• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil 7 biohazard has shipped 2.5M copies

Pooya

Why? I mean, day 1 sales are better than the ones for Resident Evil 4, for instance, considering both GC and PS2 versions.

That was 12 years ago, a lot has changed since...It's about half of RE6 launch shipment and that game launched on 2 platforms instead of 3. PC version came out months later. JP sales looking to be quite a lot lower too. The game could have good legs, too soon to say but initial sales aren't exactly great. It seems very unlikely it will ever reach close to RE5/6 total sales.

That was 12 years ago, a lot has changed since...It's about half of RE6 launch shipment and that game launched on 2 platforms instead of 3. PC version came out months later. JP sales looking to be quite a lot lower too. The game could have good legs, too soon to say but initial sales aren't exactly great. It seems very unlikely it will ever reach close to RE5/6 total sales.

RE7 was probably way cheaper game to develop though. If I remember right Capcom went pretty much all in with RE6 production (Ubisoft amount of people working with it etc.) and then took this more horror direction with RE7 to scale down the budget.

Pooya

RE7 was probably way cheaper game to develop though. If I remember right Capcom went pretty much all in with RE6 production (Ubisoft amount of people working with it etc.) and then took this more horror direction with RE7 to scale down the budget.

The assumptions that this game is made on the cheap are unfounded, what's the evidence? there is no such thing as cheap AAA console game. Expenses shot up over ps360 development for everyone, that's what we've been hearing. This game took almost 5 years in development, that's not cheap.

You're also forgetting all the R&D that went into VR development and a new engine just for this game, they're not using RE engine for anything else unlike MTFramework was used for everything they had. If I had to guess, I'd say it probably cost at least as much as 6, likely more.

Why the FUCK are some of you hung up on SF when this is about RE?
Somehow, some of you just can't help but try and twist the perspective around and find SOMETHING to bitch about.

"RE sold good"
"But that SF THO"
"Capcom did good, love this game"
"Ohhhh yeah... SF THO"
"Great in VR"
"Ohhh b-but SF... that one's a stinker"

I know some of you just can't accept that Capcom is still capable or actually made something that people like. The similarities end with the pub, yet all this reaching for some negativity, addicted to outrage. Jesus fucking Christ.
Keep on failing and derailing in your sad, sad lives.

People keep saying this, but the only mention of RE7's budget was Capcom mentioning to shareholders that optimizing the fidelity for VR required an increase in budget from X -> Y.

Maybe because those were game with a huge marketing campaign and budget.

As was RE4 (and REmake and Zero, though these two underperformed).

People keep saying this, but the only mention of RE7's budget was Capcom mentioning to shareholders that optimizing the fidelity for VR required an increase in budget from X -> Y.

RE 6 was the biggest Capcom's team ever iirc. They wouldn't invest a similar budget in a survival horror game.

RE 6 was the biggest Capcom's team ever iirc. They wouldn't invest a similar budget in a survival horror game.

Has there been a single instance this generation of a developer saying they drastically cut the budget of a AAA franchise in the transition from PS360? Maybe Hitman in its transition to episodes, or Rainbow Six ditching story mode?

That's double of this, whao
Maybe they're right in that action sells lots more

RE5 and 6 are Capcom's two best selling games ever. Yes, action sells more.

However, RE6 also tarnished the IP and RE7 will pay for its sins. Hopefully positive word of mouth allows it to be a huge success, as it's the best game in the series since 4.

TannerDemoz

That's double of this, whao
Maybe they're right in that action sells lots more

Action does sell more in general that's the reason everyone's shifting towards it.

What I'm wondering is, from a company's point of view, is the ratio between high sales/negative publicity medium sales/good publicity.

Like, RE6 did insanely well. But, there was a lot of backlash from the community. Eventually that must become damaging enough for devs to hold their hands up and say we need to change.

Has there been a single instance this generation of a developer saying they drastically cut the budget of a AAA franchise in the transition from PS360? Maybe Hitman in its transition to episodes, or Rainbow Six ditching story mode?

I don't think they need to say this. Re 6 is a game with much more content than RE 7, everything about it screens big budget. The huge cast, graphics for a 2012 game, lenghty, marketing, etc etc.

myco666

The assumptions that this game is made on the cheap are unfounded, what's the evidence? there is no such thing as cheap AAA console game. Expenses shot up over ps360 development for everyone, that's what we've been hearing. This game took almost 5 years in development, that's not cheap.

You're also forgetting all the R&D that went into VR development and a new engine just for this game, they're not using RE engine for anything else unlike MTFramework was used for everything they had. If I had to guess, I'd say it probably cost at least as much as 6, likely more.

When RE6 was a disappointment at 4.5million and this game was projected to sell 2million I think it is safe to assume this has way lower budget compared to 6.

allan-bh

Maybe because those were game with a huge marketing campaign and budget.

So?

You can't say that 2.5m for a new mainline RE is great when the last two had much better numbers in the same time frame.

I believe is understandable because it's a new beginning, but is not great since represents a fall in shipments.

So?

You can't say that 2.5m for a new mainline RE is great when the last two had much better numbers in the same time frame.

I believe is understandable because it's a new beginning, but is not great since represents a fall in shipments.

That's what happens when you release a mainline entry that damages a brand's reputation. Your follow-up is going to suffer, no matter what. That being said, I have a feeling RE7's ROI is going to be much, much healthier than 6's.

Jawmuncher

We also gotta remember that RE6 is the better game.

wpjbgknqmg.gif

So?

Why not? even Capcom expected this. Anyone expecting this game to open with the 5 or 6 numbers are asking to be disappointed.

It's a matter of perspective, if they didn't invest as much as they did in RE 5 or 6 marketing they obviously know that the game would have a smaller start.

allan-bh

That's what happens when you release a mainline entry that damages a brand's reputation. Your follow-up is going to suffer, no matter what. That being said, I have a feeling RE7's ROI is going to be much, much healthier than 6's.

So the lower sales of RE 7 was caused by RE 6 and not because the game has different style?

Ok...

RE5 and 6 are Capcom's two best selling games ever. Yes, action sells more.

However, RE6 also tarnished the IP and RE7 will pay for its sins. Hopefully positive word of mouth allows it to be a huge success, as it's the best game in the series since 4.

It's already selling well. It's not being punished at all.

So the lower sales of RE 7 was caused by RE 6 and not because the game has different style?

Ok...

I never said RE6 was the only reason for its lower sales.

It's already selling well. It's not being punused at all.

RE7 will never reach the numbers of RE5 or 6. So yes, 6's tepid reception will absolutely play a part in its lower sales. Fortunately, it's likely to still sell quite well, all things considered. Because it's a fantastic game.

He said cheaper, not cheap.

For RE7, the reason for introducing this technology is because it got to a point where the technology they developed could create high-quality, equal to that of human hands effort, at a fraction of the development time, which allows them to make a lot of high-quality assets much more rapidly and make much more detailed environments and models, meaning they can make low-cost high-quality model data at a much faster rate than could be done previously.

Jawmuncher

Real Talk though. This is probably exactly how it's going down.

RE6 sold more and had more mind share. But a bigger budget for the time equals a bigger launch, so long as the company is playing their cards right. RE6 was more than likely profitable regardless, but not so much so capcom was swimming in money.

RE7 is selling less, but after doing more reading did have less of a budget. So more than likely the copies it's sold already are probably at a profit for them already. Less mind share and copies sold, but if your budgeting is better that's not an issue.

You can have 7 million vs 2.5 million (let's say 4 if RE7 makes that much), and have more profit off the 2.5 million sales.

The only factor I'm unsure of is where this puts the series popularity wise. Action is always going to appeal to more people after all.

RE7 will never reach the numbers of RE5 or 6. So yes, 6's tepid reception will absolutely play a part in its lower sales.

I think it's more than just reception of 6. Which isn't as low as people make it out to be. Remember gaf isn't the majority. Regardless of that, I think genre plays a factor. Horror isn't a big genre, to be fair that kind be attributed to not many players and a lot of it being seen as smaller experiences. RE will probably be the biggest player in the genre going forward. But its a genre that's always gonna be a weaker seller than action these days. Much like the shift with 4. They did turn off casual people who wanted another action game to go along with their upcoming RE live action movie for example.

ianpm31

Re7 was most likely cheaper to develop than 6. Just look at the expectations in their fiscal report. Many months before re7 released they were saying they expect to ship 4 million by March 31st. Re6 sold like 5-6 million and they were still not satisfied. Game sales are front loaded so if you put that all together you will get your answer in their expectation number. Not to mention I remember reading Re6 had a over 600 ppl working on the game in just 2 yrs worth of development time and a lot of it was outsourced to hell. Re6 was bloated

RE7 will never reach the numbers of RE5 or 6. So yes, 6's tepid reception will absolutely play a part in its lower sales.

1) How do you know it won't sell 6 million
2) The dramatic shift in game design could cause more a drop more than some pent up resentment from the last game.

You argument doesn't have much solid ground to stand on.

Why are many people sure this is selling less than than RE6 did? We have no evidence of sell-through for either game at the same point in time. RE6 drastically over-shipped and had the price slashed a few weeks after release.

1) How do you know it won't sell 6 million
2) The dramatic shift in game design could cause more a drop more than some pent up resentment from the last game.

You argument doesn't have much solid ground to stand on.

Because logic. Reception to previous games in a franchise have a level of influence on future sales. This is not rocket science.

Real Talk though. This is probably exactly how it's going down.

RE6 sold more and had more mind share. But a bigger budget for the time equals a bigger launch, so long as the company is playing their cards right. RE6 was more than likely profitable regardless, but not so much so capcom was swimming in money.

RE7 is selling less, but after doing more reading did have less of a budget. So more than likely the copies it's sold already are probably at a profit for them already. Less mind share and copies sold, but if your budgeting is better that's not an issue.

You can have 7 million vs 2.5 million (let's say 4 if RE7 makes that much), and have more profit off the 2.5 million sales.

The only factor I'm unsure of is where this puts the series popularity wise. Action is always going to appeal to more people after all.

Plus it repairs the brand reception. Everyone bought 6, but even casuals I talk to were put off by its dumb direction. No comparison to 7's goodwill right now, regardless of the Outlast whiners that are still left.

Spman2099

No one should, they did a terrible launch.

Capcom played themselves again.

I feel bad for Street Fighter players. Capcom is getting everything they deserve. I still love the game, but the way they released it, and the half-hearted support since, has been tremendously disappointing.

It is amazing that the same Capcom that released Street Fighter V (in the dire state it was in last year) released one of the best Resident Evil games in the series. Maybe there is still hope for them...

So you are talking put of your ass. I think we are done. You have nothing to back up your words as I thought.

Why don't you ask Capcom. Oh wait, they've already released their sales projections. Clearly, they agree with me.

Also, many people HATED RE5, which was basically RE4 without its genius, design, or fun characters.

So I'm not sure RE6 benefited a lot from coming after RE5. But it's clear RE7 feels like a step in the right direction after 6.

7 after 4 would probably not be that well received.

5 was significantly more well received by the community than 6.

Slaythe

Also, many people HATED RE5, which was basically RE4 without its genius, design, or fun characters.

So I'm not sure RE6 benefited a lot from coming after RE5. But it's clear RE7 feels like a step in the right direction after 6.

7 after 4 would probably not be that well received.

yurinka

So?

Ok...

A projected 4 million shipped within the first 3 months can easily expand to 6 million lifetime. I'm asking you and you keep failing miserably.

Today, the 30-50% of big publishers revenue comes from digital. Way higher than when RE6 was released. Today, most PC users wait until Steam sales for AAA games.

Resident Evil 6 was released in October, so a bigger shipment made sense because it was just before holidays season. RE7 is released in January.

In addition to this, RE6 was released when the console generation where it was released was 7 years old. And RE7 has been released when the generation is 3 years old, so the consoles install base is way smaller now (less than the half maybe?).

Considering this, Resident Evil 7 day one -retail- shipment is more important than the one they made for Resident Evil 6. When adding the additional shipments, digital revenue and future bundles & discounts RE7 will end having way higher numbers than this 2.5M.

Remember, RE5 sold 7.1M and RE6 6.6M units to date and they are Capcom's top 2 best selling games ever.
8 and 7 mill each? no it will not
7.1M and 6.3M
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
5 was significantly more well received by the community than 6.
No, like with DMC4, DmC, SFIV, SFV, RE6 etc it followed the Capcom's cycle:

So right now Capcom "fans" hate RE7, say that RE6 wasn't that bad and that RE5 was really good.
When RE6 was released they hated it, said that RE5 wasn't that bad and that RE4 was really good.
When RE5 was released they hated it, said that RE4 wasn't that bad and that RE3 was really good.

Resident Evil 6 had a development staff of more than 600, making it Capcom's largest production to date. RE6 has a lot more content than RE7, but RE7 in addition to debut in a new genre and VR also uses a new engine built for this.

kromeo

Well 5 was made to appeal to the console shooter audience and 6 had big hype and a huge marketing budget, 7 was never going to match those. 2.5m is still a good number for a purely single player game

Well 5 was made to appeal to the console shooter audience and 6 had big hype and a huge marketing budget, 7 was never going to match those. 2.5m is still a good number for a purely single player game

It's a fantastic number all things considered. And like I mentioned earlier, Capcom's return on investment is probably going to be significantly higher than it was for 6. They're a much more conservative company now than they were last generation. If RE7 sell half of RE6's total numbers, it'll probably be a decent success story for them.

I'm not talking about shipped numbers buddy.

You aren't talking about anything. You have NOTHING on how the two games are selling to consumers at the similar points in. All you have for RE6 is the initi shipments ie what Capcom projected for eachieving game. As I stated before RE6 wax drastically over-shipped. Please show me early numbers on actual sell-through for RE6. You can't do it. You lost this argument. You were talking big about something you have no real knowledge about,got called out and couldn't back up your talk. Take the L and move on.

You aren't talking about anything. You have NOTHING on how the two games are selling to consumers at the similar points in. All you have for RE6 is the initi shipments ie what Capcom projected for eachieving game. As I stated before RE6 wax drastically over-shipped. Please show me early numbers on actual sell-through for RE6. You can't do it. You lost this argument. To got called out and back up your talk. Take the L and move on.

RE6 sold 6.3 million copies as of September 2015.

And you really need to take a chill pill.

The assumption that there are executives at Capcom that actually thought REVII the way it is now would do the same numbers as a mainstream action games is stupid. Of course they cut the budget for REVII.

Blueblur1

I doubt the game will hit 4 million by the end of March. The horror focus of the game will limit its sales and I imagine most horror fans will buy the game at launch.

RE6 has sold 6.3 million copies as of September 2015.

And you really need to take a chill pill.

So you have no evidence of how it was selling to consumers until 3 years after launch when it bargain bin by the end of 2012? You literally have nothing to compare the games sales other than your scientific declaration that it will pay for the previous game's sins?

I doubt the game will hit 4 million by the end of March. The horror focus of the game will limit its sales and I imagine most horror fans will buy the game at launch.

That is really a baseless assumption. There is no reason to believe the game's sales trajectory will be different from any other game because of genre. Positive feedback, brand power and price drops will spur sales just like any other game.

So you have no evidence of how it was selling to consumers until 3 years after launch when it bargain bin by the end of 2012? You literally have nothing to compare the games sales other than your scientific declaration that it will pay for the previous game's sins?

Well, RE6 sold around 800 thousand copies in its first month in North America. And by the end of Capcom's 2013 fiscal year five months later, it had sold 4.9 million copies, down from a projected 7 million.

RE7 will absolutely pay for the failures of RE6, at least initially. The change from action back to slower-paced survival horror might hinder its chances as well. But word of mouth will likely allow the game to be a pretty big success long term. But I doubt it will hit 6 million+ sales in its lifetime, which would put it at around RE6's numbers. And that's fine, because the game has very likely been budgeted with realistic sales goals in mind. I think it's pretty safe to assume the return on investment for this title will be stronger than it was for 6 and maybe even 5.

Shredderi

You aren't talking about anything. You have NOTHING on how the two games are selling to consumers at the similar points in. All you have for RE6 is the initi shipments ie what Capcom projected for eachieving game. As I stated before RE6 wax drastically over-shipped. Please show me early numbers on actual sell-through for RE6. You can't do it. You lost this argument. You were talking big about something you have no real knowledge about,got called out and couldn't back up your talk. Take the L and move on.

Chill out for christ's sake man. You're making this way too personal.

Well, RE6 sold around 800 thousand copies in its first month in North America. And by the end of Capcom's 2013 fiscal year five months later, it had sold 4.9 million copies, down from a projected 7 million.

RE7 will absolutely pay for the failures of RE6, at least initially. The change from action back to slower-paced survival horror might hinder its chances as well. But word of mouth will likely allow the game to be a pretty big success long term. But I doubt it will hit 6 million+ sales in its lifetime, which would put it at around RE6's numbers.

I'm by saying you are wrong I just don't think it's guaranteed to do worse. Initially you used RE6's initial shipment as evifence of more demand which is a faulty because we know it failed to meet those lofty expectations. After enough enough heavily discount sales it's possible. That is the only reason RE6 sales are that high. It has similar sales to RE5, but like it no where near the same average selling price. I don't think RE7 will match RE6's the first month NPD, but the simultaneous PC release date and overall rid in digital sales could make up the difference.

Chill out for christ's sake man. You're making this way too personal.

It's not personal and I'm not angry. Sorry if it came off as too aggresive. Obviously I'm quite invested into the franchise though.

Top Bottom