia.

They deserve success with this game, I will go on record and say it's my best gaming experience in a very long time, Albeit it's because of VR. The sense of presence and immersion you get is unlike anything, And switching back to first person mode games seems ancient in comparison.

They took a gamble and tried a new formula, I have recommended it to everyone i know who was interested in VR.

Hope its a runaway success for them.

Jawmuncher

I've only played the demo but it was really fun. I hope this marks a new chapter in the series after so many years of crappy action games.
tumblr_inline_obddivLYdW1qderj8_500.gif

liquidtmd

Banned
The great characters are the bakers though. Ethan and Mia sure aren't going to be living on as heavy fan requests looking at the general opinion of them which was just eh. Most talk In general is centered around jack.

Regardless of that. I think they'd have pissed more people off if ethan "just as is", but named Chris or Leon. Since for them to be in this situation and after the stuff they did in 6 would be odd.

I hear you and agree. It's just that you've got people in here saying effectively 'lol no old characters, I'm not interested' when IMO the personality of Chris and Leon change depending on whatever game they are in. And whilst they are entertaining I can't say they are developed at all to make me give a crap about them.

Chris is a plank of wood and Leon has a bit of sass and charm but mostly Saturday morning cartoonish and changes like the weather.

runs before the fandom comes after me RE4 villager style

Jiffster

Neo Member
So that's physical media at 2.5 shipped, and retail stores running out on both platforms (though xbone available form amazon in the uk). Doesnt include digital copies sold.

Mainly asked because I spotted this today and the numbers seem lower than expected really -

https://www.residentevil.net/en/sevenrecord.html?ref=fb

Mind you, it's January, and its only been out a few days...

(10% of players played in VR - wowzer!)

Ms.Galaxy

But in general. I don't mind new characters. That's how we got Leon, Claire, Jake and others who are some of my favorites. I just think RE7 in the character aspect did a weak job with Mia and Ethan. Maybe DLC fixes that, if not oh well. Feels like RE8 is gonna have a new character again anyway, and then just call backs or to ethan and Mia.

I think Ethan will be slightly remembered honestly. His one liners are still in my head. "One hell of a girl", "That's not groovy", "Now that's special..". He reminds me of a more quiet RE4 Leon.

That said, the Bakers stole the show. Jack and Lucas are fantastic villains, and worthy of the Resident Evil Cheese Writing it's known for.

So that's physical media at 2.5 shipped, and retail stores running out on both platforms (though xbone available form amazon in the uk). Doesnt include digital copies sold.

Mainly asked because I spotted this today and the numbers seem lower than expected really -

https://www.residentevil.net/en/sevenrecord.html?ref=fb

Mind you, it's January, and its only been out a few days...

(10% of players played in VR - wowzer!)

10%? That's more than I thought it would be. Nice statistic.

Why are people saying this is good news. Isn't 2.5 million initial shipment of one of the biggest franchises in gaming history very low? How did it not ship 4 million right away

Every big game ships 4 million at the start it seems.

Toxi

Banned
Why are people saying this is good news. Isn't 2.5 million initial shipment of one of the biggest franchises in gaming history very low? How did it not ship 4 million right away

2.5 million right away for a horror game is pretty damn awesome and isn't anywhere close to very low. Add great word of mouth and the game will likely do very well.

Jiffster

Neo Member

The numbers only refer to physical copies though, not digital, so there's really no way to know for sure how many copies have been sold yet. Of course, going by the stats on the link I posted earlier, that would suggest that a total of 649,117 unique game starts have taken place world wide so far. That's not a huge amount, but many who have bought it both physically and digitally may not have had the chance to play it yet for whatever reason (myself included...) - so only time will tell i guess!

The numbers only refer to physical copies though, not digital, so there's really no way to know for sure how many copies have been sold yet. Of course, going by the stats on the link I posted earlier, that would suggest that a total of 649,117 unique game starts have taken place world wide so far. That's not a huge amount, but many who have bought it both physically and digitally may not have had the chance to play it yet for whatever reason (myself included...) - so only time will tell i guess!

As mentioned previously, nowadays digital copies sold directly to consumers are combined with physical copies sold to retailers to provide shipment numbers.

TannerDemoz

You'd be surprised, word of mouth can be very influential. Especially for a game like this where the previous entry left a lot of people underwhelmed and put off from purchasing another in the series. 4 million is achievable.

Yup - a lot of people on the fence with this one waiting to jump. Even more when a sale comes in or if they continue to nail it with DLC

Neff

Apart from Jack and Marguerite, I thought RE7's cast was pretty dire, and a far cry from the characters we know and love from other RE games. They're visually uninspired (albeit impressively modeled), suffer from bland dialogue, and for the most part seem to have stepped right in from any number of super-dated horror games/movies. The story could have salvaged them if it had any spark of creativity at all, but it fell flat on its face imo.

That said, I still think RE7 is a great game nonetheless, and that its doubters should at least try it, particularly if they're long term RE fans.

Spman2099

Apart from Jack and Marguerite, I thought RE7's cast was pretty dire, and a far cry from the characters we know and love from other RE games. They're visually uninspired (albeit impressively modeled), suffer from bland dialogue, and for the most part seem to have stepped right in from any number of super-dated horror games/movies. The story could have salvaged them if it had any spark of creativity at all, but it fell flat on its face imo.

That said, I still think RE7 is a great game nonetheless, and that its doubters should at least try it, particularly if they're long term RE fans.

I agree that Jack and Marguerite totally steal the show. They are amazing. The rest of the characters are fine, if not a little unspectacular. However, two great characters is a huge improvement over the last two Resident Evil games, so I will take it.

Resident Evil 7 is a damn good video game.

That said the main protagonist pales in comparison to the villians. Mr. Baker is the best Capcom villian only short of Vergil/Wesker.

liquidtmd

Banned
Apart from Jack and Marguerite, I thought RE7's cast was pretty dire, and a far cry from the characters we know and love from other RE games.

I say this as a big lover of the franchise but (and I ask this sincerely) - what's so memorable and loveable about (say) Chris from RE5? Or Chris from RE1? Or Jill? Other that they are names that are familiar.

The settings, the tone, the gameplay and characters as a melting pot makes the franchise come together for me. When one is weaker, a combination of other elements make it stronger in each title in the series.

I'm not disagreeing with you either. I'm about half way through RE7 (I think) and Jack and Marguerite have been by far the most shining. I just have been with the franchise since day 1 and have seen nearly all the playable characters over the years in this particular series as pretty generic vehicles for the player to project on in the fantastical locales and situations.

Wesker was pretty damn enjoyable as a hammy baddie but he was getting into diminishing returns territory.

Even though I'm a big pussy and can't play it, I'm really rooting for RE7.

I hope it sells a ton of copies.

So I love the game so far, but I would actually argue that it hasn't been as scary as I thought it would be. It's an intense and unsettling game for sure but after years of juking Ganados (and Ganado like enemies) I've felt pretty prepared to deal with the Bakers even with limited resources.

I say this as a big lover of the franchise but (and I ask this sincerely) - what's so memorable and loveable about (say) Chris from RE5? Or Chris from RE1? Or Jill? Other that they are names that are familiar.

The settings, the tone, the gameplay and characters as a melting pot makes the franchise come together for me. When one is weaker, a combination of other elements make it stronger in each title in the series.

I'm not disagreeing with you either. I'm about half way through RE7 (I think) and Jack and Marguerite have been by far the most shining. I just have been with the franchise since day 1 and have seen nearly all the playable characters over the years in this particular series as pretty generic vehicles for the player to project on in the fantastical locales and situations.

Totally agreed. You could swap around the characters from the games and 99% of their lines would still make sense. It wasn't until 4 that characters started getting a semblance of unique personalities or voice (and even that remains inconsistant from one game to the next). Ethan has no less character or depth to him than say Leon in 2, or Jill in 3. The only thing holding him back from being on the same level of "memorability" is that the game is first person, and those characters were pretty much entirely reliant on the character design in the way they've endeared themselves to the fanbase.

Jiffster

Neo Member
As mentioned previously, nowadays digital copies sold directly to consumers are combined with physical copies sold to retailers to provide shipment numbers.

Are you sure about that? How do you know?

Im not saying you're wrong by the way, it just seems unlikely when you consider that numbers for digital copies sold don't tend to be available until a certain amount of time has passed after launch (e.g. psn is approx 1 month).

This is not the case for physical media and numbers sold in to retail can be fairly accurately accounted given it's physical.

Nzyme32

The only reason why I haven't plunged in is because i'm waiting for the Vive support on steam. Good to know the shooty bang bang open world isn't necessary for good sales.

Yep same. Won't bothering with it since I know that is sequestered for a year. Also pretty busy with other games, so it makes sense to just leave it till then when it will likely be cheaper anyway

Koozek

I hope it meets, or better yet, succeeds their expectation.

Loving the game so far (I'd estimate I'm at two thirds of the game, right now). Perfectly captures that classic RE essence, just from a new perspective. They found a way to organically incorporate every traditional element, like the level structure, resource management, the Nemesis-like recurring bosses, the virus-mutant stuff, the campiness, and even the puzzles somehow don't feel out of place (to this day I still wonder why the police station in RE2 had puzzles, lol).

This is the fresh start the series needed and it makes RE5/6 look even more silly now (though they admittedly were fun as mindless Co-op romps with my buddy who I've played every RE with since RE2, just not as Survival Horror games). Well done, Capcpom!

LowSignal

This is my GOTY so far. Not many games have pulled me into the experience like RE7 has. makes me wonder what P.T. could have been.

Neff

Great visual design, oodles and oodles of quotable one-liners, amazing feats of badassery, love those guys. Of course, they have 20 years of iconography backing them up, but it's earned.

Mia and Zoe look like they're doing their laundry, Ethan is a virtual shirt
. Their dialogue exchanges are direct and abrupt with only brief moments of character. It's a shame, because otherwise the RE experience is bang-on.

(to this day I still wonder why the police station in RE2 had puzzles, lol).

The Spencer Mansion's eccentric design extending beyond the Arklay Mountains is explained by the fact that Umbrella had a lot (I mean a lot) of financial and political influence in Raccoon City, right down to its architecture. Of course, this explanation kind of falls apart by the time we get to RE4, including the inexplicable appearance of Raccoon City herbs, but hey.

Chief Irons was a nut!

And this.

Still felt it was whack. Hopefully RE2make does a better job with that angle.

Nah, it fit perfectly considering the above and the fact that the RPD used to be an old museum.

Top Bottom